Not open for further replies.

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Dashmiel

Several hours later

The skies over Lutetia appeared dark to the casual observer, and only those with a keen eye could barely discern the gradually growing shift in the grays at the boundary of heaven and earth. The awakening of a new dawn was upon the city, still a bit over an hour away but inexorably coming nonetheless. Perhaps in more ways than one, thought the massive figure leading the pack of monsters through the streets.

The pack's run had been a success, Ragenard thought. As the night progressed, he felt the wild aggression of the heated challenge they had all been exposed to settle into a more ordered rhythm. It wasn't anything any of them had to think about, it just happened. Their primal instincts had been awakened during the night, and given an outlet to order themselves in.

As Ragenard led them riotously through their territory in Lupaix, he made no effort to curb their enthusiasm, allowing the packs energy to ripple freely through them. The result had been a mild sort of rampage through town, as the pack roared, barked, ran, and howled freely. Those fastest on four legs weaved in between buildings and light-posts, and innocently startled the rare late bystander. Those fastest on two ran over low roofs and awnings, and many a window was suddenly shuttered at their passing.

To them it was a fun good time, to Ragenard it was a show of force to the people. Regardless of what anyone might have heard, or whatever the rumors flying might be, one thing was clear. The Bloodstone pack still was. And with every powerful howl he sent up, he dared the night to question if the pack was still strong.

As their progress gave way through Lupaix and shifted into the Phantom Quarter, Ragenard's hunger began to ripple through him again, and he led them all ever faster. In the no mans land that was the Phantom Quarter, he began to more carefully direct them. A bark here, a yip there, and with an occasional rough push, he got the pack together in an rough sort of formation. His movements were careful and constrained, weaving among them when needed, leaping over at times, but never straying from his position at the front for more than a minute.

Then they had reached the forests, and then began the hunt. Over several hours they had a chance to sate both their stomachs and their primal instincts. Rather than take over and decimate the prey population, Ragenard made sure to keep his place in order in the hunt, working along with the pack as it's leader should.

By the time they made it back to the Medical Center, Ragenard got the distinct impression that a more cohesive and less stressed group had returned than at first had set away, and he was pleased.

He sniffed the air of the approaching morning a few times and gave a final howl to the dying night before triggering his change back with a pop. In mere moments, he stood back on his human form, and his features while no less grim looking, seemed to have love some roughness around the edges.

"Alright folks," he shouted while giving his newly reconfigured muscles a few stretches "we had a good time, and I hope you guys remember it. But we'll be getting back to the shit storm in no time I'm sure. So take a few to decompress, we'll be facing a new day soon. Don't do anything too crazy and watch each others backs, stay in contact in case another call to gather has to go out."

"Bast! I'll need you to sort out whoever needs alibis for the events at the Den and send them to me so I can be sure they got their stories straight before we disperse for the day. And make sure whoever you think needs a reminder that the Med Center is not a clubhouse and that their lips need to be shut about it gets it!," he said before starting to head inside.

"After that you can hang out for a bit, don't go nowhere, I got something to talk to you about. But first I need to see I left enough of Des' head still working for him to be useful."

as written by Faithy

Aimee headed back to where she had woken up after her bandages were changed. It hurt more than she wanted to admit, but at least it was done and over with. She rolled onto her side and curled up into a slight ball. It wasn’t long before her mind started to wander about what had happened at the Den. Had she even done any good? Would things have turned out differently if she hadn’t disobeyed orders and went to get some free booze? Did she actually keep the three from being killed by the Scions or did she just muck stuff up? Aimee had no idea, not really, but the thoughts were enough to keep her from sleeping, at least for a while.

“Am I nothing more than a stupid pup who can’t control her addictions?” She grumbled and finally gave up and fell asleep. It wasn’t until she felt the pack returning that she slid out of her bed. Her stomach growled and her head was hurting something fierce, but Aimee was glad she was still alive. It definitely could have been worse.

as written by Script

While the pack had been running, Seri had remained behind, taking a catnap on one of the chairs in the med center's lobby. Finding a comfortable spot to sleep was infinitely easier in his chat shape, and so the werecat was bundled up in a pile of clothes in the form of a rough-looking black feline.

His ears twitched at the sound of howling and then yelling outside, but he remained resolutely in his spot. He was comfortable, now. Moving was not an appealing option.

Across the room, Connor, now returned to his human form and in a fresh set of clothes, had been dozing up against the wall. It had been only a light sleep. Though he was tired from the long road trip, the events following their arrival had been tense enough that it made it difficult to fully doze off. He perked up upon hearing the return of the runners, hoping that there'd be a chance for more amiable introductions before the night was out.

Quinn was seated nearby, a book in her lap titled 'Songseeker' that she seemed to be engrossed in - though to the observant eye, her eyes often flicked up from the page to take stock of the room. The sound of the returning pack provoked little outward reaction from her, beyond setting her bookmark on her current page in anticipation of her reading being interrupted.

Amongst the returning Bloodstones, Snow was quick in shifting back to his human shape whilst Ragenard was starting to give out orders. Lingering only long enough to listen and be certain he wasn't needed for anything, he then made his way inside, making a beeline for an empty room and a bed. The run had left him worn out enough that he hoped that sleep would finally come to him, despite his difficulty in finding it earlier in the night.

as written by Lialore and Knosis

The door frame looked as though it was holding Brendan up. He slumped against it, gaunt, a cracked mug with a dribble of liquid remaining hung from his grip as he stared at the bloodied mess that was Desmond upon the shoddy bed. He’d been watching his chest rise and fall for a while now. It was a small miracle, after all.

He hadn’t slept. Just watched, mostly, and attempt to make small talk but submit to the exhaustion that still refused to give in to his agitation. Yet, his eyelids began to droop, his head nod. Then a smash. The mug that had been swinging precariously from his index finger after being emptied hit the floor and shattered into porcelain pieces with a sound far too loud for most to handle right now.

Brendan jerked. Cursed. Kicked a piece.
Felt like crying.
So cursed again.

The clash of shattering glass made Chloe flinch in the darkened hallway. Peeking through the door and finding who she was looking for, she slowly allowed herself in.

The red headed woman looked half dead on her feet herself. Her eyes were dark, and her movements were stiff as if she had taken a beating herself. Giving a look over at the unconcious Desmond she grunted and shrugged towards the mug.

"Thought he might have woken up and you were already yelling at him..." She muttered.

Brendan grunted in reply without looking at her. He blinked a few times at the mess then resumed staring at his lump of a brother, settling to scratching his jaw that was covered with stubble of an uncommonly long length for him. His voice sounded as tired as he looked.

“Yer never known me to throw stuff at him though. Yer must’ve guessed how pissed off I am… came to check…”

"Honestly, only know very little of you, so I wouldn't know." She said blankly. "But yeah, I did guess you were a bit upset. Came to check up on both of you.." She slumped against the other side of the doorframe. "How is he doing?"

as written by Tiko, Lialore, and Knosis

Desmond cracked one eye open as the commotion and noises going on around him nudged its way through his unconscious stupor. His healing was already well on the way, but every muscle, joint, and nerve ending in his body screamed in protest as he stirred.

"Don't suppose it's not too late to pretend to still be asleep?" he mumbled.

Apparantly despite the thrashing he had just endured, his sense of humor had not been dampened one bit.

"Well, you are the master of deception after all, might as well give it a try, brother" Brendan said, shrugging his shoulders away from Chloe. "And naw, 'asleep' and 'knocked the fuck out' seem a bit different to me... but if you're up for round two, I ain't in the best o' moods."

If she hadn't been so tired, she would have jumped clear from her skin as soon as Desmond spoke. This brought a disapproving frown at the laid up individual. "You'd have to get in line." She told Brendan gruffly.

"Aw come on," Desmond replied. "I 'ad a perfectly good reason for all of this... that I'm sure I'll remember just as soon as me 'ead stops tryin' to split in two," he added with a wince.

“No. I got it. Get it. Just dunno why you didn’t tell me” Brendan said.

"And get you thrashed by Ragenard too? Besides, we need at least one of us on 'is good side," Desmond answered grimly. "This needed to be on me and me alone. But if it makes you feel better, next time I'll sleep in, an' you can get your face punched in."

Brendan ground his teeth together, finally looking at his brother for the first time since he'd woke.

"You really don't think there was a better way to introduce our family? Not a conversation to be had? A warning given? That coulda' easily ended in carnage..."

Desmond sighed and rubbed at his brow as his humor did little to stem his brother's ire.

"You know that things 'ere aren't like back 'ome. Ragenard couldn't accept outside 'elp without being seen as weak, an' the pack with him. By me makin' the call before 'e made a move for pack leader, there's a chance now that 'e will let them stay. I gave 'im a choice 'e wouldn't 'ave 'ad if 'e knew what was going on. Never intended to win tha' fight. but 'e wasn't undermined this way, because 'e 'ad no position in the pack when I brought them in. And now everyone remembers it. This will 'eal," he said with a gesture to his face. "This pack won't if we keep losin' people."

"I told you, I get it" Brendan replied. All this sudden thinking and talking was reminding him of how exhausted - and hurt - he was.

"Just strange now there ain't no confidin' in me..." he trailed off then pushed himself from his leaning post, ready to leave.

Even if it hadn't been meant to be a jab at her, Chloe winced at Brendan's words. The two brothers hadn't always been at odds, but it seemed to have gotten worse with her around. She moved off her perch as well, backing out into the hallway slightly.

She felt she had to at least mend this while she could, even if it wasn't something terribly wrong with it now.

"He didn't confide in you under my advice.." She said quietly before adding rather quickly, "I'm not really with the pack, so he spoke to me about it.. Easier for me as I've got no family in the pack if Ragenard decided to punish all of the culprits in this idea. Desmond he could pound into the ground, and me.. Well he'd run me out of town. Easier than having both of you down for the count when he really needs you."

She bit the inside of her lip. "I'd rather be run off than have Ragenard have to punish the pair of you, especially if it means the survival of your family." She murmured.

Desmond looked about to say something, but stopped and sighed. His headache was threatening to split his skull wide open, and his mouth felt like it was on fire. Whatever bridges needed mending with his brother... now was no time to try and fix them. Later he told himself. Later.

Unfortunately for Desmond, his impulsivenes often left him rushing forward headlong with little regard for anything beyond the moment. And usually he was off again after some new fixation before he'd even finished picking up the pieces his from previous ventures.

This had never really strained things with Brendan in the past, and on the contrary his brother was always right at his side through it all. But since Lutetia... his brother only seemed to be growing more mature, more focused on the long term. With Desmond showing no sign of slowing down, the tension between the pair only seemed to be growing day by day.

Brendan was bothered by what Chloe said. It bothered him a lot. But this was only reminding him further that he needed to let go, let loose a little. He looked at her warily. It’d be nice to tell her that all the increased friction wasn’t being caused by her, that it was something that had been a long time coming and that she shouldn’t worry or feel guilty. It’d be nice to tell her that what she had just told him changed the way he felt right now. That just wasn’t the case. Something had changed. Yet, who was to say that this wasn’t inevitable anyway…
He just stood, slumped, and looked around shiftily with eyes that had little life in them.
“Better hope your advice keeps him out o’ trouble more than mine did” Brendan said after chewing over her words, then left.

as written by Knosis and Alara

Chloe went to grab for Brendan, but it was too late. He was gone. Guilt flooded over her and she staggered slightly until she leaned against the wall and slumped down to the floor. "When did things get complicated.." She grumbled.

"Things been complicated wi' me brother for a while now. This is 'ardly the start of it," Desmond answered. "'ows it goin' wi' me cousins an' Ragenard out there?" he asked.

Chloe sighed and shook her head. "Well, he didn't immediately run them out of town. They opted to stay here while the rest of the pack went off to hunt. Probably really exhausted from the ride here and then the little scene you caused." She murmured. "Skye was sawing wood when I passed her room though, so I think they're all okay."

"'an 'ow about you?" Desmond asked.

Chloe bit her lip. Her bones still ached at the unchange that occured while the pack was having at each others throats, although it was more of a dull memory at this point. But mostly..

"Just tired." She answered. "Worried, but mostly just tired."

"You should get some sleep," Desmond replied. "I'll be right as rain come tomorrow, an' we can both 'ead out an' get smashed. Cause that's soundin' like a 'ell of a great idea right about now," he added with a chuckle. "You can get to properly meet me cousins."

The woman smirked and picked herself up from the floor. She gently sat on the bed beside Desmond, giving him a half smile. "Sounds like a plan..." She sighed and leaned down to kiss Desmond's forehead as gently as she could. Pushing herself up a bit, she looked him in the eyes and added teasingly, "I'll stick to a corner in here unless you personally want to kick me out of your room.."

"Tha' depends... you plannin' to maul me while I'm sleepin'?" he asked with a wink. "You're welcome to me room. Though I expect Ragenard will come knockin' at some point 'ere."

The red head couldn't help but smile a little despite things. "Maul? Nah. That's for later." The smile was short lived at the mention of Ragenard. "Don't think I'm too worried about him.. If I keep my eyes down and don't cause too much attention, I don't think he'll worry about me either.. His little girlfriend on the other hand..." She trailed off and gazed sideways for a moment. "Nothing to worry about tonight at least.." She leaned forward to kiss his brow again. "Get some sleep. You look awful."

"Who, Julienne?" Desmond asked. "Nah, she's more bark than bite... aye, well maybe more bite than bark, but you just gotta understan' 'er. She cares about the pack. Once she sees that you do also, everythin' 'ill be right as rain."

His eyes drooped closed as they talked, and he seemed set to drifting off when the sounds of the returning pack began to reach them. He cracked an eye and chuckled wryly.

"So much for sleepin, eh?" he asked.

The chuckle left him wincing again. Downside top his metabolism was the ineffectiveness of painkillers.

Back outside...

"Yeah, sure thing," Bastien told Ragenard as the group began trailing inside after them.

With Ragenard off to in search of Desmond, it was Aimee that Bastien spotted first.

"Hey, Aimee, got a minute?" he called to her across the room to get her attention.

Back Inside...

"Eh, we'll see. I'm pretty sure she'll forever hate my guts after the one time.."

She grew silent as she noticed the other drifting off back to sleep. Shaking her head, she went to get settled to finally fall asleep when familiar sounds of a pack returning from a hunt began to fill the air. Desmond wasn't the only one looking wry. Chloe's face turned slightly grey and she leaned against the wall, letting her feet slide from underneath her. "Yeah.. So much for sleeping.." She agreed, holding her head.

Ragenard made his way straight for Desmond's room, before anyone got a chance to bog him down with questions. There would be plenty of time for those later.

On his way to Desmond's he caught sight of Brendan's retreating back, and after a quick mental debate decided to give the guy a chance to rest before seeing where they stood in the hard feelings department. Now wasn't the time for that. Maybe not anytime soon either, the way things were shaping up. It was the time to command.

Without so much as a knock, Ragenard waltzed into Desmond's room and stood imposingly staring at it's inhabitants. He briefly considered having Chloe take a hike but decided against it. Something about their poise together told him he'd have a pointless uphill battle the more he tried to push them apart and now wasn't the time to worry about that either. Besides, the bastard had been a bachelor long enough, why should he have all the luck?

"Your little stunt was probably the smartest thing I've seen done in the stupidest of ways in a long long time, cuz. How close are you to dead?" Ragenard grunted as he appreciated his handiwork. He doubted he'd have problems with anyone claiming he went easy on Desmond when he revealed Desmond's new standing in the pack later. Assuming he could stand to take it anyways.

In the middle of wandering around, she wasn’t truly paying attention to much of anything, but the moment she heard her name being called, Aimee shifted her gaze towards Bastien. Biting on her bottom lip while wondering just what he wanted, she exhaled softly and moved over towards him so that he didn’t have to call across the room a second time. Sliding her fingers through her unkempt hair, the female cocked her head at a slight angle.

“What’s up, Bastien?” Hoping this wasn’t about to turn into a lecture, she attempted to keep her shoulders loose, hating how tense she had felt since the attack on the Den. Dropping her hand from her hair down to her side, she wondered how much her torn up face was going to scar and wondered how long it would be until she could use her injured wrist.

"'ey... I thought it was rather ingenious me self," Desmond answered with a snort of amusement that he quickly regretted. His face was on fire and every muscle in his body protested even the minor movements involved in normally reflexive expressions. "I'll be back to meself in a few 'ours. No 'ard feelin's then eh?" he asked soberly.

"Can you help round up everyone who was at the Den last night?" Bastien asked. "Ragenard wants a sit down with you all to coordinate stories and alibis. It was you, Brendan, Chloe, Jacques, and Desmond, right? No one else was there that you know of?"

As he was talking something dawned on him and he frowned and looked around briefly.

"You seen your father get back from the run?" he asked.

Chloe remained silent as Ragenard entered, leaning her chin on her knees and tucking her arms around her legs. She had hoped if she looked as though she were comfortable, and not causing a scene, he'd leave her be and let her sit in on the conversation. Well, it wasn't the only thing she had hoped her keeping quiet would let Ragenard forget. It hadn't been by choice she didn't go along with the hunt.

Still, even if she had been thought of at all, it would seem her being a mere fly on the wall would allow her to keep her spot on the floor a while longer at least. The lids of her eyes grew heavy, and she closed them as she listened in.

“I can try, yeah. I don’t think anyone else was there, but I was a little sidetracked trying not to die. Last I thought, Desmond was passed out due to the ehh… scuffle outside with Ragenard. I’m sure Chloe and Brendan are with him, but I’ll scout them out.” Aimee paused to think about her father and whether she had seen him since the run. The longer she stood there, the more she found her mind wandering to the last time he had spoken with her and she realized she hadn’t seen him in quite a while.

“No, haven’t seen him. Should I be worried? I could go out and … well, never mind, probably not a good idea to leave.” Aimee exhaled deeply, squeezing the bridge of her nose to stave off that impending migraine.

"No, best if you stay here for now," Bastien said with a frown. "You'll need to get those injuries checked once Reinhard is free. Just give him a call and see if you can find out where he is?"

Aimee nodded with a slight sigh. She was getting the itch to spread her wings and fly, so to speak and was fun feeling just a wee bit claustrophobic despite how big the center happened to be. "Alright, I'll get them looked at soon, though Jesse redid the bandages on my face. Calling Jacques now." Aimee dug her phone out of her back pocket and hit her father's face on her list of contacts. As the phone started to ring, she ran her free hand through her hair gingerly.

As Aimee dialed the number a ringing came from the other side of the room where Jacques phone had been left sitting on a table unattended.

Glancing over towards the ringing phone, Aimee swore loudly. Ending the call, she rolled her eyes and glanced over at Bastien. "What now?" The urge to go looking for him was even greater now that she had no way of contacting him. What if the Scions got a hold of him?

To the side of the room, Seri cracked an eye open from his perch on a chair to survey the returning pack members as they passed though the lobby, taking note of where they went and with who, and trained his ears in on the various conversations that followed them. Alibis, a missing father, an angry brother. About as sunny a variety of subject matters as could be expected.

The scrawny black cat stretched out in his pile of clothes, considering returning to his human shape but deciding against it. If he was needed, they'd find him.

Connor, too, was watching the returning pack - albeit with more curiosity than calculated interest. There was no rest for the wicked, it seemed. Whatever hopes he'd had of a more relaxed atmosphere in which to meet his cousin's pack seemed to have been in vain. He wasn't sure what he'd been expecting, really. Circumstances were clearly not aligned to make that likely any time soon.

"No you had best stay here for now," Bastien said with a frown. "I need to find Ragenard..."

He picked up Jacques phone from the nearby table as he wandered off into the Med Center in search of Ragenard, leaving Aimee to mingle with the rest of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back