Cafe a la Demons (LadyAwesome x KaylaCautio)

LadyAwesome

@KaylaCautio

The Demon (KaylaCautio):

Name: Red
'Human' Alias: Joshua Teufel
Age: Appears 20, true age is unknown (he can appear/be older if you want)
Species: Demon
Abilities: Wears a human disguise 24/7 to keep from being exposed, can poison humans by dropping his blood into their food, consumes human souls for sustenance.
Appearance: Skin paler than most humans, red eyes, short black hair, most often wears a black t-shirt, black pants, red jacket, and gray tennis shoes. Also wears a bandage around his right hand, as do all of his younger brothers.
Personality: Red can be described as a stereotypical older brother. He looks out primarily for his family, but attempts to connect with some humans, hiding a longing to be in their society and accepted for what he is. He often keeps a calm composure, and tries to stay cool under pressure. He might have Borderline Personality Disorder, but if he does, he hasn't told anyone.

full

The Girl (LadyAwesome):

Basic Statistics:

Name: Angelica “Angie” Michelle Anderson
Sexuality: Straight, but very openminded
Likes: Love, pizza, video games, nature, anything weird unusual or strange
Dislikes: Bullying, Conflict
Talents/Skills: Roller Blading, Sports of almost any kind, Photography

Physical Characteristics:

Height: 5’5”
Weight: 150ibs
Race: Has a very strong German background
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Red/Auburn
Glasses or contact lenses? Contacts
Skin color: White
Distinguishing features: Her red hair and freckles along her shoulders
How does he/she dress? However she feels like dressing that day
Mannerisms:
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.) Nail biting when she’s nervous
Health: Amazing – very fit
Hobbies: Sports. Her favorites are Volleyball, Swimming, & Roller Blading
Favorite Sayings: “Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.”
Speech patterns: Says “Oh” quite a lot
Disabilities: None
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.): She doesn’t have a set style. She dresses the way she feels that morning
Greatest flaw: Being too curious
Best quality: The ability to make people feel good

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes:

Educational Background: In college currently
Intelligence Level: Averagely book smart. A bit more common sense than others
Any Mental Illnesses? No
Goals: To be a published photographer and open her own studio

Emotional Characteristics:

Strengths: Strong, athletic, caring, friendly
Weaknesses: Competitive, self-judgmental
Fears: To injure herself and not be able to play sports anymore
Dreams: Traveling the world and capturing it all on camera
Introvert or Extrovert? Extrovert
Optimist or Pessimist? Optimist
Logical or Emotional? A bit of both
Passive or Aggressive? Passive
Leader or Follower? Neither. Either. Just goes with the flow
Mature or Childish? Mature
Indoors or Outdoors? Outdoors
Day or Night? Day
Brave or Cowardly? Brave
Light or Dark? Both.
Judgmental or Accepting? Accepting
Generous or Stingy? Generous
Polite or Rude? Polite

Personality Summary:
She keeps to herself usually, unless you look interesting enough to talk to. She has a kind heart. Though she tries not to bring attention to herself, she is really spunky and full of life. She has many inner demons, but always seems to remain optimistic.

2746-29a00646d9d1c0890b4178d1d78a7f59.jpg

The Plot:

Muse A has lost nearly everything - her job, her home, most of her friends. She had been laid off from her job due to cutbacks, which meant she couldn't afford the rent for her apartment and got evicted, and her so called "friends" seemed to have excuses as to why they couldn't help her. All but her best friend anyway, who's couch she's been crashing on the last month while she looks for a new job.

One day, Muse A walks by a "Help Wanted" sign in a local cafe. It's a modern cafe, small, but there seems to be a good flow of customers. It looks decent enough, so Muse A decides to walk in for an application. She is way over qualified for a barista position, but she was desperate by this point and would take almost anything. Muse B is behind the counter, a smile on their face as they assist a customer. When Muse A asks Muse B for an application for hire, little do they know that Muse B is the owner of the cafe. Muse B likes what they see in Muse A and decides to hire them on the spot when they hear Muse A's sob story.

Weeks go by and it seems that Muse A is fitting in nicely with her new co-workers - all of whom are brothers, the oldest (Muse B) being the cafe's owner. Muse A and Muse B have worked closely together and have developed - dare they say - a friendship. They might even be developing something more than that. Little does Muse A know, however, that Muse B is hiding a VERY big secret. As it turns out, Muse B - and all of his brothers - are Demons in disguise as humans. When Muse A finally discovers the truth, will she run out of fear or will she be able to look past something so bizarre - and borderline terrifying - so that she can keep the job and the new friends she's come to love? What will happen to Muse A and Muse B's relationship when Muse A finds out they've been lied to since the beginning? And why is the demon family trying to blend in with humans in the first place? Maybe for something evil?

Even on her first day, there was a noticeable system between the brothers. The two oldest siblings worked the counter the most often, while the oldest was there the second oldest would wait tables. The two youngest boys also waited tables, and the middle brothers made the food and drinks. There were also some strange behaviors they would show occasionally. Aside from always wearing bandages on their right hands, they would approach sick customers and bring them to a back room, but the customer was never seen walking out of the door again. Speaking of sick customers, whenever a customer was noticeably ill there would be a specific pattern to it. But that could be just a coincidence, right? The owner had warned Angie never to go back to that room, but what could he possibly be hiding back there? Well, other than that, the Teufel brothers seemed like pretty friendly people, and Josh - or Red as his brothers often called him - had given Angie a spare room to sleep in in their own home. Deep down, however, Red could only fear the day his new human employee would discover the secret he and his brothers kept. He wanted to prepare for that day, but with running the cafe and looking after five younger brothers and now the human, there were t00 many other things running through his head every day to be able to do that.

Angie was walking down Main Street when she saw the sign - it was a big black piece of rectangular wood with big letters written in blood red paint. It read: "Sinner's Coffee" in big font, and the words "So good, it's a sin" written in smaller letters below it. She didn't know why, but she felt like that was the place to be for her right now, after everything that has happened.

She got laid off of her job as a Graphic Artist at the firm she had been working at due to the bad economy and such. The firm was a small, local company, so of course it went under, which meant her and all of her now ex-coworkers are out of the job. With no job, it meant no money to pay rent. She had a friend living in the city, luckily, who was letting her crash on her couch while Angie looked for work. She had handed out applications to all of the local Graphic Design agencies, but she hadn't yet gotten a response from any of them. So by this point, she had been looking for any place that would take her - graphic design or not.

Lucky for her, there was a "Help Wanted" sign in the cafe window. She looked through the glass and caught a glimpse of boys - probably all over 16, but not much younger than her - wearing aprons and talking with what looked to be customers. The cafe looked like it got pretty good business for being a local shop. She took a deep breath before opening the door and entering the cafe.

There was a soft bell that rang as she opened the door, but no one seemed to really notice her. She glanced around at the boys in aprons, assuming they must work at the cafe. Her eyes scanned them until she found one that looked a bit older - her age maybe - working behind the counter. She approached him, putting on a friendly smile. When she spoke, her voice was sweet, "Excuse me? Would it be possible for me to speak to a manager please?"

The boy behind the counter had looked up at the sound of the bell, then looked back down to the counter until he noticed that the girl was approaching the counter. He matched her friendly smile and gave a nod in response to her question. "Sure thing, you're speaking to one right now. What do you need?"

Red was actually the owner of the cafe, so even as he interacted with Angie he would glance around the room every once in a while to make sure everything was running smoothly. This was also part of his paranoia, wanting to keep his brothers safe. However, hopefully, to the girl it would never look like his attention was away from her. She may notice, being this close to him, that his eyes were red, where others would have blue or brown or green. Maybe he just had colored contacts in? The rest of him certainly looked normal enough, even if he looked the kind of guy who didn't get a lot of sun.

The rest of the boys continued their work, but the three waiting on tables kept glancing over at her, wondering what could be going on. Was she simply ordering something, or did she have some kind of problem with the cafe? Maybe she had suspicions about the name, or about them, or about their little place as a whole? Whatever was going on, they watched her as closely as they could without letting her catch on as they continued with their own tasks.

Last edited:
Angie hesitated, caught off guard by the man's eyes - she had never seen red eyes before, but she chalked it up to colored contacts. She didn't let it phase her for long before speaking again, "Oh, well, I saw the Help Wanted sign in the window and I was wondering if I could apply. I have my resume," She reached into her bag and pulled out a crisp white sheet of paper with black letters typed all over. It consisted of all her achievements as a designer, her college degree, her awards and skills - everything one might need for a career. She was a little worried that she might be too over qualified for something like this, especially since she didn't have any experience working as a barista. But she needed something, and if this is what she could get, then she'd be grateful.

She handed him the resume, still wearing a smile, "My name is Angie. I'm not asking for a job. Just an interview to start with, and if you don't like me for the position, I promise I won't bug you again." Her eyes had an almost desperate look to them, but she tried her best to hide her desperation as the manager took her resume and read it. He had been quiet the entire time, so she wasn't sure at all what he was thinking. It didn't help that his face didn't give away anything either. Still, she kept the hopeful grin on her face as she waited for his response.

As she waited, she didn't need to look around to see the other employees watching her. She could feel their eyes. She didn't feel threatened or uncomfortable, but she could tell they were curious about her and about why she was there. She turned to look around the cafe, catching the eyes of a young bus boy. She gave him a friendly smile, but he acted as though he had been minding his own business the entire time (which Angie knew wasn't the case). As she looked around the place, Angie saw that the cafe was a bit bigger than how it looked on the outside. She also noticed the intricate carvings on some of the walls. They looked like a bunch of curvy, loopy lines carved in red. She hadn't seen anything like it before, but she kind of dug it for being so different. She looked back up at the boy behind the counter 0 the one claiming manager - hoping he was ready to give her an answer.

He accepted the resume and his face fell to a neutral expression as he looked it over. He seemed to be a pretty fast reader, as he had just finished by the time she turned back from looking across the room. He looked up at her with a little smile on his face as he slid it back to her. "This is... exceptional. But are you sure you wouldn't rather work in a place where these skills have more chance of being used? Not that I'm trying to turn you away, but you probably wouldn't get a lot of chances to work with graphic design in a coffee shop like this."

He looked back to the resume for just a moment, thinking about what she said as he had started reading it. "Although... I suppose if you want to just start with an interview, I could give you one right now. Just keep in mind I'm not used to the hiring process, since all the people who currently work here are my brothers. They were kind of obligated to work here, in a way."

Angie gave a small smile at his comment, "Yeah, I-I know I'm not exactly the barista type." She sighed, "But the firm I was working for went under. I'm new in town, I'm just staying with a friend until I can find something, but it's been a while since I needed to do the whole job hunt ordeal. And it is A LOT harder than I remember it being." She had considered trying to get some freelance work, but she needed something steady to get her on her feet first; she could design in her free time.

She met the man's eyes, noticing that, though they were unusually red, they looked kind. "All I'm asking is one interview. You're not used to the hiring process, neither am I, so that's gotta even us out right?" She thought it was strange - not in a bad way - that all the workers were brothers. There were quite a few of them, and she had never seen an all brother cafe shop before. That was probably one of the reasons the cafe was so popular. Either way, she decided that she wasn't going to leave without at least an interview. "I have experience busing tables, so it'd be okay if you didn't want me behind the counter making the drinks." She gave a hopeful look to the man, secretly praying that she was getting somewhere, "Please?"

The man listened closely to her, then nodded when she had finished. "Like I said, we can do an interview right now. Look, there's an open table right there, it's perfect." He pointed behind her for a brief moment at a table that had two chairs across from each other. "Just give me a quick second." With that, he looked towards the room and called out. "Orange! Watch the counter!" A boy looking not much older than him approached and got behind the counter as Red made his way out to the tables. There he had no hesitation approaching the table he had pointed to and pulling a chair out for her, inviting her to sit down.

Angie smiled, "Thank you!" She followed him to the table and thanked him for pulling out her chair as she took a seat. Once he was positioned across from her, she spoke again, "My name is Angelica, but everyone just calls me Angie." She gave him a warm smile, "As I said earlier, I was laid off of my last job due to the firm closing down. I don't have much experience making coffee, but I am wonderful at cleaning and I am very friendly." She wasn't sure exactly what more to say, seeing as how she had no experience in this area, but she thought she might try to sell herself a little anyway. Her eyes remained locked on his as she spoke; she did remember that good eye contact makes for a better interview. Angie fell silent, feeling him studying her, and waited for his round of questions for her.

He listened to her closely, his red eyes seeming to sparkle or even glow a little. Maybe just the lighting. After a brief moment to think he smiled. "Alright, well... your last job was at a design company, right? Or at least had something to do with design? I have always hoped we could get some little advertisements for this place... do you think you can design business cards? I'm sure in the meantime we could find little jobs for you around here." Huh, from the way he was talking, it sounded like he already wanted to hire her.

Angie couldn't stop the huge grin that crawled onto her face. She hadn't even considered the possibility of someone hiring her as a freelancer. "Oh yes! I can definitely do that! Not a problem at all, Mr.--" She stopped, "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." Did his eyes just glow? she thought to herself. It couldn't be true, it was probably just a trick of the light. Though she had never seen someone with red eyes before - she figured they were just contacts. She had always imagined red eyes as scary, but there was something about this man's that comforted her instead. She tried to push the thought out of her mind and focus on the interview, but she still couldn't tear herself from his gaze.

Seeing her smile got him to smile as well, but when she asked for his name he seemed a little surprised for a second. "Oh. It's Teufel. Joshua Teufel. And you don't have to worry about formalities. I get that I'm supposed to be your boss if you actually decide to work here, but I figure since everyone else who works here is part of my family, I might as well treat future employees as part of the family. Right?"

"Very nice to meet you Joshua." Angie's smile only grew bigger as she spoke, "So you're offering me the job then right? That sounded very much like a job offer to me." She couldn't believe her luck! She hadn't even expected to be given an interview, let alone a job. She looked around the room, feeling the eyes of the other employees on her. She wasn't sure why, but there was a certain feeling about this cafe that she didn't recognize. Even worse, she wasn't sure if it was a good or a bad feeling. Still, she was out of options. Her month living with her friend was almost up, and this was the first offer she had gotten since moving here. She needed money and a place to live, and if she could work doing the thing she loved the most - being a designer - then she didn't care much to question what seemed to be fine.

He couldn't help but chuckle at her question. "If you want it, it's yours. And don't worry if my brothers seem a little stand-offish at first. It may not seem obvious at the moment, but we often take some time to open up to new people. You though... something about you seems special, I just can't quite place it. I'd love to have you on our team, and if there's anything you need, you come to me, okay? I may not be able to give you everything, but I'll do the best I can." His smile became a little less confident the more he spoke, simply because he felt like he was talking too much. He just hoped she wouldn't notice since he wanted to make a good impression on her, more than he usually would want to for others.

Back