Yun Lee

The Sculptor
Administrator
The Convergence Series GM
Staff Member on Hiatus
Calamitous Overture
A Prequel in Four Acts

One hundred years.

One hundred years since the Great Calamity, a powerful storm of malice and despair, sent the once proud kingdom of Hyrule to the brink of annihilation. One hundred years since hundreds, possibly even thousands of innocents from every race were viciously slaughtered by the ironically-named Guardians, machines who had been meant to protect them from great evil. One hundred years since every symbol of hope the kingdom had, be it the heroic Champions, the Royal Guard, and even the king himself, were overthrown and killed, leaving Calamity Ganon the throne. One hundred years since the last remaining member of both the royal family and Champions, Princess Zelda, locked herself away to seal Ganon inside the ruins of the castle with her newly-awakened powers, leaving the survivors of the horrible Calamity at the mercy of vile monsters and corrupted Guardians.

One hundred years had passed, but there was hope to be found, even in the darkest of times. Hyrule champion Link, thought to have succumbed to wounds during Hateno’s Last Stand, woke from a deep stasis. Guided by Princess Zelda’s telepathic messages, Link set out on a journey across the slowly recovering Hyrule to regain his memories and grow strong enough to defeat Calamity Ganon once and for all. He began by activating ancient Sheikah technology, in both their towers and shrines, solving puzzles and facing monsters in order to save Zelda one final time, reclaiming the legendary sword that seals away darkness as he did so. Soon, he would free the Divine Beasts, powerful mechanisms once piloted by the Champions of Hyrule that had been taken over by Ganon’s phantom scourges, of the toxic blights that caused them to wreak havoc on Hyrule for a century. In no time at all, he would rise up and save Hyrule, and he and Zelda could finally reunite and begin restoring peace and prosperity to the kingdom once on the edge of apocalypse.

At least...that is what was supposed to happen. But what nobody in this tale knew, was that something outside of their kingdom-no, outside their dimension itself, was beginning to take form. Something sinister, something vile, something that would change the future of Hyrule, and everyone who lived in it.

And in no time at all, it made its first move.

---

Act One: "Power"

---

de5doeyt58g01.jpg

Hyrule Castle, in its prime, had been a shining beacon of progress and hope for thousands of years. The greatest scholars, inventors, poets, artists, and soldiers all were visitors who worked to improve the kingdom for everyone. Seated at the center of Hyrule, it stood tall, it stood proud, but even then, it was always inviting, and the castle town below was a hub for trade and community. It was a symbol of peace, of prosperity, and above all, a symbol of a bright future that every inhabitant could look forward to for generations to come.

1200px-BotW_Hyrule_Castle_Close_Up.png

And now, one hundred years after the Great Calamity, it sat in the same place, only far less inviting. Surrounded by the rubble of the once great castle town, a cloud of maliciousness swirled around the dark fortress, now populated by Guardians and grotesque monsters. The once evergreen hill it sat on had decayed, leaving only dead trees and dry grass. But the exterior was far better than the interior; the once decadent and breathtaking halls and rooms were ruined, mere shadows of their former selves. The areas where the debris from one hundred years ago failed to block off were covered in a disgusting toxic sludge known as Malice, and the gaseous form of the stuff had created its own atmosphere. One would have to be mad to enter such a horrid wasteland, even if in the hopes of collecting rare and valuable treasure. But enter it someone did: someone familiar with this world, but oddly enough not from it, who walked past the ruins of the sacred ceremonial grounds, past the demolished castle town, and towards the castle with such a sense of authority that it seemed as if he owned it himself. And honestly, in his mind, he did. Or at least, he would soon enough.

He had gone largely unnoticed until he got to the castle, where he didn’t bother to hide himself, and allowed those inhabiting the castle to notice him quite liberally. The first to spot him were two Bokoblins patrolling the gate. Upon seeing this intruder, they readied their weapons-but only for a moment. Upon realizing who he was, they bowed in deference and continued their patrols as if nothing happened. As for the intruder himself, he paid them no mind and continued up the path to the castle. He did the same for every Guardian that targeted him with their lasers, only to cease after a few moments and continue scanning elsewhere. Even the Lynels that appeared in the gatehouses he walked through would vanish when he passed them by. He couldn't care less for these creatures, no matter how they seemed to respect him. No; all he could care about was waiting in the Sanctum, and he continued his pilgrimage to this place at the highest point of the hill.

The sacred room once used for divination and worship of the goddesses had been hideously defiled, turned into the home for something wholly sacrilegious. From the ceiling hung what looked like a disgusting heart, veins holding it steady to the pool of Malice on the ceiling. Made of an oddly metallic substance, the heart itself was decorated with strange constellations, glowing a bloody red.

bCCnPiw.jpg

Though, the intruder knew better, that this was not a heart, but a cocoon, and inside was a being he knew all too well, better than he knew Hyrule. Inside the cocoon was not just the almighty Calamity Ganon, Scourge of Hyrule since the dawn of time. No, inside was something far worse than that.

Inside the cocoon...was himself.

---

He did not go by the name Ganon-at least, not just yet. For the time being, he was Ganondorf, able to maintain his humanity without the demon inside him taking over. He had been defeated by the Princess Zelda of his world, and by her green hero, but, just like Calamity Ganon, he returned and took his revenge, and there was no one to stop him. He now had possession of the Triforce, an item of immeasurable power that countless past incarnations of his had never succeeded in keeping for long. It was his, and he had tasted victory, ruling over Hyrule as he had always wanted. But now he wanted-no, needed more. The rumors that the Hylian forces had survived his attacks made him wary of how long he could stay in power, and he desperately searched for a way to keep control. In the end, however, the way came to find him. A man, whose name was unimportant to the demon king, offered him an opportunity for great power. It seemed that there were rituals in place throughout many worlds, rituals that could make him powerful beyond his wildest dreams. That man gave Ganondorf an additional boost of power, and from there, he began planning a ritual of his own.

There were quite a few things that he needed to address, however. This was far from the first time he had attempted to take control of Hyrule, but the first time using such a new and potent method. From his understanding, many of these rituals ended in failure for whoever instigated them, whether it be from a lack of proper planning, selection of the wrong subordinates, aid from the "heroes" of the world it was hosted in...many things could go wrong. So that was why Ganondorf came up with his own brilliant idea, a scheme that no one else to his knowledge had ever thought of before. He would run not one, but two rituals, at the same time. One would take place out in the open, where everyone would be aware of its existence, and the other would occur in the shadows, closed off from any outside interference. His two generals, Ghirahim and Zant, could run the public ritual, and what became of them, he could not care less about. Though loyal, he wouldn't be surprised if they attempted to betray him someday, and this ritual of theirs could lead to their destruction, or build their loyalty to him if they did succeed. And if they still tried to revolt after? Well, with the power earned from his own ritual, he would have no problems stopping them.

With that all sorted out, now came the issue of location. At first, his own world seemed the perfect stage, but chances were that the surviving Hylians would aid those he brought in, and have more forces available to defeat him. He still very much desired to rule Hyrule, so where was not a problem; when was. At what point in Hyrule's timeline could he properly invade without a problem? He studied the timeline for quite some time before realizing something: outside of this world must be another Hyrule, one that did fall to darkness. And there was. In one Hyrule, their Zelda failed to use her powers in time, and the Ganon there, known as Calamity Ganon, took control and ushered in one hundred years of evil and destruction, even if sealed away for almost all of it. And it was teeming with a powerful toxin he knew as Malice, which powered him considerably. According to the man, Malice was also known as Malevolence, and it formed due to negative emotions manifesting into something tangible. And with these rituals creating more of it, he would be unstoppable.

Everything else was easy to deduce. How to bring in subjects for the ritual, how to select his subordinates, how to travel to this Hyrule and seal it off from everything else...it was all coming together. Ghirahim and Zant were already starting their ritual by combining may eras of the timeline and taking control of them all, and would have continue for some time until the Zeldas of those eras inevitably called upon aid from the outside. In regards to Ganondorf's own ritual, however, there was one final hitch, and that was none other than Calamity Ganon himself. Ganondorf couldn't take over this world if another incarnation still ruled it. No, he needed to eliminate him, while at the same time conserving his power levels, leaving fighting out of the question. Fortunately, his plan required no fighting whatsoever.

And that brought him to now, in the Sanctum, before Calamity Ganon himself, the one who had succeeded where all others had failed. Ganondorf's long red hair, a sign of his Gerudo heritage, trailed out behind him like a lion’s mane, and he observed the cocoon for a while, keeping silent at first.

77188.ganondorf_trailer.jpg

“.........”

Squish. It writhed. Squish, squish. It sounded disgusting. A single ray of light shone through it, one Ganondorf knew was where poor little Princess Zelda resided. This particular princess he didn’t know much about, only that she failed to awaken her powers in time, and as a result failed her people. Now she was finally making up for her mistakes...but not for long.

Finally, he spoke. “How repulsive.” Ganondorf walked forward, and the cocoon writhed again, and again, until it couldn’t stop moving. Squish. Squish. Squish, squish. As if it knew he was here, knew who he was. Was Ganon reacting that way? Zelda? Or perhaps...both of them? Ganondorf smirked, putting his hand on the cocoon, and it stopped dead in its convulsions. “Such a disgusting affront on the eyes...a filthy necessity, but unfitting for a king like us.”

Under his hand, he could feel the cocoon begin to vibrate slightly, as if humming in agreement with what he said. “I can help you,” he continued as his words sank in, smiling as he felt the humming intensify. “I won in my world too, you see. Can you feel it, Ganon? The power of the Triforce...it finally belongs to us. And I can use it to finish your reincarnation for you.”

Squish, squish.
It was overjoyed, or panicked if Zelda was the one reacting. Either way, Ganondorf couldn’t help but chuckle. “Of course, there is a price. You should know better than anyone that I wouldn’t help even myself if I couldn’t get something out of it." The writhing slowed, as if wondering what he could possibly want.

76796ce7dd03f6c5a85ef2707bed526a.png

"In exchange for helping you reincarnate...I want this world.”

The vibrations stopped. But he expected that. “Allow me to finish, won’t you? I’m not about to leave you with nothing but a reincarnation. I have an offer for you, one that you would be foolish to not accept. I can give you control of not just one Hyrule, but five.”

The vibrations began again. This was almost too easy. “Yes, five. Yours for the taking if you accept my offer. Otherwise, I will leave and claim it for myself. The choice is yours, but I think we both know what you will choose.”

The heavy vibrations gave him the answer he needed. “Good choice.” Taking a few steps back, Ganondorf raised his hands to the cocoon.

26146d78e3b8b4cd8ce82be4adbe7b16.jpg

The gaseous Malice in the room, originally just flying in the open, flew towards Ganondorf’s hands like metal to a magnet. Swirling around them to create a vortex of darkness, it soon shot out into the cocoon, which began to glow a garish pink. The vortex grew larger, the glow grew brighter, and with a loud WHOOSH, the entire sanctum was enveloped in the light for a full ten seconds. As it vanished, standing in the center stood none other than the demon king himself. But you wouldn’t know it on first look; he had reclaimed his appearance of over ten thousand years before becoming Calamity Ganon. The spitting image of Ganondorf, though his hair was fashioned into intricate ringlets, as it was during the era of Twilight.

latest

"That look was always a favorite of mine," Ganondorf mused, impressed by how quickly the Malice had transformed Calamity Ganon. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a small figure in a white dress, laying unconscious on the ground. No matter. He would deal with her later. Right now, all of his focus was on the former Calamity.

“Thank you. I was growing tired of how slowly the reincarnation took,” the new Ganondorf said, as he took time to admire the return of a body. Flexing and clenching his fist, moving here and there in place. Once he was satisfied, he turned to Ganondorf with an evil grin. “Now then...about these five Hyrules.”

This had been too easy. Ganondorf returned the grin with an exact mirror of it. "But of course. Let us get down to business."

End of Act One

Act Two: "Wisdom"

“Ugh…”

With a groan, Princess Zelda slowly opened her eyes, trying to wake up as quickly as she could. Her body, while not in pain, felt so weary that she wanted to go right back to sleep until it went away. As it was, she would need a few moments before she even dared to stand on her own two feet. Right now, she could just focus on waking her mind.

This was quite a difference to what had happened for the past hundred years. In the entire time she’d been sealing Calamity Ganon away, she didn’t get the luxury of sleep. Every day, every hour, she had been awake, focused on her duty to save her people while Link recovered. It was only fair; it was her fault this had all happened in the first place. Not waking her powers in time...how many lives could she have saved? It was a question she mulled over daily. Sometimes, when she was feeling rather selfish, she did wish for sleep, but would remind herself that she had a job to do. If she fell asleep, who knows what would happen?

Wait.

...What happened?

“!!!” That thought jolted Zelda awake, and she sat up, quickly taking in her surroundings. Pink...it was all pink. She extended her left hand out to her side, able to stretch it all the way out before she felt a wall. Smooth and durable, like a diamond. Just as sturdy, too. She did the same on the other side, and sure enough, the wall was there as well. She could feel her heart drop into her stomach, and her breath began to become more panicked.

original.gif

No, no, no, no, no-no. Calm down, Zelda.
She couldn’t let emotions rule her, not now. She needed to stay calm, as difficult as that was. She had to approach this in a logical, rational...wise manner.

First and foremost, she needed to figure out just where she was. She was clearly no longer sealing Calamity Ganon, so what was she doing? Zelda raised her hands above her head to see if she had room to stand. Okay, she did. Good. Using the walls as support, she got to her feet, again raising her hands above. This time, though, she could only get them halfway up before finding a slanted ceiling. Looking up, it appeared to be a long, pink structure with four walls that met in the center. The only thing coming to mind was a crystal.

ph9xcuaqgc2qbwe.jpg

...One that she was able to see and hear through, luckily enough. And just what did she see?

...she saw home. Not the castle as it had been recently, under a century of decay, but...her home. The Sanctum was as beautiful and decadent as it had been before the Great Calamity, as if it had never even happened. But even so...something wasn’t right. It seemed distorted, somehow. Perverted. As if something sinister lay underneath the beauty. And then, through a glimpse of a hazy atmosphere, she realized immediately what it was. Malice. Its presence was every bit as strong as it had been when she had been sealing Ganon away, even if less of it filled the air. Did...did Malice restore the castle to its original state? How? What was this?!

Undortunately, right then, she heard voices.

“You will pose as we were during the era of Twilight. With any luck, Ghirahim will be easily fooled, but Zant may not be. You should be able to kill both by the time he begins catching on, however.”

“Naturally. And when I do, the Triforce and Traitors shall be mine, and no one will be able to stop me.”

“And then you will rule all five Hyrules in peace.”

“Oh, I’m sure there will be the occasional uprising...but that always makes things interesting.”

Zelda couldn’t see who was talking, but she could hear them coming her way. Again, she could feel herself begin to panic, but she gulped it down. Stay calm, stay calm... what was she going to do? Hylia, what was the wisest thing? Oh. Of course! Zelda would never have thought of it, had it not been for her powers. Did that mean they still worked in this crystal? She could mull that over later. For now, she lay back down, exactly how she had before, and closed her eyes, just as their footsteps became all too close.

“I see the princess has yet to awaken.” He (Zelda assumed he was a he, considering how deep his voice sounded) chuckled, his voice indicating he was right beside her. “That seems to be a recurring trait of hers.”

She hoped the pink crystal could hide how red her face became at that comment. Oh, how she wanted to open her eye, even if only for a second. This had to be Calamity Ganon. What did he look like now? How could he have reincarnated? So many questions swirled in her head…

“Why don’t we just kill her?” !!! “She’s been a thorn in my side for the past hundred years, and no doubt will be the same for you. Besides...I would love to pay her back for one hundred years of stalled reincarnation.”

The other voice spoke up, thankfully from the opposite side of the room. “It’s tempting, I’ll admit. But unfortunately, I need her alive. If I want to rule this kingdom, I can’t start my reign with a beloved princess’ blood on my hands. Besides, she’s still powerful enough that she can seal me in here, just as she did with you.”

Ganon grunted, and turned away from the crystal. Zelda very quickly opened one eye to get a look at him.

Ganondorf.jpg

Towering over the crystal, he was a mountain of a man, with green skin, elegant black armor, and fiery red hair styled into unusual ringlets. So, this was his Gerudo form from another era? If she wasn’t so horrified, she would be fascinated. The horror grew even more as she noticed the man on the opposite side.

mig

...another Ganon?!

This one with his hair down and wild, just like the Calamity. How...how could there be two of them?! This couldn’t be happening. It couldn’t! The prophecy never mentioned a second one, or five Hyrules, or any of this! Her kingdom...it was in far more danger than she ever thought. She had to get out of here, stop them, and-

“What’s to stop her from waking up and destroying that crystal, then? No doubt she would wake up at an inopportune time…”

Zelda quickly shut her eye as the second Ganon walked to the crystal. “Relax. The crystal is something only I can destroy. The child will find when she wakes up and inevitably tries to break free that she can’t. Not only is it too physically strong to break…” He knocked on it for emphasis. “...but it can absorb her precious light powers, as well. By the time I let her go, she’ll be even weaker than before.”

“I see.” Ganon chuckled, and Zelda felt a chill run down her spine. “Well, before I take my leave of this wretched world, I want to show you something that could be an asset for you. I don’t believe you’ve any familiarity with the Yiga Clan, correct?”

The two started off, and before long Zelda was left alone again. She sat up now, looking around the Malice-fused Sanctum. So much...so much she couldn’t understand. How could Malice be manipulated by the second Ganon? How did Calamity Ganon suddenly become rational and bent on ruling, rather than destruction? What were those five Hyrules, and why did that second Ganon trade them for this one? She wanted to research more than anything, but she knew she couldn’t. In life, you really couldn’t do all you wanted to, even if it broke your heart to turn away from dreams and passions. She had learned that the hard way, and it was still relevant now. Hyrule needed its ruler, and she would die before letting that Ganon take her place.

Zelda-Praying.jpg

Closing her eyes, Zelda began to concentrate. She thought of him, the one person who could save them all. The one who had completed every trial the old monks had laid out, the one who was on his way to freeing the Divine Beasts... she could see him in her mind, clear as day, as if seeing him before her in person.

Just her light powers were called into question, yes? She had other powers that could possibly override this crystal.

There was only one way to find out.

If this failed...Hyrule would be doomed. And it would be all her fault yet again.

...Please...let this work...

...Link...

End of Act Two

Act Three: Courage

468px-Kakariko_Village.jpg

The rain came down hard, drenching Kakariko Village and the cliffs surrounding it. Everyone in town rushed inside for cover, save for two men: the guards outside their leader’s house. The Sheikah guardsmen refused to let the weather stop their job; the Yiga Clan could always use the rain to their advantage.

One guard, Dorian, suddenly turned to the South. “Do you hear that?”

“Hear what? The rain? Hard to hear much else in this weather…”

“No, no. That’s galloping I hear.”

“What, a merchant? Or maybe just a traveler trying to get out of the rain...I don’t remember the Clan using horses.” The other guard, Cado, still put his hand on the hilt of his blade, ready for anything. “I hear it too. It’s getting closer…” Sure enough, from the Southern entrance, a figure could be seen riding on a brown horse. No red or black could be seen, which meant no Yiga Clansmen, but a color did stand out: a sky blue, known only from the old days, a color that represented those chosen to fight for the Hyrule Royal family. Only one person wore a tunic in that color nowadays…

“Link!” Dorian felt immense relief seeing the Hylian arrive. After Link’s assistance with a stolen heirloom, Dorian had a deep respect for him. He was someone that could be trusted. Cado felt the same as well, as Link had brought his dearest Cuccos home. Oh, how he loved his Cuccos.

Link dismounted and tied his horse to a post. “Good evening, Link!” Dorian greeted heartily. “What brings you to-” He had no time to finish his question, as Link rushed past him into Impa’s house.

“...he was certainly in a hurry,” Cado observed. “I’ve never seen him so distressed before.”

Dorian nodded, looking at the house. “Whatever he needs to discuss with Impa...I’ve no doubt it’s serious.”

---

“Impa! Impa!!”

“Eep!” As the door flew open, the young woman cleaning the floor jumped, almost sprawling out on the wet floor.

“Paya!” Link rushed to her side, helping her up. “Sorry about that. You okay?”

View attachment 2519

“Y-Yes…” She certainly didn’t look okay. Paya’s face was red as an apple, and she seemed to both want to stay in Link’s arms and jump out of them at the first opportunity. “Th-Thank you, Link…”

“I trust you have a good reason for scaring my granddaughter, Link.” From the center of the room, seated on a few stacked pillows, was the leader of the Sheikah people, Impa.

One of the few survivors of the Great Calamity still alive, she certainly looked ancient. But even so, it was clear she wasn’t a woman to be underestimated. She had ruled for over one hundred years for a reason.

“Impa!” After helping Paya to her feet, Link rushed to her. “It’s Zelda. She...s-she-”

“Link. Deep breaths, boy. You’ll get nowhere without them.”

The Hylian took a deep breath, rather irritated by Impa’s remark. This was important news!

wOpm73o_d.jpg

“...Zelda. I was on my way to Zora’s Domain in Lanayru, but at a stable, I was sleeping, and she spoke to me.”

Impa seemed surprised by that. “She spoke to you?” That meant it was very important indeed. Zelda couldn’t talk to Link whenever she felt like; it was crucial she conserve all her powers against Ganon. “What did she say?”

“She said something went...went wrong. Another Ganon showed up, reincarnated our Ganon and rebuilt the castle with Malice, trapped her in a crystal, and was planning a...a ritual of some kind. I don’t know what, but our Ganon is going to take over five Hyrules with it. Then she said to talk to you, so...here I am."

“......................” For a while, Impa remained silent. Then, “...you haven’t developed a taste for Noble Pursuits, have you?”

“What? No! This really happened! She called my name, I woke up, and she told me all this, then said talk to Impa. ‘Whatever you do, hurry. I don’t know how much time we have.’ She finished with that.”

“...Paya. Go outside and look at the castle. Tell me what you see.” Her granddaughter nodded and scurried outside, leaving Link and Impa alone. “You've proven yourself to be a trustworthy young man, just as you were one hundred years ago. I want to believe you, Link, but this seems far too incredulous for me to-”

“G-Grandma!” Paya burst into the room, trembling-and not because of the cold rain. “The castle! It...it’s glowing purple!”

“What?”

“I can’t fully see it because of the rain, b-but it’s glowing so strongly!”

“I told you. Something went wrong!”

Impa was at a loss for words at first. “...then we have far less time than anticipated. Paya, declare a state of emergency in our village. I’ll send messengers throughout Hyrule, but I have no doubt other leaders will act accordingly.” Paya ran outside once again, and Impa again turned to Link. “As much as I want for you to free the Divine Beasts, there is something else you must do. I take it you’ve found the Darkness-Sealing Sword in Korok Forest?”

“Well, yeah, but..." Link shuffled awkwardly a bit. "I wasn’t strong enough for its trial.”

Impa shook her head. “You tried to obtain it far too earlt in your quest, boy. You have more than proven yourself its rightful wielder by completing every monks’ trials in Hyrule. You are ready for this sword now. Go immediately to Korok Forest, reclaim that sword, and then you may be able to free the Divine Beasts. But time is not on our side anymore. What we can and cannot do will decide the fate of our kingdom. Now go-hurry!” Not needing to be told twice, Link raced out of the house. Impa bowed her head, closing her eyes as if saying a prayer. “Oh Zelda...I hope we have enough time to help you. Otherwise...Hyrule may be doomed.”

---

Diiiiiiiiing! Doooooooong! Diiiiiiiiing! Doooooong!

Even amidst the pouring rain, Link could hear Paya ringing a bell to alert the villagers. Himself, he ran to his horse, who could sense trouble. She neighed worriedly as he mounted her, calming when soothed.

“Shh...it’s all right, Epona. Easy, girl.” Though Epona was at ease, Link was not. In fact, he was terrified. Everything Zelda had said was too far fetched to be true...and yet it was what was happening. The Great Calamity had been something Hyrule had been expecting, preparing for, and even then they were still not ready. What, then, did that mean for this situation? Would this new Ganon completely change everything? Would they even be able to stop him?

Zelda...she was the only reason Link wasn’t racing into the castle to confront Ganon. If she told him to talk to Impa, then that was his best course of action. Maybe she had a plan for all this? He hoped so. Otherwise...he didn’t want to think about otherwise. What he needed to do now was get out of here and go to Korok Forest.

“Hyah!” Epona galloped off, taking Link off into the mist. Don’t worry, Zelda. I’m on my way!

---

End of Act Three

Final Act: Calamity

Three days. Three days had passed, and finally, everything was ready. Ganondorf made a triumphant appearance to the Yiga Clan, a group of Sheikah who followed Calamity Ganon, and would now follow him. They were an eccentric bunch, and their leader, Kohga, was a complete imbecile, but he got to see their assassins and blademasters in action. They were a formidable foe, and could be very useful allies considering how undying their loyalty seemed to be. Calamity Ganon had introduced him, hailed him as his successor, and the Clan adored him. But, just in case, he ordered them to test their loyalty by stealing an important relic from the Gerudo women to the South of their settlement. Though he had no idea what these women owned, he knew there had to be something, and if the Clan truly wanted to prove themselves, they would find it.

Once he finished that trip and returned to Hyrule Castle, he would’ve been more than happy to begin everything, but Calamity Ganon strongly advised against it. “Wait until the Blood Moon,” he said.

Ganondorf looked away from the window, turning to face Calamity Ganon over by Zelda. “The Blood Moon?”

“Yes. Thousands of years ago, when the past princess and her hero sealed me away, I cursed this land. On random nights, the moon will rise with a blood red color, filling the air with Malice and bringing my slain servants back to life. It’s the time when Malice itself is created. You know all about Malice, yes?”

“I know quite a bit. It’s called Malevolence elsewhere, you know. And it forms through negative emotions.”

“Indeed. A Blood Moon creates more Malice, depending on how many negative emotions were felt during a given amount of time. When I was a voe like this long, long ago, I researched it, and tried to harness its power. But in the end, I was the one who lost control.” He paused. “In the library, I have a journal from the old days. Feel free to read it. I’ll have no use for it anymore.”

“You’re too kind.”

“I’m not kind enough. You saved me from dealing with a princess and her hero again. Even in my corrupted state, I was still somewhat rational. I could have taken over Hyrule and ruled it, but instead they trapped me away to let me lose my mind for another ten thousand years.”

“Those two are in my world, as well. I had done an exceptional job there, manipulating the Sage of Time, summoning armies and monsters until I myself was freed from my seal...only to be sealed away again by those fools. At least the hero of my world was idiotic enough to forget to seal me away. I came back, defeated them, and took the Triforce for myself, and had it not been for an intervention…”

“...they would have come back to defeat you.”

“They always do.” Ganondorf sighed. “Fortunately, this time we have the upper hand. Ghirahim planned to seal away every hero in his scheme, and here, the princess is a failure and her hero is an amnesiac. And with the princess still unconscious in her prison, I should have no problem releasing her.”

“What?! You’re going to-”

“Relax. Even with a Blood Moon, the power I require to send you out of this world and to send my victims in will be too much for me to sustain the crystal for only a few minutes. She will no doubt be unconscious during that time.” He looked over to the crystal, walking up to it. “Hard to believe someone as frail as she could seal you away from one hundred years.”

“Hmph. Her powers activated through love. Love! Her precious hero at death’s door was the only thing that finally brought her powers to life. That stupid love kept her going for this past century, and it only got worse when he woke up. Malice levels have never been lower, thanks to him running around and spreading goodwill. The last thing we need in this world is hope.”

Ganondorf watched the sleeping princess for a few moments. He remembered the Zelda of his world: graceful, elegant, a natural born leader who had no problem stopping him. It was a complete difference from this child before him. There was no way he could lose to her.

...right?

Hyrule_Warriors_Screengrab_10.jpg

...he turned to Ganon. “Where is the library? It may help to learn everything I can before the next Blood Moon.”

Ganon led him out of the throne room, but as he did, he swore he felt eyes on him. ...no. She was asleep, and he was just being paranoid. This was going to work, and he needed to stop treating the child as though she was a big deal. He had much bigger fish to fry, after all. And all he had to do was wait for the next Blood Moon, which would arrive...when?

---

Three days. Three days had passed, and finally, the Blood Moon was here. Zelda had been in this crystal for three days (or so she thought; after all she woke up at least a few hours afterwards). But that night, three days ago, she had overheard everything. Before they’d left for the Yiga Clan, the new Ganondorf had mentioned some sort of ritual. She’d learned all she could from her place inside the crystal, but even then she didn’t know much. All she knew was that this ritual would require outsiders to be brought into Hyrule, and would somehow result in more Malice. How it would do so, she had no idea, and that terrified her. Who were these outsiders he would bring in? What would they have to do for this ritual? She tried to figure it out in her spare time, but even then, she had to stay on her toes for the Blood Moon. If she could truly escape in a small time frame...she had no time to lose whatsoever.

And, at long last, the fateful night was here. Zelda remained the way she always did when either Ganon was here, lying as if comatose. Everything had to go right. If not...she couldn’t begin to think of what would happen if this backfired. But she refused to let this backfire.

“It’s time,” Ganondorf said, looking up to the top of the sanctum. The Malice in the air was increasing to almost suffocating levels. When the moon rose above the skylight, they would make their move...and so would Zelda. “Once it rises, you’ll be on your way to Ghirahim.”

“Yes...it shouldn’t be hard to overthrow him. And then, perhaps you and I shall meet again? Ruling six different Hyrules...how tempting that sounds.”

“You know...I was thinking the exact same thing. When the time comes...we will see who the true King of Darkness is. But for now, I bid you farewell. May you and I meet again, both of us victorious.”

Ganondorf extended his hand towards Calamity Ganon, murmuring some sort of black magic spell. A swirl of black and pink smog began to form around his feet, slowly rising around him as the Blood Moon inched higher and higher in the sky. Ganondorf turned to the crystal, and extended his other hand. Slowly, the crystal began to disintegrate from the top down, and all around the throne room, a vortex of Malice began to take shape, spinning faster and faster until the entire room was filled to the brim. All this transpiring, and Zelda couldn’t watch at all. Even opening her eyes for one moment could ruin her plans. Soon...soon…

The chanting was drowned out by the noise of the vortex, and the ground began to shake. Soon...soon...steel yourself, Zelda...soon… It was so hard to remain still, but she had to do it. This was her only chance to save Hyrule from a horrible fate. Even as the ground shook all around, as the Malice spun faster and faster, she forced herself to remain calm. She had failed her kingdom one too many times before.

468px-The_Legend_of_Zelda._Breath_of_the_Wild_Screen_Shot_3-16-17%2C_1.22_PM.png

tumblr_n9vbobV23b1sgurego3_250.gif

The Blood Moon rose, and Ganondorf shouted the last words of the incantation, thrusting his hands up towards the skylight as he did so. The Malice vortex around Calamity Ganon seemingly absorbed him, pulling him into the main vortex, which shot up into the red sky, as if a giant flare. No one in Hyrule would be able to miss it, the giant pillar of Malice that flew up and out into the air and beyond. And even then, it only lasted for about a minute, before seemingly flying up and out of the world, into the stars. Soon, all was quiet once again.

Then, Ganondorf did something he would certainly come to regret: he looked up at the sky, long enough to watch the red moon turn to white. Long enough for Zelda to get to her feet undetected. Long enough to put the biggest wrench in his plans that he had never expected.

Long enough for Zelda to attack.

screenshot_205_1024.jpg

“Ha!” Extending her arm now, the emblem of the Triforce appeared on the back of her hand, and a brilliant white ray of light shot out at Ganondorf.

“Wha-ARGH!!!” He barely had time to look over his shoulder before the attack struck, arching his back as retaliation against the light. Shakily, he turned to glare at Zelda, who now began to glow. “You...I thought you were…”

“Asleep? Yes. I know. I heard everything, Ganon. The ritual, the Yiga Clan, the five Hyrules...I know it all. And I may not be able to save those five…” Zelda reached both hands in front of her, creating a triangle with her thumb and index finger. “...but I can save this one!”

SHIIIIING! Another ray of light shot out from the triangle, hitting Ganondorf square in the chest. He howled with pain, leaning against the wall. "You little-"

SHIIIIING!! She attacked again. “I will seal you away to where Calamity Ganon once resided.” SHIIIIIING! “Your plans will be for nothing!” SHIIIIING! “Hyrule will forever be freed of the man known as Ganon!!!”

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!

The final ray of light hit its mark, causing a large white explosion in the throne room. The light absorbed the Malice within, turning the throne room back into its ruined state. As the smoke cleared, Zelda lowered her hands, taking a few moments to catch her breath. Now...just to seal him…

“Heh heh heh...a ha ha ha…”

What?!

The smoke cleared away, and right there, standing before her, was Ganondorf...completely unharmed.

“What?! How...but...you…”

“You’re not the only one with a few surprises, little princess.” Ganondorf extended his hand towards her, and Zelda gasped. Her body rose into the air, a good foot above the ground, a sphere of Malice holding her in place. Ganondorf grinned wickedly. “Don’t worry. I won’t hurt you...but you already knew that, didn’t you? Considering your penchant for eavesdropping. Come with me.”

As if she had a choice in the matter. Ganondorf started walking to the entrance of the Sanctum, pulling Zelda along. She desperately tried to break free of her prison, but it was no use. She had been so close! And yet...once again, her work just wasn’t enough.

“I hear you’re something of a scholar, Zelda. That’s new. The Zelda of my own world was something of a tactician, skilled in combat and war. Most Zeldas tend to be Sages, or simply princesses with magical prowess. A few standouts here and there: my Zelda, a pirate captain...but never a scholar! What a nice change of pace.”

He talked as if they were old friends, and it was driving Zelda crazy. Acting as if he already won...She needed to get out of here!

“Would you look at the sky, Princess?” He tilted the sphere upwards, allowing Zelda a view. High above in the sky, a sphere of Malice, exactly like the one she was in, floated down towards a shrine in the quarry. She couldn’t make out who it was from her place on the castle, but it looked like a little girl. Others followed suit, carrying other unconscious people of all shapes and sizes. Each one entered a shrine, and the Malice returned to the air, vanishing into the night sky.

“Calamity Ganon was powerful, in his prime. He had Malice in abundance, and could do phenomenal things with it. Imagine, if you will, that he also had a Triforce, and rational thought. That is what you’re up against, child.” It was clear he was proud of himself. “Even so, I knew he had been sealed away in this castle. You may have been late to awaken your abilities, but you’re still formidable, as is that little hero of yours. I expected you two to attack me one way or another, so to make sure my power remains superior, I brought all those people here for the ritual you heard of. Do you know what this ritual entails of, Zelda?”

“..............”

“Of course not. It’s never been performed in Hyrule before. Listen carefully, girl. Those people you saw, they are not from any Hyrules. They have no idea they’ve been brought here, and they will wake up in a strange place far away from home, with no way to leave. I’ve no doubt you waking up in that crystal terrified you; the fear they will feel waking up here will be tenfold.”

“You’re a monster.”

“Oh, believe me, I know. I haven’t even told you the best part. Among them, there are a select few that I’ve personally talked to. They will be working for me, against the others, as they no doubt try to defeat me. Defeating me would be the only way to get home, after all. But these people, they will generate even more Malice for me. How will they? It’s simple.”

24545123bb0aaff598e4e68cfbaa127d1521824866_large.jpg

“They will kill the others.”

“No!” That little girl she saw...all the others…they...

“Yes! Hyrule is going to be mine, and no one will stand in my way. I’ve made sure of that. The Malice they were all trapped in didn’t simply disappear into thin air-it’s keeping this world closed off from all the others. No one will come to your aid, no one will escape. Every single person here in Hyrule is at my mercy. Incredible, isn’t it? I’ve prepared for everything. Oh, wait. I need a bit more Malice for the barrier.”

The sphere around Zelda shot up into the sky, leaving her to fall to the ground with a loud thud. “There we are. Now, Zelda. I will offer you two different options. You can either surrender and wait peacefully for the end of the ritual, or resist and get locked up in a crystal again. I might even spare your precious Link if you choose the former.”

Link...Zelda hoped he was doing all right. He should have been in Korok Forest by now...Zelda hoped he was. If not...how would they ever be able to stop Ganon?

“Well? I’m waiting for your decision.”

“I...I choose…” Zelda stood up slowly, looking Ganondorf dead in the eye.

“I choose...to stop you.”

In an instant, Zelda was enveloped in brilliant light, enough for Ganondorf to shield his eyes. The light rose to the highest point of Hyrule Castle, and as Zelda clasped her hands together, rays of lights shot down around Hyrule Castle, enveloping it in a glowing forcefield.

“What?! What is this?!”

You failed to account for everything, Ganon. Zelda’s voice resonated in his mind, and he looked wildly around for the source. I will seal you in Hyrule Castle as long as I possibly can. Even if it costs me all my power...I will take every measure of my own to stop you.

“Grr...RAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHH!!!!! It was clear that Ganondorf was furious. Zelda couldn’t help but take a bit of satisfaction in his enraged screams. But right now, she had more important matters to take care of. She would give some of her own powers to a few people, people who could use the light to find the darkness in the traitors among them

And one more thing to take care of…

5768650-zelda.jpg

Link...I leave this all up to you. Free the Divine Beasts, stop the Traitors, and defeat Ganon once and for all. I believe in you, and everyone else. Good luck...and take care.

The fate of Hyrule rests on all of us.

---

“Gah!” The sword fell to the ground, clattering on the stone below. Link held onto his head, cowering at the sound in his mind. Zelda...but why was her voice so powerful? What was going on?!

300px-BotW_The_Great_Deku_Tree_Model.png

“Link...you heard her message?” In front of the hero, looming over Korok Forest, the Great Deku Tree’s voice echoed through the Lost Woods. “Zelda is using the last of her powers to aid you in this quest. Her powers will only last for a week’s time, as she is sealing a great evil inside Hyrule Castle.”

“Only a week?” Link couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Just a week...one week to free the Divine Beasts, defeat Ganon, and… “Deku Tree...what Traitors was Zelda talking about?”

“Killers among you all, working for Ganon.” How this tree knew this all, Link would never understand. Even so, he was deeply grateful for the Deku Tree’s wisdom and knowledge, especially now. “If you can find them out, you can stop their Malice harvest, and prevent Ganon from growing any more powerful.”

“.......” Link remained silent, picking up the sword he dropped. The Sword that Seals the Darkness-no, the Master Sword...only moments before, he had finally completed its test, and had a vision from one hundred years ago. After he had been put to sleep, Zelda brought it here, before sealing Calamity Ganon away. And now...now it could all be rendered useless. But Link refused to let it be.

6e93fb67b4ae917d2074ab21ad847cc7c29da9fc_hq.gif

“Deku Tree. What do I do now?”

“Zelda will contact everyone as they wake up, and send them to Kakariko Village. You must join them, and gain their aid in freeing the Divine Beasts. There will be casualties, but perhaps the light will defeat the darkness again.”

“No. Light will defeat the darkness. I’ll make sure of it.” Link sheathed the sword, then brought out his Sheikah Slate. “Wait-how will they get there in time? Without a Sheikah Slate-”

“They will find a Sheikah Slate in the shrines,” The Deku Tree assured. “The monks stored them in their pedestals, from long ago. They will be able to arrive in Kakariko Village easily.”

Link let out a sigh of relief. “Good. Well...here I go. Thanks, Deku Tree. Maybe I’ll make it back here before the final battle.”

Pressing the screen on his slate, Link began to float, quickly fading into a blue light. The Great Deku Tree watched him go silently. “Farewell, Link...may your mission end in success. And may those with you be able to return to whence they came…”

---

And so begins our tale. A tale of light versus darkness, of good versus evil...and of a return to the past, to the time of Murder Games. The fate of Link, Zelda, and all of Hyrule will be discovered...in Calamitous Reprise.

End of Calamitous Overture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back