Side Story Champions of the Arena III: Cursed Company

Chase Davenport

Chase had known something had been off before he had gone to the chamber of truth. In his gut, he knew something was wrong. " I think that while it might be smart to keep sending us back in time, over and over again, it has proven itself to be impossible to keep track. A loop does indeed close itself, but Arcade forgot that he is also a part of the loop. Though perhaps...." He mused for a second. " If we kill Arcade in a period before he created either of the games, then we can undo all the damage he has done. Of course, that would erase our current selves, but it also would make it so our past selves never experience this. And if I learned anything, someone once told me, memories, especially ones from past lives can be recovered.... though..... if we keep breaking and unbreaking time, we might just want up in a dark place."

@Sark @Team Prudence

Mollymauk Tealeaf

" I don't think it matters what we do from here, but I have a personal philosophy that might help us beat Arcade at his own game. What if instead of breaking things, we leave the past better than we found it."

@Sark @Team Oblivion

Something in Daniel felt righteous anger at what he heard. He grit his teeth and glared at the prisoner. "What do you mean, blood bound?!" he exclaimed. Whether saving their last question for something that mattered was immediately lost to Daniel. "I'm nothing like you!"

@Sark @Yun Lee @Vengeance

"Nothing has changed."
TRUTH
[Wrong.]
"Time is linear"
[Wrong.]
"No doubt the Librarians attempt to discourage us. To make us falter.
[Wrong again.]
"Life is futility"
[Very wrong.]
"The only certainty is his death coming closer"
[And taxes, but that's hardly relevant now. You just scored zero for five. No gold star for you.] The Librarian tutted. [You performed about as well as I expected, though. Can't say I'm disappointed. I never expected you to understand.]

The Librarian took a moment of pause, drafting out his response in his head. A sigh wheezed from his dry lips.

[I get it. You've got this whole 'edgy nihilist' thing going on. It's nothing I haven't seen before. As much as I'd love to chew the air about how swell life can be, time is the one thing neither of us has. So I'll keep it brief. Simple. The Timeline is already trying to straighten itself out. It's already unravelling ours pasts, tampering with our presents. Before you know it, there won't be a 'you' to know.]

[Don't confuse erasure with death, Henshaw. The later is a blessing by comparison. It won't be a surgical process, you know. You'll start to forget things. You'll start to lose yourself in mess of other 'you's. The men you were. The men you might one day become. The men you lacked the strength to be. You'll all start melting together. Merging. Meshing. Before the crushing weight of oblivion topples down around you, you'll have wandered endlessly through a timeless Hell, mad and weary.]

The Librarian turned his back upon the Cyborg, his hands looped behind his back.

[This little epiphany won't make you see reason, Hank. I know. It didn't make you see reason the last ten times either. No. You've only ever cared about yourself. Well... yourself, and a certain somebody...]

[Do you think your erasure will be precise, Hank? You're happy to wipe yourself from existence … but are you willing to do the same to her? Are you willing to deny her every moment of joy you shared together? Are you willing to deny her every breath she ever took? You've lived a mightily selfish existence, 'Superman'. You've happily branded yourself a demon. Lets see how deep that dark streak runs. Let's see if you that metal chest of yours is as empty as you like us all to believe it is...]

Chase had known something had been off before he had gone to the chamber of truth. In his gut, he knew something was wrong. " I think that while it might be smart to keep sending us back in time, over and over again, it has proven itself to be impossible to keep track. A loop does indeed close itself, but Arcade forgot that he is also a part of the loop. Though perhaps...." He mused for a second. " If we kill Arcade in a period before he created either of the games, then we can undo all the damage he has done. Of course, that would erase our current selves, but it also would make it so our past selves never experience this. And if I learned anything, someone once told me, memories, especially ones from past lives can be recovered.... though..... if we keep breaking and unbreaking time, we might just want up in a dark place."
The Librarian's eyebrow quirked. His dry lips twitched into a smile.
[Bingo.] He grinned. [You took the words right out of my mouth, kid. This world is a mess. The only way to fix it is to unmake it. We're going to have to start by mitigating the damages. We need to round up the others. The Vampire. The Demon. They're still on the loose. Once you've assembled the others... well... we can go from there. The less you know about the next few steps, the better. When things start to get... jumbled, you'll thank me for now throwing any more crazy information you way.]

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, not yet anyway..." Brian stroked his lip, his eyes darted between the Librarian and Chase. "You're suggesting that we commit Temporal-Suicide? That we undo ourselves alongside Arcade?"

The Librarian fell silent for a beat.
[Yup. That's pretty much it.]

"Ah, so be it." Brian chirped. "Just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page. One can only hope that we find a better way between now and then. Until then, I suppose, it doesn't matter. We'll cross that Temporal Bridge when we reach it. First we find Godbrand and Akuma. Once we've got them on-side, we can worry about erasure and such."

" I don't think it matters what we do from here, but I have a personal philosophy that might help us beat Arcade at his own game. What if instead of breaking things, we leave the past better than we found it."
[No.] The Librarian glared at Tealeaf. [We don't have that right. We're not Gods. Right now, we're trying to stop time from folding in on itself around Prudence. Once the Planet is safe and Arcade is gone, we pull the plug. The moment we start going back and un-choosing, un-buying, un-saying, un-doing, un-thinking, we've crossed a line. The moment we start remaking the world in our own image, we're just as bad as him. The power will corrupt us. Rot us. We start by saving a life or two, but where will it stop? When we've wiped out all evil? When we've robbed our past selves of the right to make mistakes? No. We save the day, then we're done. It's a non-negotiable.]

"Oh, come-come, Librarian Rhodes..." The voice of the Master cooed from the shadows. "We have to let the little-uns have a tinge of fun every now and again. They'll get antsy otherwise... and I'd hate to see our contemporaries all cranky..."

Something in Daniel felt righteous anger at what he heard. He grit his teeth and glared at the prisoner. "What do you mean, blood bound?!" he exclaimed. Whether saving their last question for something that mattered was immediately lost to Daniel. "I'm nothing like you!"

The Prisoner breathed heavily, his breath forcing the spit from his teeth. A cackle rattled from his chest.
"Good Question... Good-Good-Good... Now where's getting somewhere... Now where's getting somewhere good!"
The Prisoner sniffed deeply. He tasted the moment, savored it, devoured it.
"The blood that binds us... It's a beautiful thing... Our blood.... The Cougar's Blood... The Dog's Blood... It's all the same, really. All the same."
He sniffed again, leaning back in his chair. He cracked his neck.
"Come on... Don't look at me like that... You know exactly who I am. Trust your gut. Go on. Trust your gut and let me go. I said I'd always have your back... It's high time you covered mine..."

"I don't care what you did, and the fact that Arcade thinks I do is the reason he can get under your skin. He's just playing games with you, and you're letting him win the jackpot."

"That all said... do what you want to him," Fushimi said defiantly toward Arcade in regard to Anderson. "It makes no difference to me whether he lives or dies. And you're afraid of that, aren't you? Someone with nothing to lose."

Not even his pride, his moral compass, anything.

"Now, if you're going to do something, won't you do it and let me get on with my way? Or does that take the satisfaction of winning the game out of it?"

Something bad had happened. Fushimi wasn't sure what, but he could feel it in the air. He had no desire to stay here any longer than was necessary, nor any desire to be swept up in the confusion of whatever Arcade was ultimately plotting.

Inaction would be a weakness, after all.
Silence. Arcade's smile didn't fade as the cogs started turning in his mind. He mulled it over. He chewed upon it. His eyes were fixed upon Fushimi. A moment later, his finger twitched.
The contents of Anderson's head painted Saruhiko face. Alexander's headless corpse fell forwards, limp, lifeless, unceremonious. Arcade wiped his bloody hands down the breast of his jacket and sighed.
"You almost had me. You almost had me, you know that? You're good. You're real good." The madman stepped over Alexander's corpse. "You were this close to sucking the fun outta that. This close. But even have a lifetime of torture and torment, nothing beats a good head-splosion. Where was I..." A finger snap. "Ah. Yes. You want to walk away, Fushimi? I like you. Let me give you a lift. Anywhere in the city. I'll send you there in the blink of an eye. You looking for someone? I'll send you to them. You seem like my kind of guy. Take that as an insult, please do."

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomic Knight @Capri @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Crunch @Takumi

"If you have met me ten times before."

J8yqHSm.png

"You know oblivion is the only thing I seek." This was pointless. What the Librarian sought had long since been extinguished inside of Henshaw. Escape into oblivion was the only future, or past, he sought out now.

"We?" Henshaw asked with an incredulous tone at the Librarian suddenly being part of the group rather than just another hindrance. "You are nothing. Perhaps you have somehow managed to earn the ear of the others but I do not trust you. Truth after all comes in many forms. Now if it's destruction you wish to achieve."

wZk8a63.png

"Then that can be arranged along with the rest."

"A pity..." Shang Tsung finally spoke up from behind Fushimi. "Here I thought you were a man of conviction and strength, but all you seek is a friend."

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomic Knight @Capri @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Crunch @Takumi @Sark

TRUTH
[Wrong.]

[Wrong.]

[Wrong again.]

[Very wrong.]

[And taxes, but that's hardly relevant now. You just scored zero for five. No gold star for you.]
The Librarian tutted. [You performed about as well as I expected, though. Can't say I'm disappointed. I never expected you to understand.]

The Librarian took a moment of pause, drafting out his response in his head. A sigh wheezed from his dry lips.

[I get it. You've got this whole 'edgy nihilist' thing going on. It's nothing I haven't seen before. As much as I'd love to chew the air about how swell life can be, time is the one thing neither of us has. So I'll keep it brief. Simple. The Timeline is already trying to straighten itself out. It's already unravelling ours pasts, tampering with our presents. Before you know it, there won't be a 'you' to know.]

[Don't confuse erasure with death, Henshaw. The later is a blessing by comparison. It won't be a surgical process, you know. You'll start to forget things. You'll start to lose yourself in mess of other 'you's. The men you were. The men you might one day become. The men you lacked the strength to be. You'll all start melting together. Merging. Meshing. Before the crushing weight of oblivion topples down around you, you'll have wandered endlessly through a timeless Hell, mad and weary.]

The Librarian turned his back upon the Cyborg, his hands looped behind his back.

[This little epiphany won't make you see reason, Hank. I know. It didn't make you see reason the last ten times either. No. You've only ever cared about yourself. Well... yourself, and a certain somebody...]

[Do you think your erasure will be precise, Hank? You're happy to wipe yourself from existence … but are you willing to do the same to her? Are you willing to deny her every moment of joy you shared together? Are you willing to deny her every breath she ever took? You've lived a mightily selfish existence, 'Superman'. You've happily branded yourself a demon. Lets see how deep that dark streak runs. Let's see if you that metal chest of yours is as empty as you like us all to believe it is...]

The Librarian's eyebrow quirked. His dry lips twitched into a smile.
[Bingo.] He grinned. [You took the words right out of my mouth, kid. This world is a mess. The only way to fix it is to unmake it. We're going to have to start by mitigating the damages. We need to round up the others. The Vampire. The Demon. They're still on the loose. Once you've assembled the others... well... we can go from there. The less you know about the next few steps, the better. When things start to get... jumbled, you'll thank me for now throwing any more crazy information you way.]

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, not yet anyway..." Brian stroked his lip, his eyes darted between the Librarian and Chase. "You're suggesting that we commit Temporal-Suicide? That we undo ourselves alongside Arcade?"

The Librarian fell silent for a beat.
[Yup. That's pretty much it.]

"Ah, so be it." Brian chirped. "Just wanted to make sure that we're on the same page. One can only hope that we find a better way between now and then. Until then, I suppose, it doesn't matter. We'll cross that Temporal Bridge when we reach it. First we find Godbrand and Akuma. Once we've got them on-side, we can worry about erasure and such."

[No.] The Librarian glared at Tealeaf. [We don't have that right. We're not Gods. Right now, we're trying to stop time from folding in on itself around Prudence. Once the Planet is safe and Arcade is gone, we pull the plug. The moment we start going back and un-choosing, un-buying, un-saying, un-doing, un-thinking, we've crossed a line. The moment we start remaking the world in our own image, we're just as bad as him. The power will corrupt us. Rot us. We start by saving a life or two, but where will it stop? When we've wiped out all evil? When we've robbed our past selves of the right to make mistakes? No. We save the day, then we're done. It's a non-negotiable.]

"Oh, come-come, Librarian Rhodes..." The voice of the Master cooed from the shadows. "We have to let the little-uns have a tinge of fun every now and again. They'll get antsy otherwise... and I'd hate to see our contemporaries all cranky..."

The Prisoner breathed heavily, his breath forcing the spit from his teeth. A cackle rattled from his chest.
"Good Question... Good-Good-Good... Now where's getting somewhere... Now where's getting somewhere good!"
The Prisoner sniffed deeply. He tasted the moment, savored it, devoured it.
"The blood that binds us... It's a beautiful thing... Our blood.... The Cougar's Blood... The Dog's Blood... It's all the same, really. All the same."
He sniffed again, leaning back in his chair. He cracked his neck.
"Come on... Don't look at me like that... You know exactly who I am. Trust your gut. Go on. Trust your gut and let me go. I said I'd always have your back... It's high time you covered mine..."

Silence. Arcade's smile didn't fade as the cogs started turning in his mind. He mulled it over. He chewed upon it. His eyes were fixed upon Fushimi. A moment later, his finger twitched.
The contents of Anderson's head painted Saruhiko face. Alexander's headless corpse fell forwards, limp, lifeless, unceremonious. Arcade wiped his bloody hands down the breast of his jacket and sighed.
"You almost had me. You almost had me, you know that? You're good. You're real good." The madman stepped over Alexander's corpse. "You were this close to sucking the fun outta that. This close. But even have a lifetime of torture and torment, nothing beats a good head-splosion. Where was I..." A finger snap. "Ah. Yes. You want to walk away, Fushimi? I like you. Let me give you a lift. Anywhere in the city. I'll send you there in the blink of an eye. You looking for someone? I'll send you to them. You seem like my kind of guy. Take that as an insult, please do."

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomic Knight @Capri @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Crunch @Takumi

J8yqHSm.png

"You know oblivion is the only thing I seek." This was pointless. What the Librarian sought had long since been extinguished inside of Henshaw. Escape into oblivion was the only future, or past, he sought out now.

"We?" Henshaw asked with an incredulous tone at the Librarian suddenly being part of the group rather than just another hindrance. "You are nothing. Perhaps you have somehow managed to earn the ear of the others but I do not trust you. Truth after all comes in many forms. Now if it's destruction you wish to achieve."

wZk8a63.png

"A pity..." Shang Tsung finally spoke up from behind Fushimi. "Here I thought you were a man of conviction and strength, but all you seek is a friend."

@Takumi @Yun Lee @Atomic Knight @Capri @Lucky @Ver @Jeremi @Crunch @Takumi @Sark

46fd7a0936ed4c4ea5f28b608ad4588a3839e987.jpg

"Wow, edgy much?" Ramuda muttered under his breath as he listened to the back and forth between Henshaw and the Librarian. As the others brought up killing Arcade in the past to kill him in the present he tilted his head in thought.

"So we gather everyone and try to get 'em on the same page, sounds easier said than done with some of them." He commented, directing the last bit to the Librarian.

@Sark @Jeremi @Lucky @Capri @Truth

Chase Davenport

Chase had wondered if he had gotten that right on the first go. He had a feeling he did.

"I guess, it's a good thing that I learned how to process information fast enough to understand thing. I would argue that most worlds are messes, but this one is severely damaged from all that has happen from there. I have a feeling I know who you might have be talking about when you refer to it as the vampire and I imagine that not knowing is a blessing in some way. This is already confusing enough as it is. Though, I guess, it isn't really to me, but then again, my bionics make it so I process things better."

MollyMauk Tealeaf

Mollymauk would ignore the glare that the librarian had shot at him. " You seem to have your own idea on what I mean by that, but I can assure you that it's not that drastic. The actual saying is to leave each place a little less shitty than you found it. I'm not talking about changing the world to be like us. I'm sure that some of the folks here would love to do that, but I'm not talking about even saving lives. I'm talking about making sure we don't damage more stuff, maybe be a little nicer to everyone that we meet, give them a gold coin, small things that can make a big difference or can be just as insignficant as the next thing. Also, you must be real fun at parties," Molly dryly told the librarian.

@Sark @Jeremi @Capri @Takumi @Truth

Daniel's mind reeled at hearing cougar's blood. He was perhaps too young to understand the full implications of what the prisoner was saying but he suddenly felt gross. How did he know about that?

"Sh-Shut up!" Daniel growled. He just wanted this to stop. He wanted this guy to stop talking. He was scary... but Daniel wanted to prove he wasn't easily scared.

"I-I won't say it again!" he yelled, reaching forward. Telekinetic force gripped at the prisoner's neck. Daniel only stared in anger, teeth bared.

e88c35a25d01ab476fc95ed778ed946e4385b873.png

❝ Wh-... ❞ Eren couldn't keep up with what unfolded before them. He thought they would be able to achieve their goal here and now. He thought that it couldn't just... end up like this. He thought he was doing the right thing, only to be slapped by this reality in front of them.

What was the point of this encounter again? Was it worth this many people dying? At this point, he couldn't comprehend anything that everyone else was doing. Arcade definitely wanted this, and it left Eren unsure on what to do at this point. Was there a clear shot to the goal anymore?

He only stood there as an exchange was made between Fushimi and Arcade that caused yet another person, Anderson, to die needlessly.

@Capri @Jeremi @Sark @Ver

tumblr_inline_mtyer0SBTL1qku79w.png

❝ If that's what we have to do... then what's our first step towards this? ❞ Mato asked timidly to the Librarian, feeling in decisive on what to do from here.

@Sark @Jeremi @Lucky @Capri @Takumi
@Truth

C H A M P I O NS - O F - T H E - A R E N A
THE STORY SO FAR

Some time ago, at the behest of peoples unknown, the madman known only as Arcade set out to create a scene of depravity and wickedness the likes of which the world had not yet scene. His twisted reality show, Champions of the Arena, took dozens of teenagers from across the multiverse and set them at each others' throats for the entertainment of millions of unseen viewers. Instead of playing his twisted game, a selection of Arcade's chosen Champions rose up against him. At the conclusion of their rebellion, they executed Arcade and shut down his island, trapped themselves upon its shores in the process.

Among these rebellious Champions were Jianyu, Conner Kent, Alice Swayne, Eli, Henry Hart, and Laura Kinney.

5 years after Arcade's death, the Champions of the Arena tournament was unexpectedly revived on a backwater planet named Prudence. Corrupt and decadent, the city death-date had been chosen by the mad AI known as P.R.U.D.E.N.C.E., who had once overseen the day-to-day management of the city. The AI once again kidnapped a dozens of strangers from across the multiverse and set them at each other's throats, hoping that the collateral damage from their conflicts would cleanse the city of its faults and clear the path for its insurance-funded rebirth. Another band of Rebellious Champions sought to destroy the games' organizer with the help of a strangely living Arcade. In the process, they plunged the city into chaos, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocents.

Among these rebellious Champions were Chise Hatori, Daniel Diaz, Ouka Namae, Yashamaru Kurama, Samuel Rodrigues and Akuma.

The destruction of the city was strangely absent from the memories of the survivors of the second Arena. The games' conclusion marked Arcade's return to power, and the capture of the rebellious champions. Imprisoned by the corporations who once held stake in Prudence's success, the survivors were blackmailed and brainwashed into trying once again to assassinate Arcade.

After surviving this assassination attempt Arcade banished his would-be killers to Prudence's Victorian Era to play another one of his sick games. Hoping that the Champions would unintentionally erase themselves from existence, allowed the game's participants the wreck havoc across the Old City. The destruction caused on the game's first day caused time to fracture and fold. The memories of the games participants are starting the shift and change. Some of them are slowly being replaced by their other selves. Some have already been erased.

The city itself has started to change. It has been divided into several 'zones', each one stolen from a different era of Prudence's history. With each passing moment, the timeline changes further. A band of Champions have gathered in the Alt Future Zone, under the guidance of an aged cyborg librarian. Having revealed himself to have been an older James Rhodes, a Champion who vanished in the Victorian Zone on the first day, the Librarian is trying to convince this third set of Rebellious Champions to gather their peers before any further damage can be inflicted upon the timeline. But some amongst the party has seen an opportunity in their predicament; some among the Champions plot to alter the timeline for their own benefit. A line in the sand is slowly being drawn; the two factions cannot accomplish their goals whilst the other lives.

Ironically, the Champions are running out of time. Their histories are unravelling before them. It's only going to get harder from here on out. The line between what is, was, what could be and what could never be is starting to blur.
'Reality' is subject. There's no time for crocodile tears. The world is melting. The Corps and the Corpses are coming.
Welcome back to:
CHAMPIONS OF THE ARENA III: CURSED COMPANY: REDUX
CHAMPTER 3: CORP=RUPTED/// SAVEFILE//

[If you really wanted to die, Hank, you would already be dead.] The Librarian snapped. [You're a smart man, Doctor Henshaw. You would have found a way. You would have worked it out by now. You're faster than a speeding bullet. You don't need to eat or sleep. You've had more than enough time to solve the riddle of your existence, and you've barely tried. It's high time that you worked out what you're looking for. Help us, or get out of our way. That's all I have to say to you, 'Super-Man'. That's all I have to say."

"Wow, edgy much?" Ramuda muttered under his breath as he listened to the back and forth between Henshaw and the Librarian. As the others brought up killing Arcade in the past to kill him in the present he tilted his head in thought.

"So we gather everyone and try to get 'em on the same page, sounds easier said than done with some of them." He commented, directing the last bit to the Librarian.
[The chasm between saying and doing is a big one, you're right...] The Librarian lamented. [Even if the world wasn't ending, we'd have our work cut out. Prudence is big, and it keeps getting bigger. As the timeline fractures more and more, we've developed more and more... 'Zones' in the place of the city's districts. We've got a Victorian Zone, a War Zone, A Pre-History Zone, A Medieval One, I think the Murder Resort is back too... If we're going to do this, we need to do it right and we need to do it quickly. Split up if you must... but someone needs to pick a zone and start searching before we start changing too... unless it's already begun...]
View attachment 10108

"I guess, it's a good thing that I learned how to process information fast enough to understand thing. I would argue that most worlds are messes, but this one is severely damaged from all that has happen from there. I have a feeling I know who you might have be talking about when you refer to it as the vampire and I imagine that not knowing is a blessing in some way. This is already confusing enough as it is. Though, I guess, it isn't really to me, but then again, my bionics make it so I process things better."
"There were rumors circulating in the Victorian Zone at the start of this little... misadventure..." The Master chirped, still obscured in the shadows of the library. "Yes... Yes, there was talk of a certain serial killer waltzing the streets at night, if I remember correctly. I'd wager that he might the man you're after."

"That doesn't make any sense..." Brian mumbled. "If this 'killer' we're looking for was infamous was already infamous when we arrived, them how could it be one of us?"

"You're thinking linearly, Mr.Braddock..." The Time Lord teased. "Things aren't that simple any more... not that they were every really simple, but I digress. If my theory is correct, and the Serial Killer in the Victorian Zone is in fact that vampiric chap we arrived in, then he could have easy travelled to the Victorian Era via the long way round."

"Which means?"

"Time typically moves forward, doesn't it, Brian? Hm?" The Master smirked. "You understand that much, at least, don't you? Presumably, our undead friend does not age like the rest us..." He cleared his throat. "The rest of you do. He could have easily set up show in the Medieval Zone and simply waited there long enough for the Victorian Era to come to him!"

"So if we want to catch the Vampire before he becomes this Jack the Ripper-type in the Victorian Era, all we need to do is catch him in the Medieval Era..."

"Quite right. You'd be saving dozens, if not hundreds of lives, no doubt..."

[At the cost of the TimeSteam, Champions...] The Librarian growled. [If you heard about the rumor Victorian Era, than the Vampire's victims are already dead. Their deaths are part of the established timeline. I want to save them as much as anyone, but we'd be effectively raising them from the dead by undoing their deaths like this... No. We need to catch him in the Victorian Era. His victims will remain dead, but timeline might yet live.]
"You call us out for playing God..." Brian muttered. "And yet here you are... So very set in deciding who gets to live and who gets to die..."
Mollymauk would ignore the glare that the librarian had shot at him. " You seem to have your own idea on what I mean by that, but I can assure you that it's not that drastic. The actual saying is to leave each place a little less shitty than you found it. I'm not talking about changing the world to be like us. I'm sure that some of the folks here would love to do that, but I'm not talking about even saving lives. I'm talking about making sure we don't damage more stuff, maybe be a little nicer to everyone that we meet, give them a gold coin, small things that can make a big difference or can be just as insignficant as the next thing. Also, you must be real fun at parties," Molly dryly told the librarian.
[We can party once we've glued reality back together, damn it!] The Librarian hissed. [You're right. This isn't about changing the world. It's not about saving lives. It's about giving the people of this planet a chance to be. If we fail, an entire civilization gets wiped of the face of existence. Save your coins. Save your good-deed-of-the-day. The stakes are too high to get caught up wit the little things. The pointless things. There's a bigger picture here. We don't get to save everybody, but unless we do this right, there won't be an anybody!]

❝ If that's what we have to do... then what's our first step towards this? ❞ Mato asked timidly to the Librarian, feeling in decisive on what to do from here.

@Sark @Jeremi @Lucky @Capri @Takumi
@Truth
[We need to pick an area and start looking for the missing Champions.] The Librarian responded, alertly, despite his heated state. [The Master thinks that Vampire might be hiding in either the Medieval Zone or Victorian Zone. If we catch the younger version of him in the Medieval Zone, we could apprehend him before he becomes an established part of the timeline, before he becomes a serial killer, at the risk of damaging the timeline more. If we apprehend the older version of him in the Victorian Era, his victims will remain dead, but we'll be able to capture him without damaging the timeline further. We need to send a team out to find him and bring him back here. Where and when you decide to find him... Well. I've made my stance clear enough, but I'm hardly in a position where I can force your hand.]

[As for the other missing Champions, we don't have a substantial lead on Akuma.]
The Librarian sighed. [But, unlike the Vampire, he won't be lying low. We can send another team out into the city to look for him and look for clues or hints as to his whereabouts; you just need to pick a place to start. Whilst you're gone, I'll be doing what I can to establish a network across the city. The two missing teams won't remain missing for long.]

@Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Jeremi @Yun Lee
Daniel's mind reeled at hearing cougar's blood. He was perhaps too young to understand the full implications of what the prisoner was saying but he suddenly felt gross. How did he know about that?

"Sh-Shut up!" Daniel growled. He just wanted this to stop. He wanted this guy to stop talking. He was scary... but Daniel wanted to prove he wasn't easily scared.

"I-I won't say it again!" he yelled, reaching forward. Telekinetic force gripped at the prisoner's neck. Daniel only stared in anger, teeth bared.

The Prisoner's eyes widened as the invisible hand of Daniel's telekinesis tightened around his throat. His fists tightened until his knuckles burned white. Despite it all, despite the pain, and the fear, and the dread, the prisoner smile never faded. It only grew. Twitching against the force of Daniel's mind, the prisoner responded to his threat a two simple words:
"Or what?"
He unleashed a guttural laugh.
"What are ya gonna do?"
@Yun Lee @Atomic Knight

❝ Wh-... ❞ Eren couldn't keep up with what unfolded before them. He thought they would be able to achieve their goal here and now. He thought that it couldn't just... end up like this. He thought he was doing the right thing, only to be slapped by this reality in front of them.

What was the point of this encounter again? Was it worth this many people dying? At this point, he couldn't comprehend anything that everyone else was doing. Arcade definitely wanted this, and it left Eren unsure on what to do at this point. Was there a clear shot to the goal anymore?

He only stood there as an exchange was made between Fushimi and Arcade that caused yet another person, Anderson, to die needlessly.
"And what about you, Deer-In-Headlights?" Arcade snarled with glee, throwing his arm around Eren. "Where do you want to go? Anywhere in the city. You name the spot. I'll send you there. And don't give me some smart-ass answer like 'home' or 'away from you' or any of that Saturday Morning Hero shit. The only way out of this is multiversal cesspit is through. I want you guys back in the game. I want you guys to start killing each other. So. Please. Accept my offer. Accept my freebie. Go on. Do it. Name a place on the city. Go on. Please. Better yet. Name a person. Name another member of the cast that you want to see dead. I'll send you straight to them. But be warned. This is a limited time offer. I can already... feel... my attention... span... slipping..." Arcade raised his right hand. His fingers started to slowly count down from five. "And when I get bored... I start... exploding heads... maybe it'll be yours... maybe it'll be a Teammates... mayble it'll be someone you love... or just some random Joe... but regardless... I wonder... will you conscience be able to handle two exploded heads?"

@Ver @Space_Candy @Gummi Bunnies @Capri

Henshaw seemed lost in thought for a moment. He had fallen into himself processing everything that has gone on until now. The chaos he had caused and the destruction was meant to improve his odds of survival as well has hamper Arcade's process, but if what the Librarian said was true... "Very well." Henshaw finally spoke. "If 'saving' this world will help me. Help us. Then that is what we must do." He would not be made a mockery and his death would now fall on his terms alone.

@Sark @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Jeremi @Yun Lee

"I won't persume too much," Shang Tsung interjected. "If the offer is still on the table. I will be honest that none have left a lasting impression in my mind, but the name of the game is to be the last man standing, correct? Then I wish you to send me where the most other players have been gathered." He smirked. "I don't much care to hunt for my prey after all."

C H A M P I O NS - O F - T H E - A R E N A
THE STORY SO FAR

Some time ago, at the behest of peoples unknown, the madman known only as Arcade set out to create a scene of depravity and wickedness the likes of which the world had not yet scene. His twisted reality show, Champions of the Arena, took dozens of teenagers from across the multiverse and set them at each others' throats for the entertainment of millions of unseen viewers. Instead of playing his twisted game, a selection of Arcade's chosen Champions rose up against him. At the conclusion of their rebellion, they executed Arcade and shut down his island, trapped themselves upon its shores in the process.

Among these rebellious Champions were Jianyu, Conner Kent, Alice Swayne, Eli, Henry Hart, and Laura Kinney.

5 years after Arcade's death, the Champions of the Arena tournament was unexpectedly revived on a backwater planet named Prudence. Corrupt and decadent, the city death-date had been chosen by the mad AI known as P.R.U.D.E.N.C.E., who had once overseen the day-to-day management of the city. The AI once again kidnapped a dozens of strangers from across the multiverse and set them at each other's throats, hoping that the collateral damage from their conflicts would cleanse the city of its faults and clear the path for its insurance-funded rebirth. Another band of Rebellious Champions sought to destroy the games' organizer with the help of a strangely living Arcade. In the process, they plunged the city into chaos, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocents.

Among these rebellious Champions were Chise Hatori, Daniel Diaz, Ouka Namae, Yashamaru Kurama, Samuel Rodrigues and Akuma.

The destruction of the city was strangely absent from the memories of the survivors of the second Arena. The games' conclusion marked Arcade's return to power, and the capture of the rebellious champions. Imprisoned by the corporations who once held stake in Prudence's success, the survivors were blackmailed and brainwashed into trying once again to assassinate Arcade.

After surviving this assassination attempt Arcade banished his would-be killers to Prudence's Victorian Era to play another one of his sick games. Hoping that the Champions would unintentionally erase themselves from existence, allowed the game's participants the wreck havoc across the Old City. The destruction caused on the game's first day caused time to fracture and fold. The memories of the games participants are starting the shift and change. Some of them are slowly being replaced by their other selves. Some have already been erased.

The city itself has started to change. It has been divided into several 'zones', each one stolen from a different era of Prudence's history. With each passing moment, the timeline changes further. A band of Champions have gathered in the Alt Future Zone, under the guidance of an aged cyborg librarian. Having revealed himself to have been an older James Rhodes, a Champion who vanished in the Victorian Zone on the first day, the Librarian is trying to convince this third set of Rebellious Champions to gather their peers before any further damage can be inflicted upon the timeline. But some amongst the party has seen an opportunity in their predicament; some among the Champions plot to alter the timeline for their own benefit. A line in the sand is slowly being drawn; the two factions cannot accomplish their goals whilst the other lives.

Ironically, the Champions are running out of time. Their histories are unravelling before them. It's only going to get harder from here on out. The line between what is, was, what could be and what could never be is starting to blur.
'Reality' is subject. There's no time for crocodile tears. The world is melting. The Corps and the Corpses are coming.
Welcome back to:
CHAMPIONS OF THE ARENA III: CURSED COMPANY: REDUX
CHAMPTER 3: CORP=RUPTED/// SAVEFILE//

[If you really wanted to die, Hank, you would already be dead.] The Librarian snapped. [You're a smart man, Doctor Henshaw. You would have found a way. You would have worked it out by now. You're faster than a speeding bullet. You don't need to eat or sleep. You've had more than enough time to solve the riddle of your existence, and you've barely tried. It's high time that you worked out what you're looking for. Help us, or get out of our way. That's all I have to say to you, 'Super-Man'. That's all I have to say."

[The chasm between saying and doing is a big one, you're right...] The Librarian lamented. [Even if the world wasn't ending, we'd have our work cut out. Prudence is big, and it keeps getting bigger. As the timeline fractures more and more, we've developed more and more... 'Zones' in the place of the city's districts. We've got a Victorian Zone, a War Zone, A Pre-History Zone, A Medieval One, I think the Murder Resort is back too... If we're going to do this, we need to do it right and we need to do it quickly. Split up if you must... but someone needs to pick a zone and start searching before we start changing too... unless it's already begun...]
View attachment 10108

"There were rumors circulating in the Victorian Zone at the start of this little... misadventure..." The Master chirped, still obscured in the shadows of the library. "Yes... Yes, there was talk of a certain serial killer waltzing the streets at night, if I remember correctly. I'd wager that he might the man you're after."

"That doesn't make any sense..." Brian mumbled. "If this 'killer' we're looking for was infamous was already infamous when we arrived, them how could it be one of us?"

"You're thinking linearly, Mr.Braddock..." The Time Lord teased. "Things aren't that simple any more... not that they were every really simple, but I digress. If my theory is correct, and the Serial Killer in the Victorian Zone is in fact that vampiric chap we arrived in, then he could have easy travelled to the Victorian Era via the long way round."

"Which means?"

"Time typically moves forward, doesn't it, Brian? Hm?" The Master smirked. "You understand that much, at least, don't you? Presumably, our undead friend does not age like the rest us..." He cleared his throat. "The rest of you do. He could have easily set up show in the Medieval Zone and simply waited there long enough for the Victorian Era to come to him!"

"So if we want to catch the Vampire before he becomes this Jack the Ripper-type in the Victorian Era, all we need to do is catch him in the Medieval Era..."

"Quite right. You'd be saving dozens, if not hundreds of lives, no doubt..."

[At the cost of the TimeSteam, Champions...] The Librarian growled. [If you heard about the rumor Victorian Era, than the Vampire's victims are already dead. Their deaths are part of the established timeline. I want to save them as much as anyone, but we'd be effectively raising them from the dead by undoing their deaths like this... No. We need to catch him in the Victorian Era. His victims will remain dead, but timeline might yet live.]
"You call us out for playing God..." Brian muttered. "And yet here you are... So very set in deciding who gets to live and who gets to die..."

[We can party once we've glued reality back together, damn it!] The Librarian hissed. [You're right. This isn't about changing the world. It's not about saving lives. It's about giving the people of this planet a chance to be. If we fail, an entire civilization gets wiped of the face of existence. Save your coins. Save your good-deed-of-the-day. The stakes are too high to get caught up wit the little things. The pointless things. There's a bigger picture here. We don't get to save everybody, but unless we do this right, there won't be an anybody!]

[We need to pick an area and start looking for the missing Champions.] The Librarian responded, alertly, despite his heated state. [The Master thinks that Vampire might be hiding in either the Medieval Zone or Victorian Zone. If we catch the younger version of him in the Medieval Zone, we could apprehend him before he becomes an established part of the timeline, before he becomes a serial killer, at the risk of damaging the timeline more. If we apprehend the older version of him in the Victorian Era, his victims will remain dead, but we'll be able to capture him without damaging the timeline further. We need to send a team out to find him and bring him back here. Where and when you decide to find him... Well. I've made my stance clear enough, but I'm hardly in a position where I can force your hand.]

[As for the other missing Champions, we don't have a substantial lead on Akuma.]
The Librarian sighed. [But, unlike the Vampire, he won't be lying low. We can send another team out into the city to look for him and look for clues or hints as to his whereabouts; you just need to pick a place to start. Whilst you're gone, I'll be doing what I can to establish a network across the city. The two missing teams won't remain missing for long.]

@Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Jeremi @Yun Lee

The Prisoner's eyes widened as the invisible hand of Daniel's telekinesis tightened around his throat. His fists tightened until his knuckles burned white. Despite it all, despite the pain, and the fear, and the dread, the prisoner smile never faded. It only grew. Twitching against the force of Daniel's mind, the prisoner responded to his threat a two simple words:
"Or what?"
He unleashed a guttural laugh.
"What are ya gonna do?"
@Yun Lee @Atomic Knight

"And what about you, Deer-In-Headlights?" Arcade snarled with glee, throwing his arm around Eren. "Where do you want to go? Anywhere in the city. You name the spot. I'll send you there. And don't give me some smart-ass answer like 'home' or 'away from you' or any of that Saturday Morning Hero shit. The only way out of this is multiversal cesspit is through. I want you guys back in the game. I want you guys to start killing each other. So. Please. Accept my offer. Accept my freebie. Go on. Do it. Name a place on the city. Go on. Please. Better yet. Name a person. Name another member of the cast that you want to see dead. I'll send you straight to them. But be warned. This is a limited time offer. I can already... feel... my attention... span... slipping..." Arcade raised his right hand. His fingers started to slowly count down from five. "And when I get bored... I start... exploding heads... maybe it'll be yours... maybe it'll be a Teammates... mayble it'll be someone you love... or just some random Joe... but regardless... I wonder... will you conscience be able to handle two exploded heads?"

Henshaw seemed lost in thought for a moment. He had fallen into himself processing everything that has gone on until now. The chaos he had caused and the destruction was meant to improve his odds of survival as well has hamper Arcade's process, but if what the Librarian said was true... "Very well." Henshaw finally spoke. "If 'saving' this world will help me. Help us. Then that is what we must do." He would not be made a mockery and his death would now fall on his terms alone.

"I won't persume too much," Shang Tsung interjected. "If the offer is still on the table. I will be honest that none have left a lasting impression in my mind, but the name of the game is to be the last man standing, correct? Then I wish you to send me where the most other players have been gathered." He smirked. "I don't much care to hunt for my prey after all."

8f9035e672b9138781f194710a7373ffd59529c6.jpg

All this time stuff was enough to give him a headache. Ramuda sighed heavily and scratched his head. He resisted rolling his eyes at Hank. What part of almost killing them all was towards 'helping'? Especially helping them? Yeah right!

81983279fdc4674a9b2051e111fab1bfb637634c.jpg

"So, the objective now is to find the missing Champs in the...what, like, seven different zones? With some of us going to find vampire guy in either the Medieval zone or Victorian zone and bring him back here. Got it." Ramuda muttered with a squint and a frown, listing it off on his fingers. They had a lot of ground to cover and he wouldn't be surprised if there were any possible fuck ups along the way with their group of whack jobs.

f4283cb1a6d65c24087622a97087dda3b9f5b57f.jpg

"Well, if we're picking places, I'm gonna look in the Pre-History zone.~✩" He announced, rocking on the balls of his feet.

@Sark @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Gummi Bunnies @Truth

Shion had remained quiet, wondering if Shang Tsung just wanted to get them all together much easier for another purpose. He hoped ot was to get them all to work together, admittedly, since he seemed willing to do so.

@Sark @Gummi Bunnies @Ver @Jeremi @Atomic Knight @Capri @Team Oblivion/Nexium

Last edited:
Marianne felt more lost now than she ever had before. As if losing someone who'd become close to her wasn't bad enough, she couldn't remember it at all. And on top of that, so much more was going on, so many more lives were at stake...and the thought of choosing who lives and who dies weighed heavily. But...

"If someone is doomed to die...that is what's been decided for them. We can't bring people back who are...who are no longer here." She could already feel her confidence start to crumble the longer she spoke. "B-But...the more people we can save, the better."

She looked at the microphone in her hand, Dice's microphone, and gripped it tightly. If everything goes according to plan, you can give it back to him yourself... At this point, she had to assume that Dice was never coming back, that her memories of him would never come back. So much had happened that she couldn't remember, she needed to approach everything with a clean slate. "I...if what you say is true...then I'll go to the Victorian Era." This would just be like the missions her class would go on each month. Surely it would be fine...

---

Yashamaru narrowed his eyes. Something wasn't quite right here. Blood bound...cougar's blood...Yashamaru's own blood was that of the Tengu, but was there something in Daniel's that made him so powerful? There wasn't any time to ask further questions, as the tension finally broke.

"Daniel!" The thief tried to place a hand on the boy's shoulder, guiding him away from the prisoner. "This isn't worth it! Don't let him get to you!" He had no idea who this prisoner was, and honestly from his behavior? Wouldn't mind too much if he dropped dead. But were he someone Daniel is familiar with, and Daniel only found out by killing him...Yashamaru couldn't begin to imagine how badly that would mess him up.

@Sark @Atomic Knight

Chase Davenport

Chase would take his moment to process everything that he had just been told. " There's actually a simpler solution to the problem. We split up our group and half of us go to the Medieval Era to attempt to catch him. Meanwhile, we send the other half to the Victorian Era to try to stop us. If the people in the past fail, we have more than one opportunity to catch him. "

Mollymauk Tealeaf

" You really don't understand how figure of speeches work do you?" Mollymauk asked the man quite seriously. " You keep speaking in absolutes as undoing this thing will just be make everything happen go back to the right way. But here's the thing. It's often the little things or as you call the pointless things that are the most important things. History often is written about the loudest things, but if it wasn't for the small things, then other things won't happen. Nobody and nothing is insignficant and pointless. It's probably that sort of absolute thinking that got you into the mess."

@Sark @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Yun Lee @Jeremi

View attachment 10125

"Heh... You're an interesting old man, aren't you?" Fushimi said with a grin as he gave a sideward glance toward Shang Tsung as the old man spoke in place of him. Fragile, yet firm. Unassuming, yet devious. One who walked a fine line between order and chaos. That was the impression that the bespectacled man got from the sorcerer. It reminded Fushimi of quite a few people from where he came from, and just like those people...

"If we make it that far, I'll be sure to let you die last. But for now..." He began, before looking back to Arcade. "What the geezer said. Take me to where the action is," Fushimi requested.

The young man hesitated when Arcade made him the offer of taking him anywhere in the Arena, taking a moment to try and deduce what would have been the best course of action. Somewhere far away wouldn't have worked. Fushimi was easily bored, and there was nothing more boring than sitting on the sidelines during a game. And more than that, he was a pragmatic kind of guy. He knew that more than often, if he wanted something done right, he'd have to do it himself.

That's why he was here, after all.

"If they're allowed, I guess the other brats are allowed to come too. Not really much else to do here, I imagine," Fushimi shrugged, gesturing toward Eren and Shion as well. "So, is that an acceptable response?"

@Sark @Jeremi @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi @Capri

2bbab1dce47c54c04b1757e57fd865b3e6472f91.png

❝ ... okay, then I'll go to the Victorian Zone. ❞ Mato hesitates for a moment before settling her mind on this decision to the Librarian. It was obvious that she didn't like being unable to save those that were killed in the past, but to her understanding, it was a very dangerous game to mess with the already fragile timelines that were present here. So if they could prevent the damage from getting to the point of no return... that was good enough.

@Sark @Lucky @Capri @Jeremi @Takumi

Eren was this close to doing something that would definitely backfire horribly for himself, but he really didn't want to play along with any of this. It was really starting to piss him off. However, he didn't go impulsively titan-shift like he wanted to, much like something was itching away at him to not do that right now. Instead, he begrudgingly restrained himself from making any rash movements, and made his answer.

dfb712472ccdaa3ae5c420e2704f0e0cd79df394.png

❝ You know what? Take me somewhere with the least action. I can make the goddamn hell you'd want to see there even if it were the safest place around. There's bound to be someone trying to hide it out, away from the fighting. I'll kill them. Just take me there and consider it done. ❞ Eren answers in a serious tone of voice, a strange contrast from how he reacted to earlier events not too long ago. Even when he was sure on his answer to Arcade's offer, Eren felt as if that wasn't at all what he wanted to do, but at the same time, it made sense to him as his own decision anyways.

@Sark @Jeremi @Ver @Takumi @Capri

All this time stuff was enough to give him a headache. Ramuda sighed heavily and scratched his head. He resisted rolling his eyes at Hank. What part of almost killing them all was towards 'helping'? Especially helping them? Yeah right!

"So, the objective now is to find the missing Champs in the...what, like, seven different zones? With some of us going to find vampire guy in either the Medieval zone or Victorian zone and bring him back here. Got it." Ramuda muttered with a squint and a frown, listing it off on his fingers. They had a lot of ground to cover and he wouldn't be surprised if there were any possible fuck ups along the way with their group of whack jobs.

"Well, if we're picking places, I'm gonna look in the Pre-History zone.~✩" He announced, rocking on the balls of his feet.
PRE-HISTORY ZONE
View attachment 10374

The Pre-History Zone was hot, uncomfortably so. The air was thick with humidity. It was difficult to think beneath the cruel gaze of the planet's Suns. Their rays were hotter than ever, their burning fingers unfiltered by the layer of smog that stained the skies of the future. An hour into the march, Frye, now Jacob once again, had discarded his jacket, hat and cane. Three hours later, he had cast aside his waistcoat, cufflinks and tie. After fives hours in the jungle, Jacob had surrendered his previous decision not to complain.
"Remind me why we're here again..." The Assassin groaned, slapping a mosquito from is cheek. "Remind me why we're not checking.... anywhere else first... Somewhere... cooler?"
"Because this Zone is the Bedrock upon which all others sit." Braddock replied matter-of-factly. "Any changes that occur this far in the past will cause the most significant damage to the time stream. That was why supported Ramuda's decision to start here. To find the Rogue Champions before they---"
"I know, I know..." The Assassin waved a dismissal towards the Captain. "We need to save time and such forth... I'm just saying that it would have been nice to do so from the comfort of the future..." He slapped his cheek again. Another bug. "One with less bugs..." A beat. "This won't damage the timeline, will it? Killing the bugs? Stepping on the grass?"
"Perhaps..." Brian hummed. "But the timeline should be able to compensate for a missing mosquito or two. It won't be able to compensate for a Rogue Akuma. It won't be able to compensate for a missing mountain."
"He can do that? This... 'Akuma' fellow everyone seems so desperate to find?"
"I took the liberty of perusing through some more museum records before we left. It's possible..." Brian lamented. "Even if he can't we're going to want to bring him in regardless. Powers or no powers, a Rogue Champion this far in the past could cause some serious---"

Crack!

"Problems..."
Brian raised his foot and took a step backwards, signaling his companions to retreat in turn. Sitting atop a pile of flattened grass sat an empty, half-flattened purple soda can.
"Nexium Energy..." Jacob squinted at the trash, readings its deformed label as best he could. "Unless Adam and Eve are fans of cheap sports drinks..."
"We're not alone..." Brian whispered for his party to lower their voices. "Stay alert..."

NNNYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHOOOORRRR

In this distance, a great and mighty beast unleased a guttural, pained roar. The creature's monstrous wail was enough to shake the trees and earth alike.

❝ You know what? Take me somewhere with the least action. I can make the goddamn hell you'd want to see there even if it were the safest place around. There's bound to be someone trying to hide it out, away from the fighting. I'll kill them. Just take me there and consider it done. ❞ Eren answers in a serious tone of voice, a strange contrast from how he reacted to earlier events not too long ago. Even when he was sure on his answer to Arcade's offer, Eren felt as if that wasn't at all what he wanted to do, but at the same time, it made sense to him as his own decision anyways.
"Your wish is my command, Champion..." Arcade grinned. "Go have your fun, Gamerbo---"
In a flash of crimson, the city around Eren faded to green. Concrete turned to grass. Glass turned to bark. On the Madman's orders, Yeager was tossed across time and space, eventually coming to a safe and sudden stop in the heart of the Prehistory Zone. Landing on his knees atop a distant cliff, the Titan Hunter could survey the entirety of the jungle. In the distance, he could make out the silhouettes of three lone Champions marching blindly into the unknown. A single member of the party possessed any powers of note. The rest were regular, flesh-and-blood men. Vulnerable. Distracted by a British man's complaints.

The Champions were completely unaware of Eren's arrival. Blessed with the element of surprise, the Titan Hunter had every opportunity to prepare an ambush, set a trap, or simply charge on in for a stealth attack.

In this distance, a great and mighty beast unleased a guttural, pained roar. The creature's monstrous wail was enough to shake the trees and earth alike.

@Takumi @Gummi Bunnies

2bbab1dce47c54c04b1757e57fd865b3e6472f91.png

❝ ... okay, then I'll go to the Victorian Zone. ❞ Mato hesitates for a moment before settling her mind on this decision to the Librarian. It was obvious that she didn't like being unable to save those that were killed in the past, but to her understanding, it was a very dangerous game to mess with the already fragile timelines that were present here. So if they could prevent the damage from getting to the point of no return... that was good enough.
Chase Davenport

Chase would take his moment to process everything that he had just been told. " There's actually a simpler solution to the problem. We split up our group and half of us go to the Medieval Era to attempt to catch him. Meanwhile, we send the other half to the Victorian Era to try to stop us. If the people in the past fail, we have more than one opportunity to catch him. "
She looked at the microphone in her hand, Dice's microphone, and gripped it tightly. If everything goes according to plan, you can give it back to him yourself... At this point, she had to assume that Dice was never coming back, that her memories of him would never come back. So much had happened that she couldn't remember, she needed to approach everything with a clean slate. "I...if what you say is true...then I'll go to the Victorian Era." This would just be like the missions her class would go on each month. Surely it would be fine...
Ifrit
@Sark @Space_Candy @Others?

Ifrit didn't look back, even though she could practically feel the heat radiating from that explosion. Of course, there was no way she would have predicted that they had been moments away from death, but nonetheless, Ifrit's erratic line of reasoning (partly, if not entirely driven by her hunger pains) had at least spared some lives.

Though, having a more childish side, she couldn't help but turn around just in time to see two people being flung into view from the explosion. One had passed out from exhaustion, the strange yellowish barrier that had previously protected him fading, while the other still seemed conscious. She spared only a moment to check upon Sinestro, if only to survey his wounds, before she focused for now on the battle at hand. Were the two friends? Or foes? She wasn't sure, but she knew they were on a different team than she was, and therefore she had to be carefull.

But, as immature as she may be, even she knew what was coming, and why the general in these trenches was so focused on the wasteland in front of them. This was after all a battlefield, and it was only a matter of time before they would run into enemies. As she prepared for the onslaught with the rest of the soldiers, she began to gather flames around herself, acting as an impromptu barrier, and also to be able to sear right through whatever enemies awaited them.

Soon enough, she saw them.

Creatures not of flesh and blood, but of metal. Little different than the drones she had seen in battle, but she knew what to do, not discouraged even by the losses incurred.

"Hehehehe... Let the ground boil!!!" She roared, and in a swift motion, she let loose the flames that had been surrounding her, in an effort to burn away at the advancing droids.

For now, she would have to play defense, but as soon as they had a chance, she yearned to advance forwards.

Sure, these were machines they were fighting against, but logically, these machines must be sent by someone, right? And that someone, would surely have food.

For now, she gritted her teeth, bearing through her hunger, and the pain of those dreaded originium crystals slowly eating away at her body. Her oripathy wasn't getting any better, especially now that it would be difficult for her condition to be treated, but there was no room to worry about that for now.

Though, oddly enough those crystals were spreading much slower through her body than they had been before she had first received treatment.

Perhaps the malnourished state her body was in also slowed down the progression of her Oripathy?

Maybe if someone more experienced were here, they would know. But for now, Ifrit focused on holding the line, and slowly gathering some excess flames, preparing to burn through the remaining enemies, and make a mad dash for a place she could find food, likely further down the battlefield.

Though, in the brief moments she could manage it, she peeked back towards where Sinestro lay, and perhaps Aizawa, had he decided to stick around.

At least it was unlikely she would be attacked from behind, but she was prepared to retaliate in the event that something did happen.
VICTORIAN ZONE
View attachment 10375
Smoke poured from the chimneys and towers of the Victorian Zone, filling the skies with a spectral haze. The phantom cloud that lingered overhead wasn't the usual choking smog that loomed over the city, however. It was darker. Warmed. It stunk. The haze that slipped from the roofs of the city's crumbling houses and overwhelmed crematoriums defined the zone's atmosphere. Scared and scarred citizens, burdened by boxes and bundles containing their meager possessions, flocked towards the city's docks. In the distance, a battle on the edge of the World War Zone raged on. What little supplies the city had left were being looted and dragged towards the frontlines to help prolong an already lost battle.

"Last Ship!" A filthy ferry master crowed, his face stained grey with smog. "Last Ship out of the City Leaves in 3 Minutes! Can't wait a moment longer, lest the Demon Returns! Women and Children First! Woman and Children First, I say!"

Widows wept. Women wailed. A band of soldiers, having wandered from the Warzone, assisted in the evacuation. Frightened and confused, they knew about as little as the rest of the zone's wounded populace. All they knew was that they needed to get out of the city before the Demon came back. They need to get out before the Cyborg Superman entered their damned city again.

Amidst the chaos, a single figure stood calmly by a dimming lamppost. Sheltered beneath the brim of a wide umbrella, the stranger's yellow eyes shone beneath the brim of his hat. All it took was a single glance at the Champions' not-so-inconspicuous garments to inspire him to take his leave. The stranger calmly turned his back on the crowd and marched back into the city, his hands resting lackadaisically in his pockets.

Across the city, Ifrit and her soldiers- or, perhaps, more accurate, Ifrit alone- held the line against another wave of LW units. Liquefied droids slumped down into puddle after puddle in the heart of no man's land. Tin heads were sent flying. Pre-Recorded screams rattled across the battlefield. But the droids showed no sign of stopping. For every machine the fell, two more were deployed to take its place. Ifrit's attacks were slowing the Droids' march, but even she couldn't postpone it indefinitely. Through their numbers alone, the droids slowly encircled the trench. A unit or two leaped into the tunnels, blasters raised. In a few flashes of crimson, a quarter of the defenders fell to the LWs. A blast from Sinestro's ring bought the soldiers another moment or two, but even the force of fear made little more than a dent in the droids' unrelenting line.

Across the battlefield, two men on mechanical horses observed the war's end. Together, they laughed.

"If they're allowed, I guess the other brats are allowed to come too. Not really much else to do here, I imagine," Fushimi shrugged, gesturing toward Eren and Shion as well. "So, is that an acceptable response?"
"Of course! Of course! The More the Merrier!" Arcade cooed, caressing his chin. "I wouldn't dream of leaving a kid unoccupied in a city like this. This is Murder World III. It's about as safe as Florida." A beat. "What I mean is---"

A flash of blue. A raging wind. A moment of nausea.
A heartbeat later, the Champions had arrived in their destination.
A frantic woman brushed past Tsung's shoulder. She dropped a box of possessions. She didn't stop to pick them up. A screaming child ran straight into Fushimi's leg. She didn't stop to apologize. She didn't stop to cry. Brushing herself off, she sprinted back into the heart of a nearby crowd, wailing for her mother. All it took was a single glance at the outfits of the workers rushing by them for the Champions to deduce that they had returned to the Victorian Zone. Hidden in the ruins of a fire-gutted house, Team Nexium were hidden from city at large. From across the docks, they could make out the silhouettes of their fellow champions. They were huddled together at the edge of the street, a few steps from the last ship out of the city. To strike at their fellow champions now would no doubt cause a considerable degree of collateral and human damage... but to do so now would also present them with a golden opportunity to thin the ranks of their foes... and it would also given them a fair few options in regards to human shields....

@Jeremi @Ver @Capri @York @Lucky @Yun Lee @Takumi @Gummi Bunnies @Space_Candy

PRE-HISTORY ZONE
View attachment 10374

The Pre-History Zone was hot, uncomfortably so. The air was thick with humidity. It was difficult to think beneath the cruel gaze of the planet's Suns. Their rays were hotter than ever, their burning fingers unfiltered by the layer of smog that stained the skies of the future. An hour into the march, Frye, now Jacob once again, had discarded his jacket, hat and cane. Three hours later, he had cast aside his waistcoat, cufflinks and tie. After fives hours in the jungle, Jacob had surrendered his previous decision not to complain.
"Remind me why we're here again..." The Assassin groaned, slapping a mosquito from is cheek. "Remind me why we're not checking.... anywhere else first... Somewhere... cooler?"
"Because this Zone is the Bedrock upon which all others sit." Braddock replied matter-of-factly. "Any changes that occur this far in the past will cause the most significant damage to the time stream. That was why supported Ramuda's decision to start here. To find the Rogue Champions before they---"
"I know, I know..." The Assassin waved a dismissal towards the Captain. "We need to save time and such forth... I'm just saying that it would have been nice to do so from the comfort of the future..." He slapped his cheek again. Another bug. "One with less bugs..." A beat. "This won't damage the timeline, will it? Killing the bugs? Stepping on the grass?"
"Perhaps..." Brian hummed. "But the timeline should be able to compensate for a missing mosquito or two. It won't be able to compensate for a Rogue Akuma. It won't be able to compensate for a missing mountain."
"He can do that? This... 'Akuma' fellow everyone seems so desperate to find?"
"I took the liberty of perusing through some more museum records before we left. It's possible..." Brian lamented. "Even if he can't we're going to want to bring him in regardless. Powers or no powers, a Rogue Champion this far in the past could cause some serious---"

Crack!

"Problems..."
Brian raised his foot and took a step backwards, signaling his companions to retreat in turn. Sitting atop a pile of flattened grass sat an empty, half-flattened purple soda can.
"Nexium Energy..." Jacob squinted at the trash, readings its deformed label as best he could. "Unless Adam and Eve are fans of cheap sports drinks..."
"We're not alone..." Brian whispered for his party to lower their voices. "Stay alert..."

"Your wish is my command, Champion..." Arcade grinned. "Go have your fun, Gamerbo---"
In a flash of crimson, the city around Eren faded to green. Concrete turned to grass. Glass turned to bark. On the Madman's orders, Yeager was tossed across time and space, eventually coming to a safe and sudden stop in the heart of the Prehistory Zone. Landing on his knees atop a distant cliff, the Titan Hunter could survey the entirety of the jungle. In the distance, he could make out the silhouettes of three lone Champions marching blindly into the unknown. A single member of the party possessed any powers of note. The rest were regular, flesh-and-blood men. Vulnerable. Distracted by a British man's complaints.

The Champions were completely unaware of Eren's arrival. Blessed with the element of surprise, the Titan Hunter had every opportunity to prepare an ambush, set a trap, or simply charge on in for a stealth attack.

@Takumi @Gummi Bunnies

VICTORIAN ZONE
View attachment 10375
Smoke poured from the chimneys and towers of the Victorian Zone, filling the skies with a spectral haze. The phantom cloud that lingered overhead wasn't the usual choking smog that loomed over the city, however. It was darker. Warmed. It stunk. The haze that slipped from the roofs of the city's crumbling houses and overwhelmed crematoriums defined the zone's atmosphere. Scared and scarred citizens, burdened by boxes and bundles containing their meager possessions, flocked towards the city's docks. In the distance, a battle on the edge of the World War Zone raged on. What little supplies the city had left were being looted and dragged towards the frontlines to help prolong an already lost battle.

"Last Ship!" A filthy ferry master crowed, his face stained grey with smog. "Last Ship out of the City Leaves in 3 Minutes! Can't wait a moment longer, lest the Demon Returns! Women and Children First! Woman and Children First, I say!"

Widows wept. Women wailed. A band of soldiers, having wandered from the Warzone, assisted in the evacuation. Frightened and confused, they knew about as little as the rest of the zone's wounded populace. All they knew was that they needed to get out of the city before the Demon came back. They need to get out before the Cyborg Superman entered their damned city again.

Amidst the chaos, a single figure stood calmly by a dimming lamppost. Sheltered beneath the brim of a wide umbrella, the stranger's yellow eyes shone beneath the brim of his hat. All it took was a single glance at the Champions' not-so-inconspicuous garments to inspire him to take his leave. The stranger calmly turned his back on the crowd and marched back into the city, his hands resting lackadaisically in his pockets.

Across the city, Ifrit and her soldiers- or, perhaps, more accurate, Ifrit alone- held the line against another wave of LW units. Liquefied droids slumped down into puddle after puddle in the heart of no man's land. Tin heads were sent flying. Pre-Recorded screams rattled across the battlefield. But the droids showed no sign of stopping. For every machine the fell, two more were deployed to take its place. Ifrit's attacks were slowing the Droids' march, but even she couldn't postpone it indefinitely. Through their numbers alone, the droids slowly encircled the trench. A unit or two leaped into the tunnels, blasters raised. In a few flashes of crimson, a quarter of the defenders fell to the LWs. A blast from Sinestro's ring bought the soldiers another moment or two, but even the force of fear made little more than a dent in the droids' unrelenting line.

Across the battlefield, two men on mechanical horses observed the war's end. Together, they laughed.

"Of course! Of course! The More the Merrier!" Arcade cooed, caressing his chin. "I wouldn't dream of leaving a kid unoccupied in a city like this. This is Murder World III. It's about as safe as Florida." A beat. "What I mean is---"

A flash of blue. A raging wind. A moment of nausea.
A heartbeat later, the Champions had arrived in their destination.
A frantic woman brushed past Tsung's shoulder. She dropped a box of possessions. She didn't stop to pick them up. A screaming child ran straight into Fushimi's leg. She didn't stop to apologize. She didn't stop to cry. Brushing herself off, she sprinted back into the heart of a nearby crowd, wailing for her mother. All it took was a single glance at the outfits of the workers rushing by them for the Champions to deduce that they had returned to the Victorian Zone. Hidden in the ruins of a fire-gutted house, Team Nexium were hidden from city at large. From across the docks, they could make out the silhouettes of their fellow champions. They were huddled together at the edge of the street, a few steps from the last ship out of the city. To strike at their fellow champions now would no doubt cause a considerable degree of collateral and human damage... but to do so now would also present them with a golden opportunity to thin the ranks of their foes... and it would also given them a fair few options in regards to human shields....

@Jeremi @Ver @Capri @York @Lucky @Yun Lee @Takumi @Gummi Bunnies @Space_Candy

Ramuda remained quiet as Jacob complained, rolling his eyes before using his hat in an attempt to keep the sun from his eyes.

"So how are we gonna bring him in exactly? If we can find him before anything bad happens at least--"

When told that someone else had been in the area, followed by some sort of wounded beast loudly crying out, the pinkette pulled out one of the mics he kept on him, blue eyes scanning the area for whatever possibly made the noise, sticking close to the Assassin and Brian.

@Sark @Gummi Bunnies @Prehistory

Shion felt a bit disoriented with the sudden change of scenery. Though taking quick notice of the rest of the Champions in the vicinity made him a bit tense, given that he didn't really know what exactly Shang or Fushimi would do now that they were here. He had assumed that the old man had simply told Arcade what he might have wanted to hear to try and find more allies, though he could've been wrong.

Fushimi...well, he seemed rather straightforward.

@Sark @Jeremi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Lucky @Space_Candy @Everyone @Victorian Era

If they sought a demon then a demon they would find. Henshaw hovered among the smoke slightly hidden from view, having abandoned the others almost instantly. He had been the cause of all this misery. Not that he felt bad for it but his new mission would do little to save the people, it would give Henshaw satisfaction in going against this supposed fate that had been placed on him.

For now he silently scanned the area for something to catch his eye.

Tsung had gotten what he had asked for and his supposed foes were right in front of them. There was now only one thing for him to do.

Raise his hands into the air as he slowly started to walk towards them.

@Sark @Takumi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Lucky @Space_Candy @Everyone @Victorian Era

Chase Davenport

Chase was smart enough to understand that the Victorian Era was the safer bet, not just because the older man harped on it as the right choice, but it most likely meant whoever went to Medieval would fail. He was not entirely human, but he wasn't about to test how his bionics limited aging. He knew that he had passed puberty, but he knew where and when they stopped, especially when he had been born human. He knew that getting rid of the other champions was the smart play, but he instead opted to use his bionics to look for traces of the vampire. He knew that the vampire creature had promised him death, but what he did couldn't stand.

@Sark @Takumi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Space_Candy @Victorian Era

Mollymauk Tealeaf

The entire conversation with the Librarian had left a sour taste in Molly's mouth. That man was so worried about the timeline or whatever, and honestly he didn't care. He was going to find this world better than he found it, even if it was the last thing that he did. He had headed for the Medieval Era. " I'm going to prove that man wrong, leaving some place better is never the wrong choice. Now if I was a vampire, where would I hid?" The tiefling also took a little time to work on a disguise, not doing much other than to look somewhat human.....with little prep.

@Sark @Bad- I mean Medieval Era

What a wretched place this was...but Marianne regarded it not with disgust, but with heartache. She'd encountered svenes like this in school, often tending to the wounded villagers after a bandit attack while Claude and other classmates fought the bandits themselves. But you can heal and run as often as you like, and never escape pain. Only in death and reunion with the Goddess could freedom finally be achieved...but the Goddess keeps Marianne alive yet.

She had always wondered why, why someone cursed like her continued to live on and survive these horrible situations. Was the Goddess punishing her? Rejecting her? But now, as she looked around the area and locked eyes with those of a stranger, yellow eyes that sent the same chill down her spine as the eyes from that opera house in Prudence had...she knew the answer. This man, this phantom, all the pain and suffering he'd caused needed to end. Marianne hadn't been strong enough then, even without Haytham screaming that fact at her. One hand touched the back of her neck, where his blade had gone, while the other gripped Dice's microphone. She was strong enough now. She had to be. Not just for her, but for Dice, and Jyuto, and everyone else lost in Prudence and here.

Marianne didn't notice the two new arrivals, her mind and focus locked onto the shadowy figure making his exit. Refusing to wait around, she started off to confront him, determined to end his evil once and for all.

@Sark @Takumi @Ver @Gummi Bunnies @Space_Candy @Jeremi @Victorian Era​

Back