Akashic Arcana CHAPTER I - Genesis || The Entrance Exam - ARCHIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangyl

The monorail speeded along its magnetic levitation rail; its speed high but comfortable enough to allow its passengers a comfortable journey. The monorail's pillars were made to look like slanted spikes that rise from the ocean; the foundations invisible, for they were build into the ocean's sturdy floor. Mounted on top of the slanted spikes was the monorail's track; a singular white-colored rail that led the monorail to its destination; Arcadia Acadamy.

Inside the - absurdly - long monorail's many coupés, a sudden pling could be heard; alerting its many thousands of travelers to the incoming announcement. The voice that had been used in the recording seemingly monotone and mechanical;

"Welcome applicants, to the Arcadia Academy monorail; built for your pleasure, your leisure and your convenience."

Ending the first part of the announcement was the same pling heard before, followed by another, alerting the many travelers - once again - of a incoming announcement. This time, however, the announcement was recorded by a female with a clear and reassuring voice;

"On behalf of the Arcadia Academy, we would like to welcome you to the Monorail; the Academy's main provider of connectivity. Following now will be information regarding travel time and what to do when you, the applicant, arrives at the Arcadia Academy Central Station. First, the travel time will be one hour and twenty-six minutes. Second, when you arrive at the Arcadia Academy Central Station, you leave the Monorail in a orderly fashion. Orderly means 'neathly and methodically arranged', so please keep that in mind. You are to follow any and all instructions given by the Academy's Disciplinary Forces, for it is them who will protect you and show you where to go. First-year students are to proceed towards the 'Main Lobby', for that is where your life at the Academy begins. Second- and Third-year students are to report to the 'Main Lobby' as well. On behalf of the Arcadia Academy and the Monorail, we would like to wish you a comfortable journey!"

The same sound that had started the second announcement could be heard again; a clear indication of it having ended.

Every single one of the Monorail's coupé's has white- and black colored seats of great quality flanking the main pathway. Comfortable four-seat areas with a table are in the middle of each row that flank said pathway. Many of the seats were already taken; and all of those who had taken their seats were either First, Second or Third-year students that attend - or are going to attend - the Arcadia Academy. Most of them were conversing quietly, whilst others were more vocal in their conversations. Every now and then someone would laugh hard, or would speak out to gain someone's attention. Stewards and stewardess of remarkable beauty, holding plates filled with fresh drinks and interesting snacks, were walking through the pathways; offering their products to the many thousands of travelers. Obviously, all of the fresh beverages were provided by the Academy, whilst the snacks were of the Monorail's own menu.

Every second coupé has - along with the standard seats and four-seat areas - two restrooms that accomodate every sanitary need, except showering. Soft music can be heard playing in the Monorail, meant to sooth the soul as the Monorail speeds over the ocean. The rolling of the waves could not be heard; but one could witness it's endless aggression through one of the many panorama windows that were fitted into the Monorail's structure or lose him- or herself into the beauty of the ocean down below by glancing through one of the glass panels that were fitted in the coupé's flooring.

The differences between the First- and Second-/Third-year students were rather obvious. Where the Second- and Third-year students have often formed groups of friends or training buddies, the First-year students were often sitting alone in their seats. Of course, there are exceptions; and plenty of the Second- and Third-year students were actively conversing with the First-year students. The mood amongst the Second- and Third-year students was good; excitement was in the air, for word was that the Second- and Third-year students would be allowed to spectate a part of the First-year's entrance exam; namely the Combat-orientated test. However, the exact same caused the First-year students to be more nervous than ever.

Suddenly, a collective gasp echoed through the Monorail's numerous coupé's as the Academy's beautiful skyline became visible on the horizon. The mere sight of the manmade island caused the majority of the students to turn their heads to see the place that would be their home for the months to come...

Last edited:
A dark-skinned boy with a short Mohawk sat in his seat staring out into the expanse of the ocean, the Academy slowly coming into focus as he gazed out. The boy, Masego Zulu, would've been bombarded by questions of his health by his friends as normally the guy couldn't stay quiet. But his friends weren't here, nobody he knew was here, and he was deep in reflective thought, looking back on the journey that had brought him so far from his home in South Africa.

The voice of his ancestor, the legendary Shaka Zulu, rang out in his head. "You'll never hope to silence me, this academy will only strengthen our resolve. We shall show the weak the true power of the Zulu!" Masego muttered a phrase in Afrikaans, telling the voice to leave him alone, and sighed. Shaka had grown more vocal throughout the journey, it was starting to affect his focus.

If there was one thing Masego was looking forward too, it was making new friends and showing off what he could do. He'd heard that the 2nd and 3rd year students would get to spectate the combat portion of their entrance exam, and to be honest, that spotlight excited him. He wanted them to notice him, be impressed by his feats. But was that him talking, or Shaka? Masego couldn't tell anymore.

Deciding that he'd had enough of brooding by himself, he got out of his seat and approached one of the stewards, as he spoke, his thick African accent carried strength and confidence with his words. "Excuse me, could I get a drink of water, please?" He asked the steward. While waiting he decided to chat the man up. "You ever been to Arcadia? outside of this monorail of course." He added the last bit with a hearty chuckle.

The steward turned around and quickly straightened his clothes. The badge on his chest showed both the Monorail's logo and the Acadamy's; further showing how deeply connected the two are. He smiled graciously, his perfectly white teeth highly visible as he now looked the young - what he assumed to be - student in the eyes, before saying; "Well, ofcourse you could get a glass of water, sir!" He smiled brightly at the student before continuing: "However, we also offer carbonated drinks, fresh juices, coffee and tea. Are you sure you'd like a mere glass of water, sir?" He tilted his head a little to the side; "I assure you; all of the drinks are offered to you by the Academy and free of charge."

The steward then-flicked open his personal device; the see-through screen in the middle powering up with magical energy. The first thing that came into view - both the steward's and the student's - was the Monorail logo, followed by a screen filled with data; primarily the prices for snacks and also the remaining travel time. The steward quickly browsed through several screens; his eyes focussed on information of importance to him; but utter gibberish too others. He quickly looked back at the student and then replied to his question; "Have i been at the Academy? Why yes, for that is where we received these lovely beverages!" He made a hand gesture in the shape of a swipe and a screen filled with both fresh juices and carbonated drinks showed up. There was also a section dedicated to water; springwater, carbonated water, and several other options. "What would it be, sir?" The steward asked and smiled again. He didn't try to sell anything, he didn't try to force any of his products onto the students. All he did was offer the service everyone who uses Monorail deserves. The slogan doesn't say 'for your pleasure, your leisure and your convenience' for nothing, after all.

Mago couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at the steward's insistence on picking another drink besides water. Him and his family only really busted out another type of drink on a special occasion. This certainly counted as a special occasion, but he hadn't actually made it through the entrance exam yet so he had no need for any other kind of drink. "Just water thanks. I've still got a combat exam to prepare for, and I don't drink anything besides water before combat."

He didn't really know where to go from there since in the span of time that he's talked to the steward, all he'd mentioned were beverages. "What's wrong with water anyway? It's an essential element to keep your body running. I wouldn't exactly call it a 'mere' glass." He quipped back.

"Certainly, sir." The steward replied to the student's choice. At the question of what could be wrong with water, he simply chuckled; "Oh, there is nothing wrong with water. It is, as you said; essential to our continued existence." He then pushed together his personal device, turned heels and walked towards the coupé in which the beverages were stored.

When he got back he was carrying a plate on which he had put a glass and a bottle of spring water. He walked towards the student, and when he finally reached him he bend forward and offered him the glas and the bottle of spring-water whilst saying; "Your water, sir. Enjoy!" He then turned heels once more and began to help the other students, of which the majority had witnessed how the steward had pulled forth a list of all the beverages they serve.

The steward sighed sadly as he realized he would have to put in a order for new fresh juices and carbonated drinks...

A young girl, very likely the youngest on the train, was also sitting alone. Obviously a first-year, given her young age, tiny body, and her barely containable excitement. This girl is Princess Artoria Pendragon, daughter of King Amhar Pendragon, and heir to the throne of Brittania. Her golden-blonde hair was pulled back and tied up into a neat bun with a royal blue ribbon, with her simplistic yet regal wear hinting at her noble heritage; a blue blouse (matching her ribbon) tucked into her black knee-length skirt with white leggings and black formal shoes.

When the Academy came into view, the Princess practically plastered her face against the window, giddy with anticipation. She mostly ignored the announcements, until she heard a familiar voice over the speakers. She pulled back into her seat and perked up, listening closely. Her face slowly turned into one of awe and surprise when she realized who was speaking. "No way..."

Now snapped out of her daydreaming and more aware of the others aboard the train, Artoria looked to the seat in front of her. She noticed the conversation going on, as well as the steward handing out drinks. Scooting down to the end of her seat and leaning forward on the backrest before her, she would address the staff member, "Excuse me, could I get an orange juice?"

Once her order was tended to, the Princess couldn't help but look to Masego, a particular detail he had mentioned sticking out. "Um, pardon me, sir, but did you mention something about a combat exam?" The implications of such a thing both terrified and excited her. Artoria was always eager to prove herself in combat, as is befitting a Mage of Brittania, but she had a feeling that her competition would be extremely fierce.

As Artoria and Masego were getting situated, several slim blue screens slowly descended from above for all the students to see aboard the train. A familiar ringing for attention could be heard, and as the screen flickered to life, they could see the Academy's logo appear. Soon after a few short panoramic sequences of Arcadia Island, Viktoriya Mikhailovna Romanov I, appeared. She stood by a balcony of Arcadia Academy, and behind her was a gorgeous view of the entire Arcadia Prefecture, sea-side, and many aesthetic sculptures. The woman was a tall looking Slavic woman with a strong muscle tone and yet a natural athletic build. Her skin pigmentation is pale with light nuances of pink. Her face is angular with noble characteristics, such as well-defined, high cheekbones and bright silver eyes. Her nose shape is of aquiline texture, accompanied by a sharp narrow mouth and a pair of natural rosa alluring lips. Finally, those long raven-black hair looked almost silken, bathed in the sun. She offered them a smile, and her sense of style seems to be a white shirt with a black bowtie.

"Welcome students of Arcadia Academy. I welcome both our new applicants to our prestigious Academy and the returning second and third-year students. My name is Viktoriya Mikhailovna Romanov, some of you know me as the heir to the throne of the Confederacy Empire, but what I am to tell you is simply this. Titles, social positions, and birthrights. It means nothing in Arcadia. Our society is not built upon nepotism, it is built on strength and hard work."

She offered them a sincere smile before crossing her right arm over her heart in a good gesture before she graciously bows towards the people beyond the screen.

"My role of this Academy is the Student Council President. For those who may not know of Arcadia's unique way of governing, I will summarize for you. The Student Council's duty is to ensure the education and daily life of Arcadia Academy run smoothly. The Disciplinary Committee's duty is to ensure your safety."

As Viktoriya explained, a few students were talking amongst themselves.

Unknown first-year student: "So what she is saying is... that she is basically the Queen of the Island yeah? That's what I hear from the way the Student Council works. At least there is a re-election in six months..."

Unknown second-year student: "Keep your voice down, she did not become President for show alone. You need to be among the top 10 of best Academics to even dream of running. Not to mention, the Mage Tournament later this year... the Third-years are demons."

The steward; just having finished serving out yet another round of drinks to a rather loud group further towards the back of the coupé quickly walked over to the girl who had called for his services, only to be stopped in his tracks when he recognized the girl. With his heart beating in his throat and his eyes wide in awe, he bowed his head respectfully, in accordance with the proper etiquette,whilst saying; "Your Royal Highness, princess Artoria..." He tilted his head up to look at her; his eye still opened wide. He then stood up straight again; looking at the princess. He blushed slightly as he said; "My humblest of apologies, Your Royal Highness, but Miss Weiss can assist you with anything you might need. I am afraid my duties call me elsewhere..." He bowed his head once more and said; "Your Royal Highness..." and then walked off into the direction of where Amanda Weiss was serving out drinks.

"Amanda, that lady over there is Princess Artoria of Brittain. Please be a dear and give her your full, personal attention." He nodded, then wanted to turn around and walk away, only to turn towards Amanda once again; "Obviously, only if the princess requires that of you." He then smiled and walked off to take orders and provide service...

Amanda was just finishing up with putting up some of the articles in her hand in a cupboard. When the Steward came in and told her of the 'VIP' guest, Amanda only folded her hands before her skirt. "I will go attend to her, sir. If she needs me that is."

Without further delay, Weiss finished up her prior duties as she made her way down the walkway towards Artoria's seat, but she seems to stop for a moment as she notices that the young Princess was conversing with another student. As she did not want to come across as rude, the stewardess decided to take care of other student's needs. Honestly, the Academy preached no nepotism, and those are ideals she stands by, royalty or not.

Masego watched as the steward moved away, only to see that same waiter making a giant scene on the train. Apparently the young blonde girl he was bowing to was royalty of some kind. Mago couldn't help but find the stewards actions ironic seeing as the Student Council President had just appeared on screen saying the school doesn't value nepotism.

Regardless, he greeted the young girl with a warm smile as she approached. "Yep, standard process of the entrance exam. At least that's what they told me when I applied for Arcadia. You seem a bit young to be worrying about such a thing though." He pointed out before realizing something. "Oh, where are my manners? My name's Masego Zulu, nice to meet you." He said holding out his hand for a handshake. He'd never met royalty before so wasn't sure of the proper greeting etiquette, so he just decided to be himself.

Artoria blinked, surprised at the sudden formalities. Regardless, she smiled and gave a polite nod to the steward, acknowledging what he said. She'd mumble under her breath "I just want some orange juice.." as he walked away. She felt her cheeks blush, embarrassed from the attention and could swear she felt several gazes boring into her from the other passengers. She slunk down into the seat, waiting for the other monorail staff to bring her drink.

Turning her attention back to Masego, she thought over what he said. "Oh, entrance exam. I suppose that makes sense." Then she tilted her head in confusion "Too young? Is it not normal for people my age to apply to the Academy?" Her earlier fears just came back even more intense. She was going to be at a clear disadvantage if her peers were much older than she was. When the boy held out his hand, she smiled and accepted the handshake. "Artoria Pendragon. Nice to meet you too, Masego."

Quicker banking? Viola let her thoughts wander, getting lost in the soft scratching of her pencil as she drew random nonsense shapes on a piece of paper. It helped her think. Maybe decelerate quickly, then burst in another direction?

Viola drew a box within a box, then scribbled it all out in a flurry of lines.

No, she she responded to herself, still thinking out her problem. I don't think the dampeners could keep my body safe.

Sighing, Viola crumpled up the paper and stuffed it on her handbag. She'd been silent now, but it was time to mingle. Her eyes traveled from face to face, trying to find someone fun to talk to while she waited for them to arrive.

Target acquired. Moving in.

Viola stood up onto her feet, hesitating a brief moment when she realized that no one else seemed to be wearing business-casual clothing but then she metaphorically crumbled that up and tossed it in her bag with the rest of her garbage.

Striding up to Amanda, she smiled widely and spoke.

"Hi! I’m Viola Facett. Do you know what the announcement said a little bit ago? I wasn’t listening to it. You see, there’s something I’m working on. It’s very top secret. But we’re dressed pretty similar today! What year are you in?”

Amanda looked towards the young girl who asked for her assistance. The stewardess looked to be in her mid-twenties, and by the way she stood with composure, she could have been a royal handmaiden with her discipline.

"Of course miss, I am happy to oblige," Amanda spoke in a soft soothing tone. The woman wore an imperial inspired uniform with a cap over the tightly packed bun tucked under it. "The announcement was a short presentation of Arcadia Academy's current Student Council President, Ms. Vikitoriya Mikhailovna Romanov. She was talking about the core principals of the school. Nepotism is highly frowned upon. Your titles, names, birthright, outside this academy, means nothing. When you pass your trials and assigned classes, you are as equal as everyone else who made it. This is, after all, the most prestigious Mage Academy in the world, if you have the talents and strength to make it through here, then it is because of you, and not the title you were given when born."

The Stewardess smiled deeply towards Viola Facett, gently she lowered her head in a humble manner. "If that was all, Ms. Facett, would you like me to bring you something to drink, or tell you more about the Academy or any topic in general?"

Amanda couldn't stop but looking over towards Viola's drawings, a soft smile on her lips. "If I am not mistaking, that is a concept of a Gravity Suit for the Alliance's Flight magic is it not?" - This stewardess does not seem like a regular one if she could see the difference between a child' drawing and an actual military hardware in an instant.

Ade fell asleep on the train before it even took off. He had a long way to go from his small community until Tokyo, and he was crushed. He woke up sometimes later for the announcements and was glad that he got some of his energy back. Maybe it was the nap, maybe it was the excitement of heading towards a new life.

In the end, though, it was the Student President’s voice that shook him back into being more humble and a lot more nervous. He knew why he was here, after all, but it wasn’t time to do anything about it just yet. He pushed back the thoughts in his mind and continued watching as Viktoriya kept on looking at the crowd. She seemed serious with a kind smile, and Ade had suddenly hoped he could talk with her.

“Excuse me-” he tried to catch another student’s attention, who seemed to be also coming from Haven, trying to get to know more about the Student President, but his throat was dry and scratchy, barely anything coming out. He put his hand around his neck, trying to keep it warm, while he turned around and saw a male steward closeby.
“Sorry, mister… Can I get some water?” he whispered with a kind, half-begging smile.

He instantly felt bad when he saw the panic in Artoria's eyes. He recognized the name Pendragon from his world history lessons, that was the surname of Brittania's ruling family, which explains why that steward was fawning over her earlier. He quickly attempted to make it up to her.

"Well it's probably not that unusual. What are you 15, 16? I'm only 18 so you're only a couple years behind me, not that far of a gap. Plus you've got that holy Pendragon blood, right? So you've already got an advantage to cancel out your youth. And whoever said youth was a bad thing, eh? The younger you are, the more the passion of youth burns bright inside you! That passion will leave the rest of us (except me) in the dust!" He was growing more animated as he talked, his eyes sparkling from enthusiasm.

He could've sworn he heard another voice, but it got drowned out by his own monologue. Recovering from his bombastic speech, he let out an embarrassed chuckle and scratched the back of his head. "Sorry about that. Sometimes I get carried away. I'm just so excited to be attending Arcadia, but hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one." He said.

At first, Artoria was taken aback by the boy's overly passionate attitude. "Um, yes, I'm 15. Yes, I do, but-" She would be cut off by his sonorous speech on youth. At this point, she was simply impressed by Masego's fiery passion, that she could only stare at him with a wide-eyed expression. Once he finished, she would clap softly, then let out a low giggle. "No, I understand. I'm excited as well, and I can't wait to get started."

The Princess overheard the stewardess' conversation with Viola, and her heart skipped a beat. Vikki is the Student Council President? Hearing a faint voice, she leaned over the seat again, looking for the source. Upon seeing Ade trying to get someone's attention for a drink, she'd turn around to face Miss Weiss, and try to get her attention. "Excuse me, ma'am? Could we get some water, please?" She'd pause, then add "And an orange juice as well."

Viola listened to Amanda speak, smile still stretching from ear to ear as she listened to her recap the announcement she had missed. She almost felt sad that she didn't hear it the first time. It sounded like some pretty important thing she needed to know. Of course, thanks to her new friend, she had been recapped on everything.

I wonder if we'll be in the same class. She didn't realize that her class question had not been answered until she'd been questioned about whether or not she wanted something. Then, of course, the door opened and she understood.

Her face pinked, just a little, her tanned skin making the subtle changes harder to pick up on. "Oh! Yes. I'll have some tea. Milk and sugar please. Oh! And some cake. Chocolate."

Her attention was drawn back to her sketches, and her concept designs. Her face brightened again and she stretched up just a little bit onto her toes, to get some added height. "Oh yes! Isn't it so cool!? I'm going to master this in no time and propel mankind bey----" Then something occurred to her. Her face blushed again, and she sputtered for words, nearly biting her tongue in her rush to get them out. "He-tha-eeeeagh. That's supposed to be a secret. Ssssh."

She ended her warning with a finger to her lips and a conspiratorial glance around the train. She didn't want to ruin the surprise so soon.

Amanda looked over her shoulder towards the princess, she only offered a curtsy bow to acknowledge her request. When she returned her attention to Viola, she couldn't help but hide her chuckle behind her hand. "I'll see to your request, Ms. Viola. And do not worry, your secrets are safe with me." She made a zipping motion over her lips with her fingers, only to wink slyly towards the girl. Amanda left the wagon to enter the bar, that was meant for the many staff members to serve the students.

First, Amanda tended to the tea. As Viola requested milk tea, Amanda reached for the box with fresh Pearl Tea leaves from Korea. With the already preboiled water, she poured the tea leaves and water together, until a rich color came forth from within the stainless steel shaker. Amanda added fresh milk and cream, then used vanilla fermented syrup instead of sugar. With graceful movements, she began to shake all the contents together in the shaker. She poured the delicious hot milk tea texture into a glass with boiled black tapioca pearls and ice. Then added a large straw as well.
27dfc11c0e4eaf592989bd2874415c43.png

For Artoria's drink, Amanda began to freshly squeeze in several cut oranges from the cupboard above into a glass of ice. She even made a spiral cut of the orange's meet to decorate the inside of the glass. While the Princess didn't ask for anything else, Amanda decided to add a cute blue umbrella into the delicious looking orange juice. She put both of the beverages on a tray before heading out towards the students in the other wagon. However, she just recalled the other boy next to the Princess, who needed some water. She grabbed a bottle of mineral water from the counter before heading down.

"Here is your drink Ms. Viola, I hope you don't mind my brash recommendation of Pearl Milk tea, vers Korea style." She smiled as she placed the cold drink on the small window table next to Viola. "I know you requested hot, but Arcadia is really warm this season, and you will be taking the entrance exam outside." She smiled once again before heading out to Artoria. She offered the Princess the cute orange juice glass with the blue Umbrella swirling. There was also a straw.

"Sorry for the wait Ms. Pendragon. If there is anything else. Let me know."

Gently, she offers Ade the water bottle with a smile. "If you would like to take advantage of our exotic menu, please let me know sir."

Ade smiled gracefully towards the girl, and then soon after was bowing his head as he was given the water bottle. He gulped down on it, and soon after he could feel his voice coming back.
“Thank you” he turned towards the young lady, Artoria. “I hope I didn’t intrude on that wonderful speech” he smiled and looked at Masego. “It was impressive, even made me feel better.”
He looked at the water bottle for a second, trying to come up with something to say. He looked up and decided to introduce himself. “My name is Adebowale, but I believe Ade is easier. This is my first year, and I am excited to meet all of you.”
He tried to focus on both of the students equally, but something inside of him pulled towards Artoria. She seemed so young and rather small inbetween all the students, but Ade didn’t yet know what to do about this. “Are you here with anyone, young lady? Or is someone waiting for you?”

Hanzo sat alone preferring to keep to himself though his attention was snagged away by the announcement that came on. The nervousness stirred in him as he thought about how hard it was going to be to find his place in this academy. After the announcement was over he laid back in his seat and relaxed a bit.

He thought about going to sleep he was snapped back awake by a conversation happening right in front of him. A girl that looked real young was talking to a boy with a very thick African accent. Pendragon and Zulu we're both names he had before. They were both prominent names in history. These were the kind of people he would be up against during the exam. He had to admit that it pumped him up a little bit.

He realized that he was parched for some reason. "Mam can I get some coconut juice," he asked the stewardess after she finished passing out all of the drinks. Maybe I'll talk to them after I get my drink, he thought to himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back