Character Creation Aid!

NobodyCahn

I've noticed a lot of forums offer up questions but I have yet to find an actual form dedicated entirely to post tips and tricks for some common problems authors and roleplays alike struggle with. So I'm creating the first of it's kind hopefully not ripping off anyone's idea or actual post I am still getting used to this site, a forum specifically for posting tips and tricks when it comes to a specific part of writing this one is Character Building/Creation! Post any small tips or tricks you have for creating your character's personality, looks, likes, dislikes, etc. Just about any tip is welcome since this is generally the first thing people do aside from picking a setting.

1. I've noticed it's easiest to find a blog with a basic fill-in profile template or multiple for flexibility. This also helps you take into account things that generally go unthought-of when building a whole new character.
  2. Think of the small details that can make up a personality: Name, Zodiac sign, favorite color, relationships, personal experiences, stereotypes, status quo, etc. This will help you shape how they how and act as well as will aid you in building a backstory.
  3. Inspiration is a double-edged sword. I've noticed several times my character heavily resembles the person I'm obsessed with at the moment, make sure your not making a carbon copy but creating an actual human.
  4. Think a lot. Think like them. Put yourself in their shoes and look at their world and not be looking down at them from above. Perspective matters!
  5. Their appearance affects them. As you change their personality, they will most likely also change clothes to fit this change and reflect it. Impulsively dying and cutting hair may be an internet trend but we've all had that phase.
Helpful Links I have!

I once created two characters who I would regularly play together and instead of posting their info in a basic profile format, I presented it as an interview. It made sense because they were regularly known for their relatively harmless criminal lifestyle and so I made the interviewer into someone who was chasing a story and managed to snag an interview with one of them. I'm still fond of and dare I say proud of that particular idea.

So I guess my advice would be to mix up your presentation a little. You're not restricted to the basic ASL profile format. Why not journal entries? Or if your character has a criminal background, you can deliver their typical profile information in the form of an arrest record or a bounty flyer. Writing jewel thief's profile from an in-character perspective can be a lot of fun and if that perspective happens to be that of a different character, you can sprinkle in some misconceptions or even outright lies.

Back