Character Creation Depth

So, quite recently, I've considered just how far one is to go with their character during creation. Coming from a tabletop RPG point of view, I tend to be very light with backstory, multiple facets of a personality, and other such things. Generally, I let my characters develop their personalities as we go and attach more backstory with passing events. When ya'll are making your characters, be it in a game or story, how deep do you go with it?

A good way to start is by taking online personality tests through the POV of your character's, such as The Myrers Briggs test. This not only will help you begin thinking the way your character does, it also helps determine their personality as well.

For instance, my character Pyotr is an INFP, which actually helped me out a ton in his development.

Last edited:
But what if you're not sure about how your character's going to be? What you (Arthro) are doing sounds like you already know your character pretty well to start off with. I have the same 'problem' Kingslayer does, that my characters often develop over time, starting with a very basic framework and fleshing out as you explore them. Sure you can explore your character in your head, trying to imagine how they might react to something or someone, but I feel its not the same as doing it with a partner in an actual roleplay.

@The Kingslayer What I like to do is think about what motivates my character to do or say this rather than that, often times this generates a backstory of its own which I can work around. I also like looking at my partners character and/or the plot and thinking about what kind of synergy I want to create. This second option dosen't always work for various reasons, but it might help a bit.

Personally, I like to change it up. I have a few really well-developed characters in my arsenal (either I came up with their personality and backstory on the spot, or they were developed over time in a different role play) with thorough histories and fleshed-out personalities. On the other hand, sometimes I like to come up with a completely new character and get to know him/her over the course of the RP. Sometimes even the backstory doesn't come until later, similar to the revelation of a character's history throughout a book or movie.

I enjoy both ways of doing it. If my partner is exceptional, he/she will probably have a part in developing my character through the actions of his/her own character. Sometimes it's good to have things worked out ahead of time, but sometimes it's fun to see what you create as you go.

For me, I generally tend to have two or three characters that I know everything about and everything is already set: their personality, background, appearance, etc... These I generally use when I have writer's block or when I'm just not in the mood to make up new characters. On the other hand, I have some names at my disposal that I like and that I use when I roleplay, and make up everything as the story goes along. So it depends on the mood I'm in at the moment.

Most of the times, I create a character and let them develop naturally, which is the best course for me. Occasionally I plan most of their personality and backstory. At one point I made an OC character just a painting of someone inspired me to do so.

I don't bother to add personality, or sometimes backstory itself on a character sheet, and generally a character sheet I create is very light on the details. Only really detailing what the character can or cannot do, and maybe motivation? I find writing down your characters personality traits just acts to narrow down, and what your character can do in the story itself. And for backstory I always find it more interesting to explain it through the story itself.

Back