Cognoscenti :: An Otherworldly Dystopia

The Taleweaver

Vagabond Skald
Throughout history, man has ever been the most self-destructive of creatures. No species in all of Creation has ever refined the art of killing their brethren quite like Mankind. From ballistae to bombs, rifles to artillery rounds, man is eternally seeking a 'better death'. A better killer.

So tell me, reader. What happens when, instead of technology and science, man turns to the occult in this quest? What if, in his attempt to perfect the art of murder, mankind manages to wake something never meant to see the light of the sun again?

Such was the fate of the Cognoscenti. Originally an infamous group of international mercenaries devoted to the manufacture and sale of arms to the highest bidder, they eventually reached what they considered to be the pinnacle of technological might. Sonic weaponry, laser rifles, plasma ... Their wares were in high demand.

And yet still, they wanted more. Something stronger. More deadly. They were the Cognoscenti, and their sphere of power was war. They had exhausted their scientific options ... so they began to explore the supernatural.

Sinful rituals, ancient rites best consigned to a forgotten corner of history. Blood sacrifices. Possession. More and more, the Cognoscenti hoarded knowledge of the occult as they did armaments; they also drew the attention of something far more horrifying than themselves.

From deep within the Space Between, the never-there, the unseen, came a man. Or at least, he seemed a man.

He called himself Iscariot, and he claimed to have the answer to all of their desires. What he brought, what he offered, we may never know the specifics. All we know is that, when the Cognoscenti unleashed it for the first time, Hell tore through onto Earth. The terrors they called forth ravaged mankind. Over the course of two weeks, over two-thirds of the population died.

It was left to the remnants to pick up the pieces, and find a way to combat these otherworldly horrors.

Hello, everyone, and thank you for perusing my short teaser for 'Cognoscenti', a post-apocalyptic survival horror roleplay I've been tossing around for awhile now! The basic concept would be a small group of survivors banding together and trying to find a way to fight the horrors called forth by the Cognoscenti, who now rule over the remnants of Old Earth with an iron fist. Those who rebel are slaughtered, tossed to feed the non-euclidean daemons summoned by whatever power granted them by the mysterious Iscariot!

It's somewhat of a work in progress, and I'd love to have a core group of [3-5] dedicated people to join me in exploring the lore and helping it evolve and take on a life of its own!

Information!
What kind of roleplay is this, exactly?
Generally, I'd like this to be a roleplay in which there are player characters (you) and a story guide (me, or someone I've selected) in each thread, in order to form a cohesive plot and storyline!

Character Guidelines
I'm not one to dictate what a character should or should not be. However, there are some basic guidelines I feel should be put forth in order to maintain the integrity of what my original vision for Cognoscenti was.

1. Your character can not be directly aligned with Iscariot or the daemons.
Your character CAN, however, identify with them, sympathize with them, agree with them, or take advantage of the chaos. I am not discouraging villains, only preventing others from tying in with the Cognoscenti.

2. In terms of player characters, this is considered 'low-fantasy'.
Your character can not summon the forces of nature to destroy a small army. You can not call forth the thunderstorm, freeze a skyscraper, travel through time.
You can, however, have low-grade supernatural abilities. Basic magic, telekinesis, prescience or minor precognition. If you're not sure about a power / ability, send me a personal message to discuss it. Also, humans only .

That's it!

Combat
Player / Player combat is something I would like to avoid if I can. However, I understand that a lot of you absolutely adore it. Basic [T1] rules apply, as found here, with (and I'm preparing for hate right now) myself or another story guide having the final say on the victor. We will generally try to decide based upon which result would most positively affect the current storyline status.

This sounds really interesting, I would love to join this RP.

Seems like an interesting RP you got here. Sign me up for it as well. If you're still accepting that is.

Back