There wasn't a lot of time when Illya got up to be heading out. His legs hurt badly, enough that he was uneven with his footing. Running with the Nyte Beast was not going to be a great idea today. Illya stared at the ground listlessly. Somewhere he'd lost track of time and even his surroundings until a bowl of food was shoved in front of his face.

Illya took the bowl and he mumbled a thanks as he brought it close to his mouth. Since they didn't have a lot of time he opened his mouth, placed the bowl on his lower lip and drank all the liquid out of the bowl and then used the spoon to scoop glops of the food into his mouth. Illya only shifted the bowl to keep from dumping the contents on himself and closed his mouth long enough to chew the food about half a dozen times and then he'd scoop more in. While he was busily finishing his food Kalizda came by with a canteen and he nodded to her and a gave a grateful grunt. The food was gone in hardly more than 4 minutes and he gingerly got off the log to take the bowl to the wash bin.

Since he was done eating the next most reasonable thing to do would be to go into the woods and use the bathroom. On his way past the log, Illya grabbed the canteen and slung it over his shoulders cross-body style and then limped his way out of sight. By the time he had managed to get out a decent distance from camp and limp his way back he only had time to select his weapon for the hunt. Since distance was going to be his game he selected a spear and it also worked nicely as a walking stick.

Hiking even a few miles into the woods had been a bit difficult, but Illya was determined to finish the hunt. Wincing with almost every step he worked his way over the roots, through shrubs and wound his way between trees. At last the flying portion of the hunters spotted a decent sized Nyte Beast. This meant that they would hopefully be successful with the hunt soon.

Instead of ending the hunt in a semi fast manner, they were set to trudging through the forest for a few more miles yet. However, Illya grinned some when he noticed that they were finally in a clearing and that Tikan was taking Seybard to bait the beast. Illya took the last swig of the tea and he reached for a low hanging branch on a tree near the beginning of the clearing and he pulled himself part way up and then swung a leg onto the branch. Once he was in the tree he cautiously selected each branch to step on to get high enough up that he wouldn't get gored.

Almost ten feet from the ground he felt confident that he was in a good spot and he held the spear ready. They would be coming soon and when they did he would be ready. This time he saw how the hunt should have looked. No stampede, that was nice. The Nyte Beast snorted and ran wildly after Tikan and Seybard. When Tikan and Seybard narrowly swung out of reach the beast pawed at the ground and snorted before it spotted a hunter dangling his leg as a sort of bait. This angered the beast and it charged closer to the clearing. It was still mad and it was charging at almost anything that moved.

Finally, the beast got near enough that Illya knew he had a good shot. Drawing his arm back, Illya took aim and he threw the spear with all his might. It was almost hard enough that he fell out of the tree, but he thankfully caught himself with his other arm. The spear flew straight out of the tree and it pierced the Nyte Beast in the neck and went all the way through. The creature gave out a hideous scream and it ran a few more feet, though it appeared to be dazed more than angry at this point.

A few of the other warriors also threw their spears and the Nyte Beast finally collapsed with heavy gasps before it died. Illya shimmied his way out of the tree and stumbled when he dropped the final three feet to the ground. He was still sore, but he was pleased with the hunt. It was more than worth the trampling he got.

Illya was relieved when they got to camp. He had insisted on taking his turn carrying the carcass of the beast and he could tell. His back was sore and his shoulders were telling him about it too, but he was grinning. "Dat was very good hunt. I like et. Next season I come hunt again and dis time I will nut get trampled eh?"

Sitting down near the carcass he nudged Seybard. "Yah tell meh how yah prepare dah meats and I help yah cut et up and skin et." Once he had the preferred Reylian way of dealing with this kind of animal pelt and meat, Illya began working on skinning it. He was comfortable with all aspects of hunting and while this was the less exciting part, it needed to be done. It was only fair that he took his share of the work if he had his share of fun. After the beast was skinned he began cutting the meat and even took a raw slice for himself and shoved it into his mouth before Kalizda could say anything.

The hunt went well the second day. Both teams of hunters brought back sizeable Nyte Beasts and the real party could start after they were cooking. Teams of hunters rendered the meat in a variety of ways after gutting the animals. The usable organs and fat went into cleaned and cooked intestines for sausages. The loins and rumps went into vegetable stocks to stew in their fats and spices for a long time. The rest of the met was chopped up and set down at a hot burning coal griddle where it was seared with crusted herbs on the outside and left bleeding in the middle.

Calysta walked through the camp stiffly and with every breath, she sucked in the delicious smell of searing meat. It was making her stomach growl with hunger. So much so, that she was very tempted to ask for a half cooked piece. She'd been craving meat for weeks now and it had resulted in some unfortunate stomach issues, so she'd made herself balance out with vegetables. However, tonight, she doubted she could stay away from so much good smelling Nyte beast.

She found Illya helping out at the grilling station now that the meat was all cut. There was a bit of red at the corner of his lips and she knew he'd been sneaking bites. Rather than saying anything, she shuffled over and nudged him. "Is the food almost ready?" she asked. When he told her, she grinned and kissed his cheek. "Aye, I'm going to help out by the pit then."

Calysta stole another glance at her husband. He had been upset this morning still. It wasn't something totally abnormal for him after a rough night, but it did still worry her a little.

It wasnt long before a group of Reylian's along with Mihael and Illya speared the second Nyte beast from snout to rear and set the spit over an open flame. The beast would turn for hours, marinating in its own juices until it was ready to eat. Once some of the food was ready, which consisted of piles of meat in various forms, forest vegetables foraged in the morning, and more than enough to drink, the Reylian's set about the campfire to relax.

Calysta sat and chatted with Tikan for awhile. They hadn't talked much policy and she was fine with that. She knew where the chief stood on most things and she trusted him, which was enough policy as she needed to know or speak about. Tikan felt the same and was content to enjoy the campfire as a break from everything waiting for them at the city.

Illya joined them after a moment, having cleaned up from his work cutting meat. Calysta grinned at him, and the two plates of seared nyte beast on skewers. It was still very raw in the middle and she bit her lip. She wanted to eat the meat immediately, but she would have to cook it a bit longer. She plucked up her skewer and inched closer to the heat of the fire to let it cook longer. Illya seemed to notice and took over trying to cook it longer for her. Normally, she would insist he didn't have to, but she didn't want to fuss over him.

While he roasted the meat for her, she rubbed his back gently and sat close. "I had fun today," she mused, "I could see you from the sky. Your aim was fantastic with the spear in the clearing." He finished roasting up the meat and she thanked him with kiss on the cheek before digging in. Every bite was juicy and salty, heavy with fat and rich. The meat melted in her mouth and she hummed in satisfaction, licking her thumb and forefinger clean. "Mmm...that was good," she hummed to him happily.

By the time she was done eating her second helping, some of the Reylian men were lining up to make bets for fire-leaping. There was a healthy round of bets before each man tried to take a running start to leap over the flames. Tikan patted Illya on the shoulder and got up from his seat, cracking his neck with a stretch on the way to the line up.

Tikan was a bit shorter and stalkier than the other competitors but he took the running charge with the beat of the drummers and made the leap, landing on the other side with a tuck and roll. The Reylian's cheered and the drumming grew a little louder. Akten came up next in the line up. He was taller and more lithe than his father. The chief-sons' dark eyes stayed steady and focused on the task as he took a pause, then launched forward into a run. Akten sailed over the fire and landed into an easy roll on the other side. The Reylian's cheered again and more bets went around the campfire.

Calysta kissed Illya on the cheek and whispered that she was slipping away to use the restroom. That left Wynry with the perfect moment to approach the General with a few questions. She picked up a cup just to have something to do with her hands and sidled over to him. "Hey," she smiled a little, "I heard you did pretty well on the hunt today, yeah?"

The kiss got Illya's attention and he turned slightly and stretched some to return her kiss. "Ok." He watched her leave and then he turned back toward the fire. At this point Wynry slipped over and she smiled at him a bit shyly. "Eh, I do well wit dah spear. I like hunting wit spear. Yah like dah flight on birds?"

Wynry grinned. "Aye. I dont think there's a single kid in Kaereal that doesn't dream of riding a Rey falcon at least once." She sat down next to Illya and took a sip from her cup. "The Reylians have been very good to be around. Especially Akten." Without thinking much, her eyes found the tall, and handsome chief son as he grinned mischievously at Seybard and laughed at something said in Reylian. "You seem to fit well with the Reys."

"I like dah Reys. Dey are like dah Chippequoti en some ways. Oter ways dey are very Kaerelean." Illya looked over at Akten and his eyes shifted to Wynry. "Does dah ways of dah Reys concern yah?"

Wynry encircled the cup in her hand kept her eyes on Akten. "A little. I'm different than a Reylian. I mean we're both Kaerelean but Reys and Kintenintes are different for sure. But you know what that's like, yeah? You married someone very different from your culture."

"What about dem concerns yah?" Illya asked his question too early and he found that she was in turn asking him a sort of rhetorical question. "Yes, I know what et es like. I tink maybe Reys understand Kaerelean customs better den I do. When I first come here dere was a lot of tings tah learn and adjust tah wit meh life. I still dun know how tah do tings en polite Kaerelean fashion most of dah time. I jes watch Kalizda."

Wynry listened and bit her lip some at his question. "Well, they are all very strong and athletic. They focus on the study of war. And they are very noisy sometimes. I'm not really any of those things and I wonder how I might fit in with them."

"Dere are only some ways tah find out dose tings." Illya shrugged some and he looked at Wynry for a long moment, "Why would dat make yah nut fit? I can guarantee yah dat dere are some Reys dat are nut strong and atletic."

Wynry turned a little pink and was glad that it was dark so maybe Illya wouldn't see. "Lets say its one Rey I'd like to fit with but I dont want to weigh him down or not be able to be what he needs. He is in a position of power and that makes things harder."

"I know yah like Atken." Illya smirked and he looked away from her briefly. "Meh Kalizda feels dat way sometimes, but we still find way tah do well."

She looked back at Illya nervously. "How do you manage it when she feels that way?

"Dere are a lot of ways tah handle et. She does some of dah same tings for meh too. Some tings I dun do so well. Sometimes we slow down for each oter, sometimes we jes let dah oter relax and we do our work." Illya was trying to be honest and he knew it was sometimes hard to hear. "Sometimes we dun fit well en each oters work and world, but we lean on dah oter and we learn what we can tah be passable when we must."

Wynry listened carefully and was quiet for a moment before nodding. "Does bring the General make it harder? What if something you have to do as General clashes with your wife?"

"Sometimes being dah General makes et harder." Illya took a deep breath and he thought about the second part of her question. "Well..." He paused and rubbed at his leg where the prosthetic attached. "Ef dere es clash we have understanding. She must do her duty and I must do meh duty and ef dere es little messy problems tah clean up after den dat es what we do."

Wynry frowned pensively and then finally spoke. "What about nights like last night? Akten is a warrior too. What happens when he suffers like that?"

At the mention of the night before Illya clenched his jaw and he stayed quiet for a long moment. "I tink many men dat see battles struggle sometimes. Et fades wit time. Kalizda does well, she es calm and she helps meh wake up. Ef I cannot wake up I have more troubles. Yah will have tah decide ef yah will be ready for dis when Akten es called tah battle."

Wynry worried for a moment. Illya went quiet for a long time and she wondered if she had insulted him. "I didn't mean to offend you if I did. I just knew you would give me an honest answer."

"Yah dun offend meh. Et es jes difficult for meh tah say anyting about et." Illya could feel his heart rate was slightly elevated and he did his best not to sound angry when he spoke. "Dere are many tings dat will be good ef yah choose tah be agreed wit Akten, but yah must be willing tah be vereh strong woman en ways dat maybe yah dun see on surface when yah see Rey women. Dey learn tah live dis way and et es more common. Dis will be hard for yah tah learn."

She felt a little relieved that he wasn't angry, just slightly uncomfortable and she didn't blame him. "It is different. I wanted to go further with some sort of preparation or understanding. Thank you for talking with me Illya."

Illya nodded and he mustered a little smirk. "Yah, jes be mindful en yah choices and yah will be fine." He watched her get up and sneak away again and then he decided to look around for Kalizda. A little distraction would be good. Having a conversation that ended close to those memories was never good.

Calysta wandered back to the fire a few minutes later, moving stiffly but determined not to show it too much. She alighted next to him and smiled. "Did I miss anything?" She asked.

When Kalizda returned Illya winked at her. "Jes meh long song of sorrow for yah absence. I almost cry."

She laughed and leaned on him gently as she giggled. "Well, I suppose I ought to ease your sadness, yeah? C'mere." She slid an arm around the small of back gently and leaned up giving him a few sweet kisses. "That ought to help a little."

Illya felt her hand slip behind the small of his back and he leaned toward her a bit more. Her kisses were gentle and he smiled a bit broader with each kiss. When he looked at her he answered, "I tink dat helps some. Maybe yah like tah tink about some hard work."

She would do just about anything to see him smile like that more. When he mentioned the idea of hard work, she was sorely tempted. She debated on whether she could handle that with her stiff legs. "My legs are a bit sore," she admitted, "But if we were slow and maybe tried laying on our side, it might be nice, yeah?"

At her offer he nodded and moved to stand up. Illya felt his right leg throb and almost give way. "Yah smile makes meh legs weak eh?"

That seemed to be more than enough invitation for him to stand. She started to follow him but she noticed him wobbling a little. Raising a brow, she looked him over. She almost said something but she knew he wouldn't want to be called out in front of the others. Instead, she smiled and slipped her hand to his back again. "Good to know I have that effect on my husband. Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into in the tent."

"I tink we can find plenty of trouble." Snickering he reached out for her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Illya was trying hard to get the end of the conversation with Wynry out of mind and it was working. The idea of having some hard work had quickly taken over. When they got to the tent Illya zipped it shut behind them and began getting undressed. His first tattoo was mostly healed and the second one was starting to look better. The bruises from the trampling were even more obvious than they had been the day before and Illya noticed Kalizda looking at them. "Eh bruises always look worse before dey get better." (edited)

Calysta grinned and walked with him to their tent. It wasn't that she didn't want to party with the Reys, but if she had her choice of listening to Tikan's questionable singing voice belting out naughty drinking songs and Illya whispering sweet things to her, she'd take the latter. Calysta began untying the hunting leathers, there wasn't much to them anyways, and glanced at Illya. His back and shoulder were already bare and while he was taut and muscular, he was also covered in dark circular bruises. Those didn't include the tattoo coverings either. Raising a brow at him she walked over and slid her hand very gently up his chest. Initiating wasn't some she did often because he didn't seem to always like it, but she couldn't help it. She wanted to be close. "Aye, they always do," she whispered, her eyes cutting up at him from under dark lashes. Then she smiled. "The important part is you're here and so am I, yeah?" She backed away some, her hand leaving his chest and sashayed over to their sleeping bag, waiting for him to catch up. (edited)

The hand on his chest and her grey eyes looking up at him were just what he needed. Illya’s smile got bigger and he was about to kiss her, but then she walked off with a little sway to her hips. She knew what she just did and he chuckled. “Yah vereh sneakeh wit yah little tease.” Slipping under the covers with her, Illya whispered in Quoti to her. “Your eyes are grey like the mountain mists, your lashes like the black of night.” Kissing her gently he tried to think of what to say next. “Your skin is white like the lily in bloom and lips like soft earth of the jungle.”

Calysta savored the chuckle Illya gave smiled, pleased with him and herself for having giving him a little seduction. It was an art she was still working on. They slid under the covers and Illya slipped his hands around her like they were always meant to be there. His sweet whispers made her smile and look at him with soft eyes. He always made her feel beautiful. She snuggled up to him, being gently and then cupped his cheek, kissing him thoroughly. "You are the best husband and father I could ask for, you know. My hunter." She chuckled and kissed him with a peck. "My nyte beast rider. My Chip. My Wolf." Each word had its own kiss and she wrapped her arms around him further.

"Oooh es dat so." Illya smiled at her and he rubbed her back with his hands. He could feel her little muscles roll almost like she was trying to push her back further into his hands. "Well, yah got a few tings right for sure. I get best prize for meh hunt. I find little bird en meh tent."

Calysta enjoyed his hands warming her back and curled into them further as she slid her hands over his chest and side. "The little bird is happy to go where the wolf does. In her bed or in the stars. The wolf gets to pick tonight." (edited)

Illya couldn’t help how he processed what she said and he started laughing. “In the stars? Like, you want to sleep in a tree?”

She laughed and rolled her eyes, hugging him closer as she giggled. "I'd go to bed with you in a tree too but even those aren't quite as tall as the stars," chuckled and kissed his cheek.

“I thought your offer was funny. We are a long ways from the ship and the trees are the closest we can get.” Illya smirked and kissed her again.

Calysta was almost reluctant to leave the forest and the hunt. Sure, their warm beds were waiting for them, along with hot showers and their children. She missed those things. What she didn't miss was the public eye on her again. It was going to get even worse too.

She leaned her head back against Illya's shoulder very gently as they rode in the skimmer on the way back to the city. He was warm and it relaxed her to lean against him so long as he would let her.

"When we get back, we've got to see the children, shower, and change clothes," she yawned, "We have that inclusive interview today and I think its going to be a long one."

The hunt had been good and Illya was still a bit sore, but his headache was mostly gone now and the limp was not quite as bad. It would be a few more days, but he would recover well. When they walked to a clearing in the woods a skimmer was waiting for them and Illya climbed into the back. Thankfully the transport skimmers had more space in the seats. His knees still pressed into the back of the seat in front of him, but at least he wasn't squished on both sides of his body to the side of the skimmer.

Even if it was a transport skimmer there was still only enough room for himself, Dane and Kalizda in this row. Illya would have sat in the middle, except that to keep weight a bit more even the pilot had asked that he and Dane sit opposite each other and Kalizda sit in the middle. Though it was not a long ride, Kalizda leaned against him and rested her head on his shoulder. Illya looked down at her and faint smile came to his face.

She was the reason he wanted to see the end of the war. He wanted to spend many years of peaceful living with her. She was a precious woman and so many people didn't know what she had to offer. There were more times he was amazed by her good qualities than dismayed by her less desirable qualities. That was probably a good thing. At that thought he grinned a little broader and he reached over with one hand and massaged the top of her head with his finger tips. "Meh little bird woman. Dah Kalizda."

Her eyes turned up toward him slightly and he winked. "I knew yah liked et when I mess yah hair and massage yah scalp." She smiled in return and he saw her peer out his side of the flyer to see where they were. They were getting close to the village. Then, she reminded him that they had an interview and a few things to do when they landed.

There was more than enough excitement from the children. They were happy to see them and the volume of their voices and shrieks of joy were evidence of it. Illya grabbed each of the kids as they attempted to take turns clobbering him and Kalizda. As he swept them up into his arms he laughed with them and kissed their rosy little cheeks. "Yah meh favorite." Each of them beamed as they each knew they were his favorite. He told them so. Since they were excitable feeling, Illya offered to play some games of chase with them while Kalizda took a shower and he would let the kids spend time with her while he showered. It was one way to make sure the kids got more time with them before they had another obligation that would take them away from the kids.

Even if Illya didn't like it. They had to meet with the reporters again. When he caught Kalizda's gaze he winked and he started into the room with her. As soon as they stepped in he knew he didn't want to be here. It was that reporter. The one that seemed to ask a lot of questions and wasn't easily distracted. Now he was going to have to be on his best behavior. Illya let an easy, but formal sort of smile come to his face. "Eh, so we're back and dah interview continues."

Calysta smiled at Illya and his little wink. Her hand slid into his and she squeezed it as they entered the room. She wasn't look forward to this in the slightest, but it couldn't be delayed any longer. Darya, the older reporter greeted them as they came in and smiled, inviting them to sit. "So it does, General," she smiled, "And alot has happened since our first meeting, yeah?" A tech came around once they were seated and strung them up with mics. He remembered to bring an extra long cable for Illya to clip to his lapel.

Once everyone has settled in, Darya smiled and took a breath. "So, you two seem very well rested after your days on Reylia," she said, "I'm sure that's much needed after the last few weeks. How are you feeling General? I was shocked when I heard of what happened on the colonies and a great many people were concerned for you both." Her tone was honest and sincere as she spoke.

The technician strung a little wire over to where Illya was and it turned out they wanted it under his official uniform so that only the mic would appear. Instead of trying to get around his military jacket, he took the formal jacket off one arm and let the technician drape the little cord over his back and then drop it over the shoulder. Illya slipped his jacket back on and buttoned it. Before placing the mic he made sure all the medals were appropriately positioned and then he reached inside and clipped the mic to his lapel.

"Oh, I almost forget about dat. I feel fine. At time I was little concerned dat dah injury might be more serious. Turns out, a few surgeries, a lot of medicine and rest do dah trick."

Already she was starting with the harder things and Calysta tried not to think about that day too much. It had been more surgeries and pain than Illya let on, of course and she swallowed some.

"Almost forgot about the almost successful attempt on your life?" She said, tilting her head. "Its my understanding from several accounts, that it was a very bloody attack at which the councilwoman was in danger as well."

Naturally, the woman had to be a pain. Illya took a deep breath when she followed up with another question. "Meh...uh, dah councilwoman was en danger, but dah situation was very minimal loss given circumstances. Et es choice I make nut tah tink about dese kinds of tings ef dah situation es contained. Dere are many oter tings dat need tah be remembered, tought of and taken care of. I choose tah put dis memory far away from dah present and future."

Darya gazed at him, her brown eyes perceptive and assessing but not cold. "Perhaps. But the people don't so easily forget some things. An attempt on the Hero of Kinte and the Councilwoman is a historical event. Has the experience on the colonies affected how you have conducted the rest of the tour?"

Her questions were probing to say the least. Illya squeezed Kalizda’s hand gently before he continued. “Et was tragic event for dah colonies and Dey display hardy spirit and courage tah continue. Mehself and dah security team still take all precautions. We are more strict wit some tings den we start. We always make adjustments as situation demands.”

The media woman smiled and nodded. "Aye, I imagine so. Many of the people agree that this was a tragic event but see the people of the Terran Colonies are willing to operate independently of their former home." She turned to Calysta some. "Tell me about that day, Councilwoman. Eyewitnesses of the event told me you refused to leave the scene and stayed with the injured, yeah?"

Calysta nodded some, her hand clasping Illya's tighter. "Aye, I did. It was a very long and bloody day. The one of the leaders of the Terran Colonies fell along with several civilians and their grief matched my own for the lives lost that day. They are a resilient and committed to their course though and I find it admirable. It was still an honor to have met with them and speak with their people."

"You speak very highly of the leaders and the people of the Terran colonies, is there any thought on their request to formally join the Alliance?" She asked.

Calysta looked at Darya. "I'm sure that in time they will have the opportunity. They are good people willing to stand as their own society, apart from their home planet. I'd like to think our experience together and willingness to work together makes us stronger. That is my personal opinion, of course, and the Council as a whole votes on those matters."

Darya shifted her knees, placing one over the other and took a sip of her water cup. "You went to Uria after that, yeah? A much more relaxed atmosphere. Councilwoman Sarai was very pleased to host you from my reports. Was that your first visit to the City Under the Waves?"

The next question was thankfully for Kalizda and Illya gladly let her answer. He mistakenly assumed the last question was directed at her too and took the silent moment to glance around the room. After it was silent for longer than normal he noticed that the question was his to answer. “Oh, eh yes et was meh first time to dah underwater city.”

Darya smiled and nodded. "I thought it was quite beautiful the first time I went, though my accommodations were not as spectacular. Now, I'm aware that you attended several parties there and several reports have told me there was a little problem with the pool and the infamous Urian Love Oils at your welcoming party that resulted in a very good time for all involved. Those at the party were calling it the Sexy Soiree the day after. What can you tell me about that incident?"

Illya couldn’t help the grin that came to his face when he realized just what the woman was asking. She wanted to know who was responsible or if they at least enjoyed it. “Eh, I was nut aware of dah pool being tainted wit dah oils when I get en et wit meh Kalizda. Dah incident was well enjoyed by all.”

Calysta's cheeks heated up when Illya grinned and told the woman the incident was well enjoyed by everyone, including them. It was true, but it didn't make her any less sheepish. She was just glad that question hadn't been directed at her.

Darya chuckled good-naturedly with them. "Oh my. Well, it certainly will be remembered. You both left quite an impression on Uria. Of course, there have been dozens of articles highlighting the loving and healthy relationship too. There are a few rumors going around by those watching the tour closely that the two of you have been keeping a little secret."

Darya pulled out a hologram coin and turned it on showing an image of Calysta holding her stomach absent mindedly on Ewen in the tight dress she wore to the water dance. The dress was tight and gave the barest hint of a belly pouch, but not much.

"A few people seem to think you're not just on the tour but you 'very gotten yourself a tag along. Is there any news you'd Iike to share with me about the rumor that you're pregnant?"

Calysta choked a little and her eyes went wide, unable to hide her response to the question.

The woman took the entire conversation straight from the party to something personal again. She was good at keeping things moving and putting in a few fast moves. Kalizda seemed to be too shocked to respond.

Illya figured this was his question to take. At least for the start. “Eh, we do have good relationship. We have many secrets between dah two of us. Yah note her belly might be one secret eh?” A wiley sort of grin plastered itself to his face and he laid his hand on her stomach. “Chippequoti have sensors en dere palms dat can feel many tings. I tell yah dat I feel…meat. Dere was lot of meat consumed on hunt and eh, oh dere et es. One, two eh….” Illya paused and glanced at her face. It was becoming obvious she was pregnant and this was probably as safe a place as any to say it. He waited till he thought her facial expression was one giving him permission to say and then he continued. “Jes a moment.” Illya moved his hand lightly across her stomach. “Dere et es, tree. Dere are tree babies.”

Calysta's face heated as Illya put his hand over her belly with the smallest of bumps. He was looking at her for permission as he spoke and she wanted to giggle a little at his joke when he felt for his babies. Now was as good a time as any. It would come out soon enough and at least there wouldn't be rumors she was fat. She gave him the smallest if nods and he counted out their three babies with pride enough she smiled too.

Darya looked pleased and shocked at the same time. "Three? Why that's incredible. You're the only woman with your heritage to ever successfully bear children, much less so many."

Calysta nodded. "Aye I've heard that fact before. What can I say, I'm very lucky to have them and a husband who loves me and our children very much."

" This makes 7 children I believe? Its quite amazing actually. You're a very proud Papa, I see general. You're pleased to be a father seven times over?" She asked. "Does that make you nervous at all?"

“Eh, I am fater eight time over. Our first we adopt and she will be agreed soon.” As for the part about the triplets and being nervous Illya wasn’t sure how to answer. “I tink I am nervous because twins are very busy and still young. I would nut change dis. Dah Kalizda woman and our babies are everyting to meh.”

Calysta smiled at Illya, her eyes staring up at him with the sweet admiring look and pride as he spoke. She put a hand over his which sat atop her belly and gave it a gentle squeeze trying to tell him everything she could in such a simple gesture.

"Aye. The twins are young, but we'll take care of them and each other. I have full faith in that," Calysta said, her voice soft.

Darya smiled, watching the two of them. "My sincerest congratulations to you both. Now. Your oldest will be agreed, I understand that is the term for marriage, yeah? That will be quite an event as well." She brought out her pad and glanced at her notes. "Are your grandparents aware of your pregnancy?"

Calysta's head snapped away from meeting Illya's gaze and settled on the woman. "No," she said almost too firmly before letting out a breath, "No, I don't talk to them beyond what was necessary."

Darya nodded and pressed another button on the hologram coin. This one showed Illya carrying her over the railing of their box seats at the water dancing show, dropping them both to the ground with a loud thud and walking to the stage. "You said all you needed to say in this moment? The claims you made and all? Do you know that they are claiming you orchestrated the entire show?"

"Aye," Calysta said, "I know what they say."

It wasn’t any easier with an interview that was so heavily focused on Kalizda. Somehow it was just as stressful for Illya to watch his agreed be watched and questioned. He was proud that she was calm and collected. Illya listened to the meek response from Kalizda toward the end. She was tired and more easily worn out right now. His eyes blazed and he added, “Dey lie. Et was nut orchestrated by anyone oter den demselves and dere supporters. Tah tink dey would dey would make such extravagant show of dere distaste es sickening. Den, when dey see dere disgusting ideals are nut well received dey would blame et on dah one dey try tah victimize. No, dis es someting dey must see trough tah dah end. Dey will have dere consequences.”

Calysta listened to Illya make a better reply than she could manage in the moment with her heart crawling into her throat along with a few not so kind words about her kin. Swallowing the lump in her throat down, she nodded. "They can say that but it doesn't make it true. I wouldn't do such a thing, no matter how I felt. I hold myself to a higher standard than the one they set for themselves. As for their consequences, they will be charged and tried through the judicial system like anyone else in their situation, not according to their perceived station."

Darya's eyebrow rose some as she listened to the staunch replies. "Does it give you any sort of satisfaction that justice will be served on them for their alleged actions? So many years later? And from family no less? Do you have any hesitation because they are your grandparents?"

Calysta lifted her chin. "The only thing I find satisfying about the entire history with the kin who are technically my biological grandparents, is that I am now able to help heal the rift caused by their hate and prejudice. To bring us together better as a people. Yes, Miss Darya, I find that part very satisfying. And as to the question about my integrity, the answer is no. I have no hesitation because it was the correct call, family or not. My grandmother and grandfather are a wonderful, kind and wise couple that talked to me, comforted me, guided me, and took care of me when I needed it. They are not the two that are sitting in cells right now. They are Chip and I am their granddaughter. Proudly so."

Her throat was tight and she knew her voice would start wavering if she didn't stop talking. Part of it was pregnancy hormones and part of it really was her raw emotions she had stuff away.

The woman had seemed to be quite content to keep her miserable little game going and Illya wasn't about to let that keep on going. Catching the woman's gaze he decided to pose a question of his own. "Es et considered polite or professional for yah kind tah pester dose dat meet wit yah? Why yah ask questions dat are well meaning and den change subject witout any kind of indication? Dis kind of change makes yah interview seem more like combative style den real interview."

Darya met Illya's angry gaze with gentle coolness. "It is not a battle," she said, "I'm here to ask important questions. Hard but very real. What I write will be honest and true what I see here today. No spin. But that means I'm going to dig, not for the simple answers but for the ones that matter."

"Den yah ask questions and yah dun do anymore of dis back and fort ting. Yah keep questions en orderly fashion where dey build. I dun like answering questions about meh children and den yah suddenly decide tah ask about Ewen. Try putting tings en a decent order." Her organization was lacking at best and as a General he had come to expect some kind of presentation of fact or questions that he could follow instead of some nilly willy way of doing things.

Darya didn't respond to Illya's heat. It was a natural reaction to be defensive over tough questions. Her questions we perfectly orderly and logical trains and they were brought up precisely when she wanted them to be. The fact that they admitted to being pregnant had been a good bit of information too. "I will ask my questions," she said very neutrally, " And naturally, my next question is, these grandparents you speak of, would you be willing to tell me more. The council woman speaks very highly of them."

After he confronted her the woman seemed to decide that she could finally do things in an orderly fashion and Illya settled into his seat a little further. To say he felt annoyed was an understatement. However, he would do his best to behave from here on out. "She speaks of parents of meh moter. Dey are very kind and patient. I seek dem for advice en difficult situations and dey do dere best to help meh wit many civil issues dat are presented to meh as Emperor and fater."

Darya smiled genuinely and nodded. "They sound like wonderful people. We're they the same that joined you at the hospital on Kinte?"

Calysta nodded. "Yes, they were. I was honored to have them with me."

Darya nodded again and sat back into her chair further. "And they must give excellent advice. Do the pressures of being emperor, general, husband and father ever feel like too much?"

Illya let Darya and Kalizda continue talking for a moment until the questions were turned toward him again. "Emperor es challenging since I am not as well versed en et as I am en meh oter roles. Dis es where I rely heavily on dah Chippequoti council for advice and dere expertise in civil matters. I have been a General for a long time and meh role now as General of all dah Chippequoti forces es difficult at times, but et es nut unfamiliar to meh. Tah be husband and fater makes meh oter positions among meh people and dah alliance easier tah complete. Dere es always someting good at dah end of meh day. Et es nut too much. I train for all dese tings since I was boy."

Darya nodded at the answer. "So being both general and Emperor is a process that begins in childhood? Do you believe that helped make you a good leader? Its very different from the Councilwoman's own experience and training for her own postion."

"En meh case et was necessary. A man does nut suddenly become dah General witout experience and respect of dah Chipequoti. Emperor es also dah General of dah Chippequoti and et will always be dat way. Dis es jes how Chippequoti do et. Kalizda's role es nut required so much military background and she has studied and shown herself very capable of dah duties related tah her role."

Darya listens to the explanation and nods to Calysta in recognition. "Many people would say you've done well. How do you feel about your work? Do you miss your captaining days?"

Calysta smiled and laughed a little in true bemusement. "Miss my captaining days? I'm captain of my Silver Mountain. I never stopped being a captain, yeah? I think I have done the best I can to bring us together and done my work with diligence, patience, compassion and ferocity. I will continue to serve all of our peoples that way."

Darya stared at them for a moment then took another sip of her water. "Before I conclude, is there anything the two of you would like to add?"

Illya almost breathed a sight of relief when the woman said she was going to conclude. "I dun have anyting tah add." He was pretty sure Kalizda wouldn't either. This interview as a whole was slightly more offensive in parts, but it was also easier than the last one in some ways. He just hoped he wouldn't have to see this woman too often. If he'd seen her twice he was probably going to see her again.

Calysta could hardly wait to get out of the room, but she knew a final statement would be needed and expected. "Aye," she said, "That regardless of what has happened thus far, my hope and work remains the same. This tour is to bring us closer and stronger and nothing will change that mission."

Darya smiled and let the two leaders leave without comment. Once they were outside, Calysta took a deep breath in and out a few times. "Wilds, that never gets any easier."

Illya took Kalizda back to Tikan's house and the two of them relaxed the remainder of the day in the garden with the kids. The twins were quite pleased to toddle about for nearly half an hour, but they insisted on taking their naps on him. Illya ended up with one boy tucked under each arm while he laid out in the grass and Lohgan carefully wove a little wildflower crown for Kalizda and then put the extra flowers and stems in Illya's hair.

Cypher was working hard at practicing with his toy sword and Rose was enjoying the privilege of her pad being returned. It was a mostly quiet afternoon and it was something Illya was thankful for. At least he didn't have to do anything today. Tomorrow he would begin practicing with Saar, Dane and Mihael for a sword dance on the poles. It would be a challenging set up and they would make the final performance with their real swords and like usual a flaw could be quite dangerous.

The next several days were uneventful aside from a few new bruises he obtained from his vigorous practicing with the other men. It would be a short performance and they stuck to more simplistic foot movement so as to make up the difference in the complexity of the ground they would be performing the dance from.

There was also the fact that the Chippequoti council had begun sending him potential candidates he would have to select to do a private interview with. Edgar sent a polite message simply stating that it was his duty to present for the Chippequoti as their emperor and as a delegate. Since he was now fully recovered from his injuries there were not anymore polite reasons to continue refusing the requests for a private interview. Illya looked over the selections and declined all except one. If he had to do a private interview on Reylia he wouldn't do anymore than he had to. The bonus of selecting the man he did to do the interview was that he was well qualified and they would have to stay 2-3 days longer in Reylia.

With the extra days Illya also had time to relax and take the kids into the edge of the jungle for a little exploration. The edge of the jungle explorations were greatly enjoyed and they caught several small animals for the kids to play with. Illya's favorite animal they caught was a black cat kit. As a kit the animal wasn't so bad, but Illya knew they couldn't keep it. He'd seen the size of the creature and he didn't want it to decide that his children were snacks or that the dogs were good to eat. That would be disastrous. Instead they settled with play, exploration and lots of picnics as a family.

Illya made sure Kalizda was able to join them as much as possible and he frequently glanced at her with a smile in his eyes and on his lips. She was beautiful and he wanted her to know that he loved her. Just having a little time to explore like this with the kids made the tour worth it.

The afternoon came that Illya had been dreading for the last several days. He hadn't though about it except when he had too much time on his hands. He had scheduled the interview for shortly after dinner. There wasn't a great time to do it, but this way he could still have the afternoon with the kids, have dinner with the family and be back in time to tuck them into bed.

Illya stood in front of the mirror in his and Kalizda's room to be sure there were no wrinkles on his uniform and he straightened one of the medals and then put the beret on. He was ready for the interview now. He could see Kalizda behind him when he looked in the mirror. She always had a strange sort of look on her face when he wore this uniform. It was hard to tell if she liked the uniform, or found it upsetting. Perhaps he didn't want to know and so he chose not to ask. When he was ready he turned away from the mirror and he nodded to Kalizda and bent over to kiss her from where she sat on the edge of her bed. "Et's jes interview. I will be back soon."

Walking down the stairs of the house Illya stepped into the hall and toward Tikan's office. He wasn't sure he was ready for this. He'd never had a friendly sort of talk with a foreigner in this kind of setting. Pausing at the door he took a deep breath and then turned the nob. It looked like the reporter had already been in the room and got things set up. While Illya was still looking around the room he heard the door creak behind him and he turned around.

A young man with very dark hair and lighter eyes, entered Tikan's well outfitfed office in a well tailored Kaerelean style suit. His skin was a lightly toasted color and his smile was easy as he saw Illya standing by. Without hesitation, he walked over and nodded, offering his hand. "Emperor Illya Blackwolf," he said, "I'm glad to have the chance to meet you. I'm Owyen Irling, journalist from the Kaerelean post."

There wasn't going to be any benefit of getting settled in. Almost immediately the young man came forward and offered his hand. That was the one thing that he knew for security sake he would not do and for Kalizda. She felt it was a considerable security risk and he agreed with her on that. "Hi." Illya greeted the man in return and kept both his hands at his sides. "Yah look well prepared. Shall we set?" Illya beckoned to the chairs that were set for the interview.

Owyen nodded his head and retracted his hand. "Alright," he said, "Aye let's sit then." He made a motion for them both to sit down in the provided wicker style chairs. Sitting down, he unbuttons the top of his suit jacket to loosen the fit and arranged his hologram coin as Illya sits down. "I've provided a copy of my creditionals for review before our meeting, but I would list them if you'd like. Your council was confident in my previous work."

Sitting in wicker chairs did take a bit of a delicate seating job to keep it from creaking or breaking. Illya would hate that to be part of the interview. Once he was seated he only straightened the bottom of his uniform dress jacket. "Dah council recommends yah highly for interview. I read yah credentials mehself, but I tink et es always good practice tah list dem anyway. I listen. Yah tell meh yah credentials." Interviews were usually timed and he was hoping that this was one way to burn a few more minutes.

Owyen laced his fingers and propped his elbows on his chair in a relaxed posture. "Graduated from the University, top of my class for Journalism and Multi-Media. I was hired as an Investigative Journalist for The Kaerelean Post for the last four years. I have written several articles on the War, specifically" on the Battle of Kinte, and several Battles on the Terran front two of which I've won the highest honorary awards for my publications on the war as a whole." He listed everything out in short order and looked at Illya with a relaxed expression. "So, I have a great interest in meeting you and to listen. The first thing I would like to do, is honestly, I'd like to satisfy a little personal curiosity I've had. How did you come by the name Blackwolf?"

The reminder on the man's qualifications reminded Illya of why he chose to say yes to this interview above some of the others. While he didn't like to talk about the war it would probably get him away from answering too many personal questions. Of course that idea was quickly squashed when the man decided to be curious. Illya raised one eyebrow and then smirked. "Because, I play wit pups of black wolf when I was jes barely old enough tah walk. I wander away from meh moter and disappear ento dah forest. Dah wolf es first animal I show interest en as child. Dis es how Chippequoti get part of dere name dat includes animal en et." All things considered the question could have been far worse and this wasn't too bad so far.

He nodded and smiled a little. "I didn't know that's how Chippeqouti named their children. It's quite interesting, actually. I'm sure you gave your parents a scare, eh? What was it like growing up? The Chippeqouti live in fairly tight knit communities from what I've seen and the war is the fruit of a much longer conflict. You would have grown up, partially during that time. What was it like growing up for you?"

All the words that came out of the man's next just slimed and slithered their way out. The man's interest in his childhood was frustrating at the very least. Illya set his jaw for a moment and thought about how to answer this and not appear to leave a lot more for the man to be interested in. Nodding his head Illya agreed with the man that it gave his parents a scare and then he started on his answer. "I tink I grow up like many oter children. I like tah play games and I dun know anyting about dah war when I was very young."

The general seemed bound and determined to make this as hard as possible. He'd left the questions fairly open ended to give the man a chance to talk. Apparently, he'd rather not. That was too bad. "What sort of games did you play? I enjoyed flyer games and magball but I imagine those are different for Chippeqouti children."

Now the man wanted to know about games and Illya tilted his head slightly. "I enjoy games of hunting. I like tah catch snakes when I am old enough tah catch little snakes. Dey were very good tah eat and ef I catch dem meh moter or sister would make snake stew for meh." Since the man had taken time to be curious about his childhood Illya decided to ask a question of his own. "Yah have strange way of learning about war by asking meh about childhood. Why would yah ask dese questions?"

Owyen listened with interest and kept his gaze on the general. "That's a fair question," he said, "The truth is I was selected because I do have good credentials and I am very familiar with the War, as much as anyone can be to a certain point. You have been involved with the war for most of your life. I was a natural choice for this assignment. However, my assignment is not to write a piece on the War, but to write an honest and fair piece on you Emperor. You are more than this war. So, I'm asking because I want to understand somethings about you."

Since the man's assignment was clear it made more sense and Illya found himself feeling a little flustered. He could talk about the war more easily than he could himself in relation to it. The man wanted a piece on him and they chose him because they thought he would be the best to get around the thick layers. "I respect yah honesty. I dun usually do private interviews. Meh life es nut easily separated from war. I am product of war, raised for war, live en war and et es nut uncommon tought among meh people dat I will die en war. Et es likely end of meh duty."

He listened to Illya's response and continued to gaze at him, then let the words sink in before replying. "I understand you have never done a private interview and given your past as described that it the war has shaped you in many ways. But you said so yourself that when you were younger you didn't know so much about the war until your were a little older. So I ask, what was your family like? You have a sister, yeah?"

"Meh family was normal. I am young and I wait for meh fater tah come home, meh moter was loving and she tries tah protect meh from knowing too much, meh sister es older and she too does her best tah protect meh from knowing dah war before meh time." Illya shrugged. "I am nut sure how else a family would be en times of war. I come tah understand meh fater's absence es his duty and dat one day I would have same duty."

"Your family tried to protect you from knowing too much," he nodded, "At what point did you start realizing that you were in war times. Was there a singular moment when you realized that there was war or was it gradual? Small things?"

"Et was some small tings over time. I know dat I was en war mostly when meh fater come home one day and he es injured. He would be home for few weeks and den he tell meh dat when I get older he would begin tah teach meh. I was too young nut tah know any better and I was very eager tah begin learning." Illya almost cringed at the memory. "He would take meh when I am eight tah war camp near front lines of battle."

Owyen's brow furrowed slightly at Illya's reply and he blinked a little before continuing. "Eight is young. Very young. I was much older before I witnessed life on the front lines. Is it customary for someone to be exposed so young?

The man seemed surprised and Illya listened to his questions. "No, et es nut so common tah be dis young. Most will nut see front lines camp until dey are about 15. Some will begin making small drills wit men when dey are 12. Dis es more common practice. Dah Chippequoti must be careful tah allow education of dah children before dey begin tah apprentice."

Owyen's thought about the information he was given by Illya and raised a curious brow. "So why were you shown the front lines so young?

"I dun know why meh fater makes dis decision." Illya answered honestly as he could. There were plenty of reasons his father should not have, but something must have made Markus believe it was the right thing to do.

He seemed to answer honestly and so he didn't press the subject more on that front. "You said children start training for their careers around 12, correct? What did your training consist of at that age? Did you gave peers with you in training?"

"When I am 12 meh fater takes meh more often tah front lines and he begin teaching meh tah shoot, and explains importance of officer and soldier's duties to meh. Sometime I am courier for meh fater when I am 12. Dere nut many boys when I begin training. I become soldier at 15 and den I meet many oters dat also become soldiers."

Owyen listened and then took a small sip of water from the cup placed by the chairs on a stone table. "And at such a young age, already working, what did you do for free time?"

The man probably did some research on the Chippequoti and so Illya did not think that the next answer would surprise him. "I begin building a home so dat I could stand at ceremony when I am seventeen and become agreed."

Owyen tilted his head in recognition of the concept. "And that ceremony takes place at age 17, correct? So by age 15 you were essentially considered a man."

"I am man enough tah apprentice and build home. I am nut considered well accomplished en meh work until I am older." Illya figured that would be obvious. "Yah nut considered of age as man until yah 17. At 15 yah are nut well versed enough tah be man, but yah live like a man and learn tah be man."

"I see. Hmm.." he said, before pausing to let the words sink in, "And you participated in the Standing Ceremony at age 17, yeah? I'm guessing that means you must have had a spouse...an agreed...before your current wife?"

It was not necessarily common knowledge that he had an agreed before Kalizda, but Illya knew it would be a question that would eventually be asked. Surely no one would believe that he would remain single all these years. He certainly wouldn't if he was in the interviewer's position. "Yes, I had agreed before Kalizda. Poisons from dah war killed meh first agreed. She was good woman and I loved her."

His eyes cast downward some before he looked up into Illya's eyes. "I am sorry for your loss," he said sincerely and quietly, "It isn't easy to lose someone you care about." Leaning back in his chair some, he gave Illya a moment and then continued. "In between this time you made it to Elite status in the military, can you tell me more about that?"

The sincerity and quiet response from the interviewer was respectful. Illya suspected the man had a personal loss himself, but it would not be appropriate to say so. Instead he steeled himself for the next question. "I train for Elite and was youngest member accepted to dis point. Meh election for training for Elite was requested after successful campaign I was en charge of. I was between age of twenty-five and tirty when I earn meh position among dem." With a small shrug he commented, "Et was long time ago. Pecking an exact time es little messy. Chippequoti calendar and Kaerelean calendar are different. I jes peck time frame and et's easier."

Owyen listened intently, remaining quiet until Illya finished his statement. "Being long-lived, 25 to 30 is still very young by comparison. May I ask what campaign you lead?"

The next question from Owyen seemed to be a natural follow up. It was also a question that Illya could not answer in its entirety. "Et es nut campaign yah people have reference for. Yah know where Old Quoti es because of recent battle. Yah may know dat Chippequoti were divided. Particularly dat dah Chippequoti I come from traveled far. Meh campaign was tah conceal planet dat es far out of Kaerelean territory. Dis es all dat I can say."

There were only certain things a man in the military could say. He knew that from the nature of his work. Sometimes it wasn't always a power play. Their silence was protecting innocent lives at times and not covering something devious. He could usually tell the former from the latter and this was the former of the two. Especially if he was in charge of protecting a planet of innocents in the war. It was, of course, an assumption that the people of this hidden planet were innocent but he knew better than to press. He would save his pressure for other topics if it was needed. Owyen nodded some and continued with his questions. "Is one of those medals on your uniform a testament to that service? And what was your entry into the elite like? How did you ride in rank from there?"

They were getting to the kinds of questions that Illya had anticipated after he found out what the man was actually here to talk about. This was the kind of interview Illya feared and knew he would be subject to if he traveled more broadly. "Yes, dere es medal on meh uniform for dah service performed en dat campaign." He carefully laid a finger on the medal with a small Quoti symbol for courage and a red ribbon. "Dah entry ento Elite was difficult. Et es never easy. Elite only gain rank for service, courage, skill and good leadership. I worked very hard on dese tings and I was given many difficult missions."

Owyen looked at the medal Illya indicated, memorizing it and listened before asking his next question. "Aye. Which was the most difficult medal to earn out of the many you have? Was this an Elite Mission as well?"

Illya tried not to show it on his face, but he was starting to feel concerned that the man wanted to know about each and every medal on his uniform. It was also shocking to see that he wasn't done yet. Just thinking about what each medal was made for gave Illya pause. He frowned without even realizing it and he stared at the wall behind the man. There wasn't even a glance at the medals. Illya realized he had zoned out after a moment and his gaze shifted back to the reporter. "Dere es medal from Elite Mission dat es most difficult. Medal for perseverance en face of deat." Illya briefly motioned to the medal with a green ribbon that had three red stripes in it and a simple gold leaf at the top.

He was patient. His questions weren't easy and he knew it but they were necessary in some ways. Illya went quiet and his eyes went vacant for awhile. He was present but not all there. It was a familiar look he'd seen in soldiers before. Owyen kept his voice low and quiet. "How did you earn that one?"

Momentarily it was quiet and then the man almost whispered the next question. Illya's eyes shot over to him and looked him over a few times before he said anything. "I was sent wit men tah protect a city dat was under siege. Dere was no air support for several hours. We must hold dah city, protect dah people remaining and fight dah enemy. When air support arrives et es too late for many of dah people," Illya's eyes got distant again and he almost mumbled as he spoke, "Dere were too many for medical evacuation...We tried tah help get dah children dere first." Shaking his head Illya glanced at the man again. "I dun talk about anymore medals."

Owyen listened and at the request, he could feel that the man had severe PTSD. It made sense. He nodded in agreement and moved on. "Aye. Lets talk about something different. We all know, for the most part how you met your current wife. You two ha very been married for 12 years now, if I recall. It marks the entry of the Alliance into the war against the Federation. At which point your people had been driven to a remote desert planet and facing genocide. When you met her can you tell me what that was like?"

"She was very difficult woman. I know dat she was nut Federation, she looked scared and she was injured from her terrible landing." Illya grinned at that part. "Dere es chance ef someone else found her first she would nut live. Many times dose dat landed were Federation. So, I take responsibility for her and I write her debt en meh book. She still gets upset about dat. She also shot meh. She was better aim den I tink she would be." Taking a deep breath he paused for a second and then grinned a bit wider, "I would say et was good day."

Owyen chuckled a little. The man had clear affection for his wife something all the articles and interviews say but a hologram can only show so much. Illya was genuine in his thoughts regard his wife. "A good day," Owyen concluded with Illya, chuckling quietly, "I imagine it was hard to trust someone even if you knew they weren't from the Federation? My understanding is it wasn't until roughly two months after her marked crash that you returned to Qouti? What happened during that time? Why the turn around?"

Illya thought for a long moment. He was a little foggy there, but he remembered most of it. “Eh, I need tah trust her first before I can ask for help tah get meh people out of Quoti. When I trust her and she makes decisions tah help I know dat I will agree wit her ef she would have meh.”

Owyn watched the man think and the answer didn't really answer the question. He didn't press though. He was aware of some of the man's injuries. "That seems to be the case. You two have many children together. Some people don't believe they are all your wife's children. Your wife is part Terran and part Kaerelean by way of Ewen. Did the fact that she was part Terran ever give you any concern? The Terran planet has wavered back and forth before eventually falling to the Federation. You yourself have expressed some unfavorable comments regarding Terrans as well." He spoke evenly and without accusation.

The statement was certainly one that Illya knew wasn’t meant to be bad, but it wasn’t favorable either. “Yes, I say tings about Terran’s dat are bad. Typically, dis es trait meh agreed does nut appreciate. Because she shows herself trust worty and her fater too, I am nut botered by her blood. A person makes choice, nut dere blood. Et es someting I work tah act on more.” Illya didn’t know that his answer was great, but it was honest. “I eh, have many bad experiences wit Terrans and oter races during war and et fuels many bad tings I have said. Et es work en progress. Ef I hope tah survive war I need tah clean up eh?”

Illya spoke and he was glad the man didn't deny his words. He had come prepared with holograms to show if he had, not because he wanted to be rude, but to show that he was confident in his assertions. He nodded and continued. "You and I are both familiar with war, you with a more intimate knowledge that myself. I'm not a soldier. I've read some of the accounts of things that have transpired against the Chippeqouti. They are considered deep war crimes by the Alliance. Deaths of women and children among the issues. A an anonymous whistler blower on Terra some years ago did an expose on some of your own actions. What are your thoughts on that? I have the recordings if you need your memory refreshed. I understand that these accusations were made long ago."

Illya had to think about the offer. He hated to see those things played again, but neither did he want to open a new set of issues by insinuating or letting on how many complaints there had been about him during the war. “I like yah be clear when I answer any accusations. Yah play recording so dat I can give appropriate answers.”

Orwyen nodded. "Of course. One moment." He reached over and clicked a button on the hologram coin, then flipped through the digital display until he found an exhibition list, then pressed play. A voice started to read the article and display the images in the original message for the General. "What, if anything, would you like to say to the statements made by the whistle-blower known only as The Mouse?"

Illya watched the report play again and he took a deep breath. “I believe dat dere es plenty said by her source. The old woman named Taggert made bold claims. I am sure yah recall dat Federation killed the reporter and den blamed meh.” Illya hated to say anything, but it was his chance to set the record straight. “I imagine dat dere are copies still of dis interview wit Taggert. She was only child at time and did nut know dat all adults at dis party she speaks of was gatering of many Federation officers and supporters. Dis was operation designed tah provide maximum damage tah Federation wit minimal toll on civilians.”

He let Illya take his time without pressure and listened to his response when it came. Tilting his head. "And this was done on Terra? Was there any contact with the Terran authorities in this operation? Or at all?" His tone was still even and calm.

“Dah Federation was dah autority. Dey buy dah influence of leaders. Remember, even yah own council on Kaereal was affected. Et was conducted as et had tah be.” Illya met the man’s gaze. “Dere es no apology for what was done. Et was necessary.”

Owyen kept his on Illya's and clicked the hologram coin off, keeping the silence for a moment, then nodded. "There have also been some other accusations from other Federation sources about actions taken against prisoners of war on Qouti some years ago as well. Several hundred dead by your hand. That's not surprising in war, times but what, if anything would you like to say about those accusations?"

Illya clenched his jaw and he kept silent for nearly a minute. When he spoke he tried not to growl at the man. “I did what oters lacked stomach tah do. We take prisoners for bargaining and en time when soldiers would surrender we find dat dey did so because dey have poisons. Meh first born and meh agreed were among dose poisoned by prisoner. We provided homes, cloting, food, and dah prisoners work. Better conditions den dey ever offer. We assume dey surrender for dis rater den die. So dey begin tah kill meh people by way of treachery.” Illya took another deep breath. “When I discover dis et was too late for meh first family, but yes, I kill dem all and issue order of no quarter moving forward. We are pushed en smaller space and no room for prisoners wit time.”

Owyen was patient as ever and listened. While he knew he couldn't betray any strong emotion, at the risk of being found to be biased, anyone who was not feeling some sort of emotion didn't have a heart. He let the pause continue, allowing the words to settle in and the immediate reaction to fade some before he broke the silence. "I see," he said, "You have lost a great many things in this war, Emperor. I dont know of anyone who can entirely heal from the loss of a spouse, much less a child." He cleared his throat some and took a sip of water, before catching Illya's eyes again. "And the family that you have now. How did those events affect your second agreement?"

Illya wasn’t sure that this interview was a grand thing, but the council insisted and he was doing his best to be honest and put his best foot forward. “I am more protective and less trusting of dah good will of oters. Meh family are what I live for and dah only reason I see tah try and improve mehself.”

He didn't doubt the man's honesty. If he has come in touting himself as the brave General or admitted no faults, he wouldn't have been as gentle in the questions as he was now. "Something I think most people can understand," he nodded in agreement, " You've been through several hard times with your wife and children in the last several years. You've had a very traumatic head injury and nearly died again in the Battle of Kinte. Is it your family that got you through those times? Is there anything you would like them to know?

Illya frowned at first and then chuckled. “I jes wondered what yah intent was for moment. Almost sounds like yah want last words.” It was in fact a chuckle partly out of relief. “Meh family and all our children help meh in dose times. I jes want dem tah know dat I love dem. Noting fancy. I ‘em nut fancy person.”

Owyen chuckled good naturedly a little. "I'm not quite that morbid, yeah?" He nods at Illya's words for his family, smiling some. "You've said you hoped to live through the war. What are your hopes for after the war? What do you see for yourself and your family?"

Now that they were talking about better things Illya relaxed more. “I will take meh family tah see meh home soon as dah war es done. Dah place I was born and I dun see for more den 100 years. Dat es what I do when war es over.”

The man spoke about his home and not having seen it over a 100 years, but that didn't align with any time line he knew. Frowning a little he titled his head. "Home to Old Qouti? I didn't think any of your people had returned there since the split? You haven't been off of Qouti enough not to have been there for 100 years."

Illya shrugged. “Meh home es undisclosed location. Chippequoti dun speak name or location until dah end of dah war.”

Owyen considered Illya for a moment then accepted the answer and moved forward. "I would like to talk a little bit about the tour. What have been your impressions of the Alliance been during the tour? Had anything surprised you? Changed your opinion? Or confirmed your thoughts?"

Illya found these questions easy and he was a bit better rehearsed in his answers. “I find dah Alliance strange and pleasing. At first I ‘em nut so sure dis would be stable place wit so many peoples. I find many toughts I have before coming here challenged. I tink highly of dah Alliance and now dey are meh people too and I have another home. Meh oter home es here wit all meh peoples.”

He smiled just a little. It was a well rehearsed reply. "And what sort of thoughts did you have that were challenged?" While he wanted to be courteous, he couldn't let the man off quite so easily on this one.

“Tings like eh, yah military would nut be en good shape tah defend yah borders. Maybe I tink dat many Kaerelean peoples are so open minded dat dere brains fall out during negotiations.” Illya chuckled a little. “Tings dat are different en custom and tah meh dat made dem wrong. I am learning better.”

He smiled at some of the thoughts that came out of Illya's mouth and chuckled The man was being genuine in his follies but also real about the fact that he was continuing to learn. It was very...Kaerelean...of him. He didn't point that out though. Instead, he chuckled and nodded. "You called the people of the Alliance your peoples too," he said, "Are there things that you've enjoyed being on the home planet and living as an Chippeqouti- Alliance Citizen?"

"Oh..." Illya shifted some and the chair creaked loudly. "Dat's nut one of dem. Furniture es small often times. Eh..I do like nut having tah sneak around and having privilege tah go ento any store and buy someting for price I see. No extra charges because I'm Chip. Dat's nice."

That comment earned Illya a less reserved chuckle. "Aye, I imagine that would be so. Most of us aren't so tall," he said, "And that's a privledge that any Alliance citizen would have. Is there anything else?"

"I like dah travel witout being shot at. Some foods are better den oters when I travel. Dah Terrans have very good food. I will admit dat I like Terran food very much." Illya smirked, "I still like Pytra. Dah home es very quiet around dah house. Meh house es nut so quiet wit dah kids, but dey are safe and dey dun understand war. I like et dat way."

Owyen watched a smirk curl to Illya's face as he spoke about Terran food being a favorite of his and of his fondness for Pyrta. At the mention his kids, he nodded. "Aye, I imagine so. When there is silence with children, there's trouble afoot. I did read that you are going to be a father again soon, three times over. Congratulations to you and your agreed are in order, I think. Are you excited?"

"Yes," Illya said almost emphatically. "I am very pleased. I dun know dat meh Kalizda could have so many children. Dis es very pleasing. I like tah have babies wit her. Et's fun making dem and raising dem. I will teach all meh sons tah be good hunters. Hunting es good and ets healty for man. Meh Kalizda es very good en flight on dah falcons and she es good spotter. I will ask tah bring her hunting wit meh again on Reylia."

Owyen listened and chuckled some at the 'ets fun making dem' part. The emperor came much more alive when he spoke about his wife and children. It was something he saw sometimes with soldiers. The ones that werent so far gone they couldn't see past war. Knowing that was encouraging. "It is surprising she has had so many children, given the odds she has faced. Are you hoping for boys or girls with your triplets and what else do you hope to teach your children?"

"Et does nut matter to meh ef dey are boys or girls. I love children. All dat matters es dat we have more babies and dey will be healty and we will love dem." Illya thought for a very short moment and he grinned, "Dey will learn tah speak Quoti, dey will learn customs from dere moter and meh and legends and we agree dat dey will peck dere future. I will nut force dem tah anyting, but dey will work hard at whatever dey do."

Illya spoke of his family with fondness, no small amount of pride and hope. Owyen nodded, smiling some, "That sounds like a very good future for your children, Emperor Illya." A little chime sounded and he looked over at his timer. "I'm afraid our time frame is coming to a close. Is there anything else you'd like me to know or anything else you'd like to say for our time runs out?"

"No, I dun tink anyting else needs saying. Nice tah meet yah." Illya stood up and walked with the man to the door and then exited. He knew that the man would have a little tear down to do. "Tank yah for coming all dis way on short notice."

He hadn't expected the man to have any closing thoughts. Military men were like that, so without missing a bit he stood and walked with Illya to the door. He didn't offer to shake his hand and he knew Chippeqouti did not like bowing unless it was on the strictest of occasions, so he gave the man a nod of respect. "It was a pleasure to meet you Emperor Illya Blackwolf. I appreciate the time you've taken today. Go spend some time with your family, yeah?"

Illya nodded and he quickly stepped out the door. The interview was long feeling and he felt relieved knowing it was done. Now he needed to go tuck the kids into their beds. They had all wanted him to read a story to them before bed. When Illya got up the stairs he could hear Kalizda finishing one of the books and then he poked his head into the room. "Es et meh turn tah read a story yet?"

After story time was finished Illya went back with Kalizda to their bedroom at Tikan's house. He started with taking his beret off, brushing it gently and then setting it in his dress uniform travel bag. Then Illya took the jacket off and brushed it off and gently polished the medals. There was an entire process and it required making sure the uniform was perfectly neat and clean when he put it away and cleaning it carefully before wearing it again next time. In only an hour he would not need to wash it, but he would have to gently brush it and make sure it was crisp and fresh looking for the next appearance.

When he was all done with that, Illya stripped to his boxers and brushed his teeth. After he was fully ready for bed he took his boxers off and got into the tent/fort bed on the floor with Kalizda. "I thought a lot about you today." Speaking to her in Quoti he whispered in her ear. "I thought about some of the things we told each other when we first agreed."

He was going to have to talk with her about his past at some point and today was a perfect example of why he would have to do that and he wanted to now that he understood his mistake. "Our first night we talked about the things we wanted from each other. I don't think I've done very well talking with you." Gently kissing her near her right earlobe he worked his way down her neck and then mumbled a little more. "Also, remember, the guys and I will do that sword dance tomorrow before we leave. Told Tikan we would prepare to do one on the polls. Been practicing since we got back from the hunting trip."

Illya noticed that Kalizda was particularly quiet and he pushed up on one elbow so he could try to get a better look at her face. "You seem kinda quiet?" Then he remembered what he had been saying before he changed subjects. "Are you upset that I decided we should talk more?"

Calysta was more than happy to leave the reporter behind and return relaxing with Illya and the kids. It had been a difficult meeting in more ways than one. The woman had wanted to talk about things that she had thought herself prepared for, but really wasn't. The things that were being said about her by the remaining members of the Heritage party were scathingly false. Luckily, their numbers had dwindled since some of them had not known about the slander video and thought it a step too far, even for them to associate with.

That was all behind them for now, and she was determined to relax some with her family where they were safe and among friends. They sat in the garden with just themselves. Everyone else seemed to retreat to give them space and she was grateful for it. Cypher played with his little practice sword while the twins napped with Illya. Lohgan made little flower crowns for them and she smiled to her daughter. "Why don't I braid some in your hair too, yeah?" That made Lohgan quite happy. She spent the time combing her daughters curls and braiding them like a little Chip girl's hair with flowers in between. The day was a golden and quiet one. A soft breeze blew in from the south, warming their skin and swaying Illya's hammock seat where the twins lay with him.

They spent their days relaxing in a way that she imagined a normally family got to experience. She taught Rose and Lohgan a little dance that was popular when she was a kid and they had fun for awhile, just bopping along to an old Kaerlean song until it was time to go on a picnic. She was moving slower than she normally would be and the kids kept running ahead of her as they explored the forests around the city. Illya was patient beyond compare and stayed with her as she was slower up the hills than before. While they walked and roved through the summer forest, Illya kept stealing glances at her. His green eyes were bright and he smiled at her every time their eyes met. It made her heart flutter a little and she couldn't help but smile back. When he looked at her that way, she knew he was happy and that he loved her. At one point in time, he was looking at her and she stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. "I love you too," she whispered to him. He hadn't needed to say it. Every action he made told her so without reserve. Spending time with him without any pressure made her feel light as a feather and she was glad they'd taken the extra days to be together.

Calysta enjoyed the little kisses from her husband, but she was sure her brow furrowed trying to follow his very disjointed train of thought. She was pleased he had been thinking about her and it brought a certain kind of secret joy to her to know that she had been in his thoughts. However, the mention of his vows to her and talking. He has never brought that up before. He asked if she was upset and she shook her head slowly. "No...not upset," she said softly as she turned to look up at him better from her back. Her hand slid to the nape of his neck and she kissed him with a little peck. "A bit confused, but not upset. I didn't think you...liked ...talking." Her grey eyes studied his, curious and soft as she held him.

There was a momentary pause when Illya heard her response. "Eh...why do yah tink I dun like talking?" Illya didn't think talking was bad, he just didn't do a lot of it. Of course there was the fact that he was looking deep into her eyes and she seemed to have this idea stuck in her head.

Her fingers played at the hair on the nape of his neck and she kept her eyes on him. "Mmm...well...we talk about some things. Other things, you don't want to talk about...you simply don't. You told me you didn't care about the past, mine or yours at some point. So, I thought you didn't want to know or talk about it." Her other hand came up and she held his side, rubbing gently just below the new tattoo she had yet to see under the bandage as she adjusted her head on the pillow some.

"Well..." Illya cringed some. "I dun mean dat. I eh....I tink maybe yah misunderstand. Dere are tings I dun want tah talk about, but yah past was someting I tink yah dun want tah talk about eiter. We bot say we would nut talk about our past. Dat's what I remember." Illya took a deep breath before he said anything further. "I uh....I tink I make bad decision tah say dat. We should know more about each oter and our pasts."

She tilted her head some, studying his face and keeping her hands on her with soft touches as she smiled just a little. "There were things that were painful, yes. I would have shared them with you though. I'd like to know more. I always have. We can talk, yeah? What's something that you want me to know?" She wondered if he has something specific in mind.

Being faced with a sudden question about what he wanted to tell her was shocking. Illya blinked a few times and then answered. “Uh, I have two first languages?”

That came as a surprise for two reasons. One, she thought he had something specific in mind. Apparently that wasn't the case. Two, she didn't know that he was bi-lingual originally. She blinked in surprise at him. "Oh? I didn't know that. I thought you spoke only Qouti. What other language did you grow up speaking?"

Kalizda was surprised looking and her follow up question was natural. Illya grinned sheepishly, “I can’t tell yah dah name of dah language. I can speak some for yah.” Breaking off into Guoron he started telling her that he loved her and a few other things and then he stopped and grinned. “Someday I will teach yah dis oter language.”

Calysta smiled a little at his sheepish grin and nodded at the offer and he leaned in close and whispered in a language she didn't know. It was a smooth, soft sort of sounds and it sounded calm and gentle coming from his lips. Almost romantic. When he was done, she grinned. "Aye...I'd like to learn. What did you say, though?"

When he pulled away Illya saw her grinning. “I said dat I love yah and when we see end of dah war we will go to dah home I am from.” (edited)

Calysta smiled, her heart doing one of those strange fluttering things it did when her husband looked at her so. "I love you too," she said in Quoti, "And where you go, I go. I can't wait to explore it with you." She leaned up and kissed him before laying her head back down. "What else did you want to tell me?"

For a brief moment Illya thought they were going to just snuggle and he was fine with that. Then she asked what else he wanted to say. Illya frowned, “I dun know. Maybe I jes start answering questions yah ask.”

She raised a brow at him some. He hadn't come prepared with things he wanted to tell her at all, but he was trying. "Hmmm. Alright. When you were growing up in the jungle what were things you liked to do? Tell me you favorites. Tell me about your life in the jungle."

Illya saw the momentary disapproval on her face. He decided to just let it be though. “I like riding elephants, setting traps for dah dinosaurs, and working fields wit meh friend Gordy. Et was vereh simple way tah live. We have little lanterns en dah houses and bead doors. Et was hot and humid. I liked et.”

Calysta listened as her fingers continued playing over his skin. She smiled when he mentioned someone named Gordy. "You've never mentioned your friend Gordy. Was he Chippeqouti?"

This conver was starting to feel a bit risky and Illya slowly shook his head. “No, Gordy es friend dat es nut Chippequoti. He lives dere still ef dah Federation did nut find dem.”

Calysta's interest piqued and she looked at him with bright eyes. "Not Chip? He is as long lived as Chippeqouti, then?"

“Dey live long time. Close yah time Chippequoti live, but dey are bigger.” Illya answered her question and met her gaze. “What makes yah so interested en meh friend at home?”

Calysta listened with curiosity and she wanted to ask more. Bigger than Chippeqouti? They must have been Udine sized or bigger. Before she could ask, he asked why she wanted to know all about Gordy. "You've never outright called anyone your friend. I wanted to know about him because I want to share things with you and I've never heard you speak about this friend at all."

Illya swallowed and he nodded. “I em afraid dat Gordy might be dead ef Federation found meh home. Dey are good people dere and dah Pytra people remind meh of dem sometimes.”

She felt her heart ache when he spoke. He was worried and had been for his home and his friends. Her hand came to his cheek and she brushed his jaw with the back of her fingers. "We'll go as soon as we can and I'll be there no matter what happens."

Illya nodded. He didn’t know how to express how afraid he was that there would be no one left and only shambles of the villages he knew.

Calysta smoothed his hair and held his gaze. She could tell he was afraid for what might have happened. Gently, she pulled him into a tight hug. "I know you're afraid of what might have happened. We'll deal with whatever is ahead together, okay?"

"Dere are fruits dere much better." Illya let her comfort him only for a moment before he changed the subject. "Giant red berries as big as meh hand and seeded fruits even bigger and dah vegetables are very good. I like dem and dah slugs."

She always felt like she didn't do a very good job at comforting him no matter how she tried. Rather than taking any sort of comfort, he moved on, talking about fruits and slugs. She let him continue as she slowly loosened her grip. "Slugs?" She chuckled. "What sort of slugs?"

"Big blue ones. Dah green ones are ok, but I like dah juices from dah blue ones better. Yah should try dem when we get dere." Illya couldn't help some of the excitement at the prospect that he might get to go back one day. "Den, I will show yah dah city where meh moter like tah work sometimes and dah great Chip library."

Illya thought for a moment and then he grinned broadly. "We called et dah great book tower."

Calysta realized finally he was talking about eating them She wasn't opposed to trying new things but the idea of it made her a little queasy. Rather than telling him, she chuckled. "I'll try them," she promised, "I didnt know the Chippeqouti had a large city like that other than the one on Old Quoti. It's in the jungles? A library too? Are there still books and records?"

"Ef meh plan worked and dah Federation never found meh home dah city should still be dere. Dah city was en wastelands wit giant worms en dah lands around et. Dere will be many Chippequoti records en dah tower of book." Illya was getting more excited about it as he spoke. "Den dere are dah mountains wit dragons. I want tah try touching one."

She listened him describe his home. His real home. He was so excited sounding. More excited than she had seen him talk about anything else before. "Giant worms and dragons?" She said sitting up some with her own fascination. "You have dragons?

“Yes, dragons dat breat fires.” Illya smiled, “And dah worms are so big dey can swallow a small flyer.”

"No..." she said, giving him a look, "Really? You really have dragons...and giant worms that big?" It brought up a whole slew of questions and she was eager to know. "How do people live in the wastelands with the worms? How big are the dragons? What do they look like?"

The look of wonder on her face was cute and Illya smiled and nodded. "Oh yes, dey are dat big." Of course that resulted in more questions and he almost thought she was going to give him so many that he would forget. "Dah dragons are very large. I dun see one en long time. Some of dem would be big enough tah take up almost dah whole house ef dey spread wings. Dah worms I dun see very close. Dat's good. Dey would eat meh ef dey were very close." (edited)

Calysta grinned as he spoke. "I want to go with you. To touch the dragons and see the city and the jungle. And ride the elephants with you too. We'll stay for as long as you want, yeah?"

"I will take yah wit meh. I have second part to yah map. Et will unlock dah names and charts tah get to meh home. Yah have dah stars and I have dah directions." Illya smiled back at her. "We stay for a while when we first get dere. Et es long flight."

She smiled and kissed him. "I could think of a few things we could do on a long flight."

Illya accepted the kiss with a slightly mischievous grin. Slipping his hands around her waist he gave a gentle squeeze. "Maybe yah should tell meh about dose ideas."

She smiled, feeling his hand at her waist. "I think I'd like to show you. Just to make sure you approve. Before I do..." She looked into his eyes with an earnest gaze. "When you said talk more, you didn't mean for just one night, right?"

They were all a go, until Kalizda decided to ask a question. Illya thought for a long moment and then he shook his head. "I mean from now on."

Calysta gazed at him and she felt that warmth in her chest rise up. Her arms wrapped around him and she kissed him with all she had. "I love you. Thank you," she whispered between kisses.

She didn't stop at just kissing though. Illya was easy to rile up and it wasn't long before they were making love in their little fort on the floor. Afterward, she curled up with him and put his hand on her belly with a sleepy smile. "We can talk more tomorrow, yeah?" He assured her that they would talk more all of the time and she smiled before snuggling closer to him. She felt loved and safe as she drifted off in her husband's arms.

The next morning they were all up and moving early. This would be the last night they spent on Reylia. Tomorrow they would be off to the Udine colonies which were closer to the fringe. Before they had to embark, they had one more day left of summertime Reylia though and a sword dance had been promised to the chief. She knew Illya had been practicing hard and coming home with bruises as a result. The sword dance would be made that evening and a feast would follow for the entire city.

Of course, while she was sipping her morning tea, she opened up the news holograms to find two articles making the headlines. It wasn't unexpected, but she still wanted to cringe when she saw that they had been posted. Articles about herself were always uncomfortable at best.

Marching On- Darya Dale

The tour is a little over half way over for Councilwoman Calysta Monroe, however, it has been one of the most historical tours ever conducted by a Kaerelean council member. Not only does this tour come years after Ms. Monroe taking office, but it has been quite eventful.

From Kinte, to Aerikta, to the Colonies and everywhere between, the Councilwoman and her Emperor-General husband have been making impressions and keeping us on our toes. Some of the notable instances on Juiya and Uria include climbing palm trees and diving into pools laced with Urian love oil. Yes, ladies and gentleman, that little rumor is true.

Of course, these are minor incidents in comparison to the events on the colonies and Ewen.

It’s well known that an attempt on the Emperor-General’s life occurred on the colonies. Reports of the assassination attempt vary on the details but the main course of events seems to be that multiple gunmen open fired on the Emperor-General, Councilwoman and dignitary leaders from the colonies as they visited on the Terran colonies. To this subject the couple seemed more than happy to skim over as not so large of an issue. As if being shot at and taking serious injury was no longer something they concerned themselves over. Upon further questioning of the Councilwoman it was clear that the event left its mark on both of them. The Councilwoman was quiet on the matter but did indeed call it a “long and bloody day.”

Many of the Council persons would have stopped the tour at this point. An assassination attempt is no small matter, but Councilwoman Calysta Monroe did not put a halt to the long awaited tour. She marched onward to Ewen where yet more shocking events occurred. It’s common knowledge that Romyea and Deryeo Reyian have been head of the Heritage party on Ewen, and are staunch purists. However, it was not common knowledge that the Reyain power couple were the grandparents of the half-breed Councilwoman herself.

This long lost secret was brought to the light after a targeted display blasted the Councilwoman for unruly behavior, lying, and being power hungry in a war she brought to the Alliance doorstep. The Councilwoman made an empowering comeback on the night this occurred, but the story isn’t over. When asked about the rumor that the tape was created orchestrated by her team as an excuse to arrest the purist couple for treason, the Councilwoman firmly denied it. "They can say that but it doesn't make it true. I wouldn't do such a thing, no matter how I felt. I hold myself to a higher standard than the one they set for themselves. As for their consequences, they will be charged and tried through the judicial system like anyone else in their situation, not according to their perceived station."

Strong words from a estranged granddaughter, but the Councilwoman does not seem to take any sort of satisfaction from the clash with her biological grandparents. In fact, she goes so far as to outright deny the Reyians as family.

"The only thing I find satisfying about the entire history with the kin who are technically my biological grandparents, is that I am now able to help heal the rift caused by their hate and prejudice. To bring us together better as a people. Yes, Miss Darya, I find that part very satisfying. And as to the question about my integrity, the answer is no. I have no hesitation because it was the correct call, family or not. My grandmother and grandfather are a wonderful, kind and wise couple that talked to me, comforted me, guided me, and took care of me when I needed it. They are not the two that are sitting in cells right now. They are Chip and I am their granddaughter. Proudly so."

These Chippeqouti grandparents the Councilwoman refers to are the grandparent of the Emperor- General, Edgar and Helen. They both serve the Chippeqouti Council.

With as much tenacity as she spoke out against the Reyians, the Councilwoman grew a bit shy when she was asked about a much different rumor. Many of us have seen the little hologram on Ewen [shown below] and rumors abound as to whether not the Councilwoman is pregnant.

The Councilwoman and Emperor-General have put this rumor to rest and confirmed they are indeed expecting, not one, but three, babies. Of course this news breaks all sorts of records. The Councilwoman is the only half-breed to successfully have children much less so many.

The Councilwoman’s next stop is the Udine Colonies and it is a much anticipated stop, considering the Udine interest in one day joining the Alliance. However, for now, the Councilwoman’s tour continues undeterred by the difficult times and her message of unity across the Alliance remains strong. Her final parting comment was ".. regardless of what has happened thus far, my hope and work remains the same. This tour is to bring us closer and stronger and nothing will change that mission."

What Makes a Man -Owyn Irling

There are many thoughts and opinions on exactly who Emperor-General Illya Blackwolf is. Some say he is a loving husband with a perfect marriage and half a dozen children whom he dotes upon like no other. Some say he is a deadly warrior with a stern demeanor and a staunch almost, stone faced sense of duty. Others would declare him a ruthless and cunning enemy. Yet even more still would call him a man of charm. A hero.

There are many things that make up a man and Illya Blackwolf is no different in that respect. There is an expectation upon meeting a man of his status that he will remain professional and aloof. At our introductions, I can say this was mildly true of the Emperor. He was swift and to the point just like any man of military stock would be. This came as no surprise.

However, the more I spoke with the man of so many roles, the more I came to understand. While his life is not easily separated from the ongoing war, there is more to the man than a first glance at his well-polished uniform and starched beret would suggest.

Emperor- General Illya Blackwolf grew up, in some ways, like any other young boy would. He enjoyed games, hunting, and running. He had a loving mother and protective older sister. It is these two women in his life that keep him insulated from the harsh realities of the war. His father, also a high ranking military official, was often absent from the home. The young Illya Blackwolf came to understand that his father's absence was his duty, and in time, it would also become his duty too. The small things in his life became the bigger clues that he was being raised in an uncertain time of war.

At the age of 8, his father began to take him to war camps. Traditionally, Chippeqouti children are not expected to begin training in careers until the age of 12. For military purposes training would not begin until the age of 15. The Emperor-General was uncertain as to why his father made the decision to bring him to the front lines so young but by the age of 12 he began learning to fire weapons, and carry out some of the lighter duties of a soldier initiate.

There is little time for anything outside of this military life for Illya Blackwolf. At the age of 15 he is building his first home for his soon to be wife, term 'agreed' by Chippeqouti culture and learning to be a man by the Chippeqouti tradition. By the age of 17 he is married to a wife whom he loves very much.

At the age of 25 or so, Illya Blackwolf has risen in the ranks of the military through a series of successful campaigns with him as leader. He is invited to the Chippeqouti Elite, a force of highly trained and specialized men. He continued to rise higher in the ranks based on his service, skill, courage, and leadership, as evidenced by the many medallions pinned to his dress uniform. These medals include a medal for perseverance in the face of death.

Illya Blackwolf has seen death on more than one front indeed. The man has been on an unknowable amount of missions in his capacity as a Chippeqouti Elite soldier. Rumors of his assassinations and capital orders abound. He was earnest when he spoke of the deaths attributed to him. One of which includes a mission to assassinate Terran members of the Federation on Terra itself. He also killed over 200 prisoners of war by his own admission. The deaths of those prisoners came in response to diminishing space and the loss of his child, and eventually his wife, among others due to poison administered by the same prisoners.

Where there is death, however, there is rebirth. 12 years ago, after escaping from the planet where his people were exiled and facing slow genocide, he began anew with his current agreed, Calysta Marie Monroe. The simple mention of his current agreed's name brings a new life to our conversation. It is clear that his agreed and his many children are what he lives for. While he has suffered several terrible wounds in his duty, he describes the love and care of his family as being a large part of his recovery.

The loss of his first wife and child along with many of the missions we will never know of resulted in biases and old wounds not so easily mended. The most notable of which is a well-documented distaste for Terrans and the Pithian peoples. When asked about this, the man did not deny his thoughts. He admitted them but also stated he had been working very hard to change some of those ideas in the pursuit of being a better man, a better agreed, and a better father. What he looks forward to the most is to return home to the planet which he helped protect and to live his life with his family without the shadow of war.

So, who is Emperor- General Illya Blackwolf? He referred to himself as a product of war, born, bred, and molded by it. However, after my conversation, I find this to be inaccurate.

Illya Blackwolf is more than war. He is a man. A man bound by duty and a love for the traditions of his heritage. A deadly warrior. An intelligent and brave soldier. He is a loving agreed. A devoted father. A man who speaks honestly about his mistakes and moves forward with the hope of correcting them.He is a man dedicated to his people. He is a man who works for a time when there will be no more war and his peoples, all of them, may live in peace. These are the truths that make the man who is today and who he works to become for tomorrow.

She finished reading both articles and found her throat was a little tight as her eyes lifted up to Illya who had just walked into the breakfast nook ready for food. She didn't want to bring the articles up so early in the morning but it was easier to get it done and over with. "Love?" she said "Have you seen the news this morning? Our articles are in there."

Back