Confusing Character Gender Reveal

Wyknish

That's my secret-I never know what I'm doing
This is confusing, so I'll try and make it quick. I have this character who I won't reveal is a girl until after the prologue and the first chapter. That will end with the reveal. This is for respect-earning badass purposes, but in the prologue, I'm not sure if I should use pronouns like 'he' or 'him' because although it's in third-person, all the characters in that prologue know she's a girl (she's called Charles, but I can't use her name too much). I know I can use them when I get to the first chapter, because I switch to the POV of my protag, who, for reasons, is not her. He assumes she's a guy. She's dressed in a hoodie, hood up, keeping her head down, and is pretty muscular. Still, it's the prologue I'm worried about. Should I use masculine pronouns, or no? Without using any gender pronouns, it's sounding pretty awkward

I've tried. I'm new to writing with no gender pronouns, though.Do you have any tips for when I should put in they/them and when I should use names, maybe? Thank you!

I think you could use they/them whereever you would normally use she/her or he/him.

I know, I was sort of blanking and feel a bit stupid now. I may have been too descriptive with the first appearance of my character

I would honestly go with male pronouns if that's how the character who's point of view you're reading sees them as. It would make complete sense, and it's only from the first chapter, isn't it? Easy enough to change it after that, just make sure you make the reveal clear so readers understand.

If this is still relevant, I agree with WimsyWillow, if the character views themselves as a guy, use male pronouns, I think it can add a lot to the start of your story and gives an idea of what kind of inner things your protag is /will be going through (I'm guessing this choice has something to do with some bigger elements in your story). So don't worry about writing with he/him at first ^^

I love pulling these off. It's difficult in the English language.

In the context of roleplaying, and I am roleplaying such a character, I use 'they', or even just switch between pronouns however I please. Some say it gets confusing, but then again, I haven't touched the trope in a long time.

If I am interacting with said character, I use the pronoun I see the character as.

It depends on the viewpoint.

There are different types of third person viewpoints. Is the viewpoint third person omniscient narrator, or third person from the character's viewpoint?

An omniscient narrator knows everything about all the people, places, and events in a story. We can trust that anything an omniscient narrator tells us is accurate. So therefore it would be very difficult to describe a character whose actual gender has not been revealed yet. Using 'they' only gives away in advance that the character might actually be female when they appear to be male, or vice versa. Using the pronouns associated with the gender they appear to be, until the reveal, might be considered dishonest from the otherwise honest omniscient narrator, but opinions on that will vary.

Third person from a character's viewpoint might give us better results, though. We see this form of narrative in several books, including George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. For example, a certain chapter/section might be labeled 'Jon' and thus tell that part of the story from Jon Snow's perspective, while still remaining third person. The narrative describes Jon Snow's thoughts and internal reactions, but the reactions of those around him (Samwell Tarly, Lord Commander Mormont, Ser Aliser Thorne, Ygritte, Tormund, various Night's Watch and wildlings) are described from what Jon sees. We don't get into those characters' heads while the viewpoint remains Jon's. If the next part of the book is told from Samwell Tarly's perspective, then we get into Sam's head and get more insight as to his thoughts and feelings on the matter, and Jon's reactions are likewise described from what Sam sees. Even though all this is still written in third person.

So yes, in third person perspective, if you're writing from the viewpoint of someone other than the gender-ambiguous character, then feel free to use the pronouns of the gender that person appears to be until the reveal.

If, however, the third person perspective character IS the gender-ambigous character, then it depends. Do they think of themselves within those pronouns? Do they see themselves in a sort of non-rigid gender terms, in which they refer to themselves with male pronouns when they have a male appearance but female pronouns if they have a female appearance? If so, then the use of the pronouns in this manner makes perfect sense.

I have roleplayed a few characters of this sort who actually switch sexes via a sort of gender bender magic, and used pronouns such as this accordingly.

Back