Conley Brothers

Star nodded "I want to see Claudius too" he smiled "but maybe we should make sure he want visitors. Not always want them"

Vlad nodded with a smile. "How about you go ahead of us and talk to him? Kazimir, Tim, Tam, and I will follow a bit behind. If he does not want visitors, well, it is a nice night for a walk."

Starnacht gave a nod and stood up "ok" he agreed "I will wave you over if he wants visitors" he said before he headed off across the field, vanishing into whatever shadows he could to jump from spot to spot until he was near the cage "Claudius?"

Vlad and party traveled much more slowly than Star, which Kazimir chattering incessently with the twins.

Claudius stirred when he heard Star's voice. He climbed out of his nest and inched to the cage side. "Starnacht?" he whispered. "That is you?"

"Yes its me" he answered "can I come in to see you?" He asked, he could tell something was off

Claudius hesitated and almost said no, but then he thought about it. Perhaps a distraction would be good. "Yes," he agreed.

A moment later he stepped through the shadows and into the corner of the cage "you are not happy?" He asked, sitting down amd watching his friend

"No," Claudius admitted. He wasn't sure how to explain things to Star, and he did not want to frighten the child. After a moment of thought, he quietly said, "Sometimes I frighten myself. That is all."

He nodded thoughtfully "i don't understand exactly but I know what is to he scared" he reached into his pocket and found a rock thr size of his palm. Smooth with flecks of mica that made it glitter in spots "when I scared I like to hold and rub fingers on this and watch the sparkle" he showed him how he smoothed his thumbs and fingers over the stone and turned it to catch the light "helps me to calm and not be scared"
He held the stone out to Claudius

Claudius carefully picked up the stone from Star's hand, the tips of his claws brushing Star's skin lightly. He rolled the stone onto his palm and looked at it, rolling it back and forth carefully. The sparkle was hypnotizing, for certain, and perhaps that was why he liked Star, but the cool of the rock and the weight of it in his hand was what really calmed him. He studied it for a little longer then held it back out to Star. "Thank you. I will try to find one myself," he said. The little fellow practically was his rock at the moment, and he felt a little guilty about that. That was a lot for such a young little child, for an adult to be dependant on them.

Star shook his head, not taking the rock "it is more easy for me to find a new one" he said "and see I have this now too that Spectra gave to me" he picked up the star necklace to show him "I can hold it when I am scared and know people care for me now" he pointed to the rock "now you have to know I care for you" he smiled "like..friendship rock!" He said a little more cheerfully

Claudius looked down at the rock then curled his fingers around it. "Thank you, little Star friend," he whispered. He looked up, hearing the voices of the twins as they approached. What were they doing here? He looked at Star quizzically.

Star glanced towards the sound too "oh, the twins want you to meet Kaz. He is good and nice but maybe it would be better a different time yes?"

Claudius considered then dipped his head. "Now is fine, I suppose. Distractions are good." He tucked the rock deep into his nest first. If Star liked this fellow, then he might as well meet him.

Star gave him a nod and a smile "ok. I will be back in moment" he said before he was gone into the shadows, then was outside the cage, stepping out near the twins

Tam squeaked and jumped away. "That is scary when you do that!"

Vlad chuckled. "So, you have been gone a long time. Does Claudius not wish to have visitors?"

Star blinked "oh.. I did not mean to scare" he apologized and sheank shyly back again, really wanted them to like him and let him be part of their family.

"He is ok for a little visit" Star answered Vlad but did not elaborate more

Vlad smiled and laid a gentle hand on Star's shoulder. "Thank you, Star."

The twins were already well over their fear and ran forward eagerly. Kazimir happily followed them, excited to see this new friend.

Star looked up at him and smiled a little beforr he followed the others over. He softly tapped on the tarp to let him know he was there before lofting a corner, not able to reach higher than that

"Here, let me help," Kazimir said, reaching down to help him. He pulled the tarp up higher and secured it on the cage wall.

The twins were quick to press themselves against the bars. "Hi, Claudius! Do you want to come out? We have a friend for you to meet!" they greeted, trying without much success to keep their voices down and not scare him.

Vlad stood back, keeping a close eye on them, but he was also curious as to Camilla's whereabouts.

Claudius slowly approached the cage. "No, stay here," he said simply. He looked between them quietly. He, like Vlad, could tell them apart easily, although for him it was the smell. Beyond that, it was just a matter of remembering which name went with which smell.

"Oh, okay, but will you say hi? He is our Uncle Kazimir!" Tam stated, pulling Kaz forward.

Kaz smiled brightly. "Hello! I am Kazimir!" He paused, his smile fading. "Oh, oh dear, you poor, poor thing."

Claudius eyed him narrowly. "Why?"

Kazimir did not answer him directly, instead leaning forward and studying his body. "You have been put through iad, haven't you? What did those nemernici do? You are like a doll stitched of two beings."

Claudius frowned, drawing back a little. "I do not know what you mean."

"I am sorry, little thing, so sorry," Kazimir said, deep and genuine pity in his eyes. He reached into the bars. "Is there a way I can ease your suffering?"

Claudius scowled, contemplating breaking the arm or at least punching the annoying face. He did not like this Kazimir one bit!

Vlad spotted the look, sadly well-aquainted with it, and stepped forward. "My, will you look at the time!" he said, drawing Kazimir back "The unicorns need brushing."

"They do?" Kaz asked, instantly distracted. "I should help!"

"Yes, yes, you should definately help with that so they will have shiny coats," Vlad encouraged, guiding him away from Claudius.

Back