Conley Brothers

KJDarKnight

You can make anything by writing -C.S Lewis
Conley Brothers, the most gifted circus on earth. A bold statement to be painted on the sides of wagons and train cars but they proved it, if not just in size but by the attractions of all sorts, something for everyone. Anyone who entered was guaranteed to be amazed by what they saw.
The only rival of course was the Ringling brothers Barnum and Baily's greatest show on earth, or Big Bertha as the other circus's called them.

Conley Brothers wasn't quite as famous but a very close second. Mr. Conley didn't seem overly concerned about advertising he left all that end of things to his brother Leon. He handled management and organizing the acts, that sort of thing, primarily delegating. Preferring to keep distance from his employees. Getting attached was a weakness he could not afford. Though they seemed oblivious to his dislike of most of them, his charm worked wonders. Most of them thought the world of him and he graciously accepted their praise when they offered it. He liked to be the face of the circus that was for certain, a vain man.

Seemed they were always adding more members to the circus that kept it constantly interesting and new even to those who had seen their acts a dozen times. Some.. always seemed to go missing too.. but soon forgotten as new faces came along.
There were some who had been with Mr. Conley since the birth of the circus but most had come later on. He seemed to have no trouble convincing those he found worthy to join up. He'd even traveled over seas to find specific people he'd heard about.

The circus always set up in the dead of night and was ready at first light for customers and for three to five nights they had attractions at all hours, something for everyone accommodating everyone's schedules.

The caravan soon came to an open field just outside town, near midnight, just in time to unload and set up for the promised show the next morning. Everyone knew their roles and the routine of set up and if they didn't others were quick to point them in the right direction, organized chaos really.

Mr. Conley himself didn't do much of the work but sat on fold out deck of his own wagon to watch and make sure everything was going according to plan.

Leon glided out to the deck and stood next to his brother while he finished fixing the flashy earring in his ear. "Arthur, brother of mine, how doth the fair fare?" he smiled, amused at his own play on words.

Keith crouched in the shadows at the end of the wagon, listening for Master Conley to speak and give him orders. No orders for now, so he waited, hidden, listening and watching the bustle. His thin white hair wafted around his face and red eyes, barely kept in check by the silver circlet he wore. It wasn't real silver, but he liked to pretend it was. One gray-gloved hand played idly with a knife while he watched for trouble. No trouble around Master Conley's wagon!

~~

Across the circus field, Vlad guided his wagon into position at the end of what would be the sideshow fairway. Regina, as always, followed his guidance calmly and peaceably, but Negru stomped his heavy hooves and tossed his horned head restlessly. He knew what this area meant! It meant time to play in the grass! Regina held him back, but he was still making the wagon go crooked. Vlad had to get down and take their bridles, guiding the unicorns by hand while murmuring softly to them in his native tongue. Finally, he got the wagon lined up and quickly set the break.

Tim and Tam bounced out of the wagon and whirled over to Vlad. "Is it time? Is it time?" they chanted eagerly.

Vlad turned to the pale twins and smiled. "No, little ones, it is not yet time, but you may go play. Stay out of the stevedores' way, yes?"

"Yes!" they chirped and off they ran to see what trouble they could get into without getting caught.

Vlad shook his head then unhitched Negru and Regina. The heavy bodies and broad, feathered hooves thundered as he led them out to a flat area of grass. Once he established the place had no poisonous plants, he staked out long leads and left the unicorns there to graze in peace.

Felix looked over and frowned a little "Felix" he corrected "you know I don't go by that name" left a bad taste in his mouth, Arthur, their absent fathers name. He eyed the earring distastefully, he didn't much approve of men wearing jewelry really but his brother knew that already so did not bother to say so. "Are you going to behave this time or do I need to worry?"

--

Adanya settled her carts towards the back as well, away from where the big top was being set up. She never truly got used to the noise of a circus. Noticing the unicorns she decided not to spook them by letting out her cats though her constant companion, a 700 pound Siberian tiger named Striker. Missing most of his teeth now, lazy nowdays and didn't preform. He was an old boy who proffered Adanya's company to the younger animals so walked along with her as she checked the wagons for any damages during travel.

She spared Vlad a glance, she tolerated him more than some of the others, mostly because of his animals though.

Leon chuckled deeply. "Oh, dear, sweet Felix Arthur Conley, when have you ever needed to worry about me? No, I am merely waiting for our customary visit by the local constable so I might assure him that we do, in fact, have a permit." Leon produced a piece of official-looking paper with a flourish. Of course it wasn't the real thing, but only a true expert would be able to tell the difference. "After that, I thought I might take our baby sister out shopping if this little by-way has anything of interest."

~~

Vlad noticed Adanya and smiled. He gave her a bow of greeting but did not try to call out in greeting or approach her. Regina noted the tiger, but the golden unicorn only twitched her tail dismissively. Negru whinnied a challenge and shook his head. He wasn't nearly as bold with the younger cats, but he knew this one to be old.

Felix sighed "Leon, I can't number the times I've had to worry" he said with a slight shake of his head. He slid a chair out from a compartment and passed one to him before sliding out the second for himself and took a seat "Coffee or tea or perhaps something stronger?" he asked as he conjured up a cup of steaming tea for himself, well, not so much conjured as teleported from the kitchen inside, too much effort to walk over and get it. He didn't use this sort of magic in the presence of most others, keeping it to himself for the most part

--

Striker looked but wasn't interested really, more content with finding a comfortable spot to flop down and keep an eye on his human. Adanya gave Vlad a nod in return, acknowledging him which was more than she did for most people. She would be a tough shell to crack if anyone ever wanted to give it a try.

Camila as always was going about making sure everyone had what they needed, always thinking of others before herself. "Vlad?" she called out as she neared his wagon

"Coffee would be most delightful!" Leon said as he accepted the chair. He grinned at his brother then nudged his shoulder gently. "Come along, Arthur, lighten up!" Leon's literal being began to glow slightly then dimmed. "Today is a new day in a new place filled with people who will happily hand us money and pay us for playing and engaging in tomfoolery. What is there to be so serious about?"

~~

Vlad brightened when he heard Camila's voice and walked around the wagon to greet her. "Miss Conley! What a delight. What strike of luck has brought you here?" he asked, greeting her as he did almost every single time they met for any reason at all. Sometimes even when he was the one to seek her out.

Felix frowned "Call me Arthur again and I'll have you scooping horse dung" he said, but all the same, a mug of hot coffee materialized in his brothers hand, taken from who knows where. Felix wasn't a fan of coffee himself so kept none in his own wagon. "I reserve my energy for the ring, you know that"

--

"Please, just call me Cami, you know my brothers don't like people knowing who I am" she scolded lightly. He was always so sweet to her "I just came to see if you have everything you need" she explained "You and your animals" she looked fondly over at the unicorns

Leon chuckled softly. "You're such a sourpuss that I'll take any kind of reaction from you, even annoyed about your middling name." He lifted the cup. "Thank you whoever made this!" He took a sip then made a face. "On the other hand, I rescind my thanks. Ugh." He set it down next to his foot. "What were we talking about?"

~~

"Thank you, Miss Camila, it is so thoughtful of you to come and check on us," Vlad smiled. "We have everything we need, though Negru always wants more treats. I tell him if he keeps trying to steal all the apples and carrots he'll lose his figure, but he never believes me."

~~

The twins were "stalking" Adanya, or more correctly her tiger, Striker, watching in awe. They were a bit obsessed with the tiger whether or not he liked them, and Adanya was always colorful! So until a more interesting subject came along, they snuck along behind her, spying.

"We weren't really talking about anything" he said simply, watching as the circus was being put together in front of them "Ah look there's your constable, go pester him instead hm?" he suggested when he spotted them coming down into the field

--

"Well I suppose I shouldn't have brought these then" she took a couple sugar cubes out of bag, one for each of them. She really was a gentle thoughtful soul, not at all like her brothers. She cared about everyone there.

--

Striker glanced their way but ignored them as he laid his head down and watched Adanya instead until she came back to sit with him, satisfied everything was in place

Leon rose to his feet. "As you wish, bossy brother!" He reached down and ruffled Felix's hair lightly before striding off to meet the constable, his smile bright and gleaming.

"I could make the constable go away," Keith suggested, sounding like a whisper from the shadows. He offered every time even though he knew what the answer would be.

~~

Vlad chuckled when he saw the treats. "Ah, but how could I deny them? They do so love your visits!" He nodded in a gesture to follow him and started back toward the two grazing unicorns.

~~

Tim and Tam whispered between each other briefly then took turns creeping out toward the tiger then darting back. Each one got a little closer, then a little closer. The goal was to touch the tail without getting caught!

No Keith, not today" he answered the whisper as he smoothed his hair back and sipped his tea, watching his brother to go handle the constable, glad he didn't have to bother with it, it was nice having his brother around for these things.

The constable came to a stop when he saw Leon coming, the sun wasn't up yet so he held a flashlight up "I don't recall getting a permit on my desk" he frowned

--

she grinned a little and followed after him into the grass, lifting her skirts up so they wouldn't snag on anything. She could wear pants at the circus and nobody would bat an eye but she liked dresses, feeling feminine but her brothers would never let her wear the latest fashion, those flapper dresses were much to revealing for their sister.

--

Striker flicked his tail, waited, waited then just as one of them was about to get to him he whipped his head around and roared at them much like a tiger teaching his cubs to hunt, it was playful not aggressive

Keith sighed in disappointment but said nothing more. His master had spoken.

Leon smiled brilliantly as he approached. "Good morning, Constable! Welcome to our humble circus. I am afraid we are not properly set up, yet, but please do come back! All serving officers of the law are welcome to come in free."

~~

Both unicorns' heads came up when they heard someone approaching, and they greeted Camila and Vlad with gentle nickers. Regina stepped forward first, greeting Camila. She was the alpha in this herd no matter how tiny, and Negru had learned to respect that. Regina got first pets and first treats. He stood back politely, tossing his head hopefully.

"Good boys and girls," Vlad crooned. "Say hello to our dear friend!"

~~

The twins squealed and tumbled backward over each other and hid behind a corner of a tent. They sat giggling breathlessly, their eyes sparkling. They might be in their teens, but they were acting like little children as they grinned at the tiger.

Last edited:
"I don't care for your freak show" the man grumbled "I'm afraid you're going to have to go, no permit, no show" he folded his arms, a grumpy older gentleman who clearly did not like having to come out so early to tell them off.

--

Cami smiled and took out a sugar cube, holding her hand flat out for the unicorn "That's a good girl Ragina" she spoke ever softly when she spoke to the animals, stroking her neck and letting her eat the sugar cube. "They always amaze me.. how beautiful they are" she kept her eyes on the animal as she poke to Vlad

--

Striker flicked his tail and laid his head back down, satisfied. Adanya smiled and pet his head "You like to tease the little ones I know" she said to which he chuffed and closed his eyes.

"Oh dear, I am terribly sorry. There appears to have been some miscommunication," Leon said with a frown. "I have the permit right here." He produced it with a flourish. "I intended to drop it off later in the day, for what man likes to be disturbed so early in the morning?" he lied smoothly.

~~

Regina accepted the treat delicately, her lips brushing Camila's hand softly. She huffed softly, her eyes closing slightly as she accepted the attention, leaning into Camila's touch. Negru whickered softly, stretching out his neck as far as he dared. He wanted a treat! But Regina ignored him.

Vlad chuckled softly. "Beautiful and headstrong," he said with a smile. "If you would like to ride them at any time, Miss Camila, you need only to ask! Regina adores you."

~~

The twins drew back for a bit then slowly started their game again. They never had managed to touch the tiger's tail, but they played this little game perhaps two or three times every new place they stopped. They would eventually get distracted or scared off, but they took clear delight in the game as long as they could.

The constable snatched the paper and looked it over. He huffed and eyed him a moment "fine but next time have it on my desk the day before" he grumbled in annoyance but looked like he wouldn't be giving any more trouble.

--

Camila's eyes lit up at the offer "really? Would she really let me ride her?" She had always wondered what that would feel like but not bold enough to ask but he had now offered

--

Striker didn't mind the game. Sometimes letting them get pretty close but still a hit too much pride to let them win

"Of course! I am terribly sorry to have inconvenienced you like this," Leon smiled. "I do hate to get off on the wrong foot with people. Is there any way I can make it up to you, sir?"

~~

"Of course!" Vlad assured her. "Perhaps later this afternoon? She could use a warm-up before the show."

~~

Tim (or was it Tam?) almost caught the tiger's tail the second time, but then spotted something glittering. They dahsed away, running after Spectra. She was so shiny! Covered in glittery things!

"Just don't cause any trouble" he answered, at least being reasonable which was more than could be said for other towns they had been to. Just a grumpy morning that was all.

--

Cami grinned "Oh I'd love that!" She said excitedly though not forgetting the second unicorn in her excitement. She held her hand out to him "come on then. Want a treat too don't you?"

--

Spectra glanced over, noticing from the corner of her eye. She smiled "give me a hand with my cart and I might have some candies for you" she offered the twins

"Of course, sir! Thank you so much for your understanding," Leon said with a smile. "Have a good day! And please remember that officers are welcome to come and visit for free."

~~

Negru eagerly accepted the treat with a little less delicacy than Regina, but at least he didn't bite the hand, just slobber over it. Regina decided that pet time was over and took a couple of steps away to start grazing.

Vlad smiled. "Apologies for Negru's manners. He has not yet refined them as Regina has."

~~

The twins looked at each other.
"Do we want candies?"
"Yes! Yes we do! Do we want them enough to work?"
"Yes, we will work for the glittery one."
"Her shine brings us happiness!"
They looked at Spectra and said in unison, "We will help!"

"Mhmm" the constable grunted in return before he headed off again

--

Cami just laughed lightly "oh I think he is sweet" she said as she pet him now "wouldn't change a thing about him" she did love those unicorns. She cared deeply about everyone there that's just the kind of person she was.

--

Spectra smiled "well aren't you two delightful today" she praised "see those bags there on the back? Got my canopy in there. Help me set it up?"

Leon watched him go then turned walked back toward his brother's wagon. Maybe he could get some decent tea instead of that dreadful coffee.

~~

Vlad smiled at her. "I must go and prepare. You may spend all the time you wish with these two!" He turned to go then paused. "Is there anything you need, Miss Camila?"

~~

"Canopies!" the twins cheered as if that was the most exciting game they'd ever heard of. They ran to the bag and started carefully getting it out and straightening the folded material. Once settled down to work, they were very good workers. It just took a bit to get them focused.

Back