Conley Brothers

Adanya nodded "Most the time yes..it is too much stress but sometimes I think...would be good to be with people" a statement she thought she would never make

--

She smiled, more progress. Good. She hooked the corner of the tarp to stay then put a string through the bars "just pull on this to close it of you want" she said "I won't be long"

"Everyone needs people sometimes," Vlad agreed with a smile. "Some more than others, but everyone needs at least a little interaction. I do not mind when you say no, but if you ever want to come and sit with us, you are welcome. You and the cats, of course."

~~

Claudius stared at the cord curiously and even batted at it a little. Then he shook his head. What was he doing? So silly, playing with cords. He sat where he could see out but others couldn't see him and watched the world as he waited patiently.

She nodded a little "thank you Vladimir" she said, he was one of the few people she actually liked and not just tolerated

--

He could easily see the odd assortment of people and creatures outside, happy and mingling. Groups had formed similarly to Vlads group across the field. The cook wagon was in the middle and a line for food lead up to it. Camilla joined that line

Vlad nodded then reached out without looking and caught Tam as he tried to crawl forward and pet the closest lion. He gently dragged the pouting twin back and sat him down.

~~

Claudius watched the groups quietly, noting the differences and similarities. Similar people had chosen similar groups, but they were all different in some way.

Camilla was soon at the front of the line, people just letting her cut in without her even having to ask. Everyone seemed fond of her.

She headed back with two plates of food "can you open the cage? My hands are full" there was a little wire he could pull to un latch the door

Claudius hesitated a moment then carefully opened the door. He pushed it open and crouched in the doorway. He leaned forward, almost stepping out, then stopped himself. He sat on the floor, instead, his legs hanging out of the cage. He held out his hands wordlessly for his dinner.

Camilla smiled and handed over his plate, happy he had been willing to open the cage for himself. Any progress was good.

She sat down by the cage again to eat with him "I talked to Felix about getting you you're own wagon" she said "for whenever you're ready"

Claudius paused in picking at his food with his fingers. "A wagon? For me? But I already have a wagon," he said gesturing to the cage.

"Oh." He thought about that. A proper home? How strange. He hadn't had one for a long time. He remembered he had had one, but it was so long ago... Then he looked at Camilla speculatively. "What if I did not want to stay in the circus?

"Then uou are free to go" she said "but I think if might be a good idea to stay..just until you are more comfortable with people and able to look human" she explained "people outside the circus don't like people like us here"

Claudius shifted unhapily, his spines along his back scraping lightly along one of the bars as he did so. "I was human," he rasped. "I was made to look like this. I wish... I wish I could not be like this."

At his statement, something deep inside rebeled. He gasped, the plate dropping from his hand as pain shot through his body, winding through his skin and bones.

Camilla was on her feet in a second, the food put aside. "Claudius! What's wrong?" She came to him, unsure what to do besides place a hand on his arm and tey to sense where the pain stemmed from

Claudius could feel something responding to Camilla's touch. Something? Himself? He couldn't tell. It felt like a second person living in his own skin, and he couldn't help crying out in shock and pain as his fingers twitched, his very cells - or the other thing's cells - responding to Camilla's warmth.

He could take this human! Kill her, devour her, and then use the energy she gave him to take on the rest of this squalled little group! He could rule with fear! And it would all start with-

He shoved away from Camilla, scrambling back with what was left of his strength. "NO!" he snarled. No one, certainly not this parasitic being, was ever going to touch Camilla! Ever!

Camilla drew her hand back, confused "Claudius...what's wrong?" She asked again, clearly concerned and confused "have I hurt you?"

Claudius didn't answer. He focused on the cold metal under him and the cool air brushing over his skin. Here and now. Here and now. He slowly came back to himself, but he could feel the other half still stirring. It felt like he had a viper nest in the pit of his stomach.

"I am fine," he whispered at last. "You did not hurt me."

He didn't know how to respond. He considered not responding at all, but he knew that would likely scare her sorse, so he forced himself to reply. "I am alright. I need time alone. Please."

She nodded a little "ok...I'll come check on you later then.." she closed the door for him and pulled the taro down once more before stepping back, terribly confused and worried

Claudius curled up tightly in his nest, hiding deep in his blankets. What was that? Who was that? "Who am I?" he whispered.

The twins finished helping Vlad and Kazimir cleanup after dinner. "Now we can go see Claudius? Please?"

Vlad looked at Starnacht. "Do you want to go with them?"

Back