Cordova's Second Floor

Faithy

I say I am fine, but I am drowning.
Benefactor
The school has a library on the east side of the school that has four doors leading into it. It is not just on the main floor, but it goes up to the second floor as well. The library houses every book imaginable and has computers stationed all around for easy net connections for research projects. The resource books, magazines, newspaper, and old microfiche articles are all upstairs on both sides of the library. There is a restroom upstairs as well, along with more computers.

There is a large auditorium on the west side of the school that was built to resemble an old Gothic looking church-like auditorium. It has painted glass panes that give the church a little light without having the hanging chandeliers lights on. A wood beam juts out beneath each of the window and perched upon the beam is an angelic figurine. The auditorium is on the main floor and the balcony part is up on the second floor. At the very front of the auditorium is the stage area and like all stages, has a trap door, which leads into the basement. The chairs are theater style chairs that rock ever so slightly. They are black and red, alternating to go with the Gothic feel of the church.

The majority of the second floor consists of classrooms as well as two bathrooms on either side of the hallway.

Camille Villa wasn't one for things like premonitions or psychics. Her father insisted that they descended from gypsies. Carmen looking like a real-life Esmeralda just a bit lighter even convinced people that they were. But Camille would just laugh it off. The gypsies were beautiful and interesting. Camille knew she was, not those things. Though, there were times she just knew things. This morning, she knew something was wrong. She didn't know what it was, but it was evil and she felt uneasy.

"Uh oh, that's your disapproving nose wrinkle." Carmen groaned as she shuffled into the kitchen. "It's too early for your judgmental logic." Carmen slumped into a chair. Camille rolled her eyes, but she noticed that Carmen was wearing her white lace dress and her hair fell in waves across her back. It had been a whole year since Camille saw that dress. She would hold back her snark.

"Then I guess it's too early for pancakes?" Camille smirked as she held a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of Carmen. Sisterly banter was very different than snark. Carmen growled and ripped the plate from Camille. Camille went back to cleaning up her mess from cooking, as Carmen dressed her pancakes with syrup and began eating.

“But seriously, it looks like you were up early.” Camille froze and looked around. She already had two stacks (a dozen) of regular and chocolate chip pancakes. “Something wrong?”

“No, just a weird dream.” Camille shrugged and continued cleaning. It wasn’t a lie. She did have a dream, just full of running, terror, and something dark that ate the dream till all it left was a feeling of dread.

"Camille probably just dreamt of him again," Calista smirked as she skipped into their small kitchen, ready to go. She was dressed simply except for her big silver hoop earrings. Camille jumped and her face heated up.

"No, I didn't!” Camille whipped around to face Calista.

“It’s okay Cami. Lots of girls probably moan his name in their sleep.” Calista winked as she grabbed a mix of pancakes.

“You,” Camille snapped the rag in her hand at Calista. Calista just danced away laughing. “Stop that!” Camille pointed at Calista.

“Actually Calista, Camille would probably be a screamer.” Carmen snickered and Calista laughed. Camille wanted to say something but a flash of her dream came to mind instead.

“CALISTA! CARMEN!” She screamed, but there was only blood.

“Camille, Camille!” Camille blinked back to reality. Both of her sisters were staring at her. “You okay?” Calista asked softly. “We were just joking.”

“I know, and I’m fine.” Camille wiped her hands on her pants. “Just, um, overthinking things.” She smiled at her sisters. “Now hurry up and eat! Mom and Dad will kill us if we’re late for school.”

“UGH!” Carmen groaned. “I do not want to hear the, for years your father and I have had to get up at 4 AM to go to work and not once have we been late, lecture.” Carmen mocked. Camille just rolled her eyes.

“Then hurry up and eat, Princessa!” Camille finished cleaning and made sure her sisters got everything. If she doubled (tripled) check, her sisters didn’t comment on it. They all walked to school, Camille’s dread growing as they neared the school.

“Would mom and dad oppose if we ditched?” Calista blurted out. Camille glanced over to see Calista’s hands shaking.

“Yeah,” Carmen was nodding her head as she gripped Camille’s arm and leaned away from the school. “I, I, d-d-don’t want to,” Camille gripped Carmen’s hand. Last time Carmen was stuttering, she had walked home alone, bruises on her body. Their terror snaked around Camille.

“Dad’s only rule is that we don’t skip school.” Camille sighed. Carmen whimpered but Calista pouted. Her hard green eyes glared at the school. Camille wouldn’t be surprised if they ignored the rule and skipped anyway. “But if you show up, then go to the nurse’s office and went home sick. That’s technically not skipping.” Camille offered. Calista and Carmen gazed at her in hope.

“We, we, could do that?” Carmen muttered softly. Camille nodded.

“Just report to your first class and then go to the nurse’s office. Then Dad won’t be able to say anything.” Camille said with a squeeze.

“You’re a genius, Cami!” Calista squealed as she hugged Camille tightly.

“Well, I’m not the one that skipped 2 grades.” Camille ruffled Calista’s thick wavy hair (the Villa hair). But that seemed to ease her two sisters and they went in. The dread still ate at Camille though. She couldn’t focus on the research for her English paper as she chewed on her pencil mercilessly. So, when the PA system screeched on, she jumped in her seat. When the screams started, fragments of her dream played. Camille prayed that her sisters were safe.

But there was only blood.

Rebekka walked down the hall of the second floor, finding a window she looked out of it. She held back tears of sadness that she was home sick. She longed to smell the pine trees and the ocean salt of Norway again. She tried to stop the tears, but they began to flow. She wiped her face on her flannel shirt and began walking down the hall to the stairs that would lead to the library. Hoping she could sit there in the silence without interruption. She didn't care about getting to class today, which was unusual for her. She then froze, feeling the temperature drop, her barrel chest began to heave as she tried to calm herself. She had that feeling that she was being hunted, it was not unfamiliar as she felt it when they hunted bear once a year. She clenched her jaw and rain I to the library doors. She spotted a pile of bean bags, not sure of any other hiding spot she dove under them, her small body hiding under them perfectly. And she quietly prayed that the feeling would go away.

Back