Creating Natural Environments

Windjammer

The Local 5 Masted Devil Ship
How many of you have about the natural environment of your role plays? If so, what did you come up with, and how did you do so? What real world environments did you take inspiration from?

This is something I enjoy doing. I love considering the biology and climate of fictional places.

You know, I haven't done much with my environment in my stories. I dont know why I haven't. I should work on that.

Could you give me an example?

Aaaah, I love designing the natural environments for my worlds! My first one was a high fantasy, and most of my inspiration honestly came from African flora and fauna as well as various mythologies (for instance, there's gryphons as just a predator endemic to that world), in addition to my local habitat which is generally pretty temperate. I'm also a severe bird nerd, so I must admit that a lot of my newfangled animals possess a lot of avian traits. As I recall, I just...sat down and started making it. I started with what biomes I wanted in certain areas of my world, then added animal life, and from there, it took off! The more I built, the easier it became to add more, and soon enough, there was a whole new world.

In a more recent world (a version of Hell), I started with the people and history, then started making the climate. I wanted it to be barren and harsh, with some aspects of a more typical Hell (like volcanic activity) but also wanted variance. After all, Hell is an entire world: it needs to have different biomes and creatures. The short version of what I came up with is a somewhat earth-like realm that's a kind of medieval-ish dystopia, having survived several apocalypses, since I didn't want to entirely lose the roughness of Hell. Most of the flora and fauna had died out but there are still different ecosystems: there's forestlands, deserts, plains, and mountains, each with different beasties and all. This shaped both the natural lands and the culture. I think that, for this world, I drew a lot of inspiration out of areas like the Gobi Desert and the Mongolian steppes: wide, open, dominated by shrubby vegetation that, although life-supporting, is a difficult area to scrape a life out in.

Back