Akashic Arcana Day 2: The evaluation

Erenkuron66

Eren was restrained to the infirmary bed. Not that they thought it would hold him, but to give them a false sense of safety if nothing else. People mostly left him alone for the most part, nurses only going to give him food and such when they absolutely had to. Eren only sat, different memories running through his mind. Sanctuary, suffering, caring and killing, hugs... and hell. It was more the latter for him, however. Between the visions and flashbacks he suffered from, and the constant pain in his neck, he could barely function. He wondered what was going to happen... would he be given back to the confederacy? He had heard of prisoner exchanges between the old USSR and North America, but did that really happen today, he wondered? He shook his head. If he went back, he knew they would kill him. But he would take as many of them down with him as he could... but for now, there was nothing he could do. He only waited, hoping that the decision of whoever saw over him was careful. He didn't want anything to do with the confederacy... but he didn't want to hurt anyone in the academy. He almost did. If he wouldn't have aimed that shot at himself, what would have happened to that girl? that doctor, the one that examined his physical wound, he said that even with a defensive magic, it would have caused serious injury... but how serious? He shook his head at the thought. It was strange... all these thoughts, but he didn't feel them. He thought about the girl, but felt no remorse for what happened. He thought about the confederacy, but no fear or anger... only what he knew. And that was how to live and how to kill. But he could be so much more than that if he could try... and he wanted to try. That's the whole reason he came to the academy, he thought... to escape the evil and show that man that he was no weapon. He was human... no matter what kind of weapons he could use.

Esme's heels clacked against the floor, it was a quiet day in the hospital. She double checked the papers she was holding, to make sure she had reached the right room of the student. Once she was certain she stepped inside to the small room, her eyes skimmed over her patient strapped down to the bed. These rooms were often bed, anything that could be weaponised was removed. A simple chair was in the room however, Esme seated herself and placed her leather satchel bag down, sorting through her papers in silence, and then taking out a small notepad and pen. Once she was finally adjusted, her green eyes focused on Eren "Good morning, I'm Doctor Carter, I'm one of the few counsellors here in this Academy and I have been assigned to you today, my understanding is you're here for an incident involving a girl" she spoke, writing a few brief notes of what was being said before looking back up to Eren "If you could tell me about that incident, I can then assess the issue and we can try to get you the best care that you need".

Eren was silent through the woman's arrival, not struggling against the restraints, no matter how uncomfortable they were. Though, he knew they couldn't contain him, and so did the staff. Which is why he was somewhat confused by them putting him... here.
Eren sat up in the bed he was held for the moment, thinking. "I've told about it before, but I was walking in the hall with here and..." He sighed. "I'm not sure. I heard... his voice. He told me to kill, but I knew it was wrong, I fought his command with everything in me. But I couldn't stop myself from attacking, so the only thing I could do was bring the fire to myself rather than someone else. It's been happening more and more in recent times, but never have I lost control of my own body like that." He rubbed his neck a bit, leaning back into the raised bed.
He saw another flash, something he had almost been used to at this point. The trees, the snow... and that man in front of him. He shook his head, holding it as best he could. This was new, he thought... a quick migraine, only about 3 seconds, but the pain in that time... for that moment, it was unbearable. "Strange... I've been having these flashes, the same scene... but that headache, it was only there for a moment, but it was terrible... what the hell..." He shook his head, almost forgetting the woman was in the room for a moment, before snapping back to reality, looking back at her. "My bad..." He leaned back on the bed. "I have been seeing this setting... a forest, covered in snow. I held a rifle in my hands, and in front of me was-" He froze for a moment, he saw the man, again, but his name... it almost vanished from his mind. "I don't remember... it was a man, someone in the Confederate military..." He looked down, not sure if he should give her the story behind the man. He thought, perhaps, it would be better for another time. That story would bring nothing but hate from the rest of the school, even more than already was there for him. So, for now, he stayed silent on the matter, but if she did press on the matter... he would have to tell her, and the whole school would know about his past, and that was the scariest thing about this whole endeavor for him.

Esme scribbled down brief notes of what Eren was saying, nodding her head every now and then. She glanced up at him once he finished speaking, she had dealt with a few military people before that had some dealing with the Confederate military in some way. "Voices or a singular voice Eren?" she questioned, resting her pen on the notepad momentarily. It was fairly normal for students with a background from the military to experience flashbacks, and in some cases voices, but never normally a singular voice, she could possibly diagnose him with PTSD but she needed a more in-depth look at this mans personality.

Esme leaned back in her seat, she wasn't exactly concerned, being able to hold her own against these patients, but she felt he lacked a sense of remorse for the woman he injured, however, his sense of knowing that killing was wrong made her doubt that suspicion.

"Only one," Eren only stated. He could still remember the voice clear as day. Eren looked down, holding his head up with one hand. "H... It has been speaking to me for years. I can't understand why, but it has always directed me. I've always taken the opposite path of what it tells me, but nevertheless, it's tried to manipulate me for a long time..." Eren thought for a moment, unsure of how to explain. "When I was in the Chinese federation, I made my way from the north to Shanghai, and all the way the voice was telling me to turn back, and to return to the confederacy. But I knew what would happen if I did... they'd have killed me on the spot."

Eren looked up, seeing the man's face again. His name, almost in a flash, returned to him.
"Romanov..."
Eren tensed up, sighing as he looked down. "What are your rules about doctor-patient confidentiality, if I may ask?" He looked over to her, knowing that what he said next, depending on her response, could very well decide his future at the academy. But he needed to tell someone about his experience, and who knows... maybe this woman could help if she heard the background behind his mind.

Esme scribbled down some more notes, she crossed out PTSD as a possible diagnosis, Bipolar perhaps? her eyes narrowed as she noticed the male tense up, she flicked her hair back over her shoulder and shrugged "It depends, if you're going to be a threat to the school then I need to tell my team, if not we will rehabilitate you, give you some medication, weekly therapy, that kind of stuff really" she spoke leaning back in her seat "However I will say, if you won't shoot up the school and we can bring the danger level down I'm willing to keep it strictly confidential" she spoke in a firm tone.

Eren nodded. "Well, I will do nothing intentionally, I can promise that. But being a threat... that may be something I cannot stop."
Eren sighed. He had to tell her, whether it would end his chance at a normal life or not.
"When I was 12, I was forced to kill my father. He was attacking my mother and had I not killed him, he would have done the same to her. But, my attempt to protect her was in vain, as later that same day, hung herself, leaving me an orphan. I believe that was the day my childhood truly ended."
He wiped his face, sighing again. He was a bit short on breath, everything running though his mind. "December of that year, I was adopted. But not by a family, or by a parent... but by a military leader... And for 2 weeks, I felt more like a prisoner than an adopted child." He leaned back and tried to calm down, the most emotion he had shown in a long time, all flowing out. "I only had one person who I would have called a friend, and after those 2 weeks, we were seperated. Then... the experiments started."

Eren turned his back to the woman, dropping the hoodie he wore around his arms, and showing a scar on the nape of his neck, surrounded by small black roots going down into his spine. "The confederacy used me as a test. I was a prototype of some new weapon they have, it was supposed to impose their will on a subject, and almost be an incognito humonculis..." Eren looked down. "I'm their only prototype, and without me they cannot perfect their device." Eren took a breath. "But they didn't perfect the control device. I was able to think on my own and escape, destroying all research for such a device upon my exit. But the device... probably is the cause for the voice. I never gave much thought into it, but now that my actions are in question, I remembered the control device..." He shook his head. "I don't know how I never saw it before now..."

Esme examined the small scar on the back of his neck. For the first time in a while, she was surprised, she had never come across an experimental being before, she had heard of them, perfect soldiers built for combat. But Esme had never come across one before. She tapped her lower lip with the end of her pen as she listened to his story.

"Say this voice of yours . . . you said it told you to kill if it is related to the military and some kind of control device why would it command you to kill students?" she asked curiously. After writing down his history she looked back up to him again "I believe we can help you, my issue is I cannot allow you to roam school grounds with a voice demanding that you kill, you've displayed a moral compass of sorts, but you need further evaluation. You can complete your studies privately but I do not feel it's safe for you to be on school grounds until we sort out this voice of yours, if we can relate it back to a control device then we can solve that as a school, if it's not a control device then that's even better, we can get you the appropriate care. I would love to offer you that care now, however a voice in your head is one thing and a voice from a device is another"

Eren nodded, thinking about the woman's conclusion. "Private studying... " He thought about her question for a moment. "The man who IS talking to me... I don't think he wants me here. He wants me back in the confederacy, because without me, his device is useless. And perhaps he wants to do more with it, I'm not sure..." Eren nodded, thinking. "If it is what you think is best, I'll agree." Eren pulled his hoodie back on, the hood covering up the scar. "So, what am I to do at this point?" Eren was almost lost, he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do now, whether the student government would decide his fate or her tests would decide. He looked back at the woman, waiting for her decision on what he would be doing.

Esme folded her hands together and thought for a moment, before making a decision "For now . . . I want you to remain here, I am going to have some discussions with the school government. I assume they will want to sort out this voice issue and make your safety a priority. Once they make a decision on where were we go as far as this voice is concerned I will visit you again, if this voice is from the Confederacy the situation will be a complicated one but I'm sure the Academy is prepared to deal with this appropriately" she spoke before standing "When I do visit you again, I'm hoping it will be a simple matter, and we can resolve this quickly. For now, we just have to find out if this is a mental health issue or a military one" Esme nodded her head and made her exit.

She shoved her notepad back into her bag and headed towards her office. Knowing she was going to have to make quite a few phone calls to the school about what she had just heard.

Eren nodded, looking down. This had become the nail in the coffin for him, he thought. Now his burden was passed to another group, from the PACT government to the smaller academy one. It felt like he was thrown from person to person, the problem always arising that they could not settle, so away he went to the next person. However, perhaps this would not be a bad thing. Perhaps somehow, some way, they could free him of this voice, or at least put it at bay to keep him from acting out of his own free will. But whatever happened, Eren had to be ready. It felt like this was all coming to a crossroads, and Eren's fate would soon be in his own hands.

Back