[DC Fanfic] Gods Among Men

Chapter 5: Justice For All?

"She was there! The Batwoman was there, she didn't stick around to help that girl." A man shouted at a TV camera, a large crowd of protesters gathered at Gotham's city hall early in the morning.

People were angry, tensions were high. The only thing stopping the protests from becoming violent was the large presence of GCPD officers scattered all over the area.

"Excuse me. Let me through." A redheaded woman said, pushing through the sea of people to reach the steps of city hall. "Is there anyone that was there last night?" The woman asked loudly, "Yeah! Back here!" A young man shouted, "Let him through." The woman said.

"What's your name?" The woman asked as the young man made his way up, "Tye Longshadow." The young man said, finally stepping up. "I'm Victoria Vale, Gotham Gazette. What can you tell me about what happened?" Victoria asked Tye, "I can tell you that the Batwoman and Batman don't really care about the rest of us." Tye said.

"The Justice League is safe up in their watchtower. They keep letting people like the Joker run free. They manipulate the government to avoid the death sentence for people like him." Tye said, it was clear that he had been wanting to say those words for a long time.

Heroes never came down to fight the crime in Texas. They didn't give back to people like him. The poor, the ethnic. Superman was all-powerful white guy and was seen as America's great hope. That didn't sit well with Tye.

It was his people who lost their land.

"They're puppets for the corrupt government!" Tye yelled, the protesters cheering along with him. "Okay, that's enough, kid." Victoria said, "No, that isn't enough. Why do we keep letting them lie to us?" Tye asked, "Superman is giving his speech in a few hours."

"He's just going to keep telling us everything is okay. But, it's not okay if the freakin' Justice League can pick and choose when they want to be heroes and how." Tye said, opening his mouth to say more. Before he could get another word out Asami and Jaime were pulling the young man away from the crowd.

"Get off of me." Tye said, shaking the two off. "What are you doing?" Jaime asked, "Getting some justice for that girl." Tye answered, "Deadshot killed her, not Batwoman or the Justice League." Asami told Tye.

"But they leave us to suffer. Stop pretending like the Justice League hasn't been doing this for years." Tye said to the two. "They're too busy with their politics and bringing aliens here to worry about guys like Deadshot, or put an end to guys like the Joker." Tye said, "Man, Superman alone could clean up the eastern seaboard. But, he doesn't. Do you know why?" Tye asked his friends.

"I don't know, dude." Jaime said, "But, they're the good guys. They're doing something." Jaime told his friend, "No, the firefighters here are doing something. The cops. The paramedics and doctors that tried to save that girl. If Batwoman had just killed Deadshot when she had the chance..."

"And what would that do?" Jaime asked, "Would it suddenly stop all the crime down there?" Jaime asked, "It wouldn't, hermano. You can't blame the people trying to help for what's wrong with people like that. We gotta do our part. Superpowers or not." Jaime said.

"Whatever." Tye said, walking away from Jaime and Asami. "Where are you going?" Asami asked, "To mind my damn business. Leave me alone." Tye answered.

Jaime let out a quiet sigh. Tye was always angry, always full of passion. Always volatile. Jaime hated seeing his friend this way.

"We're going to miss class. We should go." Asami told Jaime, pulling the young man along back towards the crowd of protesters. It took awhile and some hard shoving but the two eventually made it out to the sidewalk, both heading for Asami's car.

"Reyes, Koizumi." A woman called out, getting Jaime and Asami's attention. The two turned to see Ms. Bertinelli approaching them, the woman dressed in a black pantsuit. "Ms. Bertinelli, a surprise to see you here." Jaime said, "We were just on our way to the campus." Asami added.

"No need. Class is cancelled for a few days while I handle some family issues." Ms. Bertinelli told her students, "Part of my family issues involve me coming here to meet the mayor and the District Attorney. Telling them everything I know about the Bertinelli family and their deep ties to Stephano Mandragora." She explained.

"Ah, that's rough." Jaime said, "I couldn't imagine." He added, "Yeah. Anyways, you two should head hope. Half the people here reek of booze. Alcohol and tension you can cut with a knife tend to create explosive situations." The University teacher told Jaime and Asami.

"Yeah, we should go, Jaime." Asami said, pulling her friend along towards the car. "We'll see you around, Ms. Bertinelli." Asami called out, Jaime waving to his favorite teacher.

"You make it really obvious." Asami told Jaime, "You're just jealous." Jaime retorted, casting a final glance to Ms. Bertinelli as she walked towards the crowd of protesters.

Ms. Bertinelli was determined, forcing her way through the angry mob to get to the steps of the government building. She cast a glance at the people of Gotham, they were angry and hurt. They had every right to be.

Putting her family's past behind her was more important than sharing in the anger that the denizens of Gothams felt at the moment. Ms. Bertinelli turned from the crowd, making her way into the government.

She jumped through every hoop she had to on her way in calmly and without complaint. What it lead to was worth it. All that she did couldn't be for nothing in the end.

"Right this way, Ms. Bertinelli." A suited man told the woman, leading her up a staircase, through door after door, down hall after hall until finally they reached the mayor's office.

"He'll see you." The man told Ms. Bertinelli, pushing the office door open for her.

"Helena, it's nice to see you again, even under these circumstances." The mayor said. He was an older man, tall, and well-built despite possibly being in his early 60s. His physique giving off the impression that he was once a soldier, but still kept as fit as your average marine.

"Shall we get down to business? Right some wrongs?"

Chapter 6: Family Ties

"Mayor Cassidy." Helena said to the older man, her eyes moving to focus on several other men and women in the room. Half of them donning suits and ties, the others in trench coats and ties. Federal and local law enforcement working together.

"Come now, everyone introduce yourselves." The mayor said, gesturing the men over towards Helena. The first man to step up was one of the men wearing a suit.

He was a Caucasian man and had to be about Helena's age, maybe a little older, dark brown hair on his head and the look of a man who'd been in the game for years.

"Special Agent Philip Roarke, FBI." The man introduced himself, "These are my colleagues, Agent Cameron Chase, Special Agents Ishido Maad and Donald Fite, and finally Agent Kate Spencer." He said, gesturing to each of the people respectively as he named them.

The first, Cameron, was a Caucasian woman with blonde hair who stood at about average height, much shorter than the taller Helena was. She wore a black windbreaker to combat the cold fall air outside, her badge and gun visible at her waist.

The second agent, Ishido, was a Japanese man in his mid-30s. The expression his face was devoid of any real emotion, he was serious. There were things to be done, it was clear he didn't want to waste his time.

Then came the physically imposing Donald Fite. He was an African-American man in his early to mid-40s with a clean shaven head sporting a bushy Van Dyke-styled beard and mustache. The agent was a brick wall of a man, wide in frame and he towered over the others in the room.

He was the bruiser and unlike the other agents he donned an off-white suit.

Finally came Agent Kate Spencer. She was one of the people in room wearing a trench coat, and she appeared to be the fish out of water. She was either new to the team or new to doing assignments like the one she was on.

She was a Caucasian woman as well, black hair tied into a single French braid. While such hairstyles weren't uncommon, Helena found it odd. You didn't see that unless someone was expecting a fight.

But, then again they were in Gotham city.

"And the locals?" Helena asked, gesturing to the others in the room. Despite their trench coats one could make out their badges, GCPD. "Commissioner James Gordon." One of the men said to Helena. He was a tall older man, just as physically fit as the mayor was, maybe even more so.

He sported a thick white mustache, glasses and equally white hair combed back.

"This is one of my most decorated, if not... brash, detectives, Harvey Bullock." Gordon said, gesturing to a stout detective in a grey trench coat with a matching fedora. The look on the man's face was that of someone perpetually angry or constipated.

"We should get down to business." Helena said, adjusting the glasses she wore as they slid down her nose. "Yeah, let's get to it." The Mayor said, "A few years back we caught Stephano Mandragora. Some say the Batman or the Huntress were involved in that, some say both, either way we've got the bastard." The Mayor continued.

"After years of his sleazy lawyers, and prosecutors too afraid to take the case after what happened with Harvey Dent, we can finally move on with the trial." The Mayor told Helena, "We want you to take the stand against Mandragora and Tobias Whale." Agent Roarke added.

Helena was silent for a moment, looking between the assorted law enforcement and Mayor Cassidy. "You needed all of you in here to tell me that?" She asked, "I'll take the stand, just tell me what else is going on here. I don't like being left in the dark." Helena informed the group.

"Whale has put a bounty on your head, The Batman's head, The Huntress' head, and your family. Extended or not. That includes former associates, bodyguards, cousins, maids. He wants every trace of the Bertinelli family and those who can tie him directly to your father's murder dead and gone." Gordon explained.

"Interpol's already protecting your mother in Sicily." Donald added, trying to give Helena some sort of peace of mind. The woman just stood silently once again, the federal agents and detectives not making a sound.

It wasn't the kind of news anyone wanted to hear. That a powerful crime lord has a put a bounty on your head to save his skin. Not to mention all of the people who'd be attracted to the idea of killing Batman or The Huntress for money. People like Deathstroke, or Copperhead.

"We're going to be moving you to a hotel under armed guard. The QRT will be on standby, as well as several of our detectives from the MCU." Gordon told Helena, "And, I'll have Spencer and Chase living with you." Roarke added, "Better a pair of female eyes on you than male eyes, right?" He asked.

Helena didn't respond with words, she just shrugged.

"Alright, let my students as much as you can about why I won't be around for awhile. Tell them that I want them to study the Holiday case and then write an essay or oral report on it. There are no wrong answers, but I will award grades based on how well they're done." Helena said.
"Can we go now?" She asked.

Everyone was stunned at how well she was taking what she'd heard. Maybe she was just in shock. Or maybe she was used to having someone wanting to kill her being who she was.

Being who they didn't know she was.

"We'll be ready to go in a moment." Roarke said, reaching into his jacket at the faint buzzing of a cellphone. The rest of his team did the same, simultaneously removing their cellphones and glancing at the messages they had received.

"Shit." Roarke said, "What is it?" Mayor Cassidy asked, "Deathstroke's shown up in NYC. Took out Firestorm, Multiplex and Static on his own. The Titans are on the scene, but the Director wants us down there too. Apparently there's another Killer Frost hanging around too." Roarke explained.

The special agent headed for the exit, gesturing his team along. "Fite, Maad, come with me. Spender, Chase, take care of Ms. Bertinelli and make sure she stays safe." Roarke ordered, Cameron nodding as Fite and Maad followed behind Roarke.

"What the hell is going on?" Cassidy asked, "Something big." Gordon answered, "I'm assigning security detail to you." Gordon told the mayor, "Assign some to yourself as well, James. You've made a lot of enemies and few friends. The Bat can't always be there." Cassidy warned.

"We should go." Cameron said to Helena, guiding the woman towards the exit with Spencer in tow.

Chapter 7: Birds Of A Feather

"All clear." A GCPD beat cop said as he patrolled the streets outside of a Gotham Heights hotel, nodding to another officer that passed by. As dusk fell on the city the threat of a mob hitmen and assassins increased. It was a lot harder to see in the dark.

"It's all clear outside. The roof too." Kate said to Cameron, the two sharing a room with the woman they were charged to protect, Helena Bertinelli. All three women weren't enjoying the circumstances that lead to their anti-social slumber party.

"The night's still young." Helena said, sprawled out on her bed with her eyes on a TV just across the room. "My assassin might be on their way, or they might be here already." She said, "They aren't. If they are, if they show up, we can handle them." Cameron assured Helena.

"You two think you can take on people like Deadshot? Professional assassins from all over the eastern seaboard? Some from overseas? You have to excuse me if I'm a little skeptical." Helena said, "More than a little, actually." She added.

Cameron was going to speak up and defend her team until the phone rang, it wasn't meant to. "Kate." Cameron said, heading for the phone as Kate lifted her walkie-talkie. "This is agent Kate Spencer, we're getting a phone call, can we get anyone into the phone lines for a recording?" Kate asked.

"Roger that, we're already in the lines, we'll tap into the line to your room. Answer the phone." A man on the other end of the radio said, "Go." Kate said to Cameron, the latter quickly tapping a button on the phone that would put it on speaker.

"Who is this?" Cameron asked, "That's the question, isn't it? Who is this? What do you want? How did you get this number? How do you now what room we're in?" A man on the other end of the line said to Cameron, the voice catching Helena's attention. It was the first thing that got her to react all day.

"Those are just the questions you'll ask me." The man continued, "You're asking yourself if I might be a gangster, an assassin, a hitman. If I'm sending anyone your way. If I'm there and ready to put all three of you lovely ladies on ice. The reality is that I'm on your side and there's a walking crocodile man on his way through the basement." The man warned.

"What?" Kate asked, "And Lady Vic's on her way. Traveled all the way from Bludhaven just for Ms. Bertinelli. Well, and the millions of dollars Tobias Whale's put on her head. Silk Sister, though I heard she goes by White Canary now. Detonator is at the front door."

Like clockwork there was an explosion that shook the building, "We've got trouble. QRT team moving to respond, backup is on the way." A voice yelled through Kate's walkie-talkie, "You should head to the stairs and go down, I've got some people coming to help you." The man on the phone told the three women.

"White Canary's in the hall. Go. Now!"

"Ah... fuck it." Cameron said, scrambling to grab her windbreaker and head for the exit. "Come on." Cameron called out to the other two women before pulling the room's door open.

Several police officers were out in the hall, weapons drawn on an Asian woman with black hair tied into a single French-braid dressed in a white bodysuit, white boots, a white mask over her mouth and an equally white trenchcoat.

"That's her?" Kate asked, "Yeah, that's her." Helena answered, stepping out into the hall calmly to find the staircase. The others followed behind her, leaving the GCPD officers to hold off White Canary.

"One of these doors has to be the way out." Kate said, checking every door that didn't lead to a room. "Found it." Cameron said, pushing a door open that lead out to a spiral staircase. The sound of gunfire resonating from down the hall, "I guess she made her move." Kate said, pushing Helena out onto the staircase.

"Down we go." Cameron said, following Kate and Helena down a few flights of stairs. The women didn't get far when something burst through a wall near the bottom floor. "What the hell was that? Not a bomb?" Cameron said, leaning over the railing to see what was going on.

Helena followed suit, Kate taking a peek as well. They had to at least see who, or what, they were up against.

"Throw down the little Italian girl and I'll be on my way!" Shouted a hulking figure at the bottom of the staircase. The man stood at roughly seven feet, he was massive and muscular. His skin reptilian and grey. Despite this the man wore a pair of brown slacks and a white tanktop.

This was a man who just happened to look like the beast he was on the inside.

"And that would be...?" Kate asked, "Waylon Jones, also known as Killer Croc." Cameron answered, "Right now he's a problem. We should head to the roof. GCPD helicopters should be on the scene." Cameron informed the women, gesturing for them to follow as she began back up the staircase.

"They're all showing up at the same time. You think they're working together?" Kate asked, "Unlikely. Or, not purposely." Cameron answered, "White Canary isn't known to work with others. Jones? Maybe, he and Detonator could be launching a two pronged attack." Cameron theorized.

"If so, Jones is going to follow us up while his partner keeps the GCPD distracted." Camera added, slamming her body into the door to the roof. It flew open and the three women rushed out.

Littered across the rooftop were the bodies of several dead police officers, a few of them with arrows in their chests, others with cuts and stab wounds.

Cameron's eyes fell on several men and women dressed in black clothing, masks, hoods, and light armor akin to ninjas. Many of them even carried blades and other weapons that one would attribute to ninjas.

At the forefront of the group of apparent ninja assassins was a man donning similar clothing, unlike the others he carried a black bow and a quiver.

"Merlyn...?" Huntress asked herself, "You know who this guy is?" Kate asked, drawing her pistol slowly. "Move!" Cameron yelled, drawing her own pistol and opening fire on the black clad assassins. Kate followed suit, moving for cover as she fired her weapon.

The sound of Killer Croc rampaging up the staircase deterred Helena from going back, an arrow slamming down near her feet prompting her to run.

As bodies fell, arrows and bullets exchanged, Helena ran towards the end of the roof. Glancing back to see Killer Croc slamming through the doorway, the beastly man immediately rushing towards Helena.

Helena dived from the roof, Killer Croc diving after her. "I got you!" He exclaimed victoriously, reaching out for the woman as they were in freefall.

Suddenly a black snatched Helena from the air before Killer Croc could get a hand on her, leaving the deformed man to continue falling on his own. "Bullshit!" He yelled, slamming down hard into the street.

Helena and her savior glided towards a rooftop, Helena dropping down to land on her feet seconds before her rescuer did the same.

"Thanks for the assist, Batbabe." Helena said, her savior revealing their identity as the Batwoman.

"Dinah's got your costume. Got it from Bruce so we didn't have to touch your apartment." The Batwoman told Helena, "Good, let's go. The night's still young." Helena said.

Chapter 8: The Flock's Together

"This way." Batwoman called out to Helena from down a hallway, standing near an open door. "You could try waiting for me. You're a lot faster than you used to be." Helena said, jogging down the hall towards her friend.

The two women stepped outside into an alley, a bag being tossed Helena's way and subsequently caught. "Put it on. We've got work to do." A woman said to Helena, "Nice to see you too, Dinah." Helena said to the new woman.

She was Caucasian woman with blonde hair, she donned a black unitard, black boots, and a black leather jacket. The black woman was leaning against a motorcycle, seemingly uninterested in what was going on nearby.

"We going to take down the assassins?" Helena asked, stripping out of the clothes she wore in favor of the clothing in the bag she was given. "You don't have to change right here, at least." The blonde woman told Helena, "Is the Black Canary afraid of a little nudity?" Helena asked.

"No." Black Canary answered,"Anyways, yeah, but we'll need to draw them out. Bring them to us. The Question's already on the case, he's doing that thing he does to piss of criminals." She said, "Being himself?" Batwoman asked, "Yeah, that thing." Black Canary answered.

"Your counterpart came for me too. The White Canary." Helena said, "Let's hope she doesn't find me. I like being alive, or at least alive with all of my limbs." Black Canary said, "What do you think?" Helena asked, showing off the costume she wore.

It was a deep purple form-fitting jumpsuit, the woman donning a black leather jacket and black boots to go along with it. The costume finished with a black domino mask over Helena's eyes.

"The Huntress is back. And we should go." Batwoman said, "She's right. Let's go." Black Canary told Helena, The Huntress, "We've got work to do." She told Huntress, tossing her a motorcycle helmet before grabbing one for herself.

"What about Ka-..." Huntress paused, looking for the Batwoman. She was nowhere to be found. "Does everyone pick up that habit?" Black Canary asked, Huntress climbing onto the motorcycle with her. "It's part of the training, actually." Huntress joked, moments before Black Canary sped off out of the alley.

As the trio of costumed women left, Cameron and Kate still had their hands full on the rooftop of the Gotham Height's hotel. The bodies of dead League of Assassins acolytes scattered across the rooftop now, even the assassins no match for the two FBI agents.

"We can't take down Merlyn." Cameron said, apparently admitting defeat early. She and Kate were sitting with their backs against an electrical box. It was the only thing Merlyn's arrows wouldn't be able to penetrate due to it's thickness.

"Come on, we can take him out if we do it right." Kate said, a few spotlights shining on the roof as police and news helicopters began to approach the scene.

"Our best bet is to head for the exit and take a loss, Spencer." Cameron said, "If we're going to fail, let's live to face the Director. It's much easier to have a second chance if we aren't in bags next time he sees us." Cameron told her partner, "Yeah, or stuffed in a fridge." Kate added.

"We move at the same time. We shoot at the same time, when we run for the stairs." Cameron said, "On three. One... two... three!"

The women jumped out from behind their cover, raising their weapons where Merlyn had stood. But, he wasn't there anymore.

"The fuck?" Cameron asked, "Maybe he got spooked when the choppers showed up. Let's flag one down and go." Kate said, "Good idea." Cameron responded, stepping forward and waving towards a GCPD helicopter.

"I'm getting on the horn." Kate told her partner, whipping out her radio. "This is Spencer, any eyes on Bertinelli?" She asked, "Uh... we spotted Bertinelli heading towards the East End. Men in suits took her, some units are in pursuit." A man responded, "Good, we're on our way." Kate told him.

She began to approach Cameron, a helicopter coming to land to pick up the two. "Got money for the fare?" Cameron joked, waiting for the helicopter to land before she approached. Kate was in tow, both women climbing into the vehicle. "They said Bertinelli was being taken to the East End." Cameron told the pilot.

"Two-Face?" He asked, "Or, Black Mask." Cameron answered, strapping herself into a seat. She looked over towards Kate, the other agent giving Cameron a thumbs up once she strapped herself in. "We're good to go. Take us up." Cameron said to the pilot, the helicopter beginning it's ascent.

Kate looked down at the city, watching as it slowly began to turn to chaos. The bounty on Bertinelli seemed to be bringing everyone out to play, the GCPD and Gotham's heroes had a lot to deal with.

"What the hell is going on?" Kate asked, "Tensions are high. You saw city hall." Cameron said, "People are probably rioting and looting thanks to that bounty. It's brought the worst of the worst out tonight." Cameron told her partner, glancing out at what had the potential to become a full-scale riot.

"We're approaching the East End." The pilot said, "Spotlight on." He added, flipping a switch. The helicopter's spotlight shined down on Gotham's East End district, looters and criminals scattering like roaches.

"Did you see anyone on that roof back there that wasn't dead or us when you came?" Cameron asked the pilot, "Agent Chase?" Kate asked, looking towards her partner. "Merlyn just disappeared, it's bugging me." Cameron explained, "He probably didn't want to take a risk and he just left." Kate said.

"Or, maybe he's close." A distorted voice said, the black clad archer known as Merlyn reached up and grabbed Kate. Merlyn pulled himself into the helicopter, a dagger quickly produced and just as quickly used to cut Kate out of her straps. "It's a long fall." He said, tossing the woman from the helicopter.

The pilot reached down to grab his gun, Merlyn reacting quickly and throwing the dagger into the back of the pilot's head. "I'm guessing you can't fly a plane?" Merlyn asked Cameron, the woman in the midst of undoing her straps.

"I barely got my driver's license." Cameron joked despite the grave situation, the helicopter was going straight down towards the outskirts of the East End.

Merlyn tossed a hard punch at the woman's jaw, knocking her unconscious instantly. Satisfied with his work the assassin braced himself, preparing to jump from the helicopter when he had the chance.

"Bows and arrows suck!" Kate shouted, attempting to pull herself back into the helicopter. "I should have made sure I saw you fall." Merlyn said, turning towards the woman.

"Yeah. You should have." Kate responded, drawing her pistol with one hand and aiming it up at Merlyn. The woman fired off several shots, each striking and sending the man stumbling back until he eventually tumbled out of the crashing helicopter.

Kate threw herself into the aircraft, struggling to get towards Cameron. The ground was fast approaching, time was up.

"Fuck."

Chapter 9: Hunters & Huntresses

Kate gasped for air, suddenly awakening in the burning wreckage that she figured would be her final resting place if she didn't act fast. She could feel the heat from the fire that had begun to burn, struggling in vain to pull herself out of the helicopter.

She called out, but she could barely hear the sound of her own voice. She panicked, a pain shooting through her legs up to her torso where it settled. Kate looked down, warm blood leaking from her abdomen.

Kate turned to look for Cameron, her partner still strapped in and barely conscious. "Cameron!" Kate called out, "Cameron, wake up! We're going to die if we don't get out." Kate said, wincing as she tried to move her legs. "Fuck." She muttered to herself.

The FBI agent laid her head down, deciding to accept her inevitable death. One couldn't live forever, plus she was going out knowing that she killed the infamous Merlyn. The Green Arrow, The Batman, they couldn't say the same. Outshone by a woman with a gun.

The wail of sirens on approach to the wreckage brought hope to Cameron, but with the rioting and criminals in the streets it seemed like wishful thinking that they'd arrive in time.

Kate closed her eyes, "Cameron!" She shouted, trying to give her partner a chance to put distance between herself and the wreckage. Someone had to make it out alive. If not Kate, it would be Cameron.

As she opened her mouth to shout again Kate felt a hand on her ankle, she sat up quickly to see who, or what, had grabbed her. She saw the Huntress, the vigilante climbing into the damaged helicopter to help Kate. "Come on." The Huntress said as she grabbed hold of Kate's body.

"Get Cameron first." Kate told the woman, "We have enough time." The Huntress informed Kate, pulling the woman from the wreckage carefully. "Don't go anywhere." The Huntress ordered as she sat Kate down against a building, "Easy enough." Kate responded.

"Pretty sure I'm dying and I'm getting really lightheaded." Kate said, but she wasn't sure just how much she was joking about the former. "Go." She said as the Huntress rushed to the other side of helicopter.

Firetrucks, police cars, and a few ambulances speeding towards the scene. The cavalry had arrived. Kate couldn't help but think they only showed up because it was police helicopter that went down. She had a feeling they wouldn't have shown up so quickly if a resident of the East End was hurt.

"Hey!" Huntress called out to Cameron, lowering herself enough to get to the woman. "Wake up." The vigilante said, lightly slapping Cameron in hopes of getting her to focus.

The Huntress dug into a pouch on her utility belt, producing a small army knife. She began cutting into the straps that held Cameron in place. The straps gave way, allowing Huntress to pull the FBI agent out of the helicopter carefully. Cameron was regaining consciousness, but was still clearly out of it.

Paramedics were tending to Kate, others coming to take Cameron from the Huntress.

"What happened?" Huntress asked, approaching Kate as paramedics were lifting her onto a stretcher. "Merlyn, that archer guy, he happened." Kate answered, "After Bertinelli got away he decided to come after us. Probably thought we knew where she was." Kate continued.

"Where is he now?" The Huntress asked, noting that Merlyn's body was nowhere to be found. "Dead as far as I know. Shot him a few times and he fell out of the chopper." Kate told the Huntress, "Thanks." Huntress responded, giving Kate respectful nod before she turned to walk away.

"Canary, Merlyn might be at large in the East End. Watch out." Huntress said as she disappeared down an alleyway, quick to put distance between herself and the scene of the helicopter crash. The news would be on it's way, the last thing she needed was her face everywhere.

Chances are someone who knew Helena Bertinelli well-enough would easily notice she was the Huntress.

"Got it. The Question's in trouble. Pissing off the Gotham mob worked. Like, it really worked a lot." Black Canary said, her voice transmitting to the Huntress through an earpiece. "Need me?" Huntress asked, "Soon, I think. We're going to lead Black Mask's goons into an ambush." Black Canary answered.

"Someone new's been messing with his operations, apparently. Some guy in a red mask." Black Canary told the Huntress, "I bet he has a lame name. The Red Menace. Or the Crimson Skull." The Huntress joked.

The faint whisper of an arrow breaking the sound barrier caught Helena's ear as it flew by her face, prompting the woman to turn quickly. In a matter of seconds she had her crossbows in hand and ready for combat.

"Come on, archer. Fight me like a man." The Huntress taunted, scanning the rooftops and shadows for her enemy. She had learned about Merlyn and the League Of Assassins from her mentor, they struck from the shadows and disappeared just as quickly.

Half of their strategy was a deadly mind game that you couldn't afford to lose. Helena planned on taking home the gold today.

"Like a man it is."

The Huntress turned towards the voice, eyes falling on Merlyn. The man didn't seem at all fazed by being shot and falling out of a helicopter. Helena wasn't surprised, she'd seen Batman die and still win the day. Merlyn was in a league of his own, to underestimate him was certain death.

"Shall we consider this a duel?" Merlyn asked, pulling an arrow from his quiver. "We shall." Huntress answered, taking in a deep breath. "On three." Merlyn told her.

The Huntress faced down her adversary, undaunted by his reputation or the fact that he could very well be the death of the hero.

"One..." Merlyn began, readying his arrow at his bowstrings. "Two." He continued, his stance becoming less rigid and more relaxed. The master archer and assassin was ready to bring an end to another would-be hero.

"Three."

Merlyn raised his bow, simultaneously the Huntress aimed her crossbows. In a matter of seconds the Huntress fired, her bolts flying towards Merlyn.

The man spun away from the bolts, firing his own arrow. The Huntress attempted to dodge the arrow, but she was too slow and it eventually slammed into her shoulder.

Both crossbows dropping as she fell to a knee, the heroine was badly wounded. Blood seeping through her leather coat and coating the gloved hand she was trying to stop the blood with.

"You need better aim." Merlyn said, drawing another arrow from his quiver. The master archer slowly approaching the Huntress with cruel intentions. He readied his arrow, raising his bow and aiming at the Huntress' face.

"My aim was fine." The heroine informed Merlyn, backhanding the man's bow as she rose to her feet. He released his arrow up into the air, using his now free hand to attempt to punch the Huntress out cold.

The Huntress ducked the punch, yanking Merlyn's arrow from her shoulder and as she rose once again the heroine jabbed the bloody arrow into Merlyn's side. The man reeled in pain, Huntress keeping up her assault by aiming a kick at Merlyn's chest.

The man fell back, slamming into a wall.

"Can't drag this out." The Huntress said, opting to flee the scene instead of take her chances with Merlyn while was she ill-prepared to fight him. The heroine jogged down the alley, ducking into an old store to lick her wounds.

"Canary, you might have to play whack-a-mobster without me."

"Already on it. I'll tell you about it later." Black Canary responded.

"I hope he cleans those arrows..." The Huntress muttered, pressing her back against and then sliding down to the floor. "I better not need a tetanus shot..."

Chapter 10: Ransom

30 Minutes Earlier...

"The city's going to hell and we're here guarding this bitch?" A man asked another, both men standing outside of a dilapidated warehouse in Gotham's East End. "Yeah, I mean, I get it, Black Mask wants us to keep this bitch under a microscope. You know she's apparently Superman's thing on the side, right?" The other man said.

"Hot dog down a hallway." His friend joked, the two men laughing loudly. Unbeknownst to them they were being watched. The Question peering at the men and the warehouse through a pair of binoculars from a fire escape nearby. The faceless vigilante lowered the binoculars, digging into his blue trench coat in search of something.

After a moment the vigilante pulled a cellphone from his coat, quickly dialing a number and bringing the phone up to his ear.

"Vic?" A woman on the end of the line asked, "Who else?" The Question asked, "Listen, Renee, I found Lois Lane. She's been kidnapped." The Question said, "How do you know?" Renee asked, "Tailing some of Black Mask's goons, I stumbled upon the warehouse they're keeping her in. It's down in the East End." The vigilante answered.

"Did they ever mail a ransom note? Any demands?" The Question asked, "Not that I know of. Look, I'll get in touch with Gordon. He can call Batman." Renee told the Question, "Batman's busy, that's why I'm on this." The Question explained.

"What about that Nightwing kid?" Renee asked, "He's in Bludhaven. He's close, but he's busy with that hellhole." The Question answered.

"Batwoman?" Renee asked, "Huntress? Or even Batgirl?" Renee continued, "Batwoman and Huntress are busy. There isn't a Batgirl. Maybe you can wear the costume, Renee." The Question said, his delivery making it unclear if he was joking or not.

"In your dreams." Renee responded, "Some of them." The Question said, "The cops are spread thin, I'm going in to get Lane and them I'm going to make a run for it. I need, no, I want you to back me up. The Birds should be arriving soon to help us out too." The Question explained.

"I think this is a bad idea..." Renee told the man, "But... you're going to do it?" The Question asked, "Yes, but only because you need me to keep you alive." Renee said, "That's my girl. I'll be in touch." The Question said, ending the call and slipping his phone away.

The Question began to move, but the sudden appearance of a fleet of cars caught his attention. "What's this?" He asked himself, watching the vehicles approach the warehouse.

"I think we got trouble." One of the men guarding the warehouse said, pulling a gun from his waistband. "Yeah." The other man followed suit, pulling a phone from his pocket. It was clear he was calling backup.

"Rival gang?" The Questioned asked as he watched the encounter.

"You need to go! Private property." The first man called out, waving his gun around in hopes of intimidating whoever showed up. The door to the warehouse opened up, several men with assault rifles and shotguns stepping out into the open.

"Should go now before someone gets hurt!"

The car doors opened up, several men and women in colorful paramilitary gear climbing with their own weapons in hand. Each man and each woman wearing a clown mask or clown makeup.

"Holy shit!"

The clowns were quick to open fire, a hellish barrage of bullets and slugs downing Black Mask's gang in a matter of seconds. But, the shots kept on for at least a minute. They made sure they got everyone, even the few who tried to escape. They didn't get far.

The Question watched, it was all he could do. The killer clowns got back into the vehicles, backing away from the warehouse and quickly leaving the scene of their destructive assault for the GCPD to clean up. "What the hell just happened?" The Question asked.

The faceless vigilante made his way down the fire escape as quickly as possible, running towards the warehouse as soon his feet hit the ground. The pained groans of dying men barely catching the vigilante's ear, he was used to death in Gotham at this point. There was nothing he could do for them if he wanted to.

The warehouse seemed to be mostly empty, save for the few bodies of Black Mask's goons who tried to run or take cover.

"No Lois Lane?" The Question asked, glancing around for any indication that the woman was still there. The Question turned to head back to the exit, catching sight of a chair coming his way. The vigilante ducked the chair, raising a hand to swat it away and disarm his attacker.

The chair went flying, the faceless hero turning to see who tried to give him permanent brain damage. "Not very nice." He said, eyes catching a glimpse of a battered Lois Lane.

"It's you. I almost killed you." Lois told the Question, "I could say the same to you." He told the woman, "We need to get out of here. Black Mask is going to eventually send more goons here when the other guys don't check in." The Question told Lois.

"Did you...?"

"No. No, of course not. The Jokers. Or, someone wanting to incriminate them, but they didn't seem like they wanted to leave any witnesses. No, this was a message. Why?" The Question looked towards the exit, eyes falling on the dead gangsters.

"I want to go home. Ten minutes ago." Lois said, marching towards the exit. "Do you have a car?" She asked the Question, the vigilante following the woman. "You don't mind the bodies?" He asked her as they stepped over the dead men. "And, yes, just not close."

"I'm already wearing a trenchcoat and a fedora, I'm suspicious enough as is until people see my face. Or lack thereof. They think I'm a mob button man or a cop." The Question said as he followed behind Lois.

The pair stopped as two sedans sped up to the warehouse, coming to screeching stops. Almost immediately suited men climbed out of the cars, each donning bulletproof vests and carrying guns. "What the fuck?" One of the men exclaimed, eyes falling on Lois and The Question.

"You! You did this?" The gangster asked, "Black Mask is going to have your head! I'm taking it to him. Someone get me a silver goddamned platter." The gangster raised the pistol he carried, clearly ready to pull the trigger.

Lois and the vigilante were like a deer caught in the headlights, "We should... probably run." Lois suggested, "I was just about to say the same thing. On my cue." The Question said, reaching discreetly into his coat. "Ready?" He asked, "My car's around the corner."

"Take it. The key's under the driver seat." The Question told Lois, "You don't mind leaving it unlocked around here?" Lois asked, "You should see my alarm." The vigilante said.

The Question drew his hand from his coat, several marble-sized pellets flying from his palm out towards the gangsters. Gas burst from the pellets, obscuring Lois and The Question from the men. They began to cough, making it apparent that the gas wasn't just smoke.

Like an Olympic runner Lois was off, The Question sprinting off in the opposite direction. The less armed thugs chasing after Lois the better.

"Get him!" The lead thug shouted, he and his men chasing after The Question. Several of the men opening fire with their weapons, the shots narrowly missing The Question as he ducked into an alley.

"Why couldn't anyone just come after me with black jacks or clubs? I wish I lived in London." He mused, continuing on his way. Gangsters in hot pursuit.

"Gonna need backup..."

Chapter 11: Stall Til' You Fall

"Damn it!" The Question shouted as a bullet slammed into the ground near his feet, the faceless vigilante ducked into an alley to give himself some time to escape his attackers. You could only have so many close calls before you eventually bit the dust.

The Question dug into his coat, slipping out his cellphone and an earpiece. He slid the earpiece into his left ear with one hand, using the other to take time to dial a number into his phone.

"Gotham, it's The Question. Who's not being attacked or chased by thugs right now?" He asked, "Question? It's Canary. Myself and Batwoman are free. Huntress is dealing with a helicopter crash." Black Canary responded, voice shooting through Question's earpiece.

"A helicopter crash? What's going on out there?" The Question asked, "It's Gotham. That's what's going on." Black Canary responded, "Hold on, BC." The Question said, raising his phone to his right ear.

"Renee?" The Question said into the phone, "Vic, what is it now? Did you get Lane?" Renee asked from the other line, "Yeah. She's safe and on the run. I'm on the run too. Mobsters with guns. I'm leading them to Crime Alley, going to ask the Birds to set up an ambush." The Question explained.

"I'd like police backup. Let Gordon know what's going on. Black Mask kidnapped Lois Lane, then the Joker Gang showed up and gunned those guys down, but more of Black Mask's goons showed up and they're chasing me. We might be on the brink of a gang war." The Question said.

"A gang war with the Joker involved." He added, seeming to think that piece of information was the most important piece. "Alright, alright. I'm on it. Try to stall them. We'll be there as quickly as possible." Renee told the Question.

"If there's one thing I can do, it's stall tactics." The Question told Renee, "Thank you." He said, ending the call and putting his phone away.

"Got that, Canary?" The Question asked, rounding a corner quickly. He came to quick stop at the sight of metal trash can, picking it up and pressing his back against a warehouse wall near the corner.

"Yeah. Crime Alley. We'll be there soon. Buy us time." Black Canary said to the faceless vigilante.

Several gangsters rounded the corner, the first of the group finding the trash can slammed into his face. He was sent flailing, falling into the other gangsters and prompting them to trip over each other

"Bought." The Question said calmly, taking off in another sprint away from his pursuers. The warehouses were coming to an end, the real East End was just starting. The one full of pimps, whores, drug dealers, and gangsters. And hybrid combinations of all those things.

It didn't take long for eyes to land on the vigilante, he was well-known since he had come to Gotham. He pissed off a lot of gangsters. Two-Face, The Penguin, Bane, and Black Mask. Word was going to get around that the Question was in their part of town.

"This needs to get done fast." The Question said to himself, driving home the fact that he needed to work overtime if he wanted to get out of the East End on his own power.

"Canary, I'm close. How does it look on your end?" The Question asked, "The Huntress won't be making it, but you only need me and Batwoman. The three of us got this in the bag." Black Canary told The Question.

"I agree. I'm going to buy us a little more time and then I'll head straight there. Be ready."

The Question approached a large group of young men, almost all of them donning hoodies and winter jackets to deal with the cold fall air. The vigilante couldn't help but notice the coin logos on the clothing, they were loyal to Two-Face.

That complicated things, yet it made it easier in it's own right.

"You kids want to make some money, reputation, and earn a favor from the only guy you people fear as much as Batman?" The Question asked as he approached.

"What's up?" One of the young men asked, "There's some guys chasing me. They work for Black Mask. This is your side of the East End, you need to protect it." The Question explained.

"And, I could use some time to get somewhere safe. Safe as far as this place goes." The hero continued, digging into his pockets. "Protect your turf." He said, slipping a wad of cash from his coat and forcing it into the coat pocket of one of the young thugs.

"Money talks. You got it, bro."

The young men stormed off, full of bravado and intent to do some bodily harm.

"There he is!" One of Black Mask's thugs shouted as he and the others finally caught up, pointing towards the Question. The group of armed gangsters began their march towards the faceless vigilante.

"You do know where you are?" One of the young thugs said to the older gangsters, "Fuck off, kid. Go home." The lead gangster said, raising his pistol for the younger men to see.

As quickly as it was raised it was snatched from his hand by one of the young men, the other gangsters finding the same happening to them. The East End bred fearless people. They'd seen it all. Guns. Grenades. Chainsaws. Men dressed up as bats.

It took a lot more than a gun to get them to back down.

"So, do you know where you are?" The young man asked again, his gang tossing the guns away before moving to surround Black Mask's thugs.

"Nice." The Question said, turning to walk off. "Alright, I'm on my way. You guys in position?" The Question asked, glancing up at the moon. The sight was some sort of solace, escape from the harsh reality he and many others were facing on the streets of Gotham.

"Yeah. Just waiting for you." Black Canary answered, "Just had to buy you a little more time. Literally in this case." The Question joked, "No, really, I just gave up a lot of money." He said, breaking off into a jog towards Crime Alley.

"I called Officer Montoya. We'll be getting GCPD backup in a minute."

"I hope..."

Chapter 12: No Time To Lose

Meanwhile...

Gotham City Police Department Headquarters...

Renee slipped her phone back into her pocket, getting up the desk she sat at quickly. The woman marched towards a hallway, maneuvering around frantic police officers and detectives to reach her destination.

An elevator.

Renee stepped onto the elevator, jamming a finger into the button that would send her up to the third floor of the building. The woman let out a sigh, brown eyes falling on her slight reflection on the closing elevator doors thanks to their metallic finish.

She was a clearly Hispanic woman with light brown skin, using the time she had on the elevator to tie her black curly hair into a ponytail. She wore a pair of khaki slacks and a black turtleneck sweater, standard issue Berettas tucked into shoulder holsters, the gold finish on her badge gleaming in the light as it sat clipped to her belt.

The elevator came to a stop, doors opening and police officers piling on as Renee was getting off. The city was in chaos, that was nothing new. But, it had rarely been on this scale. Things had never snowballed the way they did in the last few days.

The Joker would be proud. But, it was more likely he was envious and planning something bigger that he could call his own.

Renee rushed down the hallway she stepped out into, eyes on the police commissioner's office. At the speed she was going it seemed nearly impossible to stop the way she did when she reached the door.

She gulped, raising a fist slowly. Then came the knocking.

No answer.

She knocked harder.

"Come in!" A man's voice called out from the other side of the door. Renee twisted the doorknob, pushing the door open slowly and stepping into the office. "Commissioner Gordon, can I have a word?" She asked, gazing around the room.

The chief of police was seated across from Commissioner Gordon, he didn't look very happy. But, who could look happy when something like this was going on in the city they were supposed to protect? Who could be happy watching all of their work come undone in a single day?

A suited man was present, he was young, good-looking, but clearly experienced. There was something off about him to Renee. He didn't sit well with her.

"Chief Henley." Renee said to the police chief, "Detective Montoya." He responded.

"What's on your mind, detective?" Gordon asked Renee, "I got a call from The Question. He's being chased down by members of Black Mask's crime family. He needs backup in the East End." Renee answered, "The Question can handle himself." Commissioner Gordon told the detective.

"They kidnapped Lois Lane. The chances of getting her home slim without The Question. She'll die if we don't act now." Renee argued, "She has a point." The suited man said, "I agree." Chief Henley interjected.

"But, the truth is we're spread thin. We're dealing with riots and protests on top of everything else." The Chief continued, "We can't spare the resources. Not on that scale right now."

"I'll go with her." The man in the suit said, "Give us a few good officers and we'll do what we can. No, we'll handle the situation." He told Gordon, "I promise."

Commissioner Gordon was silent, exchanging glances with Chief Henley before finally letting out a sigh. "Okay. Take some officers, I'm calling in Driver and MacDonald to meet you in the East End. McKenna's going to be your partner on this." Gordon told Renee.

"You're long overdue for a new one."

"But, you know how she is." Renee said, "I can't work with her." She told Gordon, "I wasn't under the impression I was giving you an option." The Commissioner retorted.

"Keep him in line. I don't care if he's a Fed, this is our operation." Gordon said, referring to the suited man. "I don't want to lose anyone today." He added, "By the way, Detective Montoya, meet Special Agent Roarke." Gordon gestured between the two, then towards the door.

"Go. The Question's expecting backup." Commissioner Gordon ordered, "Yes, sir." Renee said with a respectful nod to both the commissioner and the chief. "Let's go." She said to Roarke, heading for the exit and gesturing for him to follow.

"We'll get Lane, sir. You can count on it." Roarke said before moving to follow behind Renee.

Gordon watched as the door closed, looking to Chief Henley. "He turns around and comes back to Gotham just for Bertinelli?" Commissioner Gordon asked, "Well, two of his agents were hurt and Bertinelli is still missing." Chief Henley explained.

"And, he can find her on his own? There's something more to him." Gordon said, "You think he's a cape?" Henley asked, "I think he sold out Bertinelli." Commissioner Gordon told Henley, "That's a big accusation to make. You need proof." Chief Henley said, standing up from his seat.

"I'll get it." Gordon told the man, watching as he walked to the exit. "I know you will. Keep it up." Henley said to Gordon, nodding his head respectfully. Gordon was a great detective, there was no denying that.

"Thank you, sir." Gordon said, Chief Henley smiling before stepping out of the office.

In the GCPD parking lot a light-skinned African-American woman sat against a newer model Impala, her pale green trench coat blowing in the wind with her long brown hair doing much of the same. She didn't seem to be in the best mood, a stern look on her face and her arms crossed tight.

"McKenna!" Renee called out, the woman in the pale green trench coat looking up. She saw Renee and Roarke coming towards her, Renee now wearing a dark grey trench coat. "Gordon works fast. You up for this?" Renee asked the woman, "Do I have a choice not to be?" She answered.

"Probably not. I'll drive, Melody." Renee told the woman, "Be my guest, Detective Montoya. Who's the prettyboy?" Melody asked, tossing a set of car keys to Renee.

"Special Agent Roarke, he volunteered." Renee answered, heading for the driver side of the Impala. She was quick to climb in and turn the engine over. Time was of the essence, after all.

"Pleasure to meet you." Roarke said, heading for the passenger side door. He nearly got to it before Melody jumped in front of him, "Backseat. Front is for detectives." She said, climbing into the car.

"Uh... understood." Roarke said, changing course for the backseat. He slid into into the car with the two women, hastily grabbing his seat belt and putting it on.

"Force of habit." He explained, "Right..." Melody responded, rolling her eyes.

"We're off." Renee said, pulling the car out of the lot and into the street. Several GCPD squad cars following the Impala out.

"We're coming, Vic." Renee muttered.

Chapter 13: Taking Back The Night

The Question stood in the middle of Crime Alley, lights flickering on and off. The faceless man was sight to behold. A harbinger of things to come for the criminals of Gotham, of Hub City, Bludhaven, New York and many others. They owned the night for too long, ruling with fear and the threat of violence.

The man who stood in Crime Alley, the sight of many violent crimes, was a symbol for the people of Gotham. He was no Batman, he was just a man. A man in a suit with some fancy fighting moves.

He was a question. The Question. The question he wanted people to ask themselves.

"What can I do to protect my family and my city?" The Question asked, "I can give my life for it." He said to himself, "What?" Black Canary asked, "Nothing. You should get into position." The Question told the woman, "Yeah. They'll be here soon. If they see me they'll get spooked." Black Canary said.

The woman nodded to the Question, "Let's hope they don't decide to shoot you as soon as they see you." She said, turning to walk off and leave the alley. "That's not the most comforting thing you could have said." The Question called out.

The faceless vigilante clearing his throat, relaxing his body and mind. He was tired from all the running, his smoking had taken it's toll over the years.

Black Mask's thugs came charging into the alley moments later, they had their guns. But, the bruises and scratches on their faces indicated that it wasn't very easy to get the weapons back.

"It's over, Black Mask isn't going to take any more of your shit." The lead gangster told The Question, "You're going to die here like an animal." Another taunted.

"I have a question for you." The Question said to his assassins, "What's black, red and right behind you?" The Question asked, awaiting an answer.

"What?" A gangster asked, before his brain could process the question he was wrapped in what appeared to be a cloak and dragged into the darkness of the alley's many shadows. The other men turned to look for their comrade, opening fire on every part of the alley that seemed to be too dark for their tastes.

The Question charged the men who had now turned their attention elsewhere, the faceless vigilante grabbed two of the men by their collars. He lifted them both before slamming them face down, as he did this the cloaked figure would descend from above the alley.

It landed atop one of the gangsters before immediately leaping to another to take them down with a hard kick to the face, "There's more than one bat in town with moves." It said, a feminine voice coming from the dark figure. The figure arose to stand, revealing her to be the Batwoman.

"Got some runners." Batwoman said, gesturing to a few men who were taking the chance to flee the scene. They weren't going to stick around just to get beat up if they had a choice in the matter.

Before they could get out of the alleyway they found themselves faced with the blonde bombshell, Black Canary. "You know who I am, right?" She asked, "Black Canary." One of the men answered, "But, you're still going to try to fight me, right?" Black Canary asked.

The men looked between each other for a moment, weighing their options. They attempted to charge Black Canary while they still had the advantage in numbers. This tactic would prove useless as the woman would let out a deafening scream. The scream grew in pitch, bringing the men down to their knees as their brains began to succumb to the pressure.

"That's how we do it." Black Canary boasted, the Question and Batwoman moving in to strike the felled men and render them incapacitated.

"Where's those cops?" Black Canary asked, "On their way." The Question answered, "I can only imagine what traffic is looking like right now." He said, looking over the beaten thugs.

Maybe they didn't need help. Everything seemed to be under control.

That was until more gangsters began to enter the alley, they entered from different directions. One group donning two-tone suits and hoodies, the others wearing black balaclavas. They carried all manner of weapons.

Pistols, knives, bats, pipes, even a machete or two and brass knuckles. They came ready for a battle.

"I might have screwed up." The Question said, looking between the two groups. The attack on Black Mask's men by Two Face's had provoked Black Mask into sending in the cavalry, Two Face sending his own soldiers to defend his side of the East End.

"You think?" Black Canary asked. The trio of heroes slowly grouped together, ready to fight off both gangs if it came down to it. They could only hope it didn't. After all, they were surrounded by two rival gangs who wouldn't have any problem going through the heroes to get to each other.

"Get out of the way." One of Two Face's gangster ordered, "We don't got any beef with you capes." He continued, "Two of us don't wear capes." The Question noted, "Is it a good idea to make jokes right now?" Black Canary asked, "It helps." Batwoman said.

"Look, just let it go right now. The city's already gone to shit. Eh... gone to more shit." Black Canary told the rival gangs, "So? It's not our problem." One of the members of Black Mask's camp said.

"It will be." The Batwoman told him, "They aren't just angry at me. They're angry at Deadshot. At criminals in general. You think the people out there rioting won't be coming down here to make an example out of you?" Batwoman asked.

"You'll be here weakening each other, they'll be rallying and marching." The Question added.

Both sides began to talk amongst each other, clearly trying to determine the best course of action. On one hand, they all had their orders an weren't big fans of each other. On the other, they preferred being able to fight another day. Risking the futures of their organizations didn't seem to be a good idea.

"No deal." Two Face's lieutenant said, "Yeah. Fuck them." The head gangster on Black Mask's side said.

"Bad idea." Black Canary warned, she and the other vigilantes getting into fighting stances. Everyone was silent, they weren't nervous or hesitant.

This was just the calm before the storm, but didn't last long. The gangs charged each other, the trio of heroes in the middle bracing for impact.

Chapter 14: The Calvary

The heroes couldn't stop them all, the gangs still clashed despite their best efforts. Punches were thrown, bones were broken, bodies were stabbed. It was a brutal melee and the heroes couldn't do much about it. It didn't matter when, if, they stopped the rival gangs, the damage would be done.

The Question narrowly avoided a knife, driving an elbow into his attacker's back before throwing him to the ground. He found himself grabbed from behind, an arm around his neck as a gangster tried to choke the life out of him.

It might have been an amazing feat of strength, or maybe it was a risky move, but the Question threw himself forward into a front flip. He and his attacker slammed against the concrete, effectively breaking the hold and allowing the faceless vigilante to mount the man.

"Didn't see that coming, did you?" The Question asked, punching the gangster out cold. "How are you two holding up? And where's The Huntress?" The Question asked the other vigilantes as they dealt with their own parts of the problem.

"She's... running... late." The Black Canary answered, fighting off multiple men as she spoke. She utilized boxing style movements to combat the gangsters, constantly moving while ducking and weaving attacks.

Skills she learned from her mentor, Wildcat. They came in handy when you were constantly fighting crime. threw punches to the bodies of the men attacking her.

The Black Canary threw hard punches at her attackers, each aimed at the body to knock the wind out of them. Before long they were too tired to keep up a proper assault, several deciding to distance themselves from the fighting.

"Why?" The Question asked, "That helicopter thing? The city should be on that by now." He said, unseen eyes landing on an usually calm black cat that seemed to be watching the scuffle. No animal was that calm around gun shots and broken bodies.

His focus on the cat lead to the vigilante being punched and sent stumbling into a wall. His attacker charged him, only for the Question to charge him as well. The vigilante tackled the gangster to the ground, grabbing hold of one of his legs and then bending it until the bone snapped.

"So, what's keeping her so long?" The Question asked, casually standing after what he had done. His fedora had come off, he looked around in search of it. It completed the look, so he needed it.

"She ran into Merlyn." The Batwoman answered, quickly jumping from gangster to gangster delivering punches and kicks to each. Her speed and agility were uncanny, no one could lay a finger on her in the alley. It was liking trying to catch a greased pig, no matter how much you tried you could never do it.

"Merlyn? Shit. That's not good odds." The Question said, "Do we have anyone we could call to check up on her?" He asked, "Icon and Rocket?" Batwoman suggested, "They're busy. I gave them something to do personally." The Question said, finally finding his fedora.

"Blue Beetle's in town. I can contact The League, see if they can find him." Black Canary said, "Do it." The Question ordered, "Merlyn doesn't go down easily. We have better odds ending crime in Gotham by ourselves than she does surviving a fight with Merlyn." The Question told the other heroes.

"I don't care how much training you have from Batman. You don't beat Merlyn, you don't beat Lady Shiva, you don't beat Deathstroke." The Question said, confident in the factual integrity of his statements.

He could hear the distant wail of sirens, the grew closer and closer rapidly. That could only be their backup, or a blonde white girl was in trouble.

The Question looked towards Black Canary, watching as she picked apart the gangsters that kept trying their luck against her.

"Eh... she's a not a natural blond anyways." He muttered, turning towards the end of the alleyway. The vigilante rushed for the street, pushing thugs and mobsters out of his way as he ran. He watched the fleet of detective vehicles and GCPD squad cars approach the alley.

The cavalry had finally arrived, now they could put an end to all of this bullshit. Retake the night from the criminal element and restore something resembling peace to the streets of Gotham. Starting with the melee in Crime Alley.

The cars stopped near The Question, police officers diving out of their vehicles and rushing into the alley with their weapons drawn.

"Down! Everyone down!"

"Freeze!"

"Put your hands in the air! Drop the weapons!"

The gangsters would be stupid if they didn't comply, they were in no shape to fight back anyways. They did as told for the most part, several gangsters attempting to run only to be stopped a black sedan.

Out climbed a man donning a black trench coat. He had to be in his mid-20s, clean shaven with blonde hair. He was large and muscular, more than physically imposing enough to put some doubt into the minds of the men trying to escape.

"Don't, please?" The large man pleaded, but his words fell on deaf ears. The gangsters attempted to run anyways, the large man grabbed two of the men as they did so. The others continued running, only to find a shotgun being aimed at them by an African-American woman.

She had long black hair braided into skinny dreadlocks, like her fellow detectives she wore a trench coat to combat the cold fall air. Her badge clipped to her belt next to a pistol for all to see.

"Do you really want to try your luck?" The woman asked, the gangsters stopping in place at the sight of the weapon. They raised their hands in the air, not keen on the idea of getting by shotgun slugs. Prison was the healthier option right now.

The large man approached the criminals, pushing them to the ground before moving to zip tie their hands. "Nice job, Josie." He said to the woman as she lowered her weapon, "Expect anything less from me, Marcus?" Josie asked her partner, moving deeper into the alleyway.

Renee, Melody and Agent Roarke rushed into the alley from their end, Renee quick to approach The Question. "Hey, you okay?" She asked the vigilante.

"Yeah, but you should see the other guys." The Question joked, beneath his faceless visage he was smiling. He was happy with what he was seeing, GCPD officers and detectives putting cuffs on some dangerous criminals. All without a single casualty.

"I'm going to go find The Huntress." Black Canary said, "I'll go to that warehouse, check it out." The Batwoman said, sinking into the shadows.

"We'll go with you." Josie told the Batwoman, "Yeah, you could use some backup. They've got things under control here." Marcus added.

"Yeah, let's do it." The Batwoman said to the two, "I'll meet you there." She continued, "Alright, we're ready when you are." Marcus said.

There was no response.

"Did she...?"

"Yeah, she's gone." Josie said, "But... how?" Marcus asked, "Don't overthink it." Josie told her partner.

Chapter 15: Saving Face

"Come on, get to moving, people. We're spread thin as is, get these idiots into a cell." Melody barked at the other police officers as they picked up the detained criminals. "Hurry back." She said, watching the GCPD officers herd the criminals into squad cars.

"Thank you." The Question said to Renee, nodding in respect to Melody and Roarke. "You too, Canary." He said to Black Canary as she headed out of the alley, "Yeah, yeah. You owe me one, by the way." Black Canary responded, "Dinner and a movie. As friends, I don't want you-know-who putting an arrow in me." The Question joked.

"That's almost all of them, we've got a CSI team and a few ambulances on the way for the dead and wounded we couldn't fit into cars. But, they'll be awhile." Melody told the group, giving the vigilante among them a dirty look.

"We haven't met. I'm The Question, you must be Renee's new partner." The Question said, holding a hand out to Melody. She looked down at The Question's hand, eyes then moving back up to where his face would be.

It wasn't long until the rest of the officers were gone, on their way to discard the criminals they'd captured as quickly as possibly. The East End wasn't the best place to be even if you were two cops, a federal agent, and a vigilante with martial arts skills.

"Why aren't you gone?" Melody asked, "Melody..." Renee said, seemingly knowing what to expect. "By now you vigilantes leave after trashing our city even more with your bullshit." Melody said to the faceless vigilante. "What's your deal?" She asked.

"I'm not that kind of vigilante. Pain has brought me here, but not a grudge. I do what's right where you, the law, can't always do so." The Question explained, "And what stops others from dressing up?" Melody asked, "Nothing. But, not everyone has the heart, or brain for it." The Question retorted.

"We didn't have freaks like The Joker show up until Batman showed up. Metropolis didn't have to deal with aliens until Superman showed up. The world didn't have to deal with aliens until The Green Lanterns showed up." Melody said, "We only had to deal with normal criminals." She added.

"And your corrupt police forces, corrupt politicians, and the fact that these aliens would have shown up regardless of anything else. If there were no Green Lanterns on Earth, who would protect Earth?" The Question asked.

"The military. The law." Melody answered, "The same military, the same law, that couldn't stop Lobo? Couldn't stop Zod? The same military and the same law that couldn't stop Deathstroke? Couldn't stop the Bertinelli family?" The Question asked.

"You need a wake up call, detective."

"Sinestro's attempted, nearly successful, invasion should have been that for you. For all of us. I'm not interested in politics surrounding vigilantes, nor am I into semantics about the word." The Question told Melody, "I'm here to do my part in saving Gotham." The vigilante explained.

"I can't do it without you. All of you." He said, gesturing to Renee and then to Roarke. The Question's eyes lingered on Roarke for a moment, not that anyone would know by looking at him. The special agent was texting, responding and sending messages every once in awhile.

"I hope I'm not boring you, Mr...?" The Question said to Roarke, "Oh, no, not at all. Checking up on my agents. I'm Roarke. Special Agent Philip Roarke. FBI." Roarke said, holding out a hand for The Question to take.

"What brings the FBI here?" The Question asked, taking Roarke's hand firmly in his own. "Witness protection and taking down the Gotham crime families." Roarke answered, "You're a little young, quite the assignment to be put on. And quite an achievement making it to special agent." The Question said.

Renee and Melody watched the two men in confusion, either this was all macho bullshit they were witnessing or something more was going on. The two men still held each others hands, gripping tighter as time went on.

"I guess you could say that I'm a more special special agent." Roarke joked, "I bet." The Question responded, he and the FBI agent finally letting go of each others hands.

"That was weird." Renee muttered to Melody, gesturing around to the injured gangsters still present. "Let's see if we can get something out of these guys." Renee said to the group, "Yeah, that's kind of part of our jobs." Melody said, "You two, get on it." She ordered The Question and Roarke.

"On it." Roarke said, approaching one of the injured gangsters from Black Mask's side. "You're already going to prison. Just tell us what you know now, save you the trouble of the good cop, bad cop routine at the precinct." Roarke told the gangster.

As he did his thing, Renee and the others did their own. The gangsters were mostly tight-lipped, it wouldn't be easy to get anything out of them. Not without Batman or someone like him.

"This is going nowhere." Renee said, "We can't exactly torture them. We aren't that GCPD." She said, "I'm not part of the GCPD." The Question noted, grabbing one of Black Mask's thugs by the collar. "Hey, what is he doing?" The gangster asked.

"What we can't do." Melody said, watching as The Question dragged the criminal further down into the alley away from where the cops could easily see.

"Should I call in the precinct and try to get some rookies up here with coffee?" Melody asked, "I like mine black." Roarke said, "That wasn't me hitting on you, by the way. I have a thing for Hispanic women." Roarke assured Melody.

"That... wasn't me hitting on you either." He made sure to inform Renee, "I figured. I'm into women, so it doesn't matter anyways." Renee told Roarke.

As the three stood waiting, a black sedan pulled into the alley slowly. Roarke, Renee, and Melody drew their weapons. They were ready for any more crap Gotham City was planning to throw at them tonight.

"Out of the car! Hands in the air!" Renee shouted at the vehicle, all four doors open simultaneously. Out of the vehicle climbed men in varying masks, some devilish, others whimsical, others functional. There seemed to be about five in total.

"The False Face Society." Roarke said, "Black Mask's elites, his... inner circle." Roarke explained, "What are they doing here?" Renee asked.

"Exactly what I want them to do." Roarke answered, quickly slamming the butt of his pistol into Renee's head and sending her to the ground. Melody tried to turn her weapon on the man, but he was too fast. Roarke grabbed Melody by the wrist, punching her three times in quick succession until he rendered her unconscious.

"Put them in the trash." Roarke said, letting Melody drop.

"What the hell is going on?" The Question asked, standing not far from Roarke. He dropped the thug he held by the collar, fists balling up. He was ready for a fight.

Roarke spun around quickly, flinging a stiletto knife towards the Question. The move was unexpected, despite The Question's best efforts the knife struck him in the abdomen.

He dropped to a knee, bleeding out.

"I didn't expect that to work. Tie him up." Roarke ordered.

Chapter 16: Face Off

The masked gangsters grabbed Melody from the ground, dragging her along towards a dumpster. "Always knew the GCPD were trash. Fitting, isn't it?" One of them joked as they tossed the detective into the trash container.

When the lid closed one of the masked men placed a discarded tire on top of the dumpster for good measure. They didn't need any surprises. Not tonight at least.

The Question pulled the knife from his gut, standing in order to fight his attackers before they descended on him. But like a pack of hungry hyenas they were already on him, the men grabbed the vigilante by his arms and began to drag him closer to Roarke.

The faceless vigilante struggled against the men, only receiving savage punches for his efforts. His knife wound bleeding profusely thanks to the blows, he needed Renee or Melody to get up. He needed Black Canary to come back for a dropped contact, something to buy him time or distract the gangsters.

"Where's Roman?" The Question asked as he was dragged closer to the traitorous FBI agent, "Sionis? Dead." Roarke said, "We aren't sure who got to him, but we found him with a bullet in his brain." Roarke told The Question, glancing down at Renee as she stirred to life.

"I was only going to make an example of you." Roarke said to The Question.

"But, I saw how you two looked at each other. Even without a face I could see it in you. There's love there. Maybe unrequited because she prefers the box, or maybe it's more innocent." Roarke said, gesturing to Renee.

"Tie them together." He ordered his men, "You were working for Black Mask?" The Question asked as he was forced to sit down, one of the gangsters ripping the vigilante's trench coat off unceremoniously.

"I did." Roarke answered, watching as the masked men dragged Renee across the concrete and sat her up with her back against The Question's. "The FBI, the DPO, just wasn't working out as far as money went. And, the Director isn't often the best guy to work for." Roarke explained to his captive vigilante.

"Sionis wasn't exactly known for treating his employees well." The Question noted, "Yeah, but his usual employees couldn't do what I could do. Smoke out snitches, give them the inside on the feds, smuggle their product with no problems whatsoever. Just flash the badge." Roarke explained to the vigilante.

The masked gangsters were being old school, one approaching Renee and The Question with rope to tie them together.

The Question didn't struggle as he was tied to Renee, wincing when the rope was tightened around his body.One of the masked men began searching the barely conscious detective before they switched their focus to her faceless counterpart.

They were being careful, showing off thought processes far above the usual riff-raff. They took everything the two carried. Phones, guns, jewelry. Anything that could be problematic was stripped from the two unlucky crime fighters.

"You said something about making an example out of me? Us?" The Question asked, trying to stall in the hopes that someone would be on their way back and could interrupt the scene as it unfolded. He really didn't want it to reach it's climax, not for himself but for Renee.

Roarke, as criminally insane as he was coming off to The Question, was right. The Question loved Renee, not romantically but it was still love. They'd been through a lot together, he was helping her with her problems as much as she'd been helping him with ease. It couldn't end like this.

"Yes!" Roarke exclaimed, "You see, I'm in charge now. I'm the new Black Mask." Roarke said, "But, before the other mobs take me seriously, I need to show them that I'm indeed very serious." Roarke told The Question.

"What better way to do that than to kill a vigilante like you? And while we're at it, one of Gotham's top cops?" Roarke, the Black Mask, asked. "Bane broke The Batman, The Joker psyched him out." Roarke said, "You've been a problem for awhile, so since I don't have The Bat I have to use you."

"I'll be the man who answered The Question with a bullet." Roarke said, chuckling to himself. "Get it?" He asked the vigilante, "Doesn't matter. You're going to be dead in a second anyways."

Roarke held a hand out, one of his men dropping a revolver into the extended palm. Roarke gripped the weapon tight, bracing it for it's time in the spotlight. He was going to usher in a new era.

"Who first?" Roarke asked, stepping up to his captives and kneeling down beside them. "You?" He asked Renee, jamming the barrel of the gun into her cheek. "Wake up." He said, the woman stirring to consciousness, but she was still very much out of it.

"Renee, can you hear me?" The Question asked, moving his body in a way that could shake Renee's body and help her to wake up. "Vic?" Renee asked, "Yeah, it's me. We're going to get through this." The Question assured the detective.

"I wouldn't bet on that." Roarke said, putting the revolver to The Question's temple. "I kind of want to kill you first, but... the real fun comes in you feeling this woman die." Roarke told the man, "Can you feel her heartbeat?" He asked.

"You'll have to feel it stop when I put a bullet through her brain, you'll have to die with all of that anger and pain immediately after. You get no happy ending, you fucking parasite." Roarke taunted, "You don't get an epic duel, you die in a dirty alley filled with dead bodies." He continued.

"What makes you think you'll get a happy ending? You'll end up just like Sionis. Gotham eats it's criminals." The Question told Roarke, "You can't beat this city. Not like this." He continued.

Roarke stood up, pointing the gun at Renee's head. "We'll see." He said, Renee turning to see the gun aimed at her face. Her eyes grew wide, but seconds later she was calm. She knew it had to end up like this.

Gotham didn't only eat it's bad, it ate the good and everyone in-between.

"Don't you do it!" The Question yelled at Roarke, "Don't you dare! Don't. Fucking. Dare." He said, venom coating his words. "Don't shoot her?" Roarke asked, "If I shoot her, you'll probably break free and kick my ass, right?" Roarke asked The Question.

"That was the plan." The Question said.

"Oh."

Casually Roarke turned the gun on The Question, instantly firing a shot through the vigilante's head. Renee let out a pained scream as she felt The Question go limp against her. Her scream lasted for a long time, but she couldn't hold it.

The sound left her body, there was just an expression of horror left on her face.

Roarke turned his weapon on Renee, preparing to pull the trigger when the dumpster Melody was in shot open. The detective had used all of the strength she could ever muster to force the heavy tire off and expose herself.

Melody raised her gun, firing several shots at Roarke and his men.

A shot hit Roarke in the face, sending him reeling in pain. He let out a painful scream, he dropped the revolver to use his hands to clutch his face. The masked men rushed Roarke, herding him towards their vehicle. "Shit, hurry up." One of the men said, forcing Roarke inside the sedan.

It backed out of the alley quickly before speeding away.

Melody sighed now that the gangster was gone, cautiously climbing out of the dumpster. "Montoya, you okay?" She asked Renee, but the officer remained silent as Melody approached her.

"It's going to be fine, Montoya. We'll get him."

Last edited:
Epilogue

"They'll be taking his body home soon." Icon told Renee as she sat in the back of an ambulance, a paramedic cleaning the wound on her head. "What home?" Renee asked, "He doesn't have any family." She told the hero, "I'm all he has." She continued, eyes drifting to a bodybag being lifted onto a stretcher.

The woman was surprisingly calm despite the murder of a man who was arguably her best friend.

"Are you sure? Martian Manhunter pulled up all the information we have on The Question, uh... Charles." Icon said, "Says his next-of-kin is a man named Richard Drakunovski." Icon informed Renee, "What? He never told me that." Renee said, waving away the paramedic.

"Were you two...?" Icon began to ask, unsure how to word the question exactly. "No! No..." Renee answered, "We had feelings for each other. But... he's not my type." Renee said, almost regretful of something she missed out on.

"Renee?" Melody asked, approaching her and the masked hero. "We have to get back to the station. Gordon wants a word." Melody told her partner, "Yeah..." Renee muttered, standing up to follow Melody to their car. "The League will be in touch." Icon said to the women as they walked away from the scene.

Meanwhile at Wayne Manor...

"I don't know what I'm going to do with you all." Said a balding Caucasian man as he carried a tray with surgical tools with one hand and a first aid kit in the other.

"What would you do without us?" Helena asked as she sat on a couch, blood seeping from the wound in her shoulder. She looked towards her communicator as it began to buzz, grabbing a couch pillow and using it to smother the communicator. She needed quiet right now.

She took an arrow to the shoulder nearly an hour ago and something had to be done about it. She could almost feel the infection creeping in.

"Maybe go on a trip to Tahiti, maybe holiday in Jamaica or Aruba." The balding man said, a distinct British accent swirled around each word. "Thank you, Alfred. And sorry to bleed on the couches." Helena said to the man.

"This isn't your first time, and Master Bruce has the same nasty habit, Ms. Bertinelli." Alfred responded, setting down the tray and the first aid kit on a coffee table. The man went to work on Helena's wound, cleaning it first before he would dare try to remove the arrowhead from her body.

It may not have hit an artery on the way in, but it could mean death on the way out. "I wish I could be out there helping right now. Canary said they took care of it, but what if something else happens? This is Gotham." Helena said, "And you are the best thing to happen to this city in a long time." Alfred told Helena.

"What about Bruce?" Helena asked, "Bruce is too set in his ways, he's struggled to fight his demons, but they never truly had a hold on him. You on the other hand, Ms. Bertinelli, you fought demons as they consumed bits and pieces of you." Alfred answered, "You could have been Harvey Dent, you became Batman in your own right."

"We should start an army of Batmen and Batwomen. Need a good name." Helena joked.

"The Dark Knights Templar?" Alfred suggested, "Nah, sounds too religious, even for me." Helena said, "Batwater. Get it? Like Blackwater?" Helena asked Alfred.

"Helena..." A man said, prompting both Alfred and Helena to look in his direction. There stood Batman, hands slowly removing his cowl to reveal him as Bruce Wayne.

"I know. That name was terrible." Helena said, wincing as Alfred began to dig out the arrowhead. "Got it." Alfred whispered, dropping the bloody arrowhead on the tray before he began to bandage Helena's shoulder.

"How about something that makes it sound like a business? Batman Incorporated? I like the way that sounds, honestly." Helena said, looking back to Alfred as he finished bandaging her wound. "Done?" She asked, "No crime fighting for a few weeks." Alfred said, "That's not a suggestion. Doctor's orders."

"Helena... it's about... Charles." Bruce said, taking a single step forward. Helena was no idiot, when she heard those words her brain was already working on figuring out what the news was. It could only be bad. Bad news was the eternal flavor of the month in Gotham City.

"Bruce..."

"He's been shot. He's dead. I know how you're feeling, I need you to take control of yourself. Don't get up." Bruce said to Helena. She didn't respond, Alfred looked between the two and decided to put some distance between himself and the two vigilantes.

The silence was the loudest thing about the mansion, it was frustrating to Helena, it only fueled her anger. The silence. She wouldn't hear The Question again. Whoever put the bullet in him deserved a slow death.

Helena stood up abruptly, flipping the coffee table. She screamed, throwing a kick that sent one of the table's legs flying. "Helena! Stop!" Bruce shouted, quickly approaching Helena to grab her.

He wrapped his arms around her, forcing his weight on her to keep her from moving. "Get off of me!" She screamed, tossing her elbows repeatedly against Bruce's armored torso.

Eventually she gave up, breaking down in sobs as the costumed man held her.

"We have a lot to do, Helena. I just need you to work with me on this." Bruce said to Helena, his grip on her body becoming a softer, more comforting hug.

Act 3: Gods Among Men

Prologue

"The state of New York's Board of Education is now in session at 9 AM in the date of October 3rd, 2015." A man said, he and several well-dressed men and women setting behind a long desk on a raised platform.

The room they were in was similar to a courtroom, a few security guards were scattered around to keep the large amount of people that had gathered for the session under control if they got out of hand.

The people varied in age and race, whatever was going on was of interest to them all. Cuts to the state education budget were coming, perhaps?

No, it wasn't something that mundane to draw this kind of crowd.

"Dr. Martin Stein, can you please come forward?" Another man on the board asked, an older man in a suit standing and stepping up to take his place to address the board.

He was about 5'10" and had greying brown hair. He was fit, had the average build of a man in his early 30s at the most.

"The state of New York has decided not to press charges against you under the circumstances, your gun was legally bought and registered, and you yourself admit that you know the laws about bringing weapons onto school grounds and that this applies to colleges as well." A school board member said.

"We admire what you did to prevent your death and the death of a student. You shot someone with superpowers that the police identified as one Louise Lincoln, now going by the alias 'Killer Frost'." Another said, "Despite this... we have to let you go."

The crowd of people gathered began to yell and shout angrily at the Board of Education's members, but all Martin himself could do was lower his head in shame and regret.

"You can't do this!" An angered parent shouted, "If more of our teachers had guns freaks like that wouldn't be a problem in schools." He continued, "Some of those freaks save lives." Another person said, "Yeah, and what happens when Superman turns on us?" A younger man said.

Now the people in the room had begun to argue with each other. The security guards stepped in when it seemed things could turn violent, the school board members yelling for the spectators to calm themselves down to no avail.

"Enough!" Martin yelled, "I said, enough!" He yelled again, bringing eyes to him gradually. "They have a point." He said, "All of you. What would have happened if one of my more volatile students found my gun? We'd have an attempt at Columbine." Martin told the people.

"But, also, what if I didn't have a gun when someone like that, superpowers or not, arrived? I'd be dead and one of my students would be dead. I have no family, there's no one to mourn for me besides my students and they'll get another teacher" He told them.

"But, those parents would have lost a son. You all could easily lose a son or a daughter when something like this happens." Martin explained, taking some time to clear his throat.

"I quit. They don't need to fire me. I'm not fit to do this job anymore." With that Martin stormed towards the exit and out of the room, leaving the people back in the room stunned into silence.

Meanwhile...

Gotham City Police Headquarters, Downtown Gotham City.

Detective Renee Montoya sat in silence in the office of Captain Margaret Sawyer, Captain Sawyer herself seated across from Renee just as silent. Captain Sawyer had short light brown hair, and despite being in her late 30s looked very young and was without a doubt attractive.

This didn't stop her from doing her job and doing it well.

Looks didn't matter in Gotham. It was the kind of city where 'here to do, gone tomorrow' was an omen and sometimes an obituary.

The silence between the two women continued, Renee sitting with her arms crossed and Captain Sawyer seated with her hands folded together on her desk. Just the sound of their breathing and the ticking clock on the wall filled the room.

"Renee, we need to talk about what happened." Captain Sawyer finally said to the other woman, "I already talked about to everyone else. I don't need to talk to you about it." Renee responded, content with going back to silence. As far as she was concerned there was nothing to talk about.

"Renee, I know how this must feel for you. You lost a friend. A close friend. A... hero, some would say. I'd say that." Sawyer told Renee.

"Please, quit with this bullshit. This isn't the first time I lost someone close to me. Remember Cris?" Renee asked, "I don't need a lecture and I don't need comfort. I'm fine." Renee continued, "I just want to go back out there and do my job like any other day."

Sawyer remained quiet, fine with letting Renee speak.

"I'm not going to go buy an army's worth of weapons and then go on a rampage like a 90s anti-hero. I'm not going to hurt myself, I'm not going to lash out. Don't get me wrong, I'm very angry. Very fucking angry. But, this isn't the first time I've been angry. And like all of those other times I'll get over it. This is Gotham City. I have no choice but to get over it and move on with my life lest I end up in a vicious cycle of dressing up like an idiot to fight crime and never kill criminals who deserve it."

Renee was breathing heavily by the end of her rant, staring at Captain Sawyer. "What's being done to find Roarke?" Renee asked, "The FBI, Justice League and GCPD has everyone on it." Sawyer answered, "The Justice League? Charles... I mean, The Question, would be alive if they'd sent someone like Superman down to help him." Renee said.

"Superman doesn't handle these kinds of crimes." Sawyer told Renee, "And that's why people like the Joker get to run around, right? As corrupt as this department used to be I wonder why no one ever put a bullet in that guy's head. He deserves one." Renee told Sawyer.

"And, what would that solve?" Captain Sawyer asked, "The problem we have Gotham's mortality rate, it increased since he showed up. Psychos like Roarke have to continuously step up their game to be seen with him around. They have to bomb things now, kill politicians, cops..." Renee said, "I know in Metropolis you don't have to deal with stuff like that." Renee said.

"Superman swoops in and saves the day."

"That's not true."

"It's very true, Captain. We don't have a Superman. We have a man in a black suit dressed like he's going trick-or-treating and I emphasize that he's just a man." Renee said, standing up. "But, he gets results. I'm out of here." Renee said, digging into a pocket.

She removed her badge from the pocket and tossed it onto Sawyer's desk. "I quit. No one needs to suspend me or put me on leave. I'm not fit to do this job anymore." Renee explained, heading for the exit.

"Renee, where are you going?" Sawyer asked the former detective as she was leaving.

"To get results." Renee said, stepping out and slamming the office door behind her.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The Dead Talk, We Listen

The cold November air in Hub City made Renee shiver as she walked through the cemetery where The Question-... where Charles was meant to be buried. His body had been picked up by a man listed as his next-of-kin, a man Renee had never heard of.

She hoped she wasn't too late, she wanted to see Richard off to whatever afterlife he believed in, if any. She knew it would be somewhere nice.

Renee's eyes caught sight of a small group of people standing over a grave plot, a casket still above ground. It was yet to be buried. She wasn't late. She was in time to say a proper goodbye. The former detective walked speedily to join the group that had gathered for Charles' funeral.

There were some familiar faces, famous faces, even.

She saw Oliver Queen, a brunette holding on to his arm. Bruce Wayne stood next to Oliver, a woman with dark hair standing beside him in a black dress. The look on her face said that she had lost someone very close to her. The woman should have been crying.

She didn't have any tears left at this point.

There were some Hub City police officers, possibly a few politicians. The people who really stood out were the Caucasian man in the wheelchair and the tall Asian woman standing behind him.

"Charles was a good man." The man in the wheelchair said, looking up at Renee. "You're just in time. We knew you wouldn't miss this." He said to her, "We've all said our goodbyes. I was waiting for you to arrive to say your own, Renee." He continued.

"How do you know my-... okay." Renee said, placing a hand on the wooden coffin Charles' body was laid inside. Tears began to run down her face, the warmth was comforting in it's own somber way. But, that warmth wouldn't last long when the casket was lowered.

Renee knew this. Winter was approaching, but she'd never be as cold as she was without Charles to shine a light on her and keep her warm.

"I promise you, Charles. I'll do right by you. I'll get Roarke. I love you." Renee said to the coffin, taking her hand away from it just as it began to lower down into the hole.

"Mr. Wayne, Mr. Queen, can you bury him while I speak to Ms. Montoya?" The man in the wheelchair asked, "Uh... sure." Oliver said, looking to Bruce. The billionaire playboy, usually seen out and about with a different woman each day, nodded a nod that betrayed his public image.

The look in his eyes harkened back to someone who had lived this event multiple times before. Burying someone loved.

"Come." The man in the wheelchair said to Renee, the Asian woman pushing his wheelchair away from the grave site and towards the parking lot. Renee let her eyes linger on Charles' coffin for a few seconds longer before she went to follow the man.

"Who are you?" Renee asked as she got next to the man, "Richard. Richard Dragon, as most know me." The man in the wheelchair said, "This lovely woman is Shiva. We trained Charles." Richard told Renee, "Shiva here is a member of the League of Assassins, or Shadows, it's very confusing." Richard said to Renee.

"She holds a soft spot for Charles, and for myself. Like you she searches for revenge, but she knows as well as I, and you, know that Charles would not want us to seek revenge for him." Richard explained, "You will not murder a man, but you will destroy him and condemn him to prison."

"You will do this the way Charles would do it."

"We've read his will. He wishes for Shiva and I to train you to avenge his death and take on his cause. You will become The Question." Richard said, "Or should I say, the answer to crime in your city along with the others who think like you. The Huntress, The Batman, The Black Canary." Richard told Renee.

"Why me?" Renee asked, "Because you're the only person with the passion and demons to do it the way he did it. If Batman is the myth, the boogeyman, of the criminal underworld. You are the Mongol army come to conquer them while they wait in fear." Richard said.

"I am literal when I say army. You are already trained as a police officer, we know you box. You can handle yourself in a fight. But, you will become something more than that. More than human. There's a good chance you will die during the training process." Richard said to Renee.

"Are you prepared to-..."

"When do we start?" Renee asked, interrupting Richard. The interruption, the eagerness to train and take on the criminal underworld, brought a smile to Richard's face.

"Tomorrow. You'll need time to rest, to process your feelings. Charles has willed you his old apartment here in Hub City, that's where you'll stay until I get in touch with you." Richard told Renee, Shiva holding out a pair of keys for the woman to take.

Renee grabbed the keys, tucking them into a coat pocket. It was going to be strange staying in Charles' apartment. She had doubts she'd be able to get any sleep at all.

"You should meet the others. They've agreed to expose some things to you. Things they feel you need to know." Richard said, "I'll be in touch." He said as they reached the parking lot and a car.

Renee nodded, turning away to head back to others that had been grieving. The two men had just finished burying Charles by the time she arrived, the small group turning their attention to her. The police officers and politicians were already leaving, Wayne and Queen the only ones who seemed to be sticking around.

Other than the women they came with.

"We usually don't do this." Oliver said, "But... it's important that you know, because we want the same thing you want. Justice." He told Renee when the others were far enough away not to hear him.

"You have to promise that you'll keep these secrets." Oliver continued.

"You're Green Arrow, Bruce Wayne is Batman." Renee said, "Oh, well... I guess you already knew." Oliver responded, "You." Renee said, pointing to the dark-haired woman standing next to Bruce. "You're Helena Bertinelli, you're The Huntress." Renee said to the woman.

"And you," She began, pointing at the brunette holding on to Oliver's bicep. "You're Laurel Lance. You're the Black Canary." Renee finished.

"Let me guess. Charles told you?" Bruce asked, "He's got a big mouth when he gets into detective mode." Renee answered, "I was hoping that would be more dramatic." Oliver said, "When do you start training?" Bruce asked, "Tomorrow. I'm staying at Charles' old apartment." Renee answered.

"Bullshit." Helena said, "Helena..." Bruce said, the woman quieting down. "We'll get that son of a bitch who killed Charles. We'll be patient about it." Oliver said, looking to Helena.

"All of us." He added, "Whatever." Helena muttered.

"We'll be in touch." Bruce told Renee, he and Helena walking off towards the parking lot. "Come see me when you get the chance." Oliver said to Renee, "I'll be expecting you." He said, he and the very silent Laurel walking away as well.

Renee stood alone, eyes on Charles' gravestone.

"Tell me something, Charles. I need you to talk to me." Renee said, looking up at the cloudy sky. Rain beginning to fall steadily.

"Should have told me to bring an umbrella sooner."

Chapter 2: Bump In The Night

Renee pushed the door to Charles' apartment open, exhaling deeply at the dark room she saw in front of her. It was weird enough being here, but she had to go about living in his apartment for awhile.

She stepped into the apartment cautiously, slowly closing the door behind her.

"If I was a light switch where would I hide?" Renee asked herself, searching the dark walls until she found a switch to use. She flipped it upwards, the room brightening up to expose bookcases filled with thick books of the political nature.

The amount of Ayn Rand was astonishing. She always figured that The Question as a Libertarian. Some of the apartment's walls had newspaper clippings attached to them, headlines from different events that had gone on in the world. They dated back years and years, before Charles was out fighting crime as The Question.

His apartment was kind of messy, disheveled. It was organized chaos and it fit Charles well.

"Okay." Renee said to herself, plopping down on a couch. Newspapers crunching beneath her. She wasn't sure what to do with herself, sleep didn't seem like an option and the apartment was freezing cold. Renee made a note to speak to the landlord.

She noticed that Charles had a TV, it was kind of old and she was sure it didn't have any cable. Charles didn't seem like the kind of guy to keep up with pop culture and the latest reality shows.

Renee stood up, gliding over to the TV to turn it on. She would look for a remote control later. When the TV came on it turned out Charles did have cable, it was basic but it was good enough for Renee. The former police officer flicked through the channels, eventually settling on a police drama.

It was something familiar, and she tended to enjoyed pointing out the lack of research on Hollywood's part when it came to police officers and detectives. There wasn't a cop in the world like the ones Renee saw on the TV right now.

The former detective sat back down on the couch, but her eyes grew heavier as time went on. She could barely stay awake, so she sprawled out on the couch and shut her eyes. In less than a minute she was fast asleep.

Night fell on Hub City as Renee slept. Sirens wailing in the distance as the city pulled away it's mask to reveal it's true nature. Hub City was just a smaller, slightly more clean Gotham City.

A loud thud pulled Renee out of her sleep, the apartment's doorknob wiggling as if someone was trying to open the door. Renee shook her head clear, getting up to search for her gun just in case it wasn't the landlord coming to welcome his new tenant at two in the morning.

Renee rummaged through her coat, searching every pocket for the weapon.

The door burst open before she could get to it, several masked men charging in. Renee raised her fists at the intruders, ready to defend herself and Charles' things. The burglars paused at the sight of the Hispanic woman, surprised that there was anyone in the apartment at all.

Renee's eyes scanned the men, they were dressed in mostly black and seemed to be of average builds. There were six of them. If they planned to do any stealing they were going to take a lot if left to their own devices.

"It's just one chick, tie her up or lock her in a closet or something." One of the burglars ordered, two of the men charging Renee. The woman threw a quick jab at one, sending him reeling back. She reached out for the other, jamming a finger into his eye.

With the man stunned Renee used a foot to pull his own feet out from under him, pushing him at the same time to send him to the ground.

"I think she broke my nose, Lenny."

"Damn it, don't say my name!" One of the burglars, Lenny, said to his comrade. Turning his attention on Renee, "The news didn't say this guy had a girlfriend." Lenny said to Renee, "Either way, we're leaving here with some of this cape's things and you can't stop us. There's more of us than there are you." Lenny noted.

Renee shook her head, stepping back to put some distance between her and the thieves. "Over my dead body." Renee said.

"That's good enough for me." Lenny said, he and the other men rushing towards Renee. They clearly believed there was strength in numbers.

Renee threw a punch, her fist slamming into the face one of the men. Another burglar grabbed Renee from behind, arms wrapping around her body. One of the men approached her, fist up ready to put her to sleep. He threw the punch, Renee ducking it just enough that the thief hit his buddy.

"Damn it!" The thief holding Renee shouted, letting her go. The woman scrambled away from her attackers, sprinting towards the kitchen. Renee knew Charles well, he had something stored somewhere. She just knew it.

It was just a matter of finding it.

Whatever it was.

She looked towards the refrigerator, raising an eyebrow. That seemed obvious enough to be where Charles would keep a weapon. Renee pulled the fridge door open, rolling her eyes at the sight of tonfas, nun-chucks, and a small mace.

"What year is it?" She asked herself, grabbing hold of the mace. The burglars rushed her again, but this time she had a weapon to use. Renee slammed the fridge door, swinging the mace to slam into one of the thief's ribs.

She swung it again, hitting a burglar in the face. She was proving to be more trouble than anything in the apartment was worth. Lenny and his boys knew that.

"Screw it. Let's go." Lenny said, turning to run towards the exit. His men followed, despite their numbers they had spent the last few minutes trying to subdue one woman. They were small time crooks. The real menaces to society in Hub City might have shot Renee when they saw her in the apartment.

"Don't come back!" Renee shouted at the would-be thieves as they fled out into the hall. She was proud of herself. She fought off a bunch of crooks on her first night in Hub City.

Renee approached the apartment door, looking it over to make sure it wasn't damaged. It seemed the burglars picked the locked. That saved her from spending money to buy a new door.

"That was anti-climatic." Renee said, locking the door and slamming it shut. She turned away from the door, barely catching sight of a man dressed in all black before he punched her in the face.

Renee fell back, the man placing a cloth over her mouth. She slowly began to drift into unconsciousness.

The chloroform easily did it's job.

Chapter 3: Enter The Bronze Tiger​

Renee's eyes shot open, the woman's body swinging around as she jumped to consciousness. Her feet were barely touching the floor below, her hands cuffed to a pipe way above her head.

"Where the fu-..." Renee looked around, wherever she was it was dark. It was musty. It was damp. It was a basement as far as she could tell. She didn't know if it was night or day, or who brought her there. She just knew she had to get free before her captors arrived.

Renee looked up, the pipes above her were old. She could tell that much from the sounds they made each time she moved, like they would be falling apart one day in the near future. The place was going to be a hellhole when the lights went on, Renee just knew it.

She had to get free. She didn't want to wait for whoever captured her to return and torture her. Or chop her up and turn her into the latest ratings boosts for the news networks.

Renee swung her body, the cuffs digging deep into her wrists as she began to gain momentum. "Come on..." Renee muttered, kicking her legs out at the peak of her swings. She winced, the metal cuffs cutting her wrists was coming close to being unbearable.

With a final big kick of her legs she was upside down, feet planted firmly against the pipe she was cuffed to. She pushed her feet against the pipe and pulled her wrists towards her head. Blood began to seep down her arms, dripping and pooling beneath her body.

Suddenly the pipes snapped, Renee falling a few feet to slam down hard against the concrete floor.

"Damn it..." She said, painfully pulling herself up from the floor. She looked around the darkness, hoping to see some sort of light. Something that would show her where to find a window or a door, she needed to escape and get the cuffs off.

Footsteps. Loud footsteps drawing closer and closer from behind a door nearby. Renee was about to panic, but she couldn't lose her composure now. Not if she wanted to live.

Renee ran to the door despite the darkness, feeling around until she touched the doorknob. The footsteps stopped in front of the door. The knob began to turn, Renee backing away from the door as it opened up.

A man stepped in, he was dressed in a pair of black jeans and a brown leather jacket, his hands covered by black gloves. And then there was his head. He had the head of a tiger in the middle of a roar.

It was discomforting to see at first, but it took Renee only a minute to figure out that it was just a mask. She lunged out towards the man, hands reaching out to take hold of his neck. The man sidestepped Renee, a gloved hand taking hold of her hair and keeping her from leaving the room.

The man flung Renee out into the hall, it was brightly lit. Her eyes could barely adjust in time to see the tiger masked man grab her face and pull her to her feet.

"You're not ready." The man said, deep voice bellowing out from beneath the mask as he let her go.

Renee dropped back down to the floor. She was sure she was close to death just a few seconds ago, she found herself confused by what was going on. She didn't even know what was going on.

"What?" She asked, "Not ready? For what?" Renee asked her captor, "To take on Szasz's fight." The man answered, "Richard Dragon enlisted me to help train you. Call me Bronze Tiger." The man said to Renee.

"Bronze Tiger? I heard about you. Aren't you supposed to be a mercenary or something?" Renee asked, holding up her cuffed wrists. "I was. Things change." Bronze Tiger told her, slipping a handcuff key from his pocket. He tossed the key down in front of her, turning to walk away.

Renee quickly grabbed the key and removed the cuffs, scrambling to her feet and running to catch up to Bronze Tiger. "All of this was a test?" She asked the man, "No. I was measuring you. Sizing you up." Bronze Tiger answered.

"There will not be a test." He continued, leading Renee down the hall. It was a long hallway, leading Renee to assume she and Bronze Tiger were in the basement of a warehouse or old office building.

He pushed a door open at the end of the hallway, revealing what appeared to be a large arena with a ring in the middle of it. Men and women, some dressed in flashy costumes, others in basic fight gear, talking and sparring with each other.

Renee was in awe.

The arena was far below ground, Renee and Bronze Tiger standing far up several flights of stairs. Above them were rafters, and lights. Someone with money and resources built the arena if they could dig out sub-levels and apparently remove several floors of building above their heads to make room for box seats and lights.

"Is this Fight Club, or something?" The former detective asked. "First rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club." Bronze Tiger said, letting out a slight chuckle from beneath his mask. "We aren't going to end up terrorists, are we? That's not my cup of tea." Renee added.

"You're taking being kidnapped and beaten down very well." Bronze Tiger said to Renee, curious about how she was processing everything. "I was born and raised in Gotham. I became a cop. Later a detective. I've fought Black Mask, Mister Freeze, The Joker, Poison Ivy, Two-Face, Deathstroke, Killer Croc, Bane-..."

"Okay, fair enough." Bronze Tiger said, stopping Renee from listing everyone she'd fought over her career. "Go get cleaned up, I'll send someone to bandage you up, then we'll begin training you." He told the woman.

"You're already a detective, a good one at that. You have the mind for it, but you don't have the skills to fight those people the way Charles did. Without backup, or a gun, or the resources of the Gotham PD." Bronze Tiger told Renee, gesturing for her to follow him as he stepped down into the arena.

"Roulette!" Bronze Tiger called out, a Caucasian woman dressed in a red Chinese dress with a gold dragon running along the length of it turning to the sound of the masked man's voice. A pair of crimson shades covered Roulette's eyes, but Renee could feel her looking at her.

"Take Renee here and get her cleaned up, and find her something to train in." Bronze Tiger said to the woman as she approached. Roulette eventually meeting with Renee and Bronze Tiger halfway up the steps.

Roulette sized up Renee, seemingly unimpressed. "Come on." She said, gesturing for Renee to follow before heading back down the steps into the arena.

"Good luck." Bronze Tiger said to Renee, the woman nodding before following behind Roulette.

She had to wonder what she had gotten herself into.

Chapter 4: Unmasked

One month later...

Wayne Manor, Gotham City...

Bruce stood outside of Helena's room, knuckles raised to the door as if he was going to knock. But, the knock never came. The woman had just lost someone close to her a few months ago, and Christmas being around the corner didn't exactly help things. She couldn't get into the spirit of the season.

Bruce began to walk away. The least he could do was give Helena space. Room to breath.

"She'll be fine." Alfred said, startling Bruce. "Alfred, you scared me." Bruce told the man as he turned to him, "It's not like you to be scared." Alfred told Bruce, the two men heading down the hall towards the manor's den.

"Alfred, many things scare me. It's something of an art form not to show it." Bruce explained, "Or a mental defect." Alfred retorted, "I hope you aren't trying to tell me something, Alfred." Bruce said jokingly, "Nothing you already know, Master Bruce."

The two were silent as they entered the den, Bruce's eyes on the fireplace as it's flames lit up the room. Alfred himself was focused on the window and the setting sun outside.

"Have you found anything yet?" Alfred asked, "I've run across some leads." Bruce answered, "I'm heading out tonight to follow up on them. Richard, Victor and Rachel are looking into the Joker Gang for me." He continued, "Why did they come back? New leadership?" Alfred asked.

"Possibly. Could be Quinn, or some of the Joker's fanatics."

"Or the Joker himself." Alfred added, "He's dead." Bruce told Alfred, though the tone in his voice made it seem as if he was trying to convince himself of that. "As cliche as it is, you didn't actually see his body, master Bruce." The Englishman said to Bruce.

"He's dead, Alfred. It's been three years. He's dead." Bruce said, turning to see Helena standing in the doorway. She was wearing a purple nightgown and it was clear that she'd been up for hours on end.

"Helena. Hey. Are you okay? Do you need anything?" Bruce asked the woman, slowly approaching her. "I want to go out with you tonight." She answered.

Bruce looked to Alfred and then back to Helena, "I don't think that's a good idea. You're still... mourning." Bruce said, "Don't treat me like a child, Bruce. Let's go out tonight. To eat. Invite Selena." Helena said to the man.

"I'm still grieving, but Charles would want me to move on. What better way than with friends. I know just the place we can go." Helena continued, "I'll call Ms. Kyle for you right now, master Bruce. You could use a night off." Alfred added.

"But, I've got other plans, Alfred." Bruce told the Englishman, "Helena, I've got other plans. Batman plans." Bruce said to the woman.

"Mr. Queen is in town. Perhaps he can stick around for awhile longer? Follow those leads?" Alfred asked Bruce.

Bruce couldn't think of many more ways to get out of a social outing. Helena needed him, he had been neglecting Selena, and since Charles, The Question, died he had been diving deeper into a rabbit hole searching for his killer. On top of that, he needed to figure out why yellow power rings were in rotation.

"Just tonight." Bruce said, giving up on trying to avoid going on a dinner date. "And then I'm going to work. Tell Oliver everything we know so far, Alfred. It's in the cave." Bruce said, heading for the hall.

"Put on something nice." Helena said to him as he walked away, the woman turning to head to her own room. "I'll get right on it." Alfred said, heading for a bookcase in the den. He pulled two books and tap the side of the bookcase, it quickly sliding open to reveal a secret passage.

Alfred began down the passage, it lead to a pristine looking elevator. It was clearly taken care of, possibly to prevent any accidents. No one wanted to fall to their death any time soon.

Alfred step in the elevator and pressed the arrow facing downwards, the elevator beginning it's descent into the dark cavern beneath Wayne Manor. When it came to a stop and it's doors opened there was only darkness in front of the Englishman.

He took a step out and one by one lights began to spring to life. The dark cavern was transformed into a state of the art facility. As Alfred moved just how advanced the vigilante workshop was became clear. A towering computer with multiple screens and monitors sat in the middle of the cavern, a vault on one side, different costumes and suits of armor on the other.

The cave was also filled with an assortment of trinkets and souvenirs. A giant penny, a dummy that resembled an old mobster, and a tuxedo. A purple and green tuxedo.

"Computer, get me though to Oliver Queen." Alfred said as he approached the supercomputer, taking a seat in the swiveling chair in front of the computer.

"Yo, Bruce, what's up?" Oliver Queen said as his face appeared on the main computer monitor, the man seemed to be hiding in a closet to take the call. It wa the only place he could find.

"It's Alfred, Bruce is out." Alfred told Oliver, "Ah, hey. What's up?" Oliver asked, pushing away a mop that fell into view.

"While Master Bruce is busy, he would like you to follow a few leads concerning the murderer of Charles Szasz, Philip Roarke." Alfred said, "He's a former Fed and he's now leading the False Faces as the new Black Mask. The former Black Mask, Roman Sionis, was found murdered." He explained.

"I know all of that, Laurel let me know what went down." Oliver told Alfred, "What needs to be done?" He asked, "Bruce would like you to find Roarke and bring him to justice. You may wish to question him about the murder of Sionis." Alfred answered.

"I'm going to leave this party, and Roy and I will get right to it." The man told Alfred, "Tell Bruce he can enjoy his night off." Oliver joked, "Okay, really, I've gotta go. I'm going to get looked at funny if I stay in this closet."

"Good luck." Alfred said, "Queen out." Oliver said, ending the video call. He stepped out of the closet to find Roy coming his way, "What's up?" Roy asked, "Our visit to Gotham might be a little more exciting than we'd expected." Oliver answered, "Arrow time?" Roy asked.

"Yeah, Roy, it's arrow time."

Chapter 5: Masquerade

"Helena, come on. Morgan's waiting in the limo." Bruce said to Helena through her closed room door, the man adjusting his black tie. He really wanted to get this social outing over with.

He had another night planned for himself that he would have preferred.

"I'll be waiting outside." Bruce said, walking away from the door to head outside. "Ah, Master Bruce!" Alfred called out from down the hall, walking quickly to catch up to Bruce. "Mr. Queen will take care of things, so you make sure you have fun. If you still remember how to do that." Alfred said to the young man.

"Alfred, I know how to have fun. I've dated supermodels and I date a reformed cat burglar." Bruce informed the man, "Touché, Master Bruce." Alfred said with a smile, "Carry on." He added, stopping in his tracks to allow Bruce to continue outside on his own.

Bruce approached the white limousine waiting just outside of his home, knocking on the driver side window. "Hey, Morgan." Bruce said to the driver as he rolled the window down, "Good evening, Mr. Wayne." Morgan responded. He was a young African-American male with a small afro.

He seemed much younger than the average limo driver, but that was because Bruce could trust him. Both as a billionaire trying to keep his life private and as Batman. Morgan was part of the inner circle.

"A little formal there, Morgan?" Bruce asked, "Well, I am your black limo driver." Morgan replied, "Hey, I didn't know you'd be black when Henri said he had a son. Asian, maybe. Henri liked his Asians." Bruce said with a smile, looking back to see if Helena had followed him outside.

"How's she been?" Morgan asked, "I haven't seen her in awhile. Not even for training." He continued, "She's seen better days." Bruce told Morgan.

Just a moment later Alfred stepped outside of the manor, Helena on one arm and a coat draped over the other as they walked towards the limousine.

The Sicilian woman wore a tight purple dress that showed off her curves and a pair of expensive black heels. Her naturally curled hair fell over her shoulders, obscuring the crucifix earrings she wore and her scarred shoulder.

Morgan's was in awe, he had seen Helena dressed up before but this was different. This was a message to the world and to Bruce.

"Helena, you look... really good." Bruce told the woman, opening the limousine door for her. "I told you I was fine." She said as she grabbed her coat from Alfred and jumped into the limo, Bruce following right behind her.

"Stay out as long as you like. And have some bloody fun." Alfred said to both Bruce and Helena. "I know." Bruce muttered, "Drive, Morgan." Bruce ordered, waving to Alfred as the limo pulled off and left the manor.

Bruce sighed as the vehicle began to move further away from his home and closer to Gotham City. It had been awhile since he was out and about this late at night without an ulterior motive.

No bad guys to bust, no fronts to put on for the cameras. Tonight he was just having a good time with his girlfriend and a woman he could consider his best friend.

He and Helena had been through a lot, they learned from each other. Helena learned mercy and Bruce learned he couldn't keep Gotham safe on his own. He was just one man.

"Selena's meeting us up at the club. She knows the one." Helena told Bruce, "Where are we going exactly?" He asked, eyes lingering on the Batman symbol resting on the clouds.

"It's a surprise. Just wait." Helena told the man, "Morgan, head to 1955 Richards Way." Helena said to the driver, "You got it." He responded as the vehicle entered the city proper.

"I know that address. It's not that terrible goth place, is it?" Bruce asked, "You'll see. You'll come to like it." Helena assured her friend.

The two were watching the city past them by, Bruce for once as a civilian and Helena for the first time without anger. It had been replaced by something else since Charles was murdered.

"We're coming up on it now." Morgan said, pulling the limousine up to park in front of a nightclub. Above it's open doors were two giant expressive masks.

"Welcome to Comedic Tragedy." Helena said to Bruce, "Helena, this is a False Face front..." Bruce said, almost angry at the woman for her deception. She knew he wouldn't let her go out and do any snooping. Not unless she forced it.

"You didn't want a break, I want to catch Roarke." She explained, "Helena, what the hell? We're not prepared for this." Bruce told her, "What's wrong with some old school detective work?" Helena asked before jumping out of the limo.

"She's stubborn. You weren't going to win and you know you want Roarke." Morgan said, "Just stay close, okay? I'll try to make it quick." Bruce said, getting out to follow Helena up to the club's entrance.

The security guard at the door stepped aside, the sight of Bruce Wayne and his best friend meant he let them jump ahead of the line.

Certain people in Gotham just had it made.

Unfortunately, tonight wasn't a real party night. Not for Bruce, not for Helena, and not for Selina Kyle. There she was at a booth, a cat mask covering much of her face. Tight black dress with a slit up the thigh leaving very little to the imagination.

"Take your pick." A woman said, approaching Helena and Bruce as they walked. She held a box in her hand, opening it up to reveal an assortment of masks for guests to wear.

"We make hundreds of masks a day. One for every person in the world in the hopes that they find their true face here." The woman said, she herself wearing a mostly featureless white face mask.

Bruce looked down at the masks, shaking his head at all he could see. "I'm good." He told the woman, "I'll take this one." Helena said, grabbing a mask from the box.

It was a black mask with a blue butterfly carved into the cheek.

"Excellent choice." The woman said, slinking away to pass out more of the masks.

"Really? A butterfly?" Bruce asked, smirking as he watched Helena put the mask on as they continued over to Selina. "Yeah. I like butterflies." Helena responded, taking a seat next to Selina in the booth.

"Hey." Bruce greeted Helena with a smile, "Hey." She responded, a smile of her own visible despite the darkness of the club and her mask.

Helena snapped her fingers, "Before you two do this, can we handle the rest of this?" She asked, "We got a mob to dismantle."

"First, we need to blend. Bottle service, invite people over, drink and pretend to be drunk." Bruce told the women, "Helena, kiss a random guy. Tongue action." Bruce said, the woman turning to stare at him.

"I'm serious. You're a mob princess who is best friends with Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen, and you even have the blessing of Harvey Two-Face to walk free here." Bruce began, "You can do whatever you want." He finished.

"In character." Selina added.

Bruce stood up quickly, "I'm trying to have a good time! Next round on me!" He shouted, the club goers screaming in excitement.

"We're Gotham socialites." He said as he sat back down, "At least when we need to be."

Chapter 6: A Rock And A Hard Place

Shadows danced along the Gotham rooftops, going unnoticed by the citizens of the city. The criminals watched. They had reason to fear the shadows. To fear The Batman. Knowing he was a real thing didn't make it easier for them to fight him.

He was a one-man army with an actual army. Crime in Gotham had plummeted or evolved. Unfortunately, the city was facing a resurgence in what made it one of the most dangerous cities on the eastern seaboard.

The shadows on the rooftops came to a stop at the apartment building Roman Sionis, the former Black Mask, had been murdered in. It was once a False Face Society haven. Now, it was taken over by a local gang that once worked for Sionis.

"What do you expect to find here?" A shadow asked, revealing itself as Roy Harper, the Red Arrow. "Anything that points towards Roarke. He's the lead suspect right now in Sionis' murder." The other shadow said, showing itself to be the Green Arrow.

"There's probably something he left behind that could help us. Maybe a recording. Sionis wasn't an idiot. He probably recorded everything with Roarke to use later." The Green Arrow said, making his way over to the door leading into the apartment.

The two heroes entered the top floor of the building. It was perfectly intact save for police tape. Things were even collecting dust. It was a bit unnerving to the duo.

"Why is no one up here?" Red Arrow asked, "Roman didn't let people come up here. Habit, maybe?" Green Arrow answered, "Dude, is it stealing if I take a TV?" Red Arrow asked jokingly, brushing some dust off of an expensive TV.

Green Arrow continued on slowly, peeking into each room he passed by.

He had saw nothing of interest until he finally came upon Roman Sionis' office. It, like the rest of the floor, was preserved. The only things out of place were the bullet hole in the wall behind his desk and the blood around it.

"Found it." Green Arrow said, running his fingers along the walls and objects in search of hidden cameras or recording devices. There had to be something.

"Here I am." Red Arrow said, joining his mentor. "Roy, help me look for anything that could be a camera or a mic."

"How are you holding up?" Red Arrow asked as he joined the search. "What?" The other archer asked, "He was your friend too. He was murdered." The younger hero said.

Green Arrow shrugged. "It hurts. A lot. But, it's the risk we take doing this. Even with the blessing of the government many of us are still just people. We die all the same." Green Arrow answered, "I'm fine. He went out the only way we should."

"Defiant and facing down the bad guy."

"Found something!" Red Arrow called out, hand resting on a cleverly disguised camera. There in an ashtray on Sionis' desk was a lone cigar. But, it wasn't an actual cigar. It was the camera.

Something people wouldn't look twice at in the office of a man like Roman Sionis. It had been sitting in the ashtray, it's butt facing where visitors would be sitting.

"Okay, Roy, see if you can find out where the video is going. If it's uploaded or what. I want something to give to the police." Green Arrow ordered.

"You got it." Red Arrow said, making his way out of the office. Green Arrow began another search, this time trying to pull open the drawers on Roman's desk.

They wouldn't budge, not even an inch. The hero's fingers began to search beneath the desk, there were no keyholes on the drawers so there had to be a button to open them.

"Gotcha!" Green Arrow said as he pressed down a button he'd found. The drawers opened up.

Inside one of them were a few guns and a grenade. Typical Roman Sionis things. Another was empty save for a single jewel. Someone had stolen the rest and forgot to check if any were missing.

The last drawer held a laptop.

Green Arrow pulled the laptop out and placed it on the desk, it was still plugged in. With the new owners keeping the power on it was fully charged and ready for use.

"That's what you call luck. Let's see if you like to save e-mails." He said to himself, opening up the laptop. The camera feed was open. It seemed to be the only thing Sionis used.

Everything else on the laptop were already there. Preinstalled from the factory. Green Arrow began to sift through files. Each one ordered by date, it made it easier to find things.

He went back to around the time Sionis was found dead, peering at each one closely to find the right one. The rest were going to be used to cripple the False Face Society.

Green Arrow clicked on a file dated as two days before Sionis was found murdered.

He played the video, eyes widening at what he was seeing. There in the office was Sionis and Selina Kyle. In his shock he had forgot to check the volume.

He could tell their discussion was heated. Selina began to walk away and then Black Mask stood up from his seat. The moment he did, Selina turned towards the man.

She raised a gun and fired an accurate shot into the crime boss' head before leaving.

"What the fuck?" Green Arrow asked, closing the laptop and unplugging it. "Roy!" He shouted, leaving the office. "What? What happened?" Red Arrow asked, jogging towards his mentor.

"We're leaving. Head back to the hotel. I have to do something. Alone." Green Arrow said, heading to the roof with Red Arrow in tow.

"Oliver, what's going on?" The younger hero asked. "Roy, go back to the hotel. Just go." Green Arrow demanded. The Red Arrow wasn't going to budge, but reluctantly he nodded.

The young archer turned away and ran, jumping across a narrow gap between the rooftops until he was gone.

The Green Arrow pulled back his hood and slipped off his domino mask. For this he couldn't be Green Arrow, he had to be Oliver Queen.

He slipped his phone from a pouch on costume, quickly dialing in a number. He was growing impatient as he waited for an answer.

"Hey, Bruce. It's me, Oliver. We need to talk. Call me back. Immediately."

Back