Devonshire Love

By the time her shift ended and she had gathered up her belongs and clocked out for the night it was really late and Emily found herself too tired to even think about studying for her exams, tired plus her mind kept going back to the writer who'd come in tonight. Her mind was racing with ideas to help him with his story. She kept replaying what he'd said the title of his book was and trying to come up with some ideas to toss his way if and when she saw him again.

Emily entered her dorm, waved to her roommate and sort of friend, they were still figuring out what kind of friendship they would have, and began storing her items in her side of the room. They'd set it up to have a microwave and mini fridge, can opener and one of those K cup coffee makers at the front area of the dorm room that was a communal space for the two of them and they got along pretty well. Their desks were back to back in the middle of the room so they could talk over classwork if they wanted and acted as a sort of divider. It was an understanding between them that if they didn't want to be social they wouldn't approach the desks. Tonight Emily didn't want to be social so instead of putting her book she should be studying on the desk she took it and the other stuff to her cupboard on her side of the room and moved to the bed, collapsing onto it after dumping her coat and purse on the chair closest to the side table and then tossing her keys into the dish she kept on the side table.

Sensing how tired her roomie was the other girl shut off the lamp on her desk and dimmed the one on her side table as Emily flicked off her own side light. It didn't take long for Emily's eyes to drift closed. Soon she found herself dreaming about another place and time, and someone else was there with her.... who was it. In the dream she approached the person who was standing near a moonlit lake, she realized as she drew closer that it was a man, suddenly her heart picked up it's pace and she felt an overwhelming sense of joy. It felt so real, as if it was really happening. She felt the urge to run to the figure... wait... was that.. no it couldn't be, but it was, the mystery man who'd come into the coffee house.

Ambrose drifted off his thoughts filled with the beautiful girl from the coffee shop, named Emily. Her soft-looking pink lips, the chocolate color of her hair, her blue eyes, her hips, the way she walked and smiled, her soft voice. All of it consumed him as he slept. And then it stopped opening his eyes he looked up at the sky. The moon was so bright, reflecting against the water like glass. Ambrose stood there looking at the water, he had been here before. The memories of his past that usually haunted his dreams had brought him back. But, why did this seem so real?

He had been lost in thought until he sensed someone else was near, turning his head his eyes laid on a woman. Ambrose stared for a few moments as his heart caught in his throat. It was Emily, but why was she here...But, of course, this was only a dream. Ambrose turned away from the water, he was wearing a black dress shirt, the first few buttons undone exposed his chest, and a pair of black slacks though her was barefoot as his feet walked across the sands towards her. This beautiful vixen was now haunting his dreams. Ambrose walked until she was within arms reach, "Emily?" Her name dripped from his lips like sweet honey.

within the dream:
Emily took a step toward her mystery man, wait... where did that 'her' come from? he didn't belong to her, and realized she wasn't wearing any shoes and she had on a long flowing nightgown type dress that was nearly but not quiet transparent with a robe made of the same material, not her normal sleep wear of Daisy Duke shorts and over size t-shirt or the clothes she'd worn to work, that was odd. Though soon such thoughts were pushed from her minds as he stretched out his arms for her as if he expected her to step into them. And what do you know, she did after nodding in the affirmative that it was her.

She seemed to fit perfectly into his embrace and Emily felt like it was exactly where she should be. She didn't understand why it felt so real or perfect. Emily felt more alive and at peace than she ever had. The chaos of school, work, and study quieted the moment his arms went around her and a sense of well being and safety fell around her like a warm hug, a REAL warm hug.

Ambrose held her, lowering his head to bury in her hair, she smelled sweet, she was intoxicating. She fit like a puzzle piece in his arms, he gave her a gentle squeeze. Even if this was a dream it felt so....real. Ambrose reached his hand up her side to her cheek, her skin was like silk under his fingers. Ambrose moved to lift her chin so he could look into her eyes, his own crystal blue ones shimmering with desire. This was still a dream, no matter how real it felt. "May I kiss you Miss Emily?" His eyes lowered to her lips and then flickered back to her own. Even if this was a dream he wouldn't take advantage of her. She made this lonely memory whole. Made his empty heart feel whole.

She wanted to say yes, she almost did but suddenly a thought accrued to her, "Tell me your name and you can do anything you want." Emily told him, her eyes meeting his, this was a dream, right, so she could tell him that. She could give herself, and him that. She felt so whole, like a missing piece had finally been put into place, even though it was a dream. It would probably leave her blushing when she met him again face to face but she realized she was forming an idea for his book.

Ambrose chuckled and his brow rose at her response, even in his dream she was curious. Letting his laugh fade into a smile he leaned to her ear. "Ambrose Devonshire, that's my name." With his name sealing her promise he moved his hand to pull her towards him as he leaned down. Cupping her cheek he met her lips, his eyes flicking at her and then closing as he kissed her. Ambrose moved his free hand to her waist pulling her closer against him, it was as though she was molded and made only for him. Her lips were soft and sweet just as he had imagined, which was saying something considering this was a dream. After a few moments he pulled back allowing her a moment to breathe. His own breaths were closer to pants than anything else. "Your so beautiful." A small smile graced his lips and he brushed a strand of hair from her face, his eyes bearing into hers.

Still within the dream
Ambrose, Ambrose, the name echoed in her mind like a caress, a song, she made a pleased sound in her throat as his hands moved to pull her closer and she realized she fit perfectly against his frame. Then he was kissing her and she was lost, drowning in familiarity and comfort, just so right. Everything was right in her world. She had a sense of deja vu like she'd been in this place, in his arms before and needed to always be here.
Emily was all in on the kiss, giving back everything she got her hands moving to wrap around his neck to hold him to her, one cupping his cheek, skin to skin contact felt so good, so perfect, so real.

When he pulled back from her to let her breath and panted how beautiful she was she had to rest her forehead against him and try to calm her heart rate and her own panting. Testing out his name, she let the word fall as she breathed out, "Ambrose." the word would be like a talisman to her from now on, his name would be her talisman giving her comfort when her world felt out of control, her arms tightened around him of their own accord and she held on.

Ambrose tried not to let the small blush that spread across his face show, his name came from her lips like it was the only thing holding her to the ground. He lifted his hand to smooth her hair as her head rested against his chest, he only hoped that she didn't notice the loud beating of his heart. This small human girl stirred something inside him, desire, longing for affection maybe. What is was he couldn't place and didn't know. All he knew is that for now in this dream he would hold her and touch her like it was his last day on earth. Ambrose used his finger to gently lift her chin to look at him, his eyes were swarming with a hunger a desire for her. "If you say my name like that, I might just lose myself and take you here." This was only a dream, where he could speak as he wanted without the worry of getting to close. Ambrose leaned down placing a small kiss on her lips and trailed them down her neck as he tried to calm the raging desire in the pit of his stomach.

Against his chest she grinned mischievously, and said his name again in exactly the same way she had before, then slowly looked up at him with that mischievous grin still in place, "Please do." she said softly with a glint in her eye to accompany the mischievous smile. She gave a slight shiver of pleasure as Ambrose left a trail of kisses down her neck. She did not want to wake up from this dream, not at all.

Ambrose lifted his lips from her neck for a brief moment to give a small smirk. A devilish vixen even in his dreams it seemed. Dream or not he loved that her body felt so right, and real in his hands. He let his hands trail from her waist to the small of her back, leaving one hand to reach to her thigh and lift her against him. He moved his hand to hold her up against him, she was a lot lighter than he had expected. Pulling his face from her neck Ambrose's crystal colored eyes bore into her ocean color. "I did warn you, Miss Emily. If you said my name like that I would take you here." A glint of desire was evident in his eyes, it matched the playful smirk on his lips. His voice was deep, lulling, and seductive. That was the only thing he said before crashing his lips against hers.

Her eyes matched his as Emily gazed into his beautiful eyes, for a moment she was amazed how well their bodies fit together then she remembered that this was a dream and of course, it was logical that their bodies fit perfectly well together, in a dream. Then again this was so real and felt so right that reality and dream seemed to be all rolled into one. As Ambrose slid his hand along her thigh a shiver of anticipation crept through her and then his lips crashed down on hers and she moaned in ecstasy against the onslaught and met his desire with her own.

Things were just starting to heat up and get really good when she heard her name being called as if from a distance and suddenly the dream was filled with an annoying sound, as if a fire alarm had been tripped, wait.... Fire Alarm!.... The woods in the dream started to spin and her grip on Ambrose tightened as Emily tried to hold on and stay in the dream. Slowly Ambrose started to fade from her arms but she could still feel them around her, his name was a cry on her lips as their finger tips brushed and she was pulled back into the real world from her dream.

Ambrose couldn't help but shiver over the desire that ran through him when she moaned. As the alarm sounded and her name was being shouted to rouse her, Ambrose couldn't hear anything. He was focused on enjoying the feeling of his hands against her soft skin, even if she was only a dream. He let his hands explore her body pulling back from his kiss to breathe. He was leaning in for another kiss until he saw the expression that passed over her features. Unfocused, frantic, and confused. Feeling her grip on him tightened he glanced at her hands before holding her face gently. "Emily?"

Slowly she slipped out of his grasp as she disappeared, the sound of his name being shouted so desperately from her lips made his heartache. He tried to grasp her tighter but his arms were left empty. Letting his arms fall he stood there frustrated, in more ways than one, and aching. After a few moments of pacing, he decided he needed to cool off. Turning to the moonlit waters he ran towards them before diving in, allowing the cool waters to calm his raging hormones. As he was underwater he suddenly felt like he was being pulled under, as though he couldn't breathe. He tried to swim to the surface but it was met with him suffocating under the water. And then darkness.

Ambrose bolted upright sending Archemeadis flying across the room with a yelp. Ambrose looked around panting before his eyes spotted Archemeadis creating back up the bed. "You tried to kill me Archemeadis." Archemeadis stuck his tail up and sat down staring at Ambrose and licking his paw. "I gave you a warning Ambrose. You were to busy sleeping. I'm hungry, feed me pheasant." Ambrose's eye twitched in irritation, "You should be lucky I choose not to throw you on the streets-" Ambrose picked the cat up by the skin on his neck, leaving him immobile. "Or drain you dry." Ambrose's eyes flashed red in color and Archemeadis looked at him terrified. "I-I mean my loving master, please feed me?"

Back in the real world it was still dark outside when Emily came awake and nearly sent her roommate flying backwards with a punch and then the alarm sound penetrated her brain, her roomie grabbed her hand and yanked her out of the bed, "Come on! I've been trying to wake you up for ten minutes." she said as she dragged Emily toward the door leading out of their dorm room. Emily was no longer in the flowing gown she'd worn in her dream, she was back in the short shorts and boyfriend style T-shirt, her roomie hadn't given her time to slip on her slippers as she'd dragged her to the door, Emily watched as she touched the knob to test for heat, as she did Emily tested the air for the smell of smoke. "It's just a drill, I don't smell smoke and the air doesn't feel hot." she told her roommate. Her roomie nodded in agreement and opened the door.

They made it outside to the designated spot. Emily shivered a bit, it wasn't too cold out but when the wind blew just right it went right through the clothing and left a shiver and it didn't help that she had no shows on and there were places where the ground was not friendly to bare feet. Great just what she needed when she had to be on her feet at the coffee house, plus she just wanted to get back into her bed and see if she could get back into her amazing dream with Ambrose. Oh man, now that she thought about it how was she going to face him this evening. This could get weird.

Ambrose sighed and tossed Archemeadis on the floor, he was frustrated and needed a cool shower as the events from his dream crept in his mind. He knew he had promised to see her but it was clear how embarrassing it would be to face her after a dream like that. Running a hand through his hair he flung his blanket off, looking at himself he decided it was best to take a cold shower. Placing his feet on the ground he got up and stretched as he walked to the bathroom, glancing at Archemeadis he sighed. "I will feed you after I shower...I need to calm down." Archemeadis turned to lift his tail letting it swish as he sauntered out of the room.

Ambrose walked to his bathroom and turned on the water before disrobing and stepping in, he hung his head under the cold water for a moment to cool off. I shouldn't be having these dreams, she's something I can't have. He sighed and turned the water to warm to finish his shower, stepping out he grabbed his towel and wrapped it around his waist. His curly hair clung to his face before springing up crazily. Walking out of his room he made his was to the kitchen and grabbed the cat food Archemeadis jumped on the counter waiting patiently. "Took you long enough Ambrose, was wondering if you died." Archemeadis did a cat snicker sound and Ambrose poured his food in his bowl and rolled his eyes, tossing the bowl on the ground. Grabbing a pitcher of red liquid he poured himself a glass and sat at his table.

He'd dress later, but for now he needed to pull his mind away from...things

As soon as the fire drill was over Emily rushed back into the door and flopped back onto her bed trying to go back to sleep and hopefully back to the dream... no such luck. With a heavy sigh she got up, gathered her clothes and toiletries for a shower and headed of for the refreshing spray of warm water and a really good wake up call. Dressed in snug jeans that seemed to perfectly hug her body and a loose fitting Emerald green blouse adorned with violet colored Violets all over it and her hair in a ponytail Emily re-entered her dorm and went to her desk, she took out a pencil and note pad and jotted down some notes about The Void being a dream realm that people get lost in or never want to come out of.

She hoped these notes would keep her from thinking about the dream when they met up again this evening. Emily was so lost in jotting notes about The Void that she was almost late getting to her first class of the day. She glanced at her clock then with a gasp snatched up her satchel with her work clothes in it as well as a few notebooks and text books, tucked the notepad with Void notes in it into the front pocket of her jacket she threw on as she rushed out the door. The plan was to jot notes throughout the day so they had enough to talk about when she met Ambrose at the coffee shop later tonight.

Ambrose sat at the table trying to shake the thoughts of Emily from his head as he drank his red morning liquid. When he lifted the cup to take a sip but no liquid came he sighed, the bottom of the glass wasn't enough to forget the way she had felt against him. He groaned lifting himself from the chair, tightening her towel around his waist as he rinsed his cup clean. Walking back to his room he went to his closet and pulled out clothes before draping his towel over the end of his bed to get dressed. He pulled on the clothes, a button-up red shirt, and black jeans that hugged his waist just right. He rolled the sleeves up so the stopped exposing his forearms.

What time did she say she worked? Ambrose stopped himself from wondering, he knew better than to cause an unnecessary headache by walking outside during sunlit hours. After he was dressed he left his hair a curly mess and grabbed his laptop walking back to the dining room. A big house was useless when he and Archemeadis were the only ones to occupy it. He sat at the table opening his laptop and stared at the blank screen until evening. Not one word on the screen other than the two used for the title. Archemeadis hopped on the table, "Still no luck?" Ambrose rolled his eyes and closed his laptop. "Obviously not Archemeadis." Archemeadis walked on top on the closed laptop and licked his paw, "Sounds like you need coffee, though I can't imagine why." Ambrose sighed again, Archemeadis was right. Ambrose looked at the time, 8pm the sun wasn't out and Emily was working. He knew he would regret this later.

Grabbing his jacket, note pad, and phone he walked out of his door. Walking his way to the coffee shops, in slight hope, Emily was there.

Emily decided to head in to work a little earlier than she was actually supposed to start her shift just so she could spend some extra time with the mystery man, Ambrose was the name of the man in her dream, not the real man, she had to remind herself, her subconscious had just filled in a name for him since he hadn't given his name when they'd met before, though she did wonder where her mind had pulled that name from. As she walked passed the jewelry store that was close by her work something sparkled in the shop window and made her stop to look.

It was a necklace with a stone that looked exactly like the color of 'Ambrose's' eyes, Emily stood there and stared at it then suddenly found herself opening the door and striding to the counter, she exited the store with a box in her satchel and close to fifty dollars lighter in her wallet. She didn't know why she had made the impulse purchase but she wasn't brave enough to put it on right away actually she was shocked she'd made the impulse buy and was considering returning it the next day, they were about to close as she'd left the store or she would turn right back around and return it now.

When she got to the coffee shop she was shocked to see the mystery man was already there. For a moment she stood where she thought he couldn't see her, heat flushed Emily's face as she looked at his profile because suddenly she was remember the dream version's arms around her and how he'd brought his hand down her thigh and hiked her leg up to.... NO she needed to curb these thoughts this man was not the one in her dream. She took a deep calming breath and pushed all those thoughts out of her mind then stepped up to his table after taking out her notepad and pencil then she said in her 'interviewers' voice, "Excuse me sir, is this seat taken?" she asked in a teasing, semi flirtatious tone, knowing he was waiting for her.

Ambrose walked down the street avoiding people as best he could, keeping his gaze low. He was grateful when he arrived at the coffee shop, looking around he noticed Emily was nowhere to be found. He let out a small breath he didn't know he had been holding. Seeing that she wasn't there would give him time to collect himself before she did arrive. He walked to the counter and ordered, ignoring the stare of the girl behind the counter as he did. A simple coffee, and for some reason he ordered the brownies he had given him as well. He held no interest in the sweets, they didn't really have a taste, but if she did come maybe he could offer her some.

He waited for his coffee before taking a seat, he pulled out his notepad and pen thinking about what to write. He couldn't pull is thoughts from Emily long enough to even form a sentence on paper. He heard the bell of the door jingle but didn't lift his gaze. That was when it hit him, Emily? His gaze lifted to the door and scanned the room, but, he couldn't see her. She was here that much he knew. Her scent invaded his senses like poison. It was sweet like lemons or apples even and then relaxing as though she had bathed in a field of violets and roses, the scent that stuck out the most made him gulp a woody warm spice that caused his cheeks to burn. He took a shaky breath, turning back to his notebook and moving his hand over his mouth. He needed to calm down, the desire he felt yesterday as he slept crept through his body. The red on his face finally calmed and he lowered his hand grabbing his coffee and lifting it to take a sip just as he heard a sweet sound.

The same voice that had uttered his name the night before, and haunted his dreams and mind. Ambrose lowered his cup and looked up smiling slightly, a small chuckle running through his chest. "Not at all, Miss Emily." Her name rolled off his tongue again, his eyes gaze at her face, lingering on her eyes before trailing to her blouse, down to her waist until his gaze turned back to his notepad. Violet's covered her Emerald green shirt, his eyes softened as he sipped his coffee, surely she didn't know it was his favorite color.

Inwardly Emily gave a slight shiver, as he spoke, her name rolling of his tongue like that sent a wave of remembrance through her and she had to quell the sudden rise of desire that surged. She still had no clue what his name was but her dream had given her plenty of ideas for his story. She tamped down her emotions, or thought she had, and pulled out the chair and took a seat. "I got here 35 minutes early so we could talk." she pulled out her own notebook and pencil, "I um... had some thoughts come to me while I was sleeping and I wrote them down for you." she turned her notepad toward him and pushed it to where he could look down at her notes.

Scrawled on the paper in front of him were these words:
Name of Leading Male: Ambrose; Name of Leading Lady: Emmaline
Synopsis: Trapped in a dream world, a void, the two must find each other to be able to escape but are met with challenges.
Every time they get close enough to escape from the void something pulls them apart.

"I am sorry this is as far as I've gotten, but maybe it will help you find a jumping off point. Though if you don't like it you don't have to use it." she added the last part as her face warmed and she had to look away from his eyes before she got swept up in them. Emily was too chicken to read it out loud, she might sound like an idiot. Just reading the words had her squirming in her seat a bit because for a split second she was back in that dream realm with his arms around her. GOD how she wanted to feel those arms again. For a fleeting moment she hoped she had the dream again but she shook the thought off.

Picking up his cup again to take a sip he glanced at her as she spoke, he hadn't expected her to come early just to help him. Though he was thankful because he could see her outside of her work clothes. In her more normal clothes, he could see her curves much better. The thought made him tense, he knew he couldn't keep thinking about her body. The dream from the night before crept in the recesses of his mind and he gave himself a mental shake. Ambrose pulled his gaze back to her face noticing himself run his eyes over her again. His brow rose when she mentioned the thoughts came to her while sleeping, he lowered his cup after taking a sip and glanced at her notebook as she turned it to him. "Then I must thank you for taking the time to think about it." He smiled at her and looked back at the notebook.

Ambrose, He glanced at her. It was obvious from her words she had no idea that his name was the same. Lowering his eyes Ambrose glanced back at the notebook as she finished her sentence. The names were surprisingly similar to hers, and the other well...was his name. The storyline itself was an interesting concept, reminding him of the way she had so desperately called his name. Ambrose cleared his throat, trying to gather his thoughts before speaking. "I'm surprised, how did you come up with the names?" He rose a brow and lifted his cup taking another sip. "The idea itself..is an interesting concept. And you came up with the idea while sleeping you said?" Ambrose lowered his cup, glancing at his hand he noticed the plate of brownies off to the side. He pushed them towards her, "Would you like one Miss Emily?"

Back