Devonshire Love

A blush deepened the color on her cheeks as she muttered an affirmative, "Um, yeah while I was sleeping. I am not sure but the name just popped in there." There was no way she was telling him that the dream version of himself had given her the name or that the female's name was a play on her own name. She glanced up from doodling in the margins of her notepad, not realizing that she was doodling hearts entwined with Violet vines and flowers as she heard the sound of a plate sliding across the table. A smile lit Emily's face as she realized he'd remembered her affection for the brownies. "Thank you. I think I would like one." She took one and bit into it, closing her eyes in pleasure as the sweet gooeyness hit her tongue, "These are so good."

Emily tapped the area where it mentioned getting close to escaping, "Our fire alarm went off this morning and woke me up from my, dre..." she suddenly stopped herself, "sleep, and gave me this idea." suddenly realizing what she doodled she quickly jerked her notepad back to herself with a deep blush staining her cheeks, Why the heck did she draw those!? "I mean, it gave me the idea for things keep happening to draw the two apart." she said, hoping he didn't notice what she'd drawn.

Last edited:
Ambrose smiled to himself at the blush on her cheeks and her words. So she didn't know his name, quite the coincidence but he supposed he could keep it to himself for the time being. As he slid across the brownie's she smiled and he felt his heart catch. He looked away for a moment as she closed her eyes keeping his hand to his mouth to calm himself. He could smell the pleasure rolling off her in waves, a part of him wished he was the brownie. He ran a hand over his face as she opened her eyes turning back to the table.

Ambrose couldn't help but raise his brow as she spoke, such creative dreams. He lowered his gaze to the notebook and smiled, a small chuckle came from his lips. "Your drawing is cute, though I couldn't help but notice you chose Violets. They're my favorite flower." And smell. Though he kept that thought to himself. He took another sip of his coffee tapping his pen on his own notepad for a moment. "I like the idea, would it really be alright for me to use it? Of course, I'll be sure to tell my editor to give you rights to the idea. I wouldn't wish to take credit." He flashed her another smile, his eyes lingering on hers as he took a sip.

Ambrose would never take another person's credit, not that he could since his books have only been about his life so far. He was surprised she hadn't asked his name, though grateful. Being identified as a popular novelist was not to his pleasure, it was why he had worked so hard to keep his face unknown to the public. He valued his privacy, but thinking on it he wouldn't mind his name coming from her lips.

Her eyes widened when he said what she'd drawn was his favorite flower, as he said it she realized that some how she knew it was his favorite, but how. "I.. did not know that." would she ever stop blushing!? And he was going to give her credit for her idea? Wow, she wasn't expecting that. "It's not necessary, but thank you." though she said the words she was still smiling and it was clear it made her happy to know he thought of her, "So Ambrosia," she said his name but still didn't know it really was his name, and her blush turned a darker red, "Looks a lot like you." she said the last part softly. Emily fiddled with the edge of her plate not quite meeting his eyes. She was referring to the notes she'd jotted down, a tingle went through her as she said her next words, "The female lead, could be my twin." she said softly as her eyes moved to his.

"I have to ask. What is your name? Please, tell me. I... I'd like to work with you on this story, if you'd let me." Wait, did she just flirt AND ask to help him more, which meant see him again. Suddenly she realized she wanted to leave her job and work more closely with him, especially if it meant seeing him more often. Emily suddenly wanted to spend as much time with him as possible.

Ambrose chuckled at her small blush, "I didn't expect you to know. It's fine, you're a lovely artist." He leaned on his hand and smiled when she said it wasn't necessary. He focused his sight on her eyes, "You're welcome...But, I insist. It wouldn't be fair to take credit for something that's not mine." He lowered his hand from his chin to take another sip when he called her Ambrosia he rose his brow, she clearly didn't know his name but her guesses were on point. The way she spoke his name was just as enticing as it was in his dreams. His eyes darkened with a desire, hot and heavy it ran up his spine.

Her next few words didn't help calm his desire, if anything it made it worse. Seeing the red that graced her cheeks and hearing that she had dreamed of him he ripped his gaze from her face to his cup, reajusting himself in his seat. Ambrose cleared his throat looking up just as his gaze landed on her. His curiosity about her dream was evident enough, the memories of his own making it hard to stray from the table. Her near beg for his name made a light flush grace his cheeks, though only noticable when paying attention to the details of his face. The smell of her desire was over whelm but he managed a smile that could make any girls heart stop.

"Ambrose, Ambrose Devonshire. But, it seems Miss Emily...You already knew that." His words were low and his eyes reflect the desire in his voice.

Her heart actually skipped a beat when he admitted his name was the same as in her dream. Oh Hello No! There was no way the dream had been real, suddenly she felt she needed to share the dream with him, something seemed to compel her to tell him. "Do you have any plans tonight?" she asked having had a sudden idea. "If not I'd like to go somewhere else a little less crowded so we can talk. I'll just let my boss know something came up for school and I can't take my shift." she wasn't crazy about this job anyway and could use the break from it. A mental break from school stress and work stress.

"I am a little unnerved, I admit, that I dreamed your name. I'd much rather tell you how I came to get the name, where there aren't other people around and listening in." Emily said and glanced around, it didn't appear anyone was actually listening but there were some fellow students here from the school paper that were always looking for juicy info and always appeared to not be listening in but she knew better, heck she'd done similar, a good journalist always had their ear open for info. She stood to go talk to her boss and looked at Ambrose for confirmation on going somewhere else.

Ambrose had been taking a sip of his coffee when she asked if he had plans, he coughed lowering his cup to the table. Her willingness to leave her job just for a conversation intrigued him. Though he hadn't expected her to be so forward, he only hoped he could use this much composure when he was alone. Though he doubted it given the way her clothes hung around her body. As she continued he thought about the options, to say he wasn't curious would be a lie. And getting her alone....well that would be a plus. "Then I suppose it would be fine. We can go to my house...I mean if that is alright with you Miss Emily, public spaces aren't my cup to tea."

He lifted his cup and brought it to his lips his eyes transfixed on her body as she stood. This would surely be the death of him but he supposed that could wait until he was alone to mull over regrets. For now, he would enjoy her company for as long as possible.

~His house!? OMG am I dreaming again?~ she thought as her heart skipped a beat, "Um, yeah that would be fine." she answered before she could chicken out, plus she was curious about the cat he'd mentioned before, she'd always wanted a cat but her parents had never let her get one, some excuse that both were allergic to cats though she didn't suffer that fate because she could give a cat love and affection and have no adverse reactions to it, and cats seemed to love her so the thought of meeting his cat, seeing his home and spending time with him was highly appealing.

"I'll just go talk to my boss now." if he kept looking at her like that she just might have to jump him right here and now and she did not want to do that here in front of everyone heck she didn't know if she could be that bold but it was tempting because something in his eyes told her that Ambrose was thinking along the same lines, but how was it possible for her to feel this drawn to him this soon after meeting him, how could she have dreamed of him so soon. Emily spun from the table and went in search of her boss. When she didn't find him but instead found his boss she informed her that she was going to take the day off to prepare for an assignment for her journalism class, they'd just gotten a text about the assignment so she hadn't known about it before heading to work. The woman told her that was fine and they would see her tomorrow.

Her last thought as she went back to Ambrose's table was ~Maybe you will see me tomorrow.~ When she got back to his table she smiled, "I got the all clear." she said as she picked up her purse and small satchel she'd hung on the back of her chair. The satchel held her work clothes and a few of her school books which she'd planned to study when she was on her breaks, but today was going to be a 'chill day' which was her term for days that she slacked off on studying and school related stuff and did her own thing. As a journalist one had to be flexible and go with the flow of things.

Ambrose was surprised she agreed, if not a little worried that he had asked. Was it really wise to ask her to be alone, could he control himself? These questions were soon answered by the smell of her desire. He forced his gaze away from her and lifted a hand over his face to block the smell and keep himself from blushing. He was thankful when she went to talk to her boss, the smell calmed down enough for him to lower his hand. He took the last few sips of his coffee, stopping another worker for a small to-go bag for the brownies.

When she came back to the table he lifted himself from his seat. "Good to hear. Follow me, please." He placed a tip on the table and grabbed his notebook and pen placing both in his jacket pocket before pulling it on. His muscles stretched as he did so, and he ran a hand through his hair, thankful he had calmed down enough to stand. He made his way out of the cafe moving his hair to block his face from ever-curious eyes.

As they walked down the street the mass of people swarming them lessened, he glanced at her. "Do you usually go home with men you've just met?" Ambrose bit his tongue, he hoped her answer was no. He couldn't imagine another man having laid his hands on her. "I don't mean any offense Miss Emily, I only hope you feel safe. If needed I will provide my address to you....you can send it to a friend if you feel unsafe."

A blush hit her face again at his question, "Um, no. I usually don't go out on dates let alone go to a man's home without a friend." holy Hannah why did she tell him about her love life, or lack there of. Why was her mouth running away from her around him? Next thing you know she'd be telling him her undergarment size. She did a mental face palm. Why did she even agree to go to his house? This was turning into a game of 20 questions in her head. She'd had in mind a quiet place in the park she liked to go to. One that she'd discovered a bit by accident when she was looking for a quiet place to write and very few if any people knew about it. Then he'd offered up his house as the quiet place to go.

As soon as they were out of the shop her shoulders relaxed a bit, "Thanks for agreeing to get out of there. There were some people from my journalism group there and they always have their ears and eyes open for the next story. The last thing I want is them stealing any ideas from our discussion or your story." she explained her desire to get out of there, hoping he understood it was to protect his story, as well as her sanity. She was sure her classmates would ask her about the gorgeous man she'd been sitting with at the Three Bean. And call her selfish but she wanted to keep his identity to herself, heck if she could she'd like to keep him for herself and she'd hate to have to deck a few girls if they tried to get between them. She bet he had girls fawning all over him wherever he went. She'd seen a couple of the other girls in her class eyeballing him in there.

Ambrose let out a sigh of relief at her words, "I suppose that was a bit forward of me, I apologize." He cleared his throat as they walked, thankful that they were away from prying eyes. He gently moved her so he could stand on the outer part of the sidewalk, the safer she was the better. He had no idea why he was so bent on bedding her and protecting her. The feeling itself slightly bothered him, he'd have to make a call later on once she left. He listened as she explained her reasoning for asking to leave.

"I understand, prying eyes are always something to be wary of." Ambrose turned his attention back to them walking, "My house isn't that much farther." He glanced at her again admiring the way her body moved as she walked. He turned his attention back to walking afraid he might run into something. It wasn't long until they reached his house. It was a large house, it could even be considered a smaller mansion of sorts. It was clear the house was old but well kept. Ambrose walked up the driveway glancing at her to gauge her reaction.

Emily felt flattered that he moved her to the inside of the sidewalk so that he was on the outside, it was very chivalrous and not many men out there had that kind of thought process. It made her like him even more. Chivalry was not dead after all. She shook her head at his apology, "Don't worry about it. I am thankful for your concern."

When they arrived at his house she looked at the exterior in awe, it was beautiful and not what she'd expected, she thought he had a nice penthouse suite somewhere in one of the local apartment buildings but this... was well, her dream home. A place she would love to have for herself but knew a place like this was well above her price point. She'd be lucky to have even a single wide posh mobile home. The inside was just as breathtaking. "What a beautiful home you have, Ambrose." there it was again, his name spoken in that soft tone she seemed to get every time she said it, she didn't realize that her tone changed slightly whenever she said his name, "Victorian era, it looks like you've kept all the original details and beauty." she was in awe of this house it was so pretty. Then she heard a meow and had to turn to find the source, "Why hello beautiful baby." she said as she got down low to pet the cat, she held out her hand to let him sniff it.

Ambrose nodded his head at her words and smiled. When they arrived he wasn't at all surprised by her awe. Many people often passed by, and those that did come like his editor found great pleasure in looking around. As the walked inside he hung his jacket on a nearby coat hanger, grabbing only his phone, he would grab the rest of his things later. "Thank you...I had bought it some time ago..." His words trailed off as the sound of his name from her lips rung like bells in his head. Ambrose wished he could tell her the truth, he had had this house for more years than he cared to count, saying it had stayed in his family would be a far stretch. It would also cause questions he knew he couldn't answer.

"Ambrose I see you've returned. And brought a...human?" Ambrose glanced at Archemeadis who had sat to receive pets, he purred and Ambrose frowned. "Don't allow him to fool you, he is a pain." Ambrose looked at Archemeadis and narrowed his eyes as the cat rubbed against Emily's hand. "We can go to the common area to talk....Would you like anything to drink?"

Emily laughed at his words, "I am sure that's not totally true." she said as she happily obliged the pretty cat with scratches behind the ears, the chin and down to his tail, "Didn't you say his name was Archemeadis? Named after the famous mathematician?" interesting name for a cat, a beautiful cat. She scratched the cat behind the ears one more time before she stood and nodded following Ambrose into the common area to talk.

"I'd love an ice cold glass of water." she said at his suggestion, sliding her satchel off her shoulder to carry it over to a chair she sank into with a sigh, the chair was very comfortable and it felt good to get off her feet. Not that the walk had tired her out she was just needing to get off her feet cause she felt like she'd been on her feet all day running from class to class, then walking to work and the to Ambrose's house. It was a good thing she took today off or she'd really be needing to soak her feet in warm water when she got back to her place.

Now it was her turn to watch Ambrose walk away from her to get her drink, she loved the way he moved and you can bet she had noticed those muscles when he'd moved to get his jacket on and when he'd taken it off at his house. He was handsome, kind, and chivalrous, though handsome wasn't the top thing she'd noticed about him, though it did help a great deal, no if she was going to date anyone it would be some one that was kind, thoughtful and chivalrous, some one with manners and class. It seemed Ambrose was a man who knew how to treat a lady. She smiled warmly at him as he came back with her drink request. "Thank you for inviting me to your beautiful home." she said as she took the glass he handed her, her fingers lightly brushed his by accident as she took the glass.

Ambrose decided he would handle the cat later, he was acting like this on purpose to gauge his reaction knowing he couldn't respond in the way he wanted. When she questions the cat's name he blinked and laughed, "Not exactly. It was rather the only name he would respond to." Ambrose couldn't very well tell her the truth, he hadn't named him at all. All animals knew their names, Archemeadis had told Ambrose his name when they had first met. Thinking back on it the cat was just as cheeky then.

As they walked to the commons room Archemeadis trailed off sparing Amrose a smug look, Ambrose waited until Emily wasn't looking to give a glare his eyes flashing red. Archemeadis jumped and scurried off, Ambrose turned his attention back to the beauty before him as they walked into the common area. He leaned against the door frame as she relaxed, she looked at home and it made a smile grace his lips. When she asked for water he nodded, "Of course, Miss Emily. Excuse me for a moment." He pushed himself off the wall the muscles in his arms contracting, and his hair bouncing from the sudden movement. Turning he walked to the kitchen to grab a cup of water, from behind it was clear how much his jeans hugged his waist.

He grabbed a mug filling it up with red liquid, and grabbed a clear cup for her water. After filling the two glasses her took a sip of his own licking the liquid from his lips before walking back. He held out the glass to her and chuckled as she spoke. "You'd be the first other than my editor to see." He walked to a chair across from her processing what he had said, he looked away trying not to let his flush rise. Why did he admit she was the first person he'd let come to his home?

Emily gave a soft chuckle as Ambrose told her the reasoning behind the cat's name, "Yeah, I've heard animals will do that but usually it's because they hear things like, 'asshole', 'crazy cat', 'psycho' yelled at them so much that they start only answering to that." she teased Ambrose with a grin. "Please, no more Miss Emily. Emily will be just fine. Otherwise I will start calling you Mr. Ambrose." she added with a sweet smile.

When he handed her the cup and their fingers brushed she muttered her thanks as a pink stain lit her cheeks, surprise hit her features when he mentioned that she was the only person other than his editor that had ever been in his home. First of all, Editor? Did that mean that he was an actual author with stuff already published! Or was he just starting out with an editor? And Second of all... wait... She was the first to be in his home?! "You're joking, right. Tell me you're joking." she said looking up at him in awe.

Ambrose chuckled at her response and then request to call her by her name. He was using the formalities by habit, during the years he was young it was quite common. But, chivalry hadn't yet been dead. It was only in his nature but to prevent her tease he would. "If that is what you prefer...Emily." He flashed her a smile watching her cheeks turn pink as their fingers brushed.

He sat in the chair across from her and created his through, the slightest color reaching his cheeks. "Ah...I'm afraid not. I do try not to have people over. I prefer my solitude and privacy. As well as people not knowing the face of the author." He cleared his throat and took a sip from his cup carefully not allowing the red to stain his lips. "So..Emily...Tell me what is it you wished to discuss in private." His brow rose and he tried his best not to let his eyes wander over her body.

Oh there were lots she wanted to discuss in private but that was not the real reason she was here now, and why the heck was she thinking that way, the dream must still be affecting her and lets face it he was hot as hell. "The names came to me in a dream, you came to me in a dream. All my ideas came from a dream with you as the star. I don't know what it means but," her hand shook a bit and she glanced down as the water sloshed a bit and she took a breath and a drink to calm herself, "I am a big believer that dreams are not just dreams they carry a message or reveal things either about the past or present or both. Though I am very confused about this one."

She hadn't looked up from her hand holding the cup as she spoke, not until she admitted that the dream confused her, Emily needed to see how he reacted to this information, "Can I tell you something? From the moment I saw you," she paused for a few moments then blurted, "I felt like I knew you. Until you said the violets were your favorite flower I didn't realize I already knew that."

Ambrose looked at her watching her nervous jitters as she spoke, "I see...Well, I do not think you crazy. Dreams are a window to the soul. A plane or thin line between reality and fantasy...though I am curious what your dream might have been." A smile graced his lips and his eyes grew dark thinking back to his own racy dream. He took another sip of his drink to calm himself, he licked his lips and sighed. "Dreams do carry a message...but, I am not certain what message you are trying to explain." He couldn't tell her of his own dream, bedding her would have been a fantasy. He was already crossing a line by having her in his home.

He ran a hand through his hair as she looked up, "Speak freely Emily." When she blurted out those words he looked at her a little surprised but quickly cleared his throat to compose himself. "Well, I can assure you we've never met before Emily. You are...quite unforgettable." He gave a smile that would send shiver's up any woman's spine and looked at his drink. The coincidence of her drawing his favorite flower was...amazing, and now she said that she might have already known that. He let out a breath, "You are a very interesting woman Emily. A very lovely woman, and I won't say that you don't seem familiar. But, I'm curious, what was this dream of? If you prefer not to tell me that is fine."

Emily took a breath, glanced at the cup still in her hand then gently placed it on the side table before looking back to Ambrose and telling him about the dream, how she'd found him standing in the clearing near the water, how she felt like she'd been to the clearing before though she'd never seen it till the dream. She purposely left out describing what she'd been wearing when she found him, or lack there of. Emily also left out their embrace and the fact that it felt so real. "You called me, Emily but for some reason I wanted to tell you to call me Elizabeth." she rubbed the palms of her hands on her legs to fight the urge to reach for him. "The dream was starting to get interesting when I was awakened by my roommate and the fire alarm in my dorm building. I didn't want it to end." she said, "It gave me the idea for the notes I made about your book." she indicated her purse where the edge of her notebook was peeking out.

Ambrose finished his drink, placing his hand over his mouth as she finished speaking. His brows furrowed, how was it that her dream was as similar to the one he had just hours ago. Should he tell her he had a similar if not the same dream? No. He decided, his was much more intimate than hers, something that might have made her feel uncomfortable. He would have to call a friend later to discuss what had happened. When Ambrose heard the name Elizabeth he tensed, memories from his past flew behind his vision like a movie. When she began speaking again he relaxed a bit, he hadn't heard that name in so long.

Her dream was similar to his but he wouldn't mention his own, "I must say, Emily, I am rather flattered you dreamt of me. Though with your beauty I can't help but admit I did so myself last night. I love the idea so we can go with that...But, I would like you to work with me on this book. I can't possibly take all the credit, and your ideas are unique. That is if you wish too. I can have my editor write a contract for you, and you will be paid. Though I would hope you take time to consider my offer." Ambrose smiled, he was making a mistake, but having her close to him would prove worthwhile. He couldn't keep going to the cafe he drew to much attention.

Back