Dragon Knights of the Realm

ChelonianCommander

Strength of Steel, Will of Iron
@Crow @Blue winter rose @Alissa Ming

In the city of Alka, in the orphanage known as Lovely Faces, the children were taken inside as the sun slowly went down and the sky turns orange. Above the city Armored Drakin began taken off, making their rounds to keep the city safe from criminals and invaders alike. In bunk room of Lovely Faces orphanges, the youngsters were gathered around the orphanage's caretaker, a middle aged man with purple eyes, coal black hair, wearing a worn jersey and trousers. His hands are ragged and hard and his shoulders and face were broad, but he had a warm aura about him. Around him are the 20 residents of the orphanage, most in their human form but a few are in their dragon forms, but all were parentless. None were over 20 and only 4 were at or over the age of 14, prime Flapping age. He holds a large books of old stories and legends and reads a favored passage of the young ones out loud.

"Many centuries ago, there was a terrible war. A war that spanned all of Drurnax and the vile ones who waged this terrible war that scarred this great land was known as the Purebloods. The Purebloods had forged a mighty army of heartless, ruthless and cruel warriors and led a crusade against all who opposed them. They destroyed many cities and enslaved tens of thousands of Drakin. They stole everything they could take and burned everything they couldn't. Those who were captured were enslaved. Those who resisted were destroyed. Those who surrendered were forever crippled with their wings severed so that they can never threaten the Purebloods.

It wasn't until a great army was formed, a brave chapter united by their ideals to preserve all that is beautiful and sacred and protect all who were weak and innocent. They called themselves the Knights of the Realm and these thousands of warriors, courageous, strong and selfless, under the leadership of Grand Master Elzidon, met the bulk of the Pureblood's army and their King, Ragnus in the battle. They were outnumbered but fought with their all. When the battle was at its bleakest, all eyes were on Grand Master Elzidon and the Pureblood's leader Ragnus who were entangled in a vicious aerial battle. At the battle's climax, both bloodied and tired, the two charged at each other for a final attack.....shall I continue?" He asks, seeing that as always a few of the children seemed nervous and anxious. One of the children speaks up, a young boy named Raynold wearing a makeshift helmet out of cloth and leather.

"What, no! We need to know what happens next!" He argues.

"Of course, of course, but I don't want to give you children nightmares. Besides, it's almost time for dinner meaning it's time for you all to wash up. Now go you lot. Be good and I'll finish the story tomorrow's dusk." He said and almost immediately the children disperse, running off the moment he allows them to leave. One of them stays behind, a little girl named Junia carrying a wooden puppet of a plated knight

"Mr. William, are the Knights real?" She asks and William was going to speak, but before he can an older Drakin, the oldest in the orphanage in fact speaks up.

"Of course not." Sunna speaks up. "It's just a story made by elders to scare children into behaving. There are no Knights of the Realms and the Purebloods are just a story." She said before looking at William. "Ain't that right?" William didn't really reply as he picks up Junia.

"Stories are based on legends and legends are based on realities. I like to think the Knights of the Realm are a bit of both. Now go do your chores. Jane & Aquario, you're helping the children wash up. Marka & Sunna, you're on stew duty." He tells them. "If you do your work fast then by bed we can start Flapping training." He tells the two before walking out of the room with Junia in tow.

----------
@Crow @Blue winter rose

In the washrooms, the orphans are expected to wash their legs, arms and hands before eating. There are two large metal buckets of warm water, heated by coal fire. The orphans were a rowdy bunch, as expected of children as they didn't like to wash up nor did they like to stay in human form long enough to actually get the washing done.

----------
@Alissa Ming

In the kitchen there were two large cast iron cauldrons over hot coal fires with water bubbling inside and a counter with many simple ingredients for the two Drakin to prepare. Potatoes, carrots, onions, as well many salted pounds of Neg meat. Sunna decides to prepare the vegetables leaving Marka with the meats to cut. As Sunna works she rants to Marka.

"William thinks that stories will improve our chances of being adopted. I say we should just let the kids know that the stories of Knights and heroes are nothing more then One-Horn droppings and teach them something practical like farming or logging. At least parents would have a reason to pick up a kid." Sunna grumbles. She cuts the peeled potatoes, onions and carrots into uneven threes and fours before dumping them into the pots of boiling water.

Last edited:
“Ok everyone in your human forms for washing. Hup hup.” Jane commanded in a tone that made it very clear she wouldn’t accept a no. Quickly she washed up the face of one of the smaller children with one hand while she hold her hand on the shoulder of one of the wilder ones so it wouldn’t run of despite her warning. She didn’t really mind helping around with the younger children. “no don’t do that.” She called grabbing the hand of a boy who splashed water in the face of another child. The child she was washing before took the chance and ran off. He was already washed, or at least good enough so it didn’t really matter and she let the child ran away. There was no need to chase every child if not strictly necessary. It would take for ever and they didn’t had forever. Jane was super exited for the training and missing it because washing took forever was not something she would be happy with.

@Crow @ChelonianCommander

"But the stories are so fascinating, aren't they?" Marka replied to Sunna. "I mean, if the Knights were real, wouldn't it be a treat to become one? I'm not saying I believe it, but I can understand why someone would." She started helping with the food preparation as she spoke. "But I see your point. Stories are well and good for the younger kids. Gives them something to hope for and strive for and all that, but why not teach practical skills as well. Then at least we'd be skilled in something other than stories."

@Alissa Ming

Sunna scoffs. "Yeah. Hope doesn't get people anywhere. Skill and talent is what gets you anywhere in life. Just wishing and dreaming doesn't do jack in my experience." Sunna said before throwing a bunch of uneven vegetable cuts unto the pots. "If you asks me the Knights and stuff just gets people's hopes up then torn down once they realize that no matter how much they hope, nothing's ever gonna change." She replies.

----------

@Blue winter rose @Crow

A little over a half of the kids cooperate but only to run off almost immediately to the dining area with their friends, but the other half not so much as once one was done as they were a but more fussy. They either didn't like to take baths or they were just boys who were at that age where to be touched by a girl was considered yucky to them so they tried their best to pull away and some even tried to refused to turn back into their human forms to avoid washing up. Jane's latest customer is a boy named Nathaniel who made bit of a fuss but in the end allowed Jane to clean him up for dinner. The moment she finished, he pulled his hands away and run out for dinner.

Aquario, being more of the orphanage's older sister, had an easier time keeping the children still as most of them liked her enough to grant her that luxury.

"Oh dear, aren't you all a playful bunch," Aquarios helps the various children with washing their hands and feet. She hums a lighthearted, soft melody, meant to calm them all down.

"There we go, you're all nice, squick and clean."

Aquarios looks at Jane.

"Well Jane, why not you treat them a bit calmly? Sounding jumpy only makes them jumpy. Even an attempt would be appreciated, by them, of course."

Aquarios continues to hum her tune.

@Blue winter rose @ChelonianCommander

Jane looked at Nathaniel running off to dinner. Then she looked at Aquarios humming an song to keep the children calm. She wished Micah would be there instead. He would laugh and somehow managed to get all the children washed and cleaned up while playing. But, Micah wasn't here.

“It makes them listen, as long as the obey long enough so they get washed up quickly I don’t mind they are jumpy. I want to be finished as soon as possible so we can start early with the training.” she answered the girl. While she grabbed the arm of another child running by to wash. “Don’t you want to learn to fly?” she asked the girl.
@Crow @ChelonianCommander

"I never said it got you very far in life. In and of itself, anyway." Marka protested. She had to admit, Sunna had a point. There was no point in hopeful stories without skills to back them. Yes, it would have been nice if the Knights existed, and it would have been nice to think of being able to join them one day. But without useful skills, that hope was worth next to nothing. Heck, false hope was worth next to nothing. But at the same time, "I suppose though, it can't hurt for the young ones to have that hope, for now. As long as they're also being taught actual skills."

@Crow @Blue winter rose

There wasn't much to do really. There were only 20 children, a relatively small amount when compared to a larger cities and bigger orphanages. With the children as clean as they can get, they all ran downstairs into the dining room for dinner. The dining room is simple, with 3 tables for the 20 children and a table set seperate for the older kids, including Marka, Sunna, Jane and Aquario. The children made quite the ruckus in the dining room as children usually would as the food has yet to come out.

----------

@Alissa Ming

Sunna rolls her eyes and she hears the kids that were now in the dining room. "Well looks like the runts are finally washed. How's the stew? Is it done?" She asked Marka and looks into the pot to see if the stew had finally finished cooking.

"There's no changing your mind, now is there?" Aquarious smiles back. "Truth be told, I never really thought about it. My people, they were all one with the oceans, not the skies, so I think more about swimming. I see the skies each and every day, but I haven't seen the ocean in eons, or its depths ever. I think more about the things I find myself lacking, than the things I will always see and know will be there."

Aquarios hummed her tune once again as all assembled around the table.

"Calm down, everyone, there'll be plenty to eat, so there's no need to ask loudly~"

Aquarios looks over to Jane.

"I have this handled, but something tells me the stew needs more hands to hand it out."

@ChelonianCommander @Blue winter rose

"I think so. It smells good at least." Marka said. "I certainly hope so, young ones tend to have massive appetites."

Jane followed everyone to the diner room. She liked swimming as well being an Seaspear but, flying was more important. Seeing the sky wasn’t the same as being in the sky. Besides learning to fly was another step towards being able to leave the orphanage and helping her brother rebuilding the farm.

Jane looked at Aquarios, it irritates her a bit the girl needed to point out what needs to be done. “there is no need for you to tell me what I should do.” she answered to the girl. No need at all, on the end of the day she was older and stayed in the orphanage longer than she did.

@Alissa Ming

"Well I'm pretty much done. Let's serve the runts. The faster we finish up eating, the faster we can get Flapping over with." She said and began scooping up the savory stew and putting them into wooden bowls before taking them out the dining area. She knew the process rather well, it was the youngest served first, then up from there. The oldest kids were served last.

@Blue winter rose @Crow

While the kids were a handful, the one few times they actually stood still were when they were eating. However even this was a bit of a hassle, as some kids would rather eat with their hands rather then any utensils and some still would rather eat in their dragon form, causing a big mess, especially for the younger 4-8 year olds who didn't really care for politeness or cleanliness.

Marka helped Sunna serve the food, following her lead. First to the younger children, then to the older children. She too was eager for this to be done.

"Everyone, everyone, please settle down~" Aquarios hummed. "The less of a mess you make now, the less of a mess you and I will have to clean up later, and the more time we'll have to play together. You all like games, don't you~?"

@Crow @Alissa Ming @Blue winter rose

The kids listened to Aquarios the most out of the 4 older kids. She was the nicest out of all of them, talking softly and spending the most time with them so when she talked, they listened. The children did what Aquario said and 'tried' to be a bit more neat and clean while they ate, but as such children will be children and it didn't take long for the kids to once again regress into their messy eating.

Finally when all the kids were served, the older ones were allowed time to eat and talk as Sunna set down larger bowls of stew for herself, Marka, Aquarios and Jane. The four had their own little table assigned to them, so they were allowed to eat in peace without any of the young children disrupting them.

"Well that's it for dinner. All that's left is Flapping practice." Said Sunna. "You three don't know this, but a lot of Dragons freak out on their first Flapping. Jumping off a cliff isn't everyone's cup of tea." She said arrogantly.

Marka rolled her eyes, praying for patience. She was looking forward to flapping practice. She wanted to fly more than anything. Still, she supposed Sunna had a point. Some people were afraid of heights, and it wasn't like jumping off a cliff was necessarily the safest thing to do.

Jane glanced over at Sunna. “actually I do know that.” Jane answered. “I didn’t forget the face Micah pulled when he first had to jump of a cliff.” She added grinning about the memory. She had teased him mercilessly with it. Too be honest the idea of jumping of a cliff did sound a bit scary, but being one step closer to be being an adult and able to help Micah rebuild the farm was worth doing scary things. Besides flying was really cool according to Micah.

Sunna actually forgot Micah. He was a few years younger then her, but managed to begin fly after his third week. When Jane mentioned Micah she goes back on what she had said. "I-I mean..it's not actually a cliff. But if a youngblood like Micah can fly I'm pretty sure I'm just a couple days away." She brags.

Jane laughed, “yeah sure.” She said. She actually felt a bit sad for the girl. 20 years old and still not being able to fly. Jane didn’t think she could manage to live in the orphanage for another 5 years. Micah left just a couple of months ago but, it felt like years. She wasn’t exactly alone and some of the orphans were nice but, she still felt lonely. The presence of the other orphans wasn't the same as having family around, actual real family.

“well, when do we start?” Jane asked enthusiastically eager to start looking around for William.

@Blue winter rose @Crow @Alissa Ming

A hand grabs Jane's shoulder. "Whenever you four are ready." Said Willam. He had snuck into the dining area from his office, wearing loose fitting clothes and carrying a satchel of bandages, medical balms and herbs and painkilling drinks. "Sorry for the wait, but I had some trouble finding the aid kit. However I have found the kit and I think it's nigh time for us to begin your flight training." He explains. "And don't worry about what cliffs and the like. That's not until the latest stages of flight training." He said, looking directly at Sunna, who avoids his gaze, eating her stew.

Back