Dragons and their Slayers 1X1 {Pupper and L2W}

"Oh...but...they're still your parents right? Like...if you saw them...you would call them mama and papa, right?"

If the dragon had eyebrows he would raise one at the girl's comment. "I would call them Ametrine and Topaz. Our kind does not revere parents the same as your kind, Pearl."

"That's so sad. If I had parents, I'd call them mama and papa." Her voice fades sadly and she snuggles closer to the massive black beast, her bright white hair seeming to shimmer in the fading light. "What will you do with me now?" She questions with a hint of worry.

"I'm not doing anything with you, Pearl. You're free now, you can choose what you want to do. I will pass on a word of caution, though, you are not an average human, my child... and for that, the people of Shar will continue to hunt you in an attempt to harness your power." The dragon had used her name for the first time and genuinely seemed worried for her wellbeing, "If you choose to stay with me, I will take care of you but we will have to leave this place or find a way to live within it... though I am weary that we will find a place for ourselves in this land."

"Wherever you go, I want to go, Shorl." Pearl replies. She yawns and a few minutes later, she's asleep at his feet.
Ametrine stretched her wings and neck as she awoke. The body of her mate was curled beside her and she stretched herself over him. And then...she remembered he was dead. Ametrine's eyes shot open and she pushes to her feet, stumbling slightly over the wings and tail of a dragon sleeping beside her.

Terrance had exited the barn and took refuge inside his cabin. He walked in circles in the living space, his hand resting dutifully on his chin as he mumbled to himself. "This could be my only chance to get that amulet! But it would mean turning one of them against their will... Oh what would great great great so many greats grandpa say!? Oh Nightengale... my name. What do I do!?" the boy continued walking in circles until he became dizzy and collapsed to the floor. The jewel Merek had given to him fell out of his pocket and out in front of him. Terrance stared at the jewel, surrounding by his years of work on dragons. He looked around the room contemplating what to do until finally, he stood up with a burst of energy. "I must take this opportunity!"

The moon began to descend and with it, the night sky disappeared. The sun began to emerge, bringing with it a blanket of light and crisp blue skies. The sound of birds chirping could be heard and a soft morning breeze blew through the barn. Merek was dreaming about a time of peace between dragons and humans and how he first met Ametrine. A small smile appeared on his face until suddenly something or someone, tripping over him stirred him and his heavy eyes began to open. A black iris appeared and fixated on Ametrine's beautiful purple scales, his gaze moved from her to a scaled tail on the ground near her. It wasn't purple, it didn't belong to Ametrine. His eyes followed the silvery white scales as they moved from the tail, to the legs, to... to himself!? Fear fell upon Merek and then panic. The newly formed dragon attempted to scurry to his feet, continuously falling and knowing things over. The animals in the barn quickly grew uneasy as the beast fumbled about, his tail erratically moving through the barn like a fish out of water; his head looking around desperately for answers. "WHAT THE HELL. WHAT THE HELL. I'M DREAMING. I'M DREAMING. I'M DREAMING. AMETRINE!?"

Last edited:
STOP MOVING! She orders sternly. He was about to tear the barn down on top of them. She turns towards the doors of the barn and pushes them open. "Walk out, slowly...I think that Nightingale has turned you, despite us telling him not to. Now watch your tail!"

Merek instantly stopped moving as he heard Ametrine's firm voice. He looked at her, his eyes desperate for her help. He stood to his feet, all four of them now, and attempted to exit the barn; his legs shaking beneath him like a new born deer. His tail continues to flail behind him, a new appendage that the Merek was not used to. He attempted to focus on it to try and gain control, but merely only limited its range of motion as it flopped around. Once outside he turned to quickly to Ametrine, "What do you mean he turned me!? This isn't a dream!? I'm a.. I'm a.. I'm a DRAGON!?"

"As dragon as I am." Ametrine replied. She would've laughed at his floundering steps except she was too angry at Nightengale. She trots past Merek and bursts through Terrance's door with a single bash of her tail. She snakes her head into the house, snatches him out of his bed and carries him by the collar out the door, dropping him infront of Merek. "Change him back..." She growls threateningly, baring her teeth, her hot breath ruffling his hair.

"Oh no... no way. This can't be happening, I am not a dragon. I cannot be a dragon.. nope. No way, no how!" Merek rambled in disbelief, unnoticing of Ametrine moving toward Terrance's house and snatching him out of his bed. The boy now falls on his read, staring up at two large dragons; one completely afraid and the other angry.

Terrance looked at Merek in wonderment, completely ignoring Ametrine's angered demand. He pushed himself to his feet, brushed his red curls from his face and stared at Merek. "Wow. It really worked! I was a bit skeptical .. I've never actually done transformation magic on a real life person before, you know just rabbits.. and mice and things." he began to spiral into one of his tangents.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'VE NEVER DONE THIS TO A PERSON BEFORE?" Hearing Terrance's confession snapped Merek out of his rambling and he now faced Terrance, anger assuming on his face. "LISTEN TO AMETRINE AND TURN ME BACK! She knows how to be a dragon, I don't! I might accidentally kill you. Or purposely!"

Terrance gingerly smiled as Merek continued his threats, the fact that he didn't know how to control himself was somewhat amusing to Terrance. "Sorry but I can't!. You see, I need the amulet. Remember what we were talking about yesterday?"

"Neither of us care what you were rambling about yesterday." Ametrine snarled. "Cast the spell again...return him to his natural state...or I'll eat you...starting with your legs." Merek could feel that she really wouldn't...the thought disgusted her. Still...if it got Terrance focused on what was important...She growled deeper, opening her maw.

Terrance turned to Ametrine with his most serious look, though not very serious by any means at all. "Listen here, drag-- I mean, Ametrine! I cannot turn him back, nope. Simply can't. WHY? You might ask that question I guess... you seem a bit peeved by this whole thing... I know I sort of did this without your permission but I real--" he looked up Ametrine, her mouth beginning to open. "You see! I can only transform something from its original form into something else. Not the reverse! To do the reverse I need the amulet.. and well you know, eating me ... well. As tasty as I might be, but please don't eat me, means that he wouldn't ever become human again!"

Ametrine huffed, blowing a puff of hot smoke in Terrance's face. She turned back to Merrek. "It seems that I must train you to be a Dragon, hatchling...if you are to survive more than a few hours. She marches up to him, suddenly enthralled by the beauty of his silver scales. They shimmered in the sunlight...a sparkling beacon for every damn slayer out there.
"First of all, we need to deal with that tail." She come up behind him and snaps her jaw down on the meaty part of his muscle. Throwing her head clear as he instinctively swung his tail around. "There...now you know where the muscle is and how to control it."

Merek looked at Ametrine, his black eyes still showing signs of panic and fear. "Hatchling...? A FEW HOURS?" as Ametrine's teeth came down on Merek's tail he roared, vibrating the land beneath him and causing Terrance to smile like a small school girl.

"SIMPLY MAGNIFICENT!" the boy yelled, trying to be heard over the roar. "Mr. dragon sir, I must say... You make a very nice looking dragon! Wouldn't you agree, Mrs. dragon mam?" He looked to Ametrine, now giving her a colourful nickname.

Merek growled at the boy, "I should just eat you!"

Ametrine knocked Terrance off his feet with her tail. "My name is Ametrine. You WILL show respect, or I will relieve you of your hand." She snarled. Ametrine looked back over at Merrik. "Follow me." She led Merek away from Terrance and towards a rock cropping not far from the edge of the forest. He needed to focus. "Merek...I know this is not optimal but you must concentrate. If slayers were to find us right now, you would put both of us in incredible danger. Now first and foremost you must be able to move in that body like you would in your human form. Feel your weight, your legs, use your tail to help balance you. Stretch out your wings...take control of your body."

Merek let out a strange laugh at the sight of Terrance being knocked over and then promptly followed Ametrine as he stumbled about. He listened to her cautious words and then suddenly realized their importance; the bond. If he died, she died. He began to calm down and a seriousness took to his face. Take control of my body. How am I supposed to do that, I've never had four legs. I've never had a tail. I've never had wings... he thought to himself. Marek began to stumble about again, attempting to master the walk on all fours. His tail swung behind him, though not as wildly as it had done before; Ametrine's little trick had worked. He was a fair distance away from her now, his body giant against the grass. He was a sizable dragon, much larger than she, and as he pondered how to spread his wings he caught Ametrine observing him in a careful manner.

Merek closed his eyes, thinking about the extra appendages he had acquired. He focused on his wings, opening them up and spreading them fully. His silvery white scales shimmered against the light and his wingspan was huge, taking up a majority of the field. If Merek could master being a dragon, like he was a human, he would be a force to be reckoned with.

"Very good. Try flapping them." Ametrine encourages him. She stretches out her own wings and flaps gently and slowly, showing him the rhythm. "Good, good, feel your muscles...feel the wind. Now more power, don't worry about flying yet."
When she was satisfied he was finally moving well enough, she approached him. "Now, you must learn to access the fire in your belly. I'm sorry, this won't be pleasant." Ametrine suddenly charges him, hitting his stomach full force with her body, knocking him over easily. A burst of flame erupts from his mouth unbidden, allowing him to feel the power and where it came from. While he was laid out on the grass, she presses her foot firmly in the center of his stomach. "Feel it? That's where your life fire lies. It is a dragon's most vulnerable spot. Protect this part of your body at all costs."
As Merek felt the pressure on his stomach he realized by life fire, she meant heart. His heart was beating like crazy within his stomach...and somehow, through magic...that was the source of his fire.

Merek moved through the motions as Ametrine guided him. A curious Terrance finally appeared at the edge of the grass opening, but this time he knew better to keep his distance and observed from afar. Merek caught a glance of him before returning to his training. Ametrine was patient, clear, calm, and determined. He imagined this was how she would've taught her baby.

THUMP the dragon's body fell against the ground and a burning sensation filled his throat as flames appeared from his mouth. There were small but they were there. He listened to Ametrine's words of wisdom, Life Fire. My heart? The heart is the source of their fire-breathing... does that mean. Does that mean I will be different from her? He thought about his ancestry; demi-god. Merek pushed to his feet and thought about how to breathe fire again, he focused and summoned a roar of flames from his belly. With an actual breath of fire, rather than spits, it was clear that there was something was different. A mixture of blue, white, and black appeared out of Merek's mouth and danced in the grass fields as it scorched them. What..? he closed his mouth and looked to Ametrine for answers. "That wasn't normal fire. What was that?"

Ametrine retreats back a few feet, startled by the strange blue and white fire. "I...I don't know. Perhaps..." She thinks... "You are a demi-god Merek...perhaps that is the reason for your strange colored fire."

Ametrine's words echoed through Terrance's head in disbelief. The Nightengale family had spent decades searching for demi-gods in order to turn them to a dragon in hopes of creating a new species that could face the dragon king. Realizing that the lost himself in thought, he gapes and stumbles a little closer to the two dragons. "
"You're a..., a, a demi-god!?!?!" He squeals. "Oh, oh, oh...I just turned a demi-god into a dragon! Oh lucky day!" the boy could not contain his excitement as he jumped up and down.

Merek looked to Terrance, shocked to hear that he knew what a demi-god was; that he knew what he was. "You know what's happening to me then, explain!" The young boy smiled ear to ear, "Demi-god and dragon blood! The most powerful combination in this world! Next to the power of a god itself!". Merek was clearly becoming agitated with the young boy and his riddled way of speaking; "But why is my fire blue!? You little brat, you need to be more specific! What do you mean the most powerful combination in the world!?"

Terrance was bouncing and giggling like a child. Ametrine suddenly knocked him over again and pinned him beneath her claws. "Dragons, dragons, they have the largest mana pool of natural creatures, but demi-gods have an even greater potential for power. What happens when you put near unlimited power with a near unlimited power source." Terrance slapped Ametrines feet with glee. "Power that could nearly rival a god."

Panic began to settle deep inside Merek's belly. He looked stunned at the boy's words. Power that could nearly rival a god "What else do you know about dragons who are demi-gods!?" Terrance began to laugh even more, he was bursting at the seams now; ""I DON"T KNOW!" Terrance exclaims ecstatic. "No one has ever done it before! Ha! I'm the first! I'm the first! I've rivaled even my great grandfather and I don't even have his amulet yet."

Ametrine snorts in annoyance and releases him. She too had begun to feel the welling power growing in Merek, even as they spoke. Too much power could very well kill him. They needed to turn him back to normal as soon as possible. "Where is this amulet?" She demands. "Top of Clover Mountain. Buried within the tomb of my great grandfather. But beware of the drakens that live there." Drakens...nasty little beasts, similar in build to a dragon but not at all sentient. They were frequently called the pirana's of the air, and for good reason. A single flock could raze a village, leaving not even the buildings in their wake. They hated the sunlight, however, and thus often stayed in the catacombs and tombs, content to feed on one another.

A feeling sunk within Merek's heart. With each fleeting moment he felt like he would be trapped in this form forever and the boy's excitement only brought paranoia. Terrance and Ametrine talked about where to acquire the amulet to change him back but he was barely paying attention now. What if I am stuck like this forever. He looked up at the two of them, Terrance rambling on like normal and Ametrine looking more worried than usual. Her calm demeanor fled her and this worried Merek even more. "What happens if I don't turn back?" he said weakly. Ametrine looks over at him. "You may very well die. A dragon's body can contain only so much mana and power...yours is increasing steadily...your life fire won't be able to handle it.

You may very well die. You may very well die... You may very well die...

Merek's heart sunk even further, a pit had formed inside his stomach and his entire body felt heavy. Fear returned to his eyes, "I will... die?" his words were choking back tears. "But I'm a demi-god... I can't die." Ametrine looked over to Merek, her eyes had softened knowing that he was terrified. "Perhaps when your body was not restricted by a dragon body...you couldn't. But...I can already feel the power growing in you...and while you may be able to contain and incredible amount, there will be a point where your life fire will no longer be able to withstand it. That is why no one has ever turned demi-gods into dragons."

"How do we do it then, how do I turn back?" Merek asked, his voice flat. "By getting this fool's amulet" She snarled at Terrance. Terrance waved sheepishly from a distance, now realizing what he did had serious re-precautions. "How long... how long for us to get there? How in the hell am I supposed to even get there!?" Merek asked dumbfounded, he could no longer make clear sense of what was what anymore. "It takes 4 days of flight to get to the mountain he spoke of. Once you learn to walk, you will learn to fly." Ametrine replied. "You've gotta be kidding me!? You want me to fly!?" Merek retorted, shocked by the dragon's request. "How else do you plan to get to the top of the mountain, hatchilng? Walking?"

Is she trying to make fun of the situation? Does she think this is funny... she couldn't possibly... Merek grunted at Ametrine's insult. "Give me a break, Ametrine. It's not like you were turned into a human... this is freaking me out!" Ametrine looked at Merek very seriously now, "And the more you freak out the harder it will be for you to learn what you need to in order to save your life." Amentrine says sternly. She was trying to save his life and he was on the verge of panic. She lets out a dragonic sigh. "Lay down." She orders. Ametrine takes a deep breath and begins to blow hot air over his scales. In her mind flickers a memory of Topaz freaking out over something and her repeating the same procedure. It had calmed him...the heat a comforting massage...she hoped it would calm Merek as well and help him concentrate. Merek obliged quickly. He lay in the field, the grass tickling his hide. He saw the image of Topaz in his mind as if it was his own memory. He felt Ametrine's warm air across his face and in an instant, his heart slowed and he became calm. "I'm sorry Ametrine. I know that it is important, for both of our survivals... I just don't know what to do with this. Thank you for helping me..."

You would do the same for me... the soft voice echoed in Merek's mind. Merek stood once again, "we should get started then. How in the hell do I fly?" Ametrine's body shook with a deep laugh. "You must first master walking and using your tail before you can fly." The male dragon seemed somewhat insulted by Ametrine's response, he grunted "I CAN WALK!" and attempted a straight line, only to fall over again. He got up and tried once more, this time more successful "see?" he said, looking at Ametrine with a smug look. Ametrine smacked him with her tail, knocking him over with ease. "You're legs are too close together. Spread them out more." she instructed as she demonstrated how to walk as if teaching a newborn. Merek follows suit, quickly picking up Ametrine's lesson. "It's kind of like crawling...." he mumbled to himself before falling over. He shook his head and pushed himself up, walking again. He was truly determined to not let Ametrine down.

The next three hours were spent training in basic movements. Everything from walking, running jumping, striking with the tail, and many other movements that would be necessary in battle. She finally says, "Now to put all of that into practical use. I'm sure by now you are getting hungry, no? Merek collapsed as Ametrine took a break to speak, he was panting heavily and clearly exhausted. He truly was trying his best to soak in all of the knowledge Ametrine was teaching him. His stomach growled, "I could eat an entire cow I think..."

"Good, that is the average amount a dragon eats ever other day or so. Time to go hunting." She leads him to the forest. Average? Jesus... I'm going to spend all day eating more than anything... being a dragon is a lot of work. Merek pushed himself up and followed Ametrine into the forest, he watched her admirably. What a determined lass... He shook the thoughts from his head, feeling something strange as he watched Ametrine. "Are we actually going to eat cow?" he asked, diverting his attention from himself. "I doubt we'll find one in this forest. We're more likely to find some dear or elk." She turns to him. "Now that you've learned to walk, I will show you how to walk with minimal sound." She lowered her body ever so slightly. Her movements purposeful and practiced. "Always try and put your back feet where your front feet have been so you avoid snapping as many branches as possible. Keep your head and tail low. We may be large creatures but I have snuck up on many a prey this way."

Merek seemed a bit disappointed that they would not be eating cow. He hunched his body, mimicking Ametrine and followed her lesson word for the word, act for act. The way he moved behind her was almost as if he was her shadow. Sneaking around was something that Merek was naturally skilled at. "This I can do..." he whispered in her mind. Ametrine chuckles as his tail hits a tree with a loud crack. "Yes, now pay attention to your tail." Soon enough a herd of deer appear in the clearing. "Alright, use what I've taught you and catch yourself some dinner."
Merek felt embarrassed, he was so sure that he had it. His body came to a quick halt after the deer appeared and Ametrine ordered him to catch dinner.

Merekcrept closer to the deer. his eyes following them as they moved slowly in the field, picking at the grass with their mouths.
Merek picked out the deer he wanted to catch and with a quick motion catapulted himself out of the brush and into the clearing. The deer scattered at his movements but he drew close to the one he had set his eyes on, his massive wings hovering around it, his tail swinging to knock it down. The deer fell as Merek's tail swooped underneath it and within seconds, his giant teeth bit into the deer; securing his dinner. Ametrine was indeed, a good teacher. Ametrine flew straight over him, catching her own as they fled. She tore into the deer, starting with the head. There was no need to cook it as a dragon. Merek hesitated to eat his catch, he had never eaten something raw before and his stomach wasn't agreeing with it. Then it occurred to him, he could easily cook his meal. He felt the warmth in his belly, focused on his life-fire... and summoned a small breath of flames. The control in the velocity and volume of his fire breathing was surprising as he was only just learning his dragon form, but Merek was able to summon just enough to cook his food, careful not to burn it.

Merek feels Ametrine's approval. "You learn quickly, for a hatchling." She chuckles. "Had you been born a dragon, you would've made a fine one indeed." Merek raised his head, chewing the deer's body in his maw as he looked at Ametrine. "I have you to thank, Ametrine. Without such a good teacher... I would probably already be dead." Ametrine nods. They finish their meal, resting in the sun for a time before continuing the training. By the end of the day, Merek was gliding around the fields. She flies over to him on his final landing. "You have progressed significantly. Tomorrow you will begin flying and we will begin our journey. Merek was clearly tired, he was pushing himself for her... He didn't want to let her down, he felt responsible. Their lives were now connected and he had to ensure that he lived. Merek looked to her and simply nodded, he knew the road ahead would be tough, grueling but with Ametrine at his side, he felt at ease.
Ametrine... what would I do without you...

Ametrine made her way to a nearby cave as the sun was beginning to set. She curled up inside, leaving enough room for Merek's large body beside her. Merek followed her slowly and laid down beside her, his body lightly touching hers as the cave was not quite big enough for the two of them. Merek was too tired to pay attention to their closeness and his eyes grew heavy with each passing second. "Thank you, Ametrine..." he said softly. "You don't know how much you mean to me right now."

Back