Full Escape The Night: Fantasy Season 5

DawnsEarlyLight

UPDATE!! One of our players has just gone on hiatus, so now there is officially one spot still free. Contact @DawnsEarlyLight for requirements and character sheets.

escape-the-night_1296x.jpg

...and as you answer the door, you see none other than YouTube personality Bretman Rock wearing a black and gold Greco-Roman outfit complete with helmet and sandals. He exchanges a few greetings with you before giving you a scroll and a wooden chest, urging you to look through both items as quickly as possible and promising to explain everything.

While Bretman waits outside, you go back inside and set down the chest, then open the scroll and begin to read it.

“The Society Against Evil needs your help!

“You may have heard of us through Joey Graceffa’s show “Escape the Night” on YouTube Premium. While it is true that Mr. Graceffa has been involved in some of our most recent missions, the Society lost contact with him during an assignment at the Museum of the Dead earlier this month. Efforts are currently underway to locate Mr. Graceffa, but a far more urgent situation has recently come to our attention.

Those of you who are familiar with the show Escape the Night may have heard of a being known as the “cursed god”, and the Society has learned of a prophecy dating back to Ancient Greece saying that he would escape from his imprisonment in Tartarus and bring about the end of the world as we know it, unless certain mortals from the future travel back in time to stop him. To that end, given each of your particular skills, we are now reaching out to you to help us with this mission. If you succeed, you will have earned a place among the ranks of the Society Against Evil. But if you fail... believe us when we say you don’t want to know.

One of our newest agents, whom you may recognize as Bretman Rock, will take you by chariot to a ship that will transport you to Ancient Greece, where you will begin your mission. You have also been given a chest containing clothing that corresponds to a specific persona from ancient times. When you are ready to depart, you must be wearing this clothing and cannot carry anything with you from the modern era, or else the chariot and the ship will both remain hidden from your eyes. Bretman will answer as much of your questions as he can, and more will be explained to you in good time after you arrive, but bear in mind that time is of the essence.

Farewell, and best of luck."

The names “Joey Graceffa” and the “Society Against Evil” sound vaguely familiar. Weren’t they part of a show on YouTube Premium that was kind of like this, with several YouTubers being invited to parties in different time periods? And come to think of it, didn't those parties always somehow lead to everyone taking part in different challenges that resulted in all but a few of them being horribly murdered?

But maybe you're overthinking this. That was all fake, after all... wasn't it?

Bretman still stands at your doorstep, not-so-patiently awaiting your response.

For those of you who don't know, here's a quick summary of the show Escape The Night (which is currently available for free HERE). Having said that, I intend to design this RP so that no prior knowledge of the actual show is needed to enjoy the RP, so no worries if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Escape the Night is a fantasy-horror web series/reality competition show on YouTube Originals (currently available for free HERE), created and hosted by Joey Graceffa. The show follows the adventures of Joey (playing the role of "The Savant") and several other YouTubers as they become entangled in the exploits of the Society Against Evil: an organization that has battled various forms of supernatural evil for centuries.

The basic format of the show has Joey and a handful of other YouTubers going back in time (the time period and setting changes with every season) and having to accomplish a wide range of missions and challenges in order to return home to the present, defeating the main villain of each season in the process. However, each episode also has a final challenge in which two YouTubers are chosen by vote to compete head-to-head; the winner survives, but the loser is killed off, typically in a horrific manner corresponding to the challenge.

Of course, it isn't always that simple, and there are a number of ways in which the show can and DOES deviate from this standard formula. I'd explain how, but I wouldn't want to spoil it for you guys, now would I? ;)

Last edited:
Glad you like it! :emoji_blush:

Since characters can and will be killed off in this RP, I’m planning to have each person play multiple characters so that nobody is left out after only one death, so we most likely won’t need too many players to get this started up. I’m also planning to use character stats and a dice rolling system to make the missions and challenges fair for everyone, but I’m still in the process of figuring out how the dice system on this site works, so any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, here are some questions:
  • Should player characters in this RP (not including helpers or other NPCs) be limited to YouTubers (real or fictional), or would you prefer to include non-YouTubers as characters as well? The actual show traditionally features only YouTubers as contestants, but technically it makes no difference to the game either way, so I’m more than happy to go with whichever route everyone prefers.
  • I wrote the intro to this thread based on the setting and time period for this RP being the Ancient Greco-Roman Period, but I’ll gladly change it to any other time period that you guys would rather use instead. The only time periods that would be off-limits are those that have already been used as the main time periods of the canon seasons (the 1920s, the Victorian Era, the 1970s, and the 1940s, respectively). So is Ancient Greco-Roman okay, or is there another time period that you would like to use instead?
  • How many characters (player or NPC) would you be willing to play as?
  • Are there any particular player personas (e.g. “The Novelist” or “The Railroad Tycoon” from the Victorian Era setting of Season 2) that might interest you?

Last edited:
  • Should player characters in this RP (not including helpers or other NPCs) be limited to YouTubers (real or fictional), or would you prefer to include non-YouTubers as characters as well? The actual show traditionally features only YouTubers as contestants, but technically it makes no difference to the game either way, so I’m more than happy to go with whichever route everyone prefers.
I suppose it would be nicer to have them as stuff other than youtubers, but im happy to do whatever :)
  • I wrote the intro to this thread based on the time period for this RP being the Ancient Greco-Roman Period, but I’ll gladly change it to any other time period that you guys would rather use instead. The only time periods that would be off-limits are those that have already been used as the main time periods of the canon seasons (the 1920s, the Victorian Era, the 1970s, and the 1940s, respectively). So is Ancient Greco-Roman okay, or is there another time period that you would like to use instead?
I dont really know anything about the Ancient Greco-Roman period, but I can research about it
  • How many characters (player or NPC) would you be willing to play as?
3 or 4 at most, more than that and I start to mix up names :emoji_sweat_smile:
  • Are there any particular personas (e.g. “The Novelist” or “The Railroad Tycoon” from the Victorian Era setting of Season 2) that might interest you?
I'm gonna watch some episodes today, because I dont know much about it other than what you've explained.
sorry those answers where unhelpful XD

Well the only thing you would need to know about the personas for this RP is that they will correspond to whichever time period is used. For instance, if we do go Greco-Roman, some viable personas would include “The Gladiator”, “The Charioteer”, “The Philosopher”, or anything else that would fit in that time period. Or if we were to use, say, a medieval time period, valid personas could include “The Court Jester”, “The Squire”, “The Nobleman”, etc. Consequently, whichever time period is selected will affect what kinds of personas are available. Does that help?

Thanks for your input!

BTW, since you mentioned that you can handle up to 3-4 characters, we should be able to start this up with just one more player, or do this as a 1x1 instead if nobody else is interested. A good range for the player cast (excluding NPCs) would probably be 6 to 12 player characters, so for each of us to play 3-4 characters would be enough to fit this range. What do you think?

Welcome aboard catradora! :D

So now that we’ve got some interest going, I think now would be a good time for me to start working on the OOC thread.

In the meantime, here is a tentative CS and list of character stats if you’d like to start working on your profiles.

ACTUAL NAME:

YOUTUBE SCREEN NAME: (optional)

PERSONA:

MODERN APPEARANCE:

PERSONA COSTUME:

OTHER INFO: (history, personality, etc.)

There are a total of 8 stats, as listed below. Each stat’s value can range from 0 (completely useless) to 10 (practically an expert). The sum of a character’s stats at the start of the RP must add up to 40: no more and no less. However, as time goes on, certain actions and/or events may boost a character’s stats (e.g. gaining a COMPOSURE bonus for overcoming one’s worst fear).

———

COMPOSURE
How good is the character at keeping calm under pressure and not “freaking out” when presented with something horrifying or unpleasant?

FOCUS
How good is the character’s attention to detail and ability to stay focused on the task at hand?

MASTERY
How good is the character at solving standard types of complex puzzles?

ERUDITION
How knowledgeable is the character in relatively obscure/unknown subjects that may still be relevant to missions and challenges?

STEALTH
How good is the character at hiding or otherwise avoiding detection by enemies?

GRACE
How well can the character avoid clumsy accidents and dodge incoming threats?

SPEED
How fast can the character move, particularly when faced with a time limit or a pursuing enemy?

DISTRACTION
How effectively can the character distract enemies or otherwise draw their attention away from other guests?

I’d also recommend making at least one NPC in addition to your player characters (PCs). PCs can and will be killed off in this RP, and it’s not impossible for all of a player’s PCs to be killed off, so having an NPC on hand will prevent you from being left out of the RP if that ends up being the case. Without spoiling too much, since this RP will draw most of its inspiration from Greco-Roman mythology, virtually any figure from that mythology (gods/goddesses, heroes, kings/queens, monsters, etc.) is fair game to be an NPC. Or if you’d rather make your own original NPC (a member of the SAE, someone from Ancient Greece, etc.), that’s a valid option as well, so by all means go for it.

Last edited:
Yes; the stats corresponding to a PC should be included with their CS. NPCs don’t need stats because they won’t be directly taking part in missions and challenges like the PCs will, though they can and will still have a role in the story and can help move the story along.

The OOC thread still needs a bit more fine tuning, but you’re both clear to start work on your profiles whenever you’re ready. If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know.

I’ve reserved “The Physician” for Catra for the time being based on a recent conversation between us, so other viable personas could include (but certainly aren’t limited to)...

The Gladiator
The Charioteer
The Senator
The Sailor
The Performer
The Scribe
The Druid
The Vintner
The Blacksmith
The Philosopher
The Poet
The Seer
The Merchant
The Handmaiden
The Architect

Last edited:
Would it be alowed for me to reserve some more personas? I don't mind letting katsu reserve some first, though, if that's fairer.

Maybe you could each PM me with the personas you want, then I can let you know which ones (if any) you both want so we can figure out what to do from there, and then reserve the rest.

Back