Ame Damnee FairHarvest

Toby stood hammer out as first Oliver then Felix slipped into the ruin behind him. The wolves gathered stepping over their fallen stalking the now solitary warebear standing guard at the entrance of the ruin. Gaining numbers, they gather. Toby jumped down, sure Oliver had ample time to clear the way. Changing to bear form mid-fall he clawed the tall willow tree at the center of the tower as he fell. Once his back paws his the ground he heaved into the trunk with a deafening roar. The willow cracked and fell, snapping at its midpoint to pull the stone tower down into the hole.

Butting the watchful Oliver farther into the ruin with his shoulder he snatched Felix up by his scruff as the stone tower and willow remnants fell down blocking the entrance. Toby growled around a mouthful of Felix as stone and wood battered his back as he slid out of reach of the bigger chunks that fell.

Letting go of Felix Toby changed back, stood and stretched his back.

"Not the prettiest way of clogging a hole....but it worked." Toby said rubbing his back. "Sorry about the push. It was that or we both loose a lot of weight, real fast. Damnit, that hurt."

"Well I hope you're right about ruins usually having more than one exit. Otherwise we may be stuck here for a while," Oliver said. Oliver looks around and sees a six doors at different sides of the room. "Which way should we go," Oliver asks Toby. Felix wanders the room sniffing ground and the air.

Toby looked around mid stretch sniffing the air...

"There's air movement. So there is an outlet somewhere at least....that's good to know." Toby said scratching at his back. "Uhh...It would be stupid to split up at this point. I say let's pick a direction and start there. I want to try to explore as much as I can while we are in here. Soooooo...." Toby explained walking up to the corner of one of the hallways, taking out a knife out of his sleeve he carved an arrow into the stone pointing down the hallway. "That way we know which way we went. i have done this too often..." Toby said shaking his head. "Can you see in the dark or do we need to find a torch? I can see just fine." Toby asked looking at Oliver.

Oliver was relieved to hear that there was an outlet somewhere. He had never explored ruins before so the thought of it was kind of daunting to him, but he felt a little reassured when Toby carved the arrow into the stone. Maybe we won't get lost this way. "It's alright, I can see fine," Oliver said in response to the question. Oliver walks towards the same hallway Toby went to. "I wonder how big this place is. With all these doors it must be huge. Why would anyone need structures this big," Oliver asks Toby

Toby started down the hallway with Oliver and Felix not far behind. "From what I can guess, they were used for all kinds of things. From simple buildings to almost whole cities down here..." Toby said. "That room could have been anything, and being by the tower structure, it could have just been a central hub." Toby explained coming to a "T" in the hallway. Sniffing the air Toby selected left scratching another arrow into the wall. "So do you eat food? Or do I have to watch out for you biting me too?" Toby asked with a slight giggle.

As Oliver followed Toby down the hallway, he listened to Toby explain about structures and their purposes. "I can eat food...it doesn't give me the same benefits as blood but I can survive on food," Oliver said when Toby asked about food. "Why? You hungry? If you need to stop to eat we can," Oliver said realizing he was hungry himself. Oliver looks over at Felix to see if he is hungry and saw that he looked as if he could go on for a little longer but was hungry. "Did you want to stop and eat something," He asked Toby

Toby smiled into the darkness. "Good to know my butt is safe...But, yeah we can stop here in a second, let's check around this corner here..." Toby said peaking around the corner. The hallway turned back to the left towards that center tower room. In fact the far end was caved in...But there was a few intact wooden doors. Two on the right and one on the left. Toby slowly backed into the corner of the hallway so he could watch both directions. All three doors looked shut, but that didn't mean they would stay that way.

With his knife he scratched an arrow pointing down the hallway with the doors, with a small rectangle under the arrow with three lines in it. Not looking at Oliver but watching both hallways he explained. "The arrow you know...the box means doors and how many...and this..." Toby drew an "X" under the box. "...means it's a dead end. So we have three doors. Let's check these rooms out with hopefully no surprises and then use one to take a break. I don't know what you can do my half dead friend, but if you can see through doors now is a good time to tell me..." Toby said glancing at Oliver before watching the hall again.

Oliver listened as Toby explained the symbolism in the markings so that later he would know what they meant. Oliver motioned for Felix to smell under the first door on the right. As he studied the body language of the wolf he discerned that there wasn't any creatures in there and tells Toby this one seems safe to enter. Oliver got up and leaned against the door as he slowly opened it just in case Felix missed something. As he looked inside the room he saw endless rows of shelves some of which were leaning or laying on the ground broken, while others were in seemingly perfect condition. He entered the room not seeing any foes but he did see a few rusty swords and dented pieces of rusty armor on the shelves and ground. " Toby this looks like it was used to store weapons and armor," Oliver said to Toby.

Toby watched as Felix sniffed the door and he smiled...That's a trick he used sometimes. He watched the hall as Oliver slipped inside. Sticking his head in when Oliver started talking to him. "Let's check real quick if there is anything of use...I think so looking around, but you never know..." Toby said closing the door behind him. Walking around the shelves, it mostly looked like a weapon graveyard...

Toby was hesitant to handle any of the artifacts in this room, just in case any of these weapons were cursed or what have you. Something he thought about, not used to being with other people. He mentioned it to Oliver. "Careful about what you handle...use a knife or something first, just in case it's cursed or something...I have only found a few such objects in ruins but it never hurts to be sure." Toby called over to Oliver on the other side of the room. The weapons and armor were of ancient times. The style was completely different from what was used now. But sometimes you can find something good.

Reaching the other side of the room without finding anything useful Toby headed back towards the door. "I'm not seeing anything really exciting. I'm gonna peek in the next room, if you could come running if you hear anything..." Toby said making for the door. Taking mental measurements of the room and it's contents for his report he slipped out of the door. Checking back around the corner before walking back to the other wooden door on the right. Toby kneeled down and pulled the same trick as Felix and almost sneezed. Coal...Sulfur...Hammer in hand he barely slipped open the door. An old forge sat long cold in the corner of a medium sized room. Some metal working tools hang rusted to hooks on the wall. A small work bench on one wall had a selection of hammers laying across the top...Intrigued Toby examined the hammers by eye first then at knife point second. Nothing seemed to happen, so he selected a couple of the less rusted ones placing them in the leather bag at the small of his back. About to step back out of the room he spotted a small wooden crate with a couple handfuls of what looked like steel arrow heads. Two pronged and looking wicked sharp. Flipping on over with his knife point before gathering them up.

Stepping back into the armory Toby called to Oliver. "Hey Oli!...Found some arrow heads you might be interested in, if you can make your own arrows...I have some arrow shafts back at my house..." Toby said, "Other than that the room next to this was a simple forge...We got one room left. We can look at that after we eat if you like." Toby said, standing near the door, having it cracked to watch the hall. "Or I can check out that one real quick before we take a break, as my guest I leave it up to you..." Toby said with a smile. Ruin exploring was so much easier with more than just him...

Oliver was wandering the room room looking at the artifacts that were laying around in the room to see if anything caught his attention when he heard Toby at the door to the room, "Hey Oli!...Found some arrow heads you might be interested in, if you can make your own arrows...I have some arrow shafts back at my house..." Oliver turned to Toby and headed back to him to check out these arrow heads he had found. As he examined the arrow heads he noticed that they were two pronged arrows which were meant for slashing instead of piercing and thought they would be a good addition to the set he had now. "yeah, I can make my own arrows...do you have any fletching at your house," Oliver asked Toby, "If not, all I'd have to do is do a little bird hunting....Let's go ahead and explore that next room since it's the only one left on this hall" Oliver left the armory and walked up to the remaining door and repeated the process with Felix and turned to Toby this room seems fine as far as creatures go too. He then turned back and parially opened the door. Unexpectedly the hinges on the door gave out and the door fell to the ground and broke into lots of small shards. Oliver Checked around for danger and saw none. "Oops", Oliver said," I didn't mean for that to happen or for it to be that loud." As he checked the room out he saw rows upon rows of bookshelves along the walls. "What kind of person puts books next to an armory and a forge. That doesn't make much sense to me," Oliver said not understanding the designer's logic

Toby jumped back as the door fell off the hinges. Quickly stepping back to the corner of the hall he watched for anything that might come running to the noise. Not seeing anything for a little bit he walked back to the ruined door. "That was loud...I don't see anything coming, could we have Felix keep an eye on the hallway while we look around?" Toby asked. "These old ruins are always falling apart..." Toby mused.

Oliver agreed that Felix should keep an eye and ear out for danger out in the hall and so he motioned for Felix to keep watch for them while they looked around. "Growl or bark if anything comes down that hall," Oliver told Felix. Oliver then started walking around the room slowly inspecting any book he found. Coming across a few books that peaked his interest he kept in mind what Toby said about cursed objects and touched anything he was interested about with his crafting knife first, though he wasn't sure how to tell through the knife if anything was cursed. Not sensing anything from a few books he took a few that looked like crafting books, and history books. He came across a book that was in a completely different language than the rest and didn't have any dust, cobwebs, or any age marks on them and was instantly intrigued by it and touched it with his knife and as he did his knife grew hot in his hand before it even got close to the book. "Hey Toby this one is interesting any idea how I can take it, I can't even get close to it."

With the attack on New Eden being quelled, the sun would reveal itself beneath the cover of the moon, lifting the forest from its blanket of darkness and leaving only the winter snows and silence behind.

Toby came over and attempted to touch the book himself with his knife..."Yup, you got a hot one there sir. Okay, we have two options...destroy it...which I would rather not. Or take it to someone who can get the enchantment off...sometimes tricky....or use these." Toby explained going into his bag removing large metal tongs. "These have a few disenchantment properties. If these can't grab it then we have to bring someone down here that can do it." Toby said pulling out a black leather sack from his own bag.

"i have to tell you something Oliver...You said you do not know too many people but can I trust you with something rather important...?" Toby asked gathering the bag up to be ready...

Oliver watched as Toby attempted the feat with the knife himself and got the same reaction. Then Toby produced some large metal tongs and Oliver wondered if this was going to work. Then Toby said to him, "I have to tell you something Oliver...You said you do not know too many people but can I trust you with something rather important...?", as he gathered up the bag.

Oliver thought for a quick moment then said,"Yeah, you can trust me, after all we went through together today why would I betray you?" as he watched to see what Toby was going to do with the tongs and the book.

"I am a carpenter, but my main function is to explore these ruins looking for anything good. I'm a Warden...No one is supposed to know why I come in these things other then to scavenge sometimes." Toby said reading himself and the tongs. "I'm sure you want this book. But as per my orders I have to take it to the Wardens first and let them decide...If it's nothing they need they will more than likely let you have it...but at least they can get rid of the crap on here for you and maybe even figure it out it it's something funky..." Toby explained reaching out tenderly with the tongs...They met resistance but was able to grab the book. Toby gingerly slipped it into the black bag.

"I know the deal isn't the greatest, but it works..." Toby said placing the black bag back into his pouch. "But! If there is any normal stuff or books you want....go for it...In fact if you see any books on building stuff let me know...you looking for anything specific? Other then our temperature endowed friend here?"

Oliver thought things through a little bit. He wasn't quite sure what a Warden was, though the way Toby said it, it sounded like it was important. "What is a Warden? Is it important? and why is noone supposed to know why you search ruins?" Oliver asked. "I can't read that language anyway so that isn't too big of a loss anyway. If I find anything else of value or interest I'll let you know. Also anything about history and crafting I'd like"

Toby thought for a moment..."The Warden's are incredibly powerful people, mostly human, but recently they have added other races, like myself for certain districts. Each Warden watches over a District. I am personally here as a scholar and archaeologist. Exploring these ruins using my bear form to get around the wilderness easier. My official title is 'Brown Claw' within the ranks of them. I go to headquarters in New Eden once a month to give my report about the ruins I have explored. We don't want anyone knowing what I am doing out here for a sinple reason." Toby said starting to look through the scrolls again. "If i find something bad, that can be used against all of the world. I either destroy it, or lock it up within the vault in New Eden." Toby said pulling out a volume and flipping through it. Not paying attention to the fact he forgot to check it with his knife. Toby smiled and handed the book towards Oliver. "Instructions on putting magic into arrows..."

"I actually could use some help out here, you and Felix could be very helpful and you only have to go to New Eden once a month or so and everything is paid for. Repairs, supplies, and all that. I could talk to them and see if they would let you help me out here if your interested. And as you can see..." Toby said tapping the book in Oliver's hand. "Sometimes we find something good..."

"The deal sounds good to me. I've enjoyed this adventure a lot and I've also learned a lot...there is a problem that confronts me however, I left my home cause my guardian was murdered and I was on a search for my real father that my guardian told me lived in New Eden some years ago," Oliver explained, "but if you'd help me find him I'd be more than happy to join you in this search."

"Oh, I did find this book for you. It looks to be on building underground dwellings" Oliver said to Toby barely remembering it.

"Ah!" Toby said looking at the book Oliver pointed out. "When we get to the Warden's we can ask them about your father. They might know something, they have been around forever..." Toby assured him. "but in the mean time, I don't think anything is coming our way. They would have been by now. Why don't you call in Felix and we can eat something while we look around."

Back