Fall of the Nova

Okami

“Nova, can you tell me what happened here?” A tall man crouches in front of the curled up shape of a child, her quiet sobs echoing in the large chamber. Several moments pass with no response and the man straightens, running a hand through his white hair. “I’m not angry, Nova. I just need to know.” Still nothing. “After this we can play any game you like.”

His words seem to strike something in the little girl, slowly, pale wings peel away from a lavender face. “You-you promise?” Large eyes, stained even redder from tears, peer up at the man, “even pretend?”

The man reaches his hand down waiting for much smaller one to take it. “I promise, Nova.”

Nova reaches up and stands on wobbly legs, “Aperia was being mean…” She says, clinging tightly to the man as if he were all that was keeping her up. Considering how terribly she was shaking (she could barely walk) that was probably true. “She took my Origin Orb… She held it above my head and told me to jump for it but she was too tall…”

The man’s eyes close, he knew where this was leading. He had to ask though, “Then what?”

“Aperia and Tempus kept laughing. Tempus said that they’d never give it back and that I’d have to take it from Aperia. I got mad at them. Really super mad.” Nova stops walking, “everything got black and when I could see…” The little god’s voice drifts into silence. She didn’t know how to describe what she saw. The man did though. He appeared on the scene shortly after Tempus started screaming and Nova started crying.

Aperia had been on her back, eyes rolled up, and a pearl cracked with a dark pink fluid leaking out.

Nova had nearly killed her sister because she was being teased. He didn’t blame her, not really. Siblings could be cruel and lashing out was to be expected of someone like her but… She was dangerous. The man sighs, “Nova, thank you for telling me. We can go play now.” He manages to smile for her sake.

“Pretend?”

“Of course, sweetie. We just… Need to go to the new playroom, I think you’ve gotten too big for the last one.”

The man leads Nova down a hallway to a room held up by three pillars. In the center stood a raised dais with stairs leading up to its slightly elevated height. “This is where we can play?” Nova asks, oblivious of what was coming. To her she had been forgiven of accidentally hurting her sister and didn’t think any more of it. She didn’t realize just what she did.
“Not quite.” The man approaches the dais with Nova in tow and places his hand on its polished marble surface. A few moments of focus leads to the dark purple vortex forms, eating away at the surrounding marble like a black hole. “It’s in here, Nova.”

This wasn’t what the little girl was expecting, part of her wanted to exit this strange new room, find Aperia and Tempus, and ask them to play with her. The other half was curious. Vaporous wings fluttering, Nova inches up to the edge of the hole, straining to make out anything past the black and purple swirls. “Really?” She straightens, about to ask the man another question when she feels a hand on her back. She tilts her head upwards to look at him, curious.

“It’s safest this way.” He says before pushing Nova into the hole, her scream cut short by the closing of the portal.

---

Some time later, Nova awakes. She had hit her head falling and had lost consciousness. Disoriented but alert, she looks around taking in the dark red soil and navy blue sky. It was a sharp contrast to her home which was white and neat and clean. This place was also silent. Shifting in the dirt made no noise (neither did walking as Nova found out later). It didn’t smell like anything either and she could barely feel the ground when she touched it. This world seemed to not support the senses aside from sight. This didn’t seem like a good place to play at all.

“Daddy?”Nova calls, getting to her feet. “Dad? Where are you?” Nothing. Not even an echo of her voice, the only sound this place seemed to allow. “Daddy? Am I in trouble? Please! Daddy! I-” Nova’s plea is cut off by a screech of primal pain, unlike anything a human could comprehend. While her eyes were closed from agony it was clear to her what was happening. Her wings were tearing themselves apart. Each appendage divides into three tendrils, each of which grow red spikes and embed themselves into the ground. It was a miracle she didn’t die from the experience, the pain was so great. Minutes pass until finally the transformation is complete, Nova was anchored to the ground (she would later realize that the tendrils allowed her to move anywhere in this new world, they just kept her from leaving on her own). She lay on her side, crying once more. She was confused and hurt, her father forgave her. Why would he put her here? It must have been an accident, he would be coming any second to rescue her. Until then though…

“Maybe I can play pretend by myself… Just till Daddy can bring me home…”

---

Back at the Hall of Origins, Arceus shakes his head, looking at his youngest daughter through her orb. “Nova…” He says quietly as if she could possibly hear him, “You are home…”

Hi there! This was actually a piece of Pokemon fanfiction I had sitting on my drive for quite a while, I always thought that the entry for Giratina was rather vague "violence" could have meant anything. I decided to put a spin on it, having the violent act committed by the renegade Pokemon be a tantrum of a child. Making a Pokemon once considered satanic, innocent and not truly at fault for what happened. The characters are in Gijinka form (human like) as well, and I changed Giratina's coloring a bit, making her a pale white and purple as if the yellows and blacks were caused by millennia in Hell. Hope you enjoyed!

Back