[Fantasy][Action/Adventure] Heroes of Erhi

Mnemosyne

Confectionary Queen
Author’s Note 1: A Brief Introduction
This thread is based off a rather extensive world-building project I’ve been working on for quite a while now. Geography, history, religion, culture, etc. I have it all. Needless to say, this thread is rather long. So, as I don’t wish to waste anyone’s time, I will explain the basic concept here, so that you can decide for yourself whether you wish to read on or not. I am looking for a group high fantasy action-adventure type RP. In this, your characters would be the main characters, and I am the world. What do I mean by that? All characters outside of yours will be written by me, and I do not have a main character. Rather, I will be all npc characters. Your characters have free choice- I have a basic idea of a plot and will be guiding the RP along, but it will change based on your character’s decisions. So, if that sounds interesting, by all means, go ahead and read on!

Now, it is important for me to note that right now, my time is a bit limited. But at the same time, as described above, my GM style is going to be more hands-off than what is likely average. The story should easily be able to progress for several days even without my needing to be on. Not to mention, after the end of the year, I should have more time to get on. However, to make sure things keep running smoothly, I will be looking for a co-GM for this idea. But we'll get into that a little later.

Now, if you make it through this entire post and are interested in the idea, post your character idea here, and I'll either approve it, or let you know if any changes need to be made. Space for this is limited, so it will be strictly on a first-come, first-serve basis. I will not hold spots for anyone until they have an approved character. Sorry, but that's just the way it's going to be.

In the beginning there was only darkness. For ages and ages, it existed alone, and everything was dark, and quiet, and peaceful. And then the light appeared, just a small spark amidst the sea of blackness, but it grew and grew. And the darkness hated the light, and it sought to destroy it. But the light was strong, and it continued to grow. For ages and ages they battled, equally matched. But eventually as the light grew, it gained the upper hand and beat back the dark. But it did not destroy the dark, for light does not destroy- rather it creates. And so it bound the darkness and locked it away. And it created the stars of the sky, guardians to watch over the darkness, forever ensuring it did not escape its prison.

Then, with the darkness subdued, the light began creating. It brought into being the world, called Erhi, and shaped every hill and valley by hand, with tender, loving care, as a mother would treat her child. It created all manner of creatures, great and small, to inhabit the world it had created. It created guardians, each of whom was tasked to look after certain things, to nurture and care for the world that the light had created. And it created the four strongest guardians to oversee the lesser guardians. And finally, the light was satisfied with the world it had created, and it withdrew, falling into a deep sleep, entrusting its creation to the guardians.
For a time, the guardians did their duty, protecting the land and all who dwelt in it, and all was well. But as time passed, the bonds that held back the darkness began to weaken. As much as the darkness hated the light, it hated the world it had created even more, because it knew that the world was precious to the light, and so it yearned to destroy Erhi, but it could not escape its prison. But that did not mean that the dark was powerless. It began whispering in the ears of the four guardians the light had created last. And their hearts were turned against the others, and they began to hate each other. And each of them began gathering members of the lesser races, who had begun to worship the guardians as gods. They gathered their followers into armies, and they went to war with each other. And one by one, the lesser guardians began to side with their chosen among the four, and they rallied their followers to join in the armies. And these wars, which would later be known as the God Wars, raged for generations, and not one corner of the world was spared from the terrible bloodshed.

And even in its sleep, the light sensed the turmoil that raged across the world it so dearly loved, and it was troubled. It dreamed of another guardian, more powerful than the four, who would be able to put an end to the fighting. And so it happened, and the one that the light had dreamed of came into being, and the four feared her. But she knew that while she was stronger than each of them on her own, if they allied against her, she would be powerless against them. And she, in her cunning, saw that she needed to ensure that the four remained enemies. She used their animosity against them, and they were banished to the heavens, forbidden from directly interfering with the world. But she allowed them to communicate with their followers, and they continued to work against each other in secret, not realizing that she knew. And so, they continued to hate and plot against each other, instead of allying against her. And the wars that had raged unchecked for so long finally ceased. And while the four continued to covertly scheme against each other, she took over the role the four should have filled, and looked after the world.

And finally all was well, as it had been meant to be, for many generations. But now, it seems that the period of relative peace may be coming to an end. For the fifth guardian has been silent for many years now, and the four have grown ever bolder in their moves against each other. And recently, the stars in the sky, so constant and unchanging in their watchfulness, have begun vanishing, one by one. And the people have begun to whisper. They fear that the shadow of bloodshed is coming, and the era of the second God Wars is upon them. And they fear that once the stars vanish, the darkness will break free and its rage will consume the world until once again it is all that is left.

It is in these troubled times that our story begins. It is then that an unlikely hero has a mysterious dream, of the world consumed by flame and sea and storm, and there is a mysterious voice, telling them to journey to the ruins of an ancient temple, once devoted to the worship of the light itself. And for whatever their reason, be it concern for the world, the potential for great rewards, or just simply curiosity, they obey the voice and set out. But upon reaching the temple, they discover that they were not alone in being called there. Who is the mysterious girl waiting for them? For what purpose were they called? And where will this journey lead them? But I cannot answer those questions, my friends, as they have not yet come to pass, for this story is, as of yet, unwritten.

Author’s Note 2: What’s With the Author’s Notes?
I’m sure that anyone who has gotten to this point is probably pondering that question- what is with the author’s notes? After all, isn’t this all written by you, the author? Yes, yes it is all written by me. However, in case you haven’t noticed, the rest of the post is in character. And now I’m sure you’re wondering- in character? What character? There is no character for you to be in! Ah, but there is. Notice the direct dialogue at the end of my introduction (“But I cannot answer those questions…”)? Yep, that’s not me talking- it’s the narrator of the story. And yes, the narrator is an actual character who will feature in the story. And the rest of the post will be written as a sort of guide book for the world I have created. So these author’s notes that I’ve included are the only out of character parts, which is why they exist.

Author’s Note 3: The Importance of Reading
I hope that those of you who reach this point are interested in this RP, in which case, the next several sections have plenty of detailed information about the land, its gods, and its inhabitants. I don’t by any means expect you to be experts on this information if you want to join the RP, but I do ask that you read through it all at least once, because it will all be relevant throughout the RP. So if you post here saying you want to have a character whose mother was an elf and whose father was half orc and half human, and who wields a spear, uses a crossbow, and can use fire magic, I will politely but firmly tell you “no.” I’m sure you’re probably wondering what is wrong with that character type, and my response is simple- if you actually read the rest of this post, you’ll figure that out without any trouble.
Main God(desse)s:
Aster: God of the earth, titled the Earth Shaker. He is associated with fertile soil, growing things, and
earthquakes. The fae followed him during the God Wars.
Kalyon: God of the sky, also known as the Bringer of Storms. He is associated with the wind and weather.
The Seraphi and Aurae followed him during the God Wars.
Lumeria: Goddess of balance, law, order, and justice. It was she who put an end to the God Wars.
Pelae: Goddess of fire, also called the Inferno. She is associated with volcanoes and material wealth below
the earth’s surface. The dwarves, trolls, and daemons followed her during the God Wars.
Zerya: Goddess of the sea, she is called the Tempest. She is associated with the ocean, tsunamis, and
cyclones. The Merfolk and Laguna followed her during the God Wars.

Minor Deities:
Amitnka: Goddess of wild creatures
Araen: God of agriculture
Azmadine: Goddess of music
Beniiya: Goddess of revenge
Celthwe: Goddess of literature and poetry
Daynonia: Goddess of travel
Friedel: God of thieves
Josina: Goddess of love
Januneshi: God of disease
Kaonji: God of luck
Kaum: God of war
Nukhu: God of trade
Saehaun: God of blacksmithing and metalwork
Saemae: Goddess of destruction
Shakhbir: God of death
Tayeunia: Goddess of domestic beasts
Wyther: God of famine
Zashia: Goddess of misfortune

Author’s Note 4: Taking Sides
Yes, the gods and goddesses will play an important role in the story. They truly do exist, and they can take physical form to interact with the world. While they do not die from natural causes, they can be killed in battle, although that is not an easy thing to do. And as a bit of a hint as to what the RP will hold, it will eventually compel the heroes to take the side of one of the five main gods. Which one is completely up to you, so you may want to think of it as the story progresses.
  • Aurae: The aurae are slightly smaller than humans, and very slender. Well suited to high altitudes, they are typically found living in the mountains and hills. They are for the most part a peaceful race, preferring to keep to themselves. They are generally inclined toward magic, and a wide range of abilities can be found even among the smallest of communities. During the God Wars, they sided with Kalyon, god of the sky.
  • Daemons: Daemons are very varied in appearance. Some appear human, while others have various non-human characteristics. It is fairly common for them to have horns or wings. They are traditionally found near the volcanoes scattered about the Hadrin mountains. They worship fire, believing that they themselves were formed from it. They are very magically inclined. During the God Wars, they sided with Pelae, goddess of fire.
  • Dwarves: Dwarves appear as shorter versions of humans, with five feet being extremely tall for them. They live underground, digging entire cities inside of mountains or beneath plains and forests. They dig deep to mine metals and gemstones from within the earth, and they are excellent metalworkers and jewelers. Very rarely is a dwarf able to perform magic, and tend toward melee combat styles. During the God Wars, they sided with Pelae, goddess of fire.
  • Fae: Fae are typically taller, stronger, and faster than the average human. With pointed ears and elongated canine teeth, they are a more violent race. They tend to live in heavily forested areas, staying close to the earth. They often form clan-like groups with strict rules and harsh penalties for breaking those rules. Those outside of cities often live a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, and the use of ranged weapons among them is extremely common. During the God Wars, they sided with Aster, god of the earth.
  • Humans: Easily the most populous of races, humans can be found just about everywhere. They are a very varied species, with many differing strengths and abilities. However, what is by far the humans’ greatest strength is their resilience and ability to adapt to different environments and situations. Because they are so scattered and diverse, they did not take one side during the God Wars. Rather, different groups chose to side with different gods.
  • Laguna: Smaller than the average human, the laguna are mostly human in appearance, with the exception of their webbed fingers and toes. They can hold their breath for a long period of time under water. They often live along the coastline, and their primary occupations are fishing, sailing, and trading. They are a very proud people, and while for the most part peaceful, they will attack if they feel as though they’ve been insulted. During the God Wars they sided with Zerya, goddess of the sea.
  • Merfolk: Most merfolk live in underwater cities along the coastline, as they are able to breath underwater. They are human in appearance from the waist up, but from the waist down they have a scaled tail. They can leave the water, and on doing so their tail changes into legs. However, they are easily distinguished because their legs still retain scales. They are generally a peaceful people, and are somewhat magically inclined. During the God Wars, they sided with Zerya, goddess of the sea.
  • Seraphi: The seraphi are similar in appearance to humans, with one major difference- they have bird-like wings. They can fly, and often live in small family groups, often settling in high places, although more and more of them have moved toward mingling with other races. They are not very magically inclined, instead preferring ranged or melee weapons. During the God Wars, they sided with Kalyon, god of the sky.
  • Trolls: While humanoid in appearance, trolls are extremely tall, often over seven feet, and are usually heavily built and well muscled. They are very war-like, and very rarely mingle with other races. They are often lacking in intelligence, relying on brute force in most scenarios. Often they live in natural caves or other such formations that provide protection from the elements, although they will build shelter if they must. During the God Wars, they sided with Pelae, goddess of fire.

Author’s Note 5: Character Races
Your characters can be any of these nine races. In fact, if you want, they can even belong to two races. For example, a character could have a seraph mother and a laguna father. Or a fae mother and a father who was half fae and half troll. Or they could be human, but at some point had a daemon ancestor and some of those traits show up in your character. I really don’t care, as long as there are a maximum of two races. Yeah, remember my example of a no-go character from earlier? I bet you’re starting to understand that now… Also, the inclinations of your character’s race do not affect what abilities they can have later on. For example, just because your character in a seraph, a race that is not magically inclined, does not mean that they cannot use magic abilities. Race and abilities are completely independent when choosing your character. These distinctions mainly serve to help you know what to expect when meeting npcs of that race.
Erhi_Map.jpg
Author’s Note 6: Maps are Awesome!
If you find the map hard to read, I have the image saved to a photo hosting site, and so if you want to see a larger version, you can click here. Hopefully if you zoom in it will be a little easier.

You like my map? Yeah? Well, I have to say I’m quite pleased with how it turned out myself. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not make it entirely on my own. I used a site called Inkarnate. It’s still in a beta testing phase, but it’s very easy to use, and it produces some great results. So if you’re interested in creating a map of your own for whatever reason, I highly recommend the site. Also, since the map is saved on the site and I can edit it at any time, it is what can be referred to as a living document. I will edit it periodically to add any locations the characters visit, or mark the sites of important events so you can track the characters’ progress in real time.

Aeria: Aeria is the northernmost nation in Erhi. Ruled from its capital of Valyrin by a seraphi counsel, the majority of this kingdom is made up of seraphi, aurae, and humans. The Cellaedrine mountains are where the majority of Erhi’s aurae population is located, and there are several dwarven strongholds running throughout the range. It is not a particularly powerful kingdom, but the mountain range along its border and the storms that ravage its coastline for most of the year protect it from outside attack.
  • Alarera- Small city built on the Kyrin lake, near the edge of the Verel forest. It's main industry is from lumber, and it is a stopping place for travelers and merchants heading to Aeria's capital.
  • Lyneleane- This small town in located at the base the most commonly pass, the Pyrinis pass, through the Cellaedrine mountains. There are other passes, but they are all more dangerous, and thus not commonly used. The town caters to travelers across the mountains, selling necessary supplies and offering guides to lead groups safely through the mountains.
  • Natori- Dwarven stronghold located along the edge of the Cellaedrine mountains.

Behaid: This small and heavily forested island nation is inhabited almost exclusively by fae. Multiple attempts to conquer the island have been made by various other kingdoms, but they all end in failure, as the fae are ferocious in defending their home. Although they discourage travelers, they trade with Lemnon to purchase any supplies they may need.
  • Huriopa- The only major city in Behaid, this is a trading port where goods are brought in from Lemnon.
Ironhumiir: This southern kingdom is a desolate and harsh place to live. The Hadrin mountains are populated by daemons, and the open plains that cover most of its land area are inhabited by trolls. The troll general, both a military and political leader, rules with an iron fist from the capital of Erelon. This war-like nation is constantly launching attacks against its resource rich neighbor, the kingdom of Udelle. To the very south of the kingdom lies the Trazbir desert. Most of those who have attempted to cross the desert have had to abandon the attempt and turn back, or risk dying in the barren wasteland. Those who do not turn back never return at all.
  • Elyonira- This city, build on the slopes of Mount Harathon, the largest volcano in the region, is a ceremonial city where the daemons gather to worship Pelae.
  • Rahmay- This town is a military stronghold where the bulk of Ironhumiir's army is located. It is where many of the attacks against Udelle are launched from.
  • Zalaju- This city, located along the edge of the Trazbir desert, is a lawless town of criminals. All kinds of illegal activity occurs here, and those who are wanted for crimes in various nations flee here to avoid arrest.
Keasia: This kingdom, ruled by a king from the capital of Manilla, is populated mostly by humans. A war-like nation, it is constantly embroiled in wars with its neighboring kingdoms, Sugudohr and Thelaste, as well as periodic attempts to conquer Behaid.
  • Amyni- This city is known for two distinctions. First, it is known for its skilled craftsmen, especially in woodworking and carpentry. Secondly, it has a large temple devoted to Kaum, the god of war, and many warriors and military leaders make pilgrimages here to worship him.
  • Mexel- This underwater city along Keasia's coast is known for its fishing industry. It also trades with the underwater cities along Lemnon's coast, and many goods pass into the country through this city.
Lemnon: This peaceful nation is the biggest trading power in the world. Extremely wealthy and with the largest and most advanced ships, their sailors sail all across the known world, trading in every type of goods imaginable. In times of war, however, they can convert their merchant fleet into a naval force when needed, and they are widely viewed as the rulers of the seas. The coasts are heavily populated, especially by merfolk and laguna, but the interior is only sparsely populated. They are ruled by a powerful merchant counsel based in the capital, Port Tyris.
  • Casea- This is the largest and most influential of the underwater cities. It considers itself independent from any land kingdom, and is ruled by its own counsel. This view often brings them into conflict with Lemnon, whose coast it is located along.
  • Fyri- This underwater city is devoted almost entirely to trade, especially when it comes to seafood and pearls. They cultivate seaweed farms, and have pens where they trap and raise fish.
  • Kwanki- This city is locatedd along the border of Lemnon and the recently formed Maltis. It is a source of contention among the two nations, and they are constantly fighting over who it belongs to.
Maltis: This tiny nation is located on the same landmass as the much more powerful Lemnon. It was once a part of the other nation, but they broke away after a bloody civil war. They also engage mostly in trade and fishing, but not nearly as much as their neighbor. It is mostly made up of small coastal settlements, and lacks any type of centralized government.
  • Shimiti- This is the largest city in Maltis. It is ruled over by a powerful pirate lord, who is the one who encouraged Maltis to break away from Lemnon. He and the other pirates prey on trade ships across all the known seas, making sea voyages dangerous.
Sugudohr: This kingdom is ruled by a powerful dwarven king, whose seat of power is the city of Elyona, carved out of the foothills of the Iresmon mountains. This kingdom produces some of the finest weapons and armor in the known world. It is involved in constant battles with its two neighbors, Keasia and Thelaste. Although they have the advantage in arms and armor, their smaller military levels the playing field with the other two nations, leaving all three evenly matched.
  • Doliash- This city is devoted to the worship of Saehaun, god of blacksmithing and metalworking, and is known for the many talented metalworkers who live and work here.
Thelaste: The third of the warring nations, this mostly human kingdom is militarily the weakest of the three. However, in order to avoid being conquered by its neighbors, the king of this nation, who rules from the capital of Molinka, made an alliance with the king of Ironhumiir. They sent them troll and daemon soldiers to fight for the kingdom, which in return has to pay hefty tributes to Ironhumiir to fund their own war efforts.
  • Kazil- This city is home to one of the most prestigious magic institutes in the known world. Students come from all corners on the world to be taught in their chosen magic discipline.
Udelle: This is the largest kingdom in Erhi. It is rich in natural resources, and has a very powerful military. And that military is constantly defending against attacks from their southern neighbor, Ironhumiir. Their population is very diverse, ruled by a human queen from the capital of Talnor.
  • Bharmar- This dwarven stronghold is along the Celladrine mountains. Rumors speak of tunnels dug all the way beneath the perilous mountains to the other side, saving those who live here from the dangerous trek across the range. But those who live here discourage visitors, so if such a route does exist, it is known only to the city's inhabitants.
  • Paresh- This underwater city is the only one of any size located in the Braonan Sea. The inhabitant are loyal to the ruler of Udelle, and their spies watch the coast where Udelle meets Ironhumiir, warning when the other warlike kingdom launches attacks across the border.
  • Tazarnes- This is Udelle's main trading city, and the Rashdi river is wide enough that ships can sail all the way up it to the port city. It also has a large military encampment on the other side of the river to defend against attacks from the nation's neighbors to the south.
  • Vyasan- This city is devoted to higher learning. It teaches, among other things, medicine, law, and the humanities. It also has a strong affiliation with Celthwe, goddess of literature and poetry, as well as Azmadine, goddess of music, and some of the most talented bards and writers can be found here.
  • Zarae- This underwater city is best known for its ornate temple dedicated to Zerya, goddess of the sea, and is a popular pilgrimage site for merfolk, who come seek guidance from the goddess, for there is a supposed oracle located here.
Author’s Note 7: Combat and Your Character
It is probably unnecessary for me to say this, but seeing as how this is an adventure RP, there will be fighting, so your character must be prepared. So, they must have at least one combat skill. The combat skills that are available will be listed below. Your character will have one main combat skill, and they may also have up to two secondary skill. However, keep in mind that, as is logical, if a character has secondary skills, their main skill will be weaker than that of another character with the same main skill and no secondary skills. There are some skills that may only be practiced as a main skill- this will be specified in the description. And there are some skills that are not only main-only, but cannot have secondary skills, which will also be specified. There are three possible combat styles: melee, range, and magic. Between your main and secondary skills, you can have skills in up to two of these combat areas, but you cannot use all three. So secondaries can be either in the same style as the main, or in one different style. Remember my explanation of a non-allowed character earlier? Guess how many combat styles that character used.

Melee Styles:
Assassin: Assassins typically wear little to no armor. They rely on surprise, and typically use small weapons such as knives and short swords.
Berserker: These fearsome fighters wield heavy weaponry such as battle axes and broadswords. They typically only wear light armor.
Brawler: These lightly armored warriors fight with short swords, knives, steel claws or knuckles, and their bare hands.
Knight: These warriors are heavily armored. They often fight on horseback, and use heavy weaponry such as lances, maces, battle axes, and broadswords. *Main Only*
Paladin: These warriors fight in a similar style to knights. However, the title of paladin is only granted to those who complete rigid training. As such, the title carries with it a great deal of prestige and respect. *Main Only, No Secondaries*

Range Styles:
Crossbowman: These rangers use a crossbow. This weapon requires less training than a longbow or shortbow. It is a slow weapon to fire, but it inflicts heavy damage and is accurate for mid- to long distances.
Dart Thrower: This type of ranger throw darts. These small weapons don’t inflict much immediate damage and are only effective over short ranges, but they are fast and are often poisoned to inflict long-term damage. Those who focus mainly on this skill can learn to use an atlatl or blowpipe to increase the range and damage of their darts.
Knife Thrower: These rangers use can throw knives. They are only accurate over short distances, but they inflict very heavy damage.
Longbowman: These range warriors use a longbow. This is a medium speed weapon, which deals heavy damage and is accurate over long distances. *Main Only*
Shortbowman: This type of ranger uses a shortbow. It is a fast weapon, but inflicts less damage than a longbow or crossbow, and is only accurate over shorter distances.

Magic Styles:
Aeromancer: These types of magic users can control the air, using it to knock over enemies or block attacks. Skilled users who focus mainly on this art can even deprive enemies of the air they need to breath.
Geomancer: These magic users manipulate the earth. They can reshape the ground to their will.
Healer: These mages can heal their allies, but not themselves. Most can only heal minor injuries, or lessen the severity of more serious injuries. However, those who focus mainly on this magic can heal more serious injuries, and those who focus solely on this magic can even gain the ability to not just heal injuries, but transfer those injuries to their enemies.
Hydromancer: These mages use water-based magic. They can not only create their own water, but can also manipulate it into specific forms. These attacks do not inflict as much damage as others, but it is an incredibly versatile type of magic.
Necromancer: These magic users can summon and control dead beings, and use them for everything from attacking enemies, blocking attacks, and even menial tasks. *Main Only, No Secondaries*
Pyromancer: These mages use fire-based attacks, creating their own fire. This inflicts heavy damage, but has very low defense applications.
Shadowmancer: These types of magic users use magic based on darkness. It is a purely destructive magic, often involving making objects or creatures simply cease to exist. It is a forbidden magic, and by the agreement of all governments, anyone caught practicing it will be executed. *Main Only*
Shape-Shifter: These mages can take on an animal form in order to fight. If they focus mainly on this magic, some can even master multiple animal forms, and those who focus only on this magic can learn to take on not only multiple animal forms, but the forms of higher races as well.
Thaumaturge: These mages can summon the power of storms. They can use wind, rain, hail, and lightning to attack their enemies. *Main Only, No Secondaries*
Author's Note 8: RP Style
This RP will be a forum style RP. There are no dice rolls and other such things. You are free to decide how your character uses their abilities, as long as it fits within their combat classification. This will be a group RP. Whether a small group or larger group depends on how much interest. However, I will say that I am capping this at ten characters. That's the most I feel comfortable with having at one time. For the moment, I will only be allowing one character per author. However, should it be the case that we don't get enough characters to get a dynamic story going, I will open things up for multiple characters so we can get things off the ground.
As far as romance and/or smut goes, it is, of course, allowed. If you and another writer decide you want your characters to have a relationship, good for you! You'll need to communicate privately to discuss this. Flirting, kissing, etc. is fine in the main thread. But if it's going to be 2+ posts focused entirely on your characters, please take it out of the main thread. The main thread will continue moving, while you are able to write out your scene at your leisure. If anyone is interested in romance and/or smut with any of my npc characters, feel free to ask me about it, and I'll probably be more than willing to work with you on that. However, keep in mind that my characters generally won't be hanging around for too long, so it will probably be temporary.

Author’s Note 9: Putting it All Together
Now that you understand the geography, gods, races, abilities, and RP style, it’s time to put your character together. So, for that, here’s a form for you to use when creating your character:
Name:
Race:
Appearance:
(Can be an image or a written description)
Main Skill:
Secondary Skill(s):
(Optional)
Personality: (Doesn’t have to be too detailed, but at least have something)
Backstory: (Optional)

Author's Note 10: Co-GM Wanted!
Yes, we've finally gotten to that point that I mentioned in the very beginning. Because of my limited availability, I am looking for a co-GM. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say an assistant GM. This will work a little differently than how most of you would probably expect, though. Again, I am the world in this story. However, the co-GM will not be. They will have a main character, just like everyone else, and anyone who in interested and has already created a character that has been approved can message me expressing their interest in being co-GM. I will be a bit picky, because I want to make sure I pick the right person. I want to get to know my co-GM, and make sure it's someone I can get along well with. So I won't be picking my co-GM right away. In fact, I may not even make that decision before the story starts.

But anyway, here's how being the co-GM will work. First of all, the only people who will know who the co-GM is are me and the co-GM themselves. It won't be common knowledge to the group. I have a general idea of how the plot should go, although a lot of specifics are still open. The co-GM is the only person I'll tell about my plans, how I see the RP progressing, etc. Everyone else will have to wait and see how things go. After all, I love twists and turns, so expect surprises to come up. But I will answer the co-GM's questions, and share my plans. I want the co-GM to be someone who isn't afraid to make suggestions. Now, anyone can offer suggestions, but because the co-GM will know what is going to happen, they're in a better position to contribute ideas and whatnot. And I want someone who isn't afraid to tell me if they don't like my ideas, and will help me adapt them to something they feel suits the idea better.

Now, because I don't have a main character, there will likely be times when I don't even have a character present. Because of this, the co-GM will be the one who will push the group in the direction I want things to go. Not in an obvious way, though, which is why the co-GM's identity will be secret. I still want the group to make their own decisions. The co-GM will suggest the group take the path I originally intended, but ultimately it is up to the entire group to make the decision. If that decision is different than what I was thinking of, then I'll simply adapt my plans to make things work.

But as you can perhaps see by now, the point of the co-GM will be to push the plot along during any times that either I am not on, or I do not have any characters currently with the group. And they'll help me guide the group in the direction I want, without the group feeling like they have to go that direction because I want them to. Working through a co-GM, rather than directly, helps me give the group as a whole more autonomy. Sort of like choose-your-own-adventure type thing. So anyway, if anyone is interested in taking on that role, message me once your character is approved, and we'll talk about it until I reach a decision on the matter.

And it's my turn to say wow, because I wasn't expecting a response that soon. I'm glad you're interested, though, and I look forward to seeing this character. And of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wow! Lots of detail here! I'm just going to post a rough-ish concept for now (Just to see if I get what tone and setting you're going for), and I'm always open to changes or adjustments.

Draco
As far as the mixing of races goes, things are pretty open. It's up to you how you'd like them to look, as long as they don't have any traits that aren't out of character for either race. So for human and merfolk, there are some options, based on your preference. Perhaps they look like a merfolk in the water, but completely human on land. Or maybe their legs are scaled like a merfolks, but they don't change into a tail in the water. Just a few options I thought of off the top of my head. You're welcome to suggest any other ideas you may have, of course.

Green Door
Glad you're interested! I look forward to seeing your character as well.

Ah. I'm afraid I'm going for a high fantasy setting, which means much more of an emphasis on magic and a lot less on technology. To put it into perspective, their level of technology is around what would have been found in the medieval era in real life. Hence why the weaponry in the combat styles revolves around bladed and non-mechanical projectile weapons. Which is completely my fault, since I didn't specify that in my original post. And their non-magical medical knowledge would probably be close to that of the same era. More like herbal home remedies, versus actual antibiotics and whatnot.

Also, the secondary skills section is only for combat skills from the list. Any miscellaneous skills they have that are not combat or magic related can just go in their bio. But the main and secondary skill sections are only for the skills listed in the combat classifications subsection.

Name: Atlas Raynis
Race: half human, half merfolk
Appearance:
t-zFInHyciQICW8pq8WTrrbEdqRyWCIZw4D3g63NLSUZ-jyhQeQdJzO1vSyZC3IalWcMKY04hisxAtzMJXKObnoNkxloXWHwszsF2t8RX3Yg-Ca0qNdzBgQtwhQGqr2XxIhzTjI_
there is a scar on her back and chest from a tragic incident in her past. When she is in water her legs turn into two separate fins, instead of the one that merfolk have. On land she has patches of red aquatic scales on her legs.
Main Skill: Assassin
Secondary Skill(s): Hydromancer, Brawler
Personality: Atlas is a shy young girl that dislikes confrontation. She is kind and would give her friends the clothes off her back if they needed them. She is socially awkward, so much so that she will never be the first person to say anything and when spoken to will become cringingly anxious. She enjoys star gazing and humming. She dislikes bullies and blood. She has PTSD due to her past. The sight of blood causes her PTSD to trigger causing her to shut down. She can be shaken out of this though if someone is able to calm her down.
Backstory: Atlas was born from a human father and a merfolk mother in Tazarnes. Growing up she was always an outcast amongst the other citizens. As she neared her teenage years her father taught her how to fight, passing on his skills as an assassin to her. Her mother taught her hydromancy and how to use her merfolk abilities, the few that she had anyways. Upon entering the water she found her legs turned into separate fins instead of one tail fin. She also found that though she could hold her breath underwater longer than her father, she couldn't hold her breath as long as her mother. One day she came home to find her parents slaughtered with almost the entire house decorated in blood and a demon flipping a carving knife in his hand. Unable to control herself, she let out a scream and ran away from the house. The demon had heard the scream though and with incredible speed caught up to her stabbing her through the chest with its spearlike tail. She woke a couple days later in someone else's house. (The rest of her past isn't really noteworthy)

Last edited:
Name: Ynna

Age: 39 (I’m assuming Fae and Demon life-spans are longer than average and they age more slowly as well?)

Race: Fae/Quarter-Demon

Appearance:

Ynna looks a good bit more savage that one would expect even a Fae to look, due to her demonic heritage. All of her teeth are sharp, not just her canines, her tongue is long and thin, and her nails are longer and sharper than normal, giving her a distinctly feral appearance. The other manifestations of her mixed heritage are more obvious, with her bone-white skin, hair, and dark gray eyes. Despite these striking additions to her appearance, compared to her fellow Fae she looks unremarkable. She’s actually quite thin, unhealthily so, and a good head shorter than the average Fae.

Her attire doesn’t help her appearance any, either, or rather her lack of it. The only thing she wears regularly or even owns is a large wolf pelt she wears as a cloak, with the head of the animal serving as a sort of hood. As a consequence of both her virtual nudity and her chosen lifestyle, she’s covered in dirt, mud, blood, twigs, insects, and any other woodland detritus one could think of. The resulting odor is impressive and terrible to experience.

Main Skill: Shape-shifting.

Ynna has spent her entire life mastering it at the expense of everything else. She’s never attempted to imitate the humanoid races, but has achieved great success assuming the shapes of animals. Her preferred form is a wolf, but she’s also regularly turns herself into a bear, a hawk, a snake, even a cat and dog (on the two occasions she actually visited civilization). If it can be found in the woods she’s called home, there’s a very good chance she’s spent some time as one. However, she vastly prefers predatory species and usually refuses to adopt the form of any prey species unless there’s an extremely good reason to (and most times, not even then). She learns her art through observation and experimentation, and is comfortable and experienced enough to actually pass as the animal she’s imitating, even among their own. She also changes forms seamlessly and instantly, often reflexively. Seeing her fight a pitched battle can make onlookers very dizzy from the constant shifting. Notably, the coloration of the animals she changes into is almost invariably white, especially if the change is reflexive. She can change this with a bit of mental effort, but usually doesn’t bother to do so.

Secondary Skill(s): None.

Personality: Ynna is a true child of the wilderness. She’s spent her entire life among it, learning to immerse herself in it more deeply than most could ever imagine. Spending more time as an animal that her actual form, Ynna has genuinely forgotten what aspect of her was the original. She has no kinship with her birth-species because she doesn’t know which species that actually is, much less having any contact with it. This makes her master of her domain: Beasts, weather patterns, navigation, tracking, survival, the hunt.

This came at a cost, however. She is a savage, through and through. She’s barely capable of speech, having never spoken to a living humanoid for an extended period of time. She has the words, but it comes out whispered and growling. Reading is unknown to her, and clothing is a nuisance. She’s never slept in a bed or spent a night under a roof as a Fae, or eaten a cooked meal. She cannot build the most basic of tools. Outside of her immediate needs, if it cannot be achieved by hand or by one of her many forms, it is not worth considering.

The very few people who even know she exists are extremely put-off by her, and are glad she stays in her corner of the woods. Morals, tact, taboos, and other simple social things simply didn’t come about when she was growing up, and anyone speaking to her can figure that out very quickly. She’s not malevolent, far from it, but possesses the same type of ignorance that makes a wolf dangerous because it doesn’t know it’s not supposed to eat you. Those few are quite content with her staying where she is, presumably eating small fuzzy creatures and doing unspeakable things with animals. If they ever sought to contact her, it wouldn’t be anything but the most dire situation possible.

Backstory:

Ynna does not know her kin. She doesn’t know where she was born, or when. She doesn't know why she was left in the Himris Forest to die as a child, or how she knew to turn into what she did. What she does know is what her life was like afterward. Rather than run with her kin, she ran with wolves. She learned her surroundings with wings, not fellow scouts. Her battles were fought with bears, and her crimes committed with scales and forked tongues. Her homes were the the hollows of trees and clefts in rocks, her meals torn from fallen prey with teeth and claws. She grew up among the wilds, only coming into contact with others as they hunted or wandered the woods. Even then, she kept her distance. If they were violent, she consumed them.

She went to the world of man twice, once as a dog and the second as a cat. She learned what little she knows of society from those experiences. They went well enough, but eventually she grew bored and returned to the forest. She never actually figured out what the town was called, but it was small and unimportant, and she left no mark on it. The only memory of her presence was the story of a white cat who would stare into windows at night, learning all that it could. The only real social outlet was wolf-pack she ran with for almost a year, but that went horribly wrong. Now she mostly does what she pleases, content to run among the trees on four legs.

This looks really well thought out and structured, I like how this sounds! I'll begin making a character asap.

Name: Xena Heskel
Race: Human/Fae hybrid
Appearance:
hawk_by_blunchett-d9ahldr.jpg
she is missing her left eye due to an incident, the patch that she wears is made out of a special leaf that fights away infection.
Main Skill: Longbow
Secondary Skill(s): Brawler

Personality: Xena is someone that dislikes conversation yet is not one to shy away from it. Xena does seem to have an air of calm around her someone that would keep a straight face when faced with a small army of rampaging trolls, however, she is not above being annoyed or angry usually showing it in body language or sarcasm, mostly she can come off as apathetic. Yet it's all a front to keep her insecurities in check and to not lose control of her emotions, she is actually more sensitive than she lets on and cares about anyone who shows her kindness.

Backstory: Born between a union of a female Fae and a human male Xena was ostracized by her fellow Fae. Having no idea who or were her father was the small half-breed was raised by her mother, her mother did not coddle her or spoil her (though some occasions did happen) instead he taught Xena how to use a Longbow and how to survive in the wilderness, the teasing and scorn from her peers did not change or even lessen in fact it got worse when a jealous hunter was outdone by Xena in a contest at the age of 14. In his rage the man threw a knife at the teen and consequently, Xena lost her eye. After that incident Xena's emotions seemed to become inert only showing in times of pure excitement. Living on her own in Huriopa she started having strange dreams of someone calling out to her.

Green Door
Their lifespans can be a bit longer than humans, yes. Not overly so, though. I'd say maybe one and a half times humans (so in other words, if they were thirty, they would be the human equivalent of 20.) Just to clear things up, this is true of fae, daemons, seraphi, and dwarves. All other races have human lifespans. But anyway, Ynna will work, so she's approved!

Omega
I'm glad you're interested! And Xena looks great, so she's approved.

I have a few questions about the social norms (and other things) of this world. How does the average person view sexuality and gender? Traditional medieval, as in don't, really, don't get caught, or are they more accepting? Are there cultural and racial prejudices or stereotypes that are common? Is there a commonly accepted currency or does each kingdom mint their own? Is there a lingua franca, at least in the larger kingdoms? Are there narcotics and other stronger intoxicants?

Sorry for the bombardment, I'm just really excited!

Name: Cailin Rhyal

Race: Human/Aurae (Human Father, Aurae Mother)

Appearance: Cailin is the perfect mix of both her parents. Tall like her Human father but slender like her Aurae Mother. Her hair is short and medium brown in color. She got her mothers grey eyes and fair skin. Cailin's clothing is mainly in grey tones. She wears a fur pelt around her waist from her first hunt with her Father.

Main Skill: Longbowman

Secondary Skill(s): Aeromancer, Healer

Personality: Cailin is peaceful in nature, as taught to by her Mother. She's reserved around new folk, preferring to observe first to figure out their intentions. She is friendly and kind after figuring out those who intentions are good. Cailin will be loyal to those that show loyalty in return. She is calm, even when situations escalate. Those close to her call Cailin a 'peacemaker', as she often ends a fight before it can begin.

Backstory: Will add later/as the story goes.

Last edited:
Korelle
Looks good, you're more than welcome to join!

Green Door

Oi! Why do you have to be so difficult?

Ahem. Sorry, I just can't help it. The sarcasm just happens. Questions don't bother me, and I'm more than happy to answer them as best I can (without giving away too many spoilers, of course.) Although I admit, some of those are ones I hadn't thought out yet. Honestly, there are certain things I'm set on, and others that I'm fine with y'all improvising (and yes, I'm allowed to say y'all- I'm from Texas). So if I ever answer with "I don't know," or "whatever you want," it doesn't mean I don't care about the topic- just that I'm leaving it open for you to decide. After all, I'm sure you'll think of things I never would. So, I'll try and go through and answer your questions as best I can. Although a lot of this I'm making up on the spot based on the general impression I intended from the different races and nations.

How does the average person view sexuality and gender?
This varies between cultures and locations. Some (namely daemons, fae, and trolls) are more open with their sexuality. Other races are more likely to lean towards modesty, especially the seraphi in particular. But of course, this varies too. The wealthier classes and those who live in cities are more likely to have a tendency to frown upon sex outside of marriage, whereas the lower classes and those in more rural areas have lower standards. But besides those generalizations, you're welcome to decide on some specifics.

Are there cultural and racial prejudices or stereotypes that are common?

There are some particular traits that are associated with certain races. The seraphi are often very arrogant and view themselves as better than other races. Daemons, fae, and trolls are both viewed as being excessively violent, and trolls are often seen as having a, well, less than average intelligence. A lot of races view dwarves as selfish and greedy, due to their tendency to hoard treasures. And a lot of the other races look down on humans as being, well, average. They aren't "special," I guess you would say. Not, of course, that those views are necessarily true of all individuals, but they are some commonly held views.

As far as cultural stereotypes go, generally Udelle is considered the most powerful kingdom, and they often look down on others. On the other side of the matter, a lot of other nations, while they recognize Udelle's strength, view them as being arrogant and not respecting other countries. Citizens of Behaid and Ironhumiir are commonly viewed as warlike and unintelligent savages by the other kingdoms. Aeria generally holds itself apart from the rest of the world and stays out of a lot of the politics and whatnot, so they tend to have the same reputation of aloofness as the seraphi races does in general. Lemnon is generally viewed as one of the most cultured and refined nations, while Maltis often isn't even recognized by other countries as a nation at all, but rather a rag-tag group of troublemakers that needs to be dealt with already. Keasia, Sugudohr, and Thelaste are known as powerful in their own rights, but they're often too embroiled in their own wars to take much interest in the outside world, and some nations (namely Udelle and Lemnon) view them as being a bit backward.

Is there a commonly accepted currency or does each kingdom mint their own?
Aeria, Udelle, Lemnon, Keasia, Sugudohr, and Thelaste all mint their own currencies. However, just like with modern currency, they all have relative values compared to each other, and most of the time merchants will accept the currencies of all of those nations (money is money, right?) As far as the other nations go, Maltis still uses Lemnon's currency. Behaid and Ironhumiir don't have any currencies of their own, as they rely mostly on the barter system (which is also often used in rural areas in other nations).

Is there a lingua franca, at least in the larger kingdoms?
There is a common language which is widely used in most kingdoms, and is especially used in cities, since immigrants and traders from other countries tend to gather. It is less widely known in rural areas, although most communities have at least a few who do speak it. All nations, and even sometimes certain regions within a nation, have their own native languages as well.

Are there narcotics and other stronger intoxicants?
Yes, there are a variety of mind altering substances available. Some of them are used culturally in various religious or traditional rituals. Others are mainly used recreationally, and those are generally frowned upon (with the exception of Behaid and Ironhumiir, in both of which this use is common.) The specifics of this is open to your creativity.

Whew. I hope all of that was helpful for you. And if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! (Yes, I was being serious for once when I said I don't mind questions.)

Of course I will. The story will start once I close it to new characters, either because we fill up (as I'm still holding firm to my absolute maximum of ten), or because we go for a relatively long time without any new interest. Either way, everyone will definitely be informed.

This is still open to new players, if anyone else is interested. But if we go a couple more days without interest, I'll just close it and start the story.

Back