(Re-opening Soon) [Fantasy/Magitech] Tapestry of the Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
So! This roleplay would follow a concept of heroes being reincarnated throughout history at key points of turmoil. In an attempt to tip the scales between good and evil, an evil entity makes moves to wipe out an entire generation of would be reincarnated heroes before they could become adults. The roleplay would follow the handful of survivors who have no memory of their former lives, but have all the makings of rising to a heroic calling in a world where good vs evil has been tipped in the favor of evil.

Now I've been musing over plot angles and stories for this roleplay but I have decided that I want to run it a little differently than most stuff that I've done in the past. Instead of an over-arcing singular villain I want to focus more on these heroes-to-be living in a time of strife. Evil is all around them in the world in all shapes and forms. The story is about tipping the overall balance back towards good rather than fighting a singular source.

So my thoughts are to start this out following a number of characters in individualized and largely one-on-one plot lines initially, growing their characters and in time connecting up with other characters as their individual stories widen and become entwined.

So with that all said, I'm going to leave this advert very basic with no plot information or world lore, because I want to build the roleplay around the characters. Essentially, I would like to invite people to submit character concepts and a rough idea of 'story' of sorts they would like to pursue with their character (just rough ideas for now). I will then develop the roleplay setting and create individualized plot lines around those character concepts. The only criteria is that the characters be suited for a general fantasy/magi-tech type setting with a heavier influence on the fantasy side of things.

Due to it largely starting out as one-on-one posting with the various players, I do ask that people joining this roleplay have some experience in being able to collaboratively drive a story and post engagingly, rather than passively follow. This means posting in a manner that leaves the other player something to work off from to write replies.

And lastly, because of the divided plots initially. There's no harm to the overall roleplay in abruptly dropping out at any point if a player feels that things just aren't jiving for them. So just let me know.

Last edited:
Adding to the above bit in case people are uncertain what I'm looking for, or how much freedom they have. Freedom is VERY open. I want people to be creative and come up with fun ideas. I don't expect fully fleshed out ideas though! I would be a lazy GM if I had the players do all the GMing for me :p

So I just need rough overview ideas for characters and the sort of story people would like for their character, so I can build a plot/setting with characters/countries/races etc that I feel would work for your overall concept/idea. I then want to take everyone's individual characters and plot lines and entwine it all together.

After I get all the details hashed out and drawn up from the compiled pool of character ideas, the actual finished/finalized characters can be made.

Last edited:
This looks really awesome, and I love the idea of each player and character contributing to the overall plot and world! Would you like the character ideas to be posted here, or in a DM if we are interested in joining?

Here is fine so other people can see ideas and maybe get some of their own :) Getting a good flow/exchange of ideas will be good for this kind of roleplay I think.

Great! That sounds lovely :)

I’ve been thinking about a fantasy character of mine a lot, and I want to see if something like that could work in this kind of story!

The basic idea is a priestess who serves a god of opposites and changes, like the cycle of the sun and moon or life and death. She has difficulty reconciling the changing nature of her deity with finding parts of herself that she can commit to and stand behind, and her character journey is about sticking with her own decisions and beliefs and growing her self-confidence.

This is just a vague idea, and I would love to receive feedback!

I like it. Was thinking that the world itself with everything going on is very much in a state of change and turmoil. Could see a god of opposites and changes making a solid niche for his/herself in such a world. Any thoughts on race/species for her?

(also I'm off to bed, so I'll reply more tomorrow!)

Glad you like her! I’ve never really thought of her as anything other than human, but now that I think about it, making her some kind of were-creature like a werewolf or something might be interesting, where she has to learn to accept and be okay with both of her forms

Ooh. I could work with that actually. Especially if you would be interested in having her initially human. :) schemes

Alrighty. I'd like to get at least 3-5 players to start out, so I have a good foundation to build off. So I'll see if we get some more bites.

This is super interesting, I'll definitely want to join in on this. Will think up some character concepts soon.

Alright, another player hopped on board too!

vidari: Do you have anything in mind for a cultural origin for your character? Or would you like me to whip something up for you as far as a region of the world to start her out in. I'm 100% fine with either.

If the latter, toss me a general feel you're going for. IE nomadic groups, big prosperous city, high fantasy culture, low fantasy, humans predominately, mixed races, heavier or lighter influence of magitech, etc.

If you already have something detailed in mind, hit me up in private message so we can polish it out.

Last edited:
If you could create something, that would be great! I was thinking a large, rich desert trading city around an oasis that’s a hub for all sorts of people and ways of life

Oh, I already have something in the works that would work great for that :D Perfect. AND makes sense for what I may or may not be scheming for your character.

Great! That’s awesome to hear :)

I want to start designing her, cause drawing my characters helps me flesh them out, and I was wondering if there’s anything else you’d like me to take into account for her design?

Would love to join this as well! I like how these characters have a hidden past/legacy going on.

I have an idea for a centaur character. Perhaps in a past life he'd have been a great warrior for a powerful tribe - but at current he lives in a time where centaurs are highly rare creatures who in turn face constant prejudice as being dumb and aggressive beasts. He leans into that label, his untapped potential being reduced to jousting other creatures in tournaments. Since he's a "built-in-horse", he's gained some infamy in the sport which comes with objectification. It provides good coin but the passionate, herd-mentality side of him is tired of fighting alone, desiring a purpose and a people. Happy to plonk him in any kind of setting. :)

Last edited:
Vidari: Nah. Whatever you come up with I can incorporate.

Clarkey: I can work with that :)

Going to start getting some of the countries/regions written up today.

Hi all, I hadn't got around to posting here yet but I'll also be joining.

My character was taken from her nomadic people to be raised as a diplomatic hostage in the capital of an expansionist, xenophobic nation on the rise. She was indoctrinated and enlisted into their military but is starting to become aware of what the imperialism she's participated in must mean for her family and homeland.

Looking forward to rping with you all.

I think I have the perfect character for this. It's an OC I've recycled a couple of times. A wandering monk whose monastery along with many others was destroyed by evil sources. They were a neutral organization but were wiped out because they were working to balance out the rising corruption and tyranny in said world, whatever this world happens to be. The monk holds the last sacred text of their organization which holds a "key" to something. Since you're creating the world from scratch, this could literally mean to be anything lol They're an addict & a drunk because they're tormented with nightmares and feel they lost their place in the world, although that could be easily replaced with "they have forgotten everything and don't know who they really are". Thoughts? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back