Favorite Five Characters in Batman's Rogue Gallery

Lore Weaver

To me, barman has the most diverse and fascinating Rogues Gallery in all of mainstream Comicdom. If you feel differently we can have a separate discussion/debate/flame war (just kidding on that last one.)

When I started to narrow down mt favorites, I realized I could (barely) only narrow it to five. And even then some of my answers might change on a given day. if you can narrow it down to less, more power to you.
Here are my five at this time in no partilar ranking.

1. Harvey Two-Face: A villain who once pursued justice as the DA,the complete dichotomy represented in his appearance, personality and his decision-making-promising is one of the best representations of a character living his internal struggles externally for the world to see. Add in the fact that he was once an ally of Batman and the story-telling possibilities are endless.

2. The Scarecrow: His use of fear as a weapon, the way he forces people to confront and battle fears they may have kept hidden for a lifetime are very conducive to both character and plot development.

3. The Joker: I debated excluding him because it is pretty much cliche to put him on a list like this. But there i a reason he is Batman's most iconic foe. Complex, enigmatic, relentless, psychopathic and possessed of a dark humor that is second-to-none, he's the prototype for what an insane killer in fiction should be. Add in the fact that he knows what makes Batman tick better than anyone this side of Alfred and you have one of the most dynamic, complex antagonist/protagonist relationships in comics and fiction in general.

4. Poison Ivy: A villain with a cause pretty much everyone can identify with, the fact that she is so over-the-top and nihilistic as well as self-deluded in her devotion to her mission makes her at times an almost sympathetic character. Combined with her sultry, seductive demeano, right down to her literal kiss-of-death and she is one of the medium's ultimate femme-fatales.

5. Catwoman: Soeaking of femme-fatales, she is Batman's most problematic for/ally. Depending on which version of the character is presented, she is not really one of Batman's more twisted/unstable villains. But their mutual attraction challenge shim in ways other opponents don' His constant efforts to reform her and her internal struggle to keep walking the tightrope between good and evil make them both dangerous to and needed by each other.

NOW, THIS IS MY KIND OF QUESTION!
1. Killer Croc
2. ManBat
3. Ventriliguist and Scarface
4. Twoface
5. Scarecrow

It was hard to pick because I love them all

Back