Feathers, Ink, and Fangs

TMITM

Megalomaniacal Arbiter
@Annie
Blindfold was having a less fun than average day, he realized as he walked along the busy street of the town he was currently in.

First of all, he dreamt last night.

Well, it wasn’t just about the dream. Blindfold had dreams almost every night, sometimes strange, horrific ones, sometimes ones of things he couldn’t hope to understand, and sometimes (Mostly) the Man would find a way to sneak into his dreams so he could bother Blindfold some more. But Blindfold was used to the dreams. No, it wasn’t about that, but this was the first time that Blindfold had dreamt darkness.

Normally, in Blindfold’s dreams, he could see, in stark contrast of reality, seeing colors and shapes and movement, eventually waking back up to darkness. Nothing… but not this time. This time, he had dreamt of darkness, he could hear things, he could feel things, but he could not see. Despite however much Blindfold liked to pretend he had accepted his new, non-sighted life, he missed his sight, and his dreams had always featured the return of that ability, but last night was the first night, it seemed, that his vision wasn’t there, and that, naturally, upset him.

Secondly, his arm hurt. His right arm, to be exact.

Blindfold had always had what seemed to be some sort of supernatural tracking device on him; the Man seemed to draw the unwanted attention of those more attuned to whatever it was, magic or something, and this kind of unwanted attention usually turned out to be… violent. This past time, a particularly powerful Vampire had wanted really badly to feed on Blindfold, and that, of course, had spiraled into what the Man described as a ‘physical altercation’. A fight. The Vampire had scratched Blindfold’s arm pretty badly before Blindfold was able to convince them to leave him alone, and it wasn’t healing like it usually would, the Ink being able to effectively heal Blindfold, because of, Blindfold guessed, the Vampire’s dark magic or something. Personally, Blindfold didn’t know, and the Man had been less than cooperative when he had asked. Nevertheless, it hurt. Blindfold could deal with it, but it hurt.

The third reason was why he was here.

Blindfold stopped in front of a building, well, he didn’t know exactly if it was the right building because he couldn’t see, but he had asked for directions to this place and everyone had pointed him in this direction. Besides, he had gotten good at directing himself though a city by knowing it’s organization, as Blindfold couldn’t see street signs or numbers, and asking for help was embarrassing.

He assumed this was Cozy Cottage Child Care, and as Blindfold opened the door, he assumed it was being remodeled. Blindfold could smell the sawdust and the fresh paint, so that was his best guess. Blindfold couldn’t think of any other options, unless the daycare hosted a wood shop class, which he doubted.

Blindfold maneuvered himself though the building, clicking his tongue every few seconds to make sure he was in the right place. Blindfold had learned echolocation a few months into his blindness. It helped, but Blindfold wasn’t super good at it. Well, Blindfold wasn’t exactly blind, per se. His vision looked like constantly shifting TV static, as soon as he thought he saw something, it slipped away. Besides, the sheer amount of information in his New Sight was enough to simply incapacitate him from sensory overload. For this reason, he wore his Blindfold, which lessened the effects.

“Hello?” Blindfold called, hoping that someone was in here. “Anyone here?”

Mariah had been in the room that was to be her bedroom painting, she thought she heard the door open, and she stilled her paintbrush so she could listen. The workers were in the second largest room toward the front of the house installing a wooden clubhouse area in a corner of the room that would become the main childcare area, that area would have individual areas geared to different types of play for the kids to explore. The sawdust sometimes got to her, so she'd have to step out and get some fresh air though she loved the smell of the types of wood they were using, cedar and pine, they had such a soothing aroma to her.

When she heard a person call out to her, she emerged with, a paint brush in her hand, "Hi. How can I help you?" Realizing he may not be able to see her she wiped her hand on the apron she was wearing to clear away any paint residue and lightly touched the man in front of her, "I'm Mariah. The owner of Cozy Cottage Child Care, it's my pleasure to help anyway I can."

@TMITM

As Blindfold called out to whomever was in here, a few workers he hadn't noticed before working on something, it seemed, ahead and to his left. Then, by the footfalls he guessed it was a woman, came into the entry room where he was standing. By a sharp sound coming from the room that seemed to be having a rather aggressive remodel, he got to get a vague sense of the - again, he was guessing - woman, and could tell she was wearing some sort of extra cloth, maybe an apron, with - Blindfold had noticed the smell of paint had increased a bit when she entered - paint on it? That was his best guess.

'Hi. How can I help you?'

Oh. Yes, it was a woman. I mean, you never can tell, but Blindfold was about 99% sure now. Blindfold guessed it didn't matter, anyway.
Blindfold felt the touch, as needless as it was, he appreciated the gesture, recognizing it as kindness and a wish to accommodate him, which Blindfold always appreciated. Nevertheless, Blindfold had attempted to pretend to not notice whatever was happening before the touch. He had learned awhile ago to take advantage of people's underestimation of him, as they'd normally never suspect him of - well - whatever it was he did.

It is a wise man that plays the fool, The Man remarked.

Oh. I forgot to mention.
Unfortunately for Blindfold, a voice in his head that was not his was fairly common. The mysterious and enigmatic Man in the Mirror was always there, making snide remarks, attempting his rather annoying form of advice, and very occasionally, offering information.

'I'm Mariah. The owner of Cozy Cottage Child Care, it's my pleasure to help anyway I can.'

Mariah, he thought to himself, trying to memorize the name. Normally, he was bad at names, maybe because of his lack of sight - faces were important in recognizing people - but as he guessed he was going to be seeing this person at least one more time, he strove to remember that. Mariah.

Pretty name, the Man remarked.

Be quiet, Blindfold said, plainly.

Oh, right. He was supposed to answer. Human interaction.
"Hi," Blindfold returned, which seemed to be the natural thing to do. "I've come because..." Blindfold was distracted by the sharp sound of a saw coming from the other room. "...that remodeling. How long is that going to take?"

You're bad at this, The Man said, chuckling.

Shut up, Blindfold growled at him internally.

@Annie

Mariah let the man take his time on considering what she had said, sometimes people wandered in not realizing this was going to be a place for childcare and came into it expecting a coffee shop of some sort. This gentleman didn't seem like he had any kids but she could be wrong. When he questioned the remodel she grinned, "I hope it will be done in about 2 weeks. We can step outside so we can talk if you like."

Mariah was doing her best to accommodate him, if he felt better away from the noise of the workers she would be happy to help, the work sometimes got on her nerves too but she knew the payoff would be worth it in the long run. "We can go out to the patio it is the most recently finished area and should be quieter, at least until we officially open.

@TMITM

Blindfold felt grateful for this person trying to accommodate him, although he did feel a bit patronized, but that was fine. She didn't know what Blindfold could do. Although Blindfold's hearing hadn't gotten a significant upgrade, since he had to rely on it, it had certainly gotten more sensitive. And Mariah was right, the noises, if not significantly hurting anything, were distracting him from their conversation. Besides, he liked going outside.

"Yes, going out to the patio would be nice," Blindfold said, smiling a little. "Thank you," He added, more than willing to accept her hospitality than be stubborn about what he could or could not do.

To Blindfold's relative surprise, the Man didn't make a snide comment or try to offer 'advice'. He just kept quiet, unlike him, but Blindfold could feel his piercing gaze through their link. He was watching intently.
Two weeks - hm. Blindfold would have to find somewhere else for - ah - the reason he came here. That could be a little problematic. Of course, Blindfold had no idea when he would find what he was looking for, so it might suffice.

@Annie

Back