Feelings from Childhood~ (w/Appletree)

LadyDovahkiin

Please call me Dovah~
Plot- Your guy is the King's personal bodyguard and childhood friend. He is the one that came up with the idea of calling the King his ‘Queen’ after the prince tried on a dress in private. Not knowing that his best friend had been watching. The two have feelings for each other but the council does not approve of him and insist on the 'Queen' marrying another ruler. Can your guy convince the King to ignore the council's will?

Name: King Rainerius of Wirara
Species/Racial Origin: Human
Appearance/Description: Rainerius stands tall and nimble, many call him feminine. But do not mistake that for him being weak, he a skilled sword fighter and even better archer. His skin is a light almost golden sort of tan, no matter how long he stands in the sun or out of it. His body is lined with scars from childhood and war. The worst being a burn mark overtaking half his face, causing those who do not know him to be intimidated by him. Luckily, he prefers to keep his raven black hair long and it tends to fall in front of the scar when he isn’t wearing it back. The long strands of hair frame a thin face and startling topaz blue eyes, that seem to see straight into your soul and to your darkest secrets.
Personality/Attitude: Stern, but can be soft-spoken. Attentive and yet can get easily distracted by anything he considers cute. So babies of human or animal race for instance. Rainerius is very rarely ever seen angry, truly angry. As king he must always be in a calm state of mind, to think things through and make hard decisions.
Family/Friends/Pets/Etc: A young sister (Reena) who is one of the palace Healers. A large black panther named, Thanos.
Skills/Talents: Skilled with the sword, but prefers the longbow.
Hobbies/Interests: Stargazing, writing, archery, animals.
Other: N/A

Rainerius stood gracefully from the Grand Throne as the Council agreed to end this meeting, with a pleased and polite smile he nodded to them. “I thank you all for coming here and sharing your thoughts with me. As always I will think over them accordingly and return an answer to you as soon as I can,” he spoke loud and clear, doing his hardest to not show his discomfort or the anger he felt towards them at this very moment.
Receiving satisfied acknowledgments, he then stood patiently as they one by one came up to him praise him and also assure him that the Council’s will was for the best. After which they all left the throne room, chattering amongst each other. As the last one of them swept through the closing doors, Rainerius eyes hardened and his smile melted away.

Sighing audibly, he sat back down on his throne closing his eyes and taking a few deep breaths. He had to stay calm, he knew this was going to come up. Maybe not this soon, but it was whether he wanted it to or not.
“For the good of the Kingdom,” he murmured tiredly. That's what they said was the reason, but he knew it was because they wanted more control over him. The Council still saw him as naive, even though he took the throne at 16 and has ruled it well. The land and people are happy and have prospered, now it was time to pull him in apparently. Rainerius slim fingers tapped against the arms of his chair and he shifted uncomfortably. He really should get up and change if possible, what he was wearing may suit a King, but was heavy and hot.

Kianto stepped through a door at the upper end of the throne room as the esteemed council members filed out the main door at the other end. He stayed out of sight till the last coat tail had disappeared before emerging silently from the shadow of the throne just as Rainerius flopped rather bonelessly into the great chair. Kianto eyed the King for a moment; he looked defeated, more than just tired on a physical level, he thought.

Kianto leaned on the high back of the chair and reached over to ruffle through Rainerius’ hair.
“What did they want this time?” he asked sympathetically.

Not being a scion of his house, no matter how noble, he was barred from these most important council meetings, no matter that he was counted as their rulers most proficient guard as well as long-time friend and advisor. Unable to spectate or fulfil his proper duty, he was forced to skulk outside, ‘guarding’ the doors, as if that would help much in the event that something actually happened.

Still Rainerius generally confided in him afterwards, so he had an idea what might have been on the agenda. The council was always trying to get their King to acquiesce to some demand or another. Most were small matters of no lasting importance, but Rainerius’ expression told Kianto it was a more major request this time.

Totally not pouting, Rainerius swatted lightly at the hand messing his hair up. "Hey, it took a good hour to get my hair perfect," he shot, in a mocking tone. He honestly did not care a lick. Then he sighed and sagged again, while rather unkingly glowering at the floor. "Have I mentioned how much of a pain this ruling business is?" he drawled, crossing his arm over his chest.

After a moment though, his glower slipped away and he closed his eyes, hands clenching and moving to rest on the chair arms. "I simply can't avoid it any longer, Kianto," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. Rubbing his face, he pushed himself up from his throne, eyes hardening. "They are demanding I marry. That I host a ball for Kings and Queen to come and pick a spouse. They... are right. It's time," he murmured, faltering at the end. Glancing at his oldest friend, with sorrowful topaz eyes, he forced a smile. "Well, least you will probably have someone helping you keep me in place," he joked weakly.

Kianto pulled his hand from Rainerius’ hair, but let it dangle just over his head, threatening a repeat attack. At the kings complaint, Kianto couldn’t help the slight grin that tugged at his lips. “No I don’t think you have, at least not in the last few hours.”

Rainerius’ quiet explanation, Kianto felt the smile slip off his face like water off a lotus leaf. He knew how the King felt about a potential marriage. He manged to choke out nothing more than an “ah…” before his friend uttered the self-deprecating remark.
“You know full well I don’t need help keeping you in line!” He snapped, not angry at the slight against his prowess as a protector, but more the fatalistic attitude Rainerius was adopting.
Quieting himself slightly, he asked “Is there really nothing you can do?”

The king glanced at his bodyguard in some surprise at the snappish tone, but then he forgot about it at his question. Sighing, he nodded firmly. "Yes, Kianto. The ball will be held in three nights... I should go get the preparations together," he muttered, more to himself. Nodding, he stood and headed out of the throne room, not looking to see if his friend and bodyguard was following. The king could tell this demand was off-putting for him, for some strange reason. After he wasn't the one getting married against his will. But, whatever the case he would give him some time to think and follow.

“Rain wait – I…” Kianto sagged back against the throne, not sure what he actually wanted to say. He had never been good with words, unlike Rainerius. He had to be of course, as king and all, but sometimes a tiny part of Kianto envied his friend for the gift. Had their roles been reversed, Rainerius would have found something better to say, reassurance perhaps or something to lighten the general mood as he had attempted just now.
He didn’t even really know why he had lashed out like that. Sure, he didn’t like Rainerius talking himself down, but that didn’t warrant him all but yelling at his friend.

Three days, Rainerius had said. Three days until he would choose a bride who would likely look down on her husbands friendship with his bodyguard just as the council did. Was that what was bothering him? Was he jealous of the future relationship Rainerius might have with his wife because it might bear down on their own friendship? He shook his head wildly in an attempt to rid himself of the thoughts, making the long thin braids he had forgotten to tie back that morning whip around his face, the tiny beads embedded in them clicking as they struck one another. Taking several deep calming breaths, he walked briskly out of the throne room to catch up with his King.

As the king walked through the halls, his thoughts wouldn't stop going back to his friend. He was rather concerned by the way he snapped, it was unlike him. 'Well, it's not like you don't want to snap and yell about everything.' The king thought to himself, dryly. That was the truth. If he had a choice and wasn't compelled to be put together all the damn time then he would've yelled too. Maybe even thrown stuff. But that was not his lot in life, this was.
"I'm sorry, Kianto..." Rainerius murmured sadness in his voice and eyes. But then he felt a bit... strange, hot. At the thought of causing his best friend pain- no, the very thought of his friend caused him to feel flustered. Why?

It took a moment for Kianto to locate the retreating Rainerius. Spotting the dark head walking down the corridor, eased by the fact that everyone who saw him bowed respectfully, he hastened after him, almost crashing into a serving girl as she came up out of her curtsey. He took just enough time to bow and murmur, “My apologies.” To her before moving on, not noticing that the girl had turned bright red in his wake.

Catching up to Rainerius, he silently took his place as the shadow behind the Kings left shoulder. He didn’t want to say anything now they were in public, so simply matched Rainerius’ long strides towards whichever destination he had planned.

Finally, the two arrived at Rainerius bedchambers and he entered, shoulder sagging polite smile that he had on for those he passed on his way here slipped away. Shaking his head, he headed straight to his closest and threw the door open, pushing back his usual king clothing, he pressed in a panel in the back and it opened revealing a few simply made silk gowns. How you wonder, had he gotten these without raising suspicion? Easy, he anonymously sent for dresses for a Lady-in-Waiting that matched his description closest, though now he was privately learning to sew so he could do it himself...

The soft smile that touched his lips fell, as a thought he hadn't realized occurred to him. Once he married he wouldn't be able to wear such clothing. Running his hand along the silk cloth a moment, he then pulled the dresses from the closest and walked to the fireplace that wasn't currently lit. Taking a seat on the floor, he looked between the cloth and fireplace. "I should probably get rid of these. Whomever I marry will no doubt be repulsed... Even then, if they weren't and it slipped out... Who knows what it'll do to the Kingdom's reputation," he mumbled aloud, voice rather dull.

Kianto followed Rainerius and closed the door behind them before flopping into a chair in the spacious room. He lay with his legs thrown over one cussioned armrest with his back bent almost painfully over the other. Dark brown braids tinkled against the floor as he turned his head to watch an upside down Rainerius head for the large closet. Seeing him thrust his arm through to the back, he rolled his eyes, knowing what the realms great leader was looking for. He had never understood his friends fascination for female clothing, despite having been his accomplice in the matter since they were very small. Between his multitude of sisters as well as his best friends interest, Kianto knew more about clothing, make up and hair styles than any male really should. It made him slightly uncomfortable sometimes, but it was worth it to see the joy on Rainerius face every time he procured a new dress or was able to find a few moments of spare time to swish around in expensive silks.

At Rainerius sad little voice, Kianto surged out of his chair, a feat made difficult by his previous draped position. Finally he managed to roll and land in a crouch beside the chair, before springing up and rushing over to Rainerius’ side, all thought of an apology for his earlier behaviour forgotten. “Rain no.” he knelt next to him and placed a precautionary hand on the fabric in the dejected mans lap in case he actually decided to go through with his morose ideas. Kianto knew the dress he held was one of Rainerius’ favourites, its colour almost perfectly matching his eyes. “You don’t have to give up everything just because you have to marry someone. For all you know, she’ll accept this side of you too, just like I did.” The words felt sour in his mouth as he said them, although he didn’t know why, they were true after all.

Managing a weak smile, he looked at Ki with uncertainty. "Even if they do... One small slip and everyone will know. Gossip, especially a kind like this spreads like wildfire. I know I can trust you with this but someone I know nothing about? I can't risk that," the king insisted even though he really truly did not want to. Shaking his head, he gripped the fabric tightly, thinking. He couldn't risk his kingdom for his own small bit of pleasure. Rain made a vow when he became king that his people would always come first. Topaz eyes stared at the beautiful color of the dress for a long moment.

Letting the dress slip through his loosened fingers he stood, turned and headed back to his closest rummaging through his lighter tunics. "I think an exploration through the jungle sounds nice," he said voice strained. Rain couldn't make a decision now but, he would, later.

“You’ll get to know her.” Kianto insisted. “You still have the ultimate say over this marriage business, not the council. You can choose the right girl to be your bride, someone who knows just as you do the dangers of gossip and can hold her tongue.” He wanted to hug his friend, be a comfort with more than just words, but Rainerius stood up before he could, leaving a puddle of fabric in his place. With a quiet sigh, Kianto picked up the garment and shook it out. Rainerius would only be more upset if he came back to find wrinkles in the cloth. With it draped over his arm he joined his friend at the closet and reached over his shoulder for a hanger.
Replacing the dress and pressing the panel to close the hidden compartment, he backed towards the door with an elaborate and sarcastic bow. “Whatever her royal highness wishes. Let me go change, I’ll meet you back here in a moment.”

Rainerius laughed softly, but then focused on his clothing. Once dressed in a simple tan tunic, he slipped on a black cloak and leather boots. Gazing at himself in the mirror he nodded in satisfaction before heading out of his bedchambers. Standing outside of his chambers, he leaned against the wall patiently waiting for his friend and guard. He was doing his hardest to put his future choices to the back of his mind for the time being. Right now he just needed to get away from it all.

Kianto headed out of Rainerius‘ chambers and down the hall to his own room. Luckily it wasn’t far; as a personal guard to the king, he had to reach his charge quickly at all hours. Closing his door behind him he looked around briefly. Though not as grand and spacious as the royal suite, his room was comfortable and still large enough to give him enough space for practice with the weapons displayed on the rack at spanned the wall next to the door.

Moving to his own closet, he picked out a tunic at random and threw it onto the bed to be joined by a thick belt and airy cloak. He stripped out of his indoor clothing and donned the shorter garment. The dark green tunic fell to about mid-thigh, its hems simply embroidered with lighter green thread. Sturdy laced up sandals replaced the finer, but still utilitarian slippers he had worn previously. To the back of the belt slung about his waist he buckled two long slender knives, each roughly as long as his forearm before twirling the dark material of the cloak out to rest over his left shoulder. The cloak, which reached no further than his tunic, was fastened under the right arm, leaving the appendage free to move and wield the long spear Kianto picked out of the rack before leaving the room.

Rejoining Rainerius he asked, “Where to princess?” making sure that his voice was low enough so the last word was not overheard.

Back