Flames From the Past (1x1)

Focusedheart

Through all, smile. Through the worst, smirk.
"Monica come down for dinner." her mother's voice called from the base of the stairs in their small home in the city. The stairs a straight shot to the second floor. Soon a tall and lanky fifteen year old appeared at the top of those stairs. A t-shirt with an owl on it hung from her small frame as sweat pants covered her slender legs comfortably. Her feet were bare and moved rather softly on the wooden stairs a she made her way down there.

Her mother smiled to the child. "What's for dinner momma?" "Your favorite ham and mashed potatoes." They exchange a smile before heading in the direction of the kitchen. Monica splits off and heads to the dinning room where her father already sat drinking his nightly dose of herbal tea. He believed it always healthy to drink at least one cup at night.

He lifted his head as he saw Monica and smiled to her. "Hey there study bug. You ready for that big exam tomorrow? I hear it's suppose to be hard." He gave her a smile and a wink. He knew his daughter well enough to know that there really wasn't a hard test for her.

Suddenly there was a scream in the kitchen. They both turn to look only to see a strange glowing flame coming from beneath the swinging kitchen door. Her father was on his feet in an instant and ran for the door, yelling over his shoulder for Monica to stay put.

As he disappeared into the kitchen, there was another scream, this time it was her father's. Monica felt frozen for a moment in the silence that followed. Then the door to the kitchen began to move, flames licking up the sides of it. The kitchen was completely covered in the flames as it burned and tore through the old wood.

What stood in the door way, was nothing short of impossible. A monster. It's body seemed to be covered in the flames. No, it's body was the flames. With two curving horns on the top of it's head and spikes at the back of it's elbows with long claws on it's feet and hands. It's eyes were the darkest of dark. Not black, but just straight darkness. In that silence they just stood and stared at each other.

Then the monster moved. It lunged for her with speed she had never seen. The child ran for the front door. She reached it but not before she felt something snap out and take hold of her left ankle. Her body hit the ground as her head smashed into the iron door knob. She rolls to her back to stair at the monster.

It was moving closer. Suddenly she saw what had grabbed her ankle. The flames. Her ankle was burned deep and suddenly the flames moved from the monster again, wrapping around both her hands and wrists. She felt the burning this time and she screamed from it. The monster only smiled as it sent another whip of flames at her face. It burned across her eyes causing her to scream again.

The smile was shattered though as the door at the front was suddenly smashed in with an ax. A man in a firefighter suit looked to her and instantly went to grab her. When she looked for the monster, it was gone and darkness took her as she blacked out.

********************************* 7 YEARS LATER****************************************************

Gasping for air, she rose from her bed. Her hand on her cross about her neck and her other on a gun beneath her pillow. Her eyes squinted at the darkness as she searched the shadows of her room. Slowly she released the cross and grabbed her red oval shaped lenses and put them on. Once the glasses were in place she saw that there was nothing. It was the dream again or nightmare for that matter.

Dragging her sore body from the bed, she began to go through the motions of her physical therapy. Her left ankle, hands, wrists and skin around her eyes all bore the scars of the burning she had received seven years ago. To this day she went through the physical therapy to deal with it. It was the only way to keep her hands mobile so she could even have a normal job. Her eyes were slowly losing their sight each year and the doctors said she would be blind by the age of twenty five possibly. She had a limp in her left leg from the scarring. She could walk but there was no being normal for her.

Yeah she had seen a therapist after telling the cops and the firefighters what she had seen. She had been lucky though because they kept it from the papers and only marked it as a gas stove explosion. It still never explained the strange burns she had received though.

Once dressed after a cool shower, she didn't bother with breakfast. She was never hungry in the morning. Instead she took a travel mug of hot chocolate with her and made her ever long walk to the building she worked in. It was the one with the big S on it for Sight Papers. She worked on the pictures for them, editing them and getting the effects right on them. It was a relaxing job and one she could do with her scarred hands.

She wore a soft pair of jeans that looked real nice with a green dress shirt. She was allowed to wear her sneakers and basically whatever she wanted within reason of course. The boss had hired her straight from high school in hopes of getting her store but had after three years settled for getting her amazing work. No one bothered her much anymore. They would look and stare but nothing more. She was glad for it.

She would walk along the side walk until she reached the building to be at work by 9am. Her long dirty blonde hair was lose around her head with it's red highlights showing in the sun.

Dustin Champion huffed heavily as he stepped from his car and glared down at his watch. It wasn't normal for the man to be late but sadly an unwanted house guest had made it a pain in the ass to get to work on time. He hated his twin at times. Emma was great but still she had her moment of being a cronic pain in his back side. He pulled his shoulder length black hair into a high pony tail before heading around the corner to the parking lot. When he rounded the corner he noticed a woman walking into his building he was sure he hadn't seen before.

Champion Corperation did many things from medical research to making toys. It was a place for people to let their inner wishes be known or found. His amber gaze could see this woman had many wishes to be granted. Without much thought he was over to the door and pulling it open as her own hand reached out for it, "After you," He told her softly, "Are you visiting someone here?"

Monica hadn't even been at work for fifteen minutes before her boss had an errand for her to do. Her coworker hadn't shown up, which meant the pictures that she needed to edit for the piece on the Champion Corperation wasn't there yet so he wanted her to go pick them up so she could get them don. That meant another walk. She didn't mind walking though. It helped with her leg. So grabbing her mug of hot chocolate, she headed out the door once more.

She couldn't wait for the weather to warm up as she shivers a little. Sipping at her hot chocolate as she walked, she found the building she needed to get to. It was easy to find and was luckily right around the corner from her own office. Just as she was reaching for the door, someone got to it before her. She blinks a bit at the man that had spoken to her. "Thank you." Then she realized he had asked her something. "Yes, I'm from Sight Papers, here to pick up some pictures for the article we are doing on the new research development section." She says smiling softly as she steps inside with him out of the cool breeze.

He smiled softly down at her then blinked slightly, "Oh, I see," So she did work for him. Well not him directly. As soon as they stepped inside he nearly regretted it. Connie was on him in a flash.

The tall angry looking red head glared at him from behind thich black frames, "Mr. Champion!" She greeted, "What the hell? Why didn't you tell your sister no? It's not like you don't have a life you need to be perfect at!"

His expression was quickly uncaring as he put his hand to the small of Monica's to navigate her towards the bank of elevators at the other side of the entry room, "I hear ya, Connie, perhaps you should realize that it's none of your business what I do. Also as I have warned you," He turned to the woman, "You're fired. I would like your office cleaned out by no later than tomorrow. Good day."

With that he hit the up button and lead Monica into it. Once inside he hit the two buttons the 3rd floor and 8th, "Sorry you had to see that," He said glancing at the woman next to him.

She blinks a bit in confusion at the interaction between him and the woman as he guided her through the area to the group of elevators. Once on the elevator, she noticed what buttons he had pushed. His apology surprised her as well. It wasn't very common for her to hear an apology from someone, no less the guy who owned the company they were standing in. She nods a little "No need to apologize sir."

Then she holds her hand out to him for a shake. "I'm Monica by the way. Probably should have introduced myself before." She says to him, the talking was also her way of distracting herself from the confinement of the elevator. Close spaces weren't her favorite but from her therapy she had learned how to still handle things like elevators but they still bothered her at times.

The male blinked then took her hand in his, "Dustin," He told her in return, "It's fine. Had I been more of a gentleman I would have fired that woman sooner rather than giving her a second chance," He sighed softly as he leaned back against the elevator as a moment later it dinged claiming to be at the fourth floor, "Here you are. Ask for Joe he will give you want you need. If someone gives you hell tell them to call me."

His hand dipped into the pocket of his suit jacket as he withdrew a bussiness card for her.

She nods at his words as she accepts his business card. "Thank you." She smiles softly and steps out of the elevator. She was glad to be free of the confinement and looks around before finding a man with the name tag that had the name Joe on it. Walking up to him, she smiles a bit. "Hi, I'm from Sight Papers. I'm here to pick up the pictures, I was told to speak with you." She said, smiling softly. She could tell the guy was staring at her scars but she was so used to it, she ignored it and just waited for the guy to get her what she needed so she could get out of there.

This company seemed interesting enough in the short time she had been there. Met the owner, who also fired someone and that was all within five minutes of her being there. Made her really glad that the building she worked in was quiet for the most part.

Joe smiled after a moment of looking the woman over, "Ah! Yes," He vanished into a cubical only to return with what she wanted, "Let me know if ya'll need anything else!"

In his office now he sighed as he debated what to do about a new secretary. Connie had been in the service of the company from the days his old man ran the place. He disliked her but knew she did good work. He growled as he set about seeing about finding a new one.

Monica smiles softly. "Thank you." She said accepting the envelope which contained the hard copies of the pictures as well as the usb that had the digital once on it so she could do any editing if needed. Smiling again, "This should be it, thank you so much." She says and turns to leave. Her eyes glance at the elevators before heading for the sign that read stairs.

It was a much more comfortable thing for her despite the difficulty her leg had started to give her. She took her time and didn't rush so she wouldn't fall. That was the last thing she needed. Her phone rang from the clip on her pants and she answers it. It was her boss from the paper. "Yes sir, I'm on my way back now. I'll have them ready by the deadline." she listened for a moment then said "No sir, the photographer did a good job this time. They seem clearer than last time." She nods a little then grimaces as she nearly fell, she catches herself and stands there a moment. "I'll be there soon sir." She says and hangs up.

Sighing, she runs her fingers through her hair and starts walking again down the stairs. Once at the bottom floor, she heads towards the front door so she could leave.

Joe was up and knocking on Dustin's door as soon as he noted the woman had safely made it out of the building. His green eyes were livid, "You asshat!" He roared after being invited in. The man unlike the woman from earlier had a great reason for being short with the boss, "You sent her to me. Why?"

He didn't handle the things that she had asked about. Hell he had to open a portal and take the needed materials off a second floor office. The young warlock was more than livid as he pushed his blonde hair out his eyes. He was dressed in a simple blue button down shirt and black slacks. He glared at his boss and dear friend sharply.

Dustin sighed, "I sent her to you so you could see if her wishes were achievable," He stated. The look that the other gave him made him huff, "What?"

"It's been ages since you have wanted to grant someone's inner wishes," Joe huffed, "Why this woman?"

His boss shrugged slightly.

The walk back to her little office was quiet and she was glad for it. Once there, she sat down and got started. The pictures had been well done and there was very little for her to do to them. Still she took her time though and made sure to pay attention to every detail and to adjust as needed. After a few hours, she was rubbing at her eyes. They were hurting more than usual lately and the scars were pulling at her eyelids and it made her want to close her eyes and never open them again, or at least until the pain was gone.

Gently she rubs at the scars a bit before sitting back in her chair. She had another hour before the deadline and the pictures were ready. Sighing quietly, she sends them off via email so they could get attached to the article and the proof sent to the boss for a triple check. There was a knock on her door and she looks up to see a round looking woman standing there with a friendly face. "Hey dear. How you doing?"

Cheri was always checking on her and most days she didn't mind but today, she really just wanted peace and quiet. Still she was polite and nods to her. "Doing good. Just sent the pictures off so they should be ready for the deadline." She smiles a little.

Cheri nods. "That's good." Her concerned expression told Monica that the older woman could see she hadn't been sleeping again.

"I'm okay. I see the doctors in the morning." Monica said.

Cheri smiles gently. "That's good dear. Let me know if you need anything." She said before leaving.

Monica sighs quietly and looks back at her computer screen.

Dustin and Joe spoke for a few more moments before they decided that it was nessessary to set up contact with the woman known as Monica. Not everyone in his building knew that there were those around them that weren't human. Some were angels others demons a few fae and more. All of them had come to the business because other places were dangerious for them and their closely guarded secret.

Dustin and his twin were the product of an angel and a human. Seraphims were oddities at times certainly twins. Emma was human while Dustin was angelic.

The male navigated to his email then began writing to Monica.

Dear Monica,

It was a pleasure to meet you today. Again I would like to apologize for the earlier inncedent you had to witness. Please join me for lunch today if you are free.

Sincerely,
Dustin

She had started to work on some other pictures for other articles when her computer chomped at her, letting her know she had received an email.

Opening it up she was expecting to something from her boss about the article but it stead it was from the man she had just met this morning. She stared at her computer as she read the words over and over again.

He wanted to have lunch with her? No one, especially a guy has ever asked her to lunch. She was instantly cautious of the offer and took some time to think it over. Going back and forth about the pros and cons of such a thing. Then finally she replied back.

Dear Mr. Champion,
It was wonderful meeting you as well. Lunch sounds great.
Monica

Champions hardly ever go nervous. It was in their blood to be calm sailors and to make it clear they were a breed unlike any other. But none of that seemed to matter as Dustin made his way the short block to the building where Monica worked. The receptionist just about had a heart attack when she saw him coming. She was worried she had forgotten some sort of importaint meeting that he had scheduled. After much back and forth he finally managed to get her to call for Monica.

"Monica? Um... You have a guest here. Lunch?" She was trying to avoid saying the ultimate boss of the company and was blushing like a mad man. Izuki was a kitsune. She had many winning traits but was socially ackward around those that knew what she was. Dustin knew well enough as did a few other staff members.

The male wondered over to a display to look over a few things while he waited.

Monica was once more staring at her computer when her phone rang. She blinks a bit and answers. She smiles a little at how nervous the receptionist sounded. The woman was always sweet and hoped she was okay. "Okay, thank you, I'll be right down." Which meant it would be about ten minutes because she would take the stairs.

Pulling her coat on, she headed out of her office and poked her head in Cherish office. "Headed to lunch I'll be back." She heads down the stairs.

Once there it was to find Mr.Champion looking over some of the displays. She smiles a bit. "Hello sir." She says as she reaches him.

The displays held little interest after a minute or two but still he plowed on reading each and every word. Tilting his head he blinked then glanced over to the woman that greeted him, "Good day," He smiled softly, "You mind walking? There's a bakery around the corner that makes some of the best food around," He winked as he held out his arm for her to take.

The first thing he aimed to do was make her comfortable. Then ask her of her dreams and wishes. It worked normally. He was hoping he wasn't too rusty with this.

She smiles softly and nods. "I know exactly the one you speak of and it does have great food. I don't mind walking, I prefer it."

She took his offered arm and walked with him out of the building and down the sidewalk. Her leg was feeling better since the morning but there was nothing that could be done about her limp, it was something she had to deal with.

The male didn't miss anything as he walked with he, "What do you know of my company, Miss. Monica?" He asked as they walked the way to the bakery. As they enter. Luke greeted them before taking their orders. Dustin ordered a italian meat ball sub with extra cheese and a soda.

She shakes her head at his question. "Only what I've read in the articles and seen in the pictures I've work on." She realized she never really did look into the company she worked for that hard. Probably something she should have done at some point.

She orders a chicken melt sub. It was her favorite.

After their food was handed over her lead her over to a table in the back of the place, "Well then let me explain," He smiled softly at her, "For starters we are sort of dream seekers. We look for those that have a dream and a wish that we can grant. This is why the company is so diverse. As an employee you are welcome to put in ideas that you think will better the company. I'm further sure the person who hired you made sure to state that there was several medical benefits to working with us."

He started munching on his sandwich some, "What do you think so far of the place?"

Back