The Evrensel Conflict For King and Country -- A Guerra Continua story

Mr. Wade & Watch

Cult of Personality
This universe is indeed an alternate one to ours. There's an earth, and like in many great sci-fi stories, we went to the stars, found aliens, and created a major empire... That didn't go far though. Our reach went to a very small section of the universe. Why is that? War of course.

While the exact year is unknown, it's believed the conflict began 300 years after Humanity's fourth planetary colonization. See, it's the classic American revolution story: The fourth colony had found a unique resource on that planet called, 'Olverian.' It's a plant like substance that, when turned into liquid, can be used to power spaceships; making them faster and travel longer. With this, humanity could go even further out into space. Problem was, the fourth colony wasn't happy since they were feeling mistreated. No money was being given for producing the oil, and much of the planet's ecology like it's plants, animals, and even oceans were all poisonous to humans, and even created viruses that infected the populace.

While earth tried to supply as much food, water, and medicine as it could, the colony was beginning to riot. They were starving and quarantined, and couldn't leave the planet since many of the earth's ships began running on Olverian. And with no money being given to them for supplying the plant, it was quickly going into debt for buying all those supplies. They were trapped. However, there was a revolutionary willing to help. Ivan Tropski. He was a retired admiral of Earth's space navy, and was a former governor of the colony. Once the riots began, he quickly joined up as the leader of the revolts, believing both the money belonged to the colony, and that the colony should be changed to a mining facility rather than a colony. The reason it was a colony to begin with was because Earth wanted to take up as much land as possible on each planet they wanted to use for resources, and the only way to was to make colonies.

This uproar of people angered by how they were being treated by Earth quickly went violent, as earth began using force to stop the riots. In actuality, Earth was doing everything it could to help keep the colony alive, but thanks to propaganda by Tropski and other supporters, people were convinced Earth didn't care about them. To make things short, the colony quickly became a resistance, fighting in gorilla warfare against the Earth's military. And since the colonists knew the planet's terrain better, they were able to send the military off planet, but were embargoed by the ships orbiting the planet, and Earth didn't want to bomb the colony and lose the Olverian resource. A deal was made by the colony to supply it to Earth as long as it didn't embargo the planet, and they agreed to it. Tropski was now considered a hero, and his ideals of what the colony should be quickly made word to all of humanity. Tropskism was created, and in one word: It was like Communism. "all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs." This was what Tropskism was, the colony owned the land of the planet, and wanted it for itself.
This ideology soon spread across all the colonized planets, and the third colony even revolted against Earth as well. To simply everything even more, both the fourth and third planets were independent, the second still supported earth, but barely as Tropskism was also becoming a problem, and the first was actually bombarded by the navy, since they were also close to conforming to Tropskism themselves, and had the biggest military force out of the colonies, and earth was afraid of an invasion by them.

The deaths of hundreds of thousands of colonists only made things worse with Earth and her former colonies. It got even more worse when the colonies went to war with each other. When Tropski died, others tried to go in his place, and the ideals of the colonies quickly were shifted to match that of its new leaders. None of whom lasted long, since there was a coup almost every 3-4 years. With this struggle of power, the colonies went to war with each other, and earth simply stayed back and tried not to interfere in fear of losing Olverian. The fourth attacked first, still suffering from famine and nearly out of food, and soon all out war began. This conflict ended with the third winning, and there was unification between the colonies. But not for long, as the new leader, Cassandra Duiji, is comparable to Stalin. The atrocities made by her was so unhuman, that Earth finally stepped in and tried to stop her. But with the Olverian trade stopped, Earth didn't last long; soon suing for peace.

But it doesn't end there. Remember when I said humans did meet aliens in this universe? Well, while they stayed back and let these human wars go on, they eventually also involved themselves in fear things for all the galactic empires would be worse with their influence spreading across the galaxy. Soon, the colonies went to war with different alien races, and earth even stepped back in once it was supplied with another resource it could use to travel through space.

If all of this seems really confusing, it was. This whole situation became complicated fast, and got even more deadly, as more wars began, and the conflict spread to even more alien races and empires. Basically, Tropski set off a domino effect from his actions. And now there is nothing but constant war.

Olvania: The two colony planets merged into one major empire after they forced Earth's military out of their planetary orbits; calling themselves, 'Olvania' for ironic reasons. On one planet, the third colony, you have a giant city within it's center. The planet is mainly covered in major or small lakes, no oceans. In the middle there are large fields of green grass, while to the north are more forest areas with more animal life, and to the south are mountains.

The city itself self at first seems peaceful and full of life. People seem very patriotic about Olvania, and their moral for the war is high. The culture is rich, the economy booming, it all seems pretty nice. However, if you are tagged as an Earth supporter or happen to speak badly about the government, expect you to be on a list. I think you know where I'm going with this.

The other planet, the fourth colony, is not as cheery. The planet has three continents with oceans, red plant life and orange sky that turns purple at night, but the cities are... More depressing. Civilian life is one of routine. Men get ready to work in factories made to create the Olverian oil, while women work weapon factories. Children are not allowed on the planet, and any born are brought to the third colony. Whether they return to the fourth colony is up the third. Skies over the cities are covered in smoke, and everything is bogged down and dirty. Sanitary is almost non-existent here.

1st Colony: Ah, the first colony. The prime example of hatred between the colonies and Earth. To look at the city as it is, would be like looking at Dark Souls. The city is nothing but dust, ash, and even smoke that has blocked out the sky. from within the city. It's a depressing city, one that shows an omen of what was to come in the galaxy. Buildings have crumbled, and any landmarks destroyed by the ships in space firing down upon on the rioting city, and decayed by time. Bodies have turned to skeletons slowly eroding, and the only people who remain are pirates or bandits looking for a hideout.

Siva: The second human colony, AKA, Siva. This planet has one major continent, similar to that of Pangea. To the south are forests and fields, with the costs made of beaches. The north is nothing but one big giant desert, with swamps and oasis's spread out randomly through the region that are rare to find. The costs are nothing but giant hills that have major drops down to the water that are 10 to 50 miles high.

The cities are only two big one: Siva City, and La Genoa. Siva City is comparable to New York, and La Genoa is Los Angeles. Both are giant cities with tons of life and culture, but unlike Olvania, there isn't high moral. The cities have given up much of its youth for the war effort, and with many of them dying and losing battles in the war, fear has taken over what is usually fun and love.

Right now, no major fighting is going on. Tense peace is all that is happening.

Somewhere in Olvania, a faint, green light flickered as a stranger was roughly shoved out of his world. The yellow sand of the shoreline was faintly illuminated, then more powerfully as the living object was impossibly squeezed through space-time. As the portal finally opened enough for the poor guy to fall through, he was greeted with the momentary sensation of weightlessness, before landing with a dull, soft thump, his body sinking several inches into the beach as he dropped heavily to the ground.

Alken de la Vaettir was never one to panic. Getting to his knees, he pulled his face free of the sand. Fortunately, his visor kept the stuff out of his eyes. Unfortunately, now his clothing was infected with the insidious, gritty stuff. "...Ugh...it's in my uniform." He tried to shake the sand out of his sleeveless shirt, yanking at the turtle-neck of his space-cadet blue ensamble. "...That just made it fall in deeper. Dammit."

He wasn't sure where he was, but he took his time; looking around with his head on a swivel, he searched for anything familiar. I've only been to one beach in my life, and this sure ain't Juonon. Is this some sort of dream?

Then it occurred to him that he'd been drawn into a Summoned Spirit's realm for an attack. Alken yanked his shortsword off of his back, dropping into a combat stance and looking around for any dangerous figures. The SOLDIER calmly checked his weapon; he'd been wearing his sword before this happened, that much was fortunate. "Show yourself!" He remained alert, brow furrowed.

The only thing looking at Alken were small baby crabs that had hatched under the sand and passed by his feet to get to the lake. While he looked around, Alken would certainly see the massive city across the river. It's large buildings easy to spot through the clouds, along with a bridge not too far away. It connected the city to a road along the beach line, and it was a few minute walk. If he followed it to the city, he would likely get to the city in an hour. Though he might want to hurry, as the skies grew dark grey and seemed ready to rain on him. He would start to feel some slight drizzle already along his face and clothing.

When he got on the road, there weren't any cars or vehicles driving on it. Just an empty strip of black asphalt with faded paint lines. It was almost like entering the Imperial City from the Elder Scrolls, the bridge was so long, but even from how far Alken was, the city could easily be seen by how large and bulky those skyscrapers were. They only grew to menacing sizes once he was actually close enough to see them rise miles above his head. If this was a dream, why did it feel so menacing? Like the city was something out of 1984. The walls had eyes, and thinking against the government was a crime.

Alken walked along, keeping his sword low but constantly in hand. He'd never seen a city like this.

More frightening than that, he'd never even heard of this place. There were no cities more advanced than Midgar, to his knowledge. This place looked like it was trying to give Midgar a run for its money, just based on the size. What is this place? The SOLDIER put his weapon away and continued down the road, his helmet lightly drummed on by the flecks of rain.

The misting almost felt nice; like a muted healing spell pinging against his bare arms. He lightly wiped some droplets off of his pauldron as he continued along, folding his arms and looking up at the tremendous buildings. Every single one seemed to dwarf even the Shinra building in Sector Zero.

As Alken walked up the road, he would notice that it was actually a highway. A big one at that, with multiple lanes on both sides, around six for going to and from the city. If the city had such a big population it needed this many lanes, where were the cars? Not once would Alken see one drive past him, nor were there any on the sides of the roads. No signs of a battle, or some world ending catastrophe happened, so where was everyone? After an hour of walking such a long distance, he would eventually have an answer, though not the way he would expect.

Through the fog that slowly engulfed Alken as he crossed the river, he would notice vehicles in the distance parked along the road to block it. There were soldiers on the ground covered behind sandbags, while gunners atop what appeared to be military jeeps aimed out towards the roads with massive chain guns. They could see Alken, and they had all their sights on him once he became more visible through the fog. "СТОП!" One yelled, speaking in Russian. "Положи свои руки в воздух и бросьте оружие!" They were ordering him to do something, but obviously the language barrier was a problem.

Alken could see well enough in the low visibility to know he was in danger before the troopers addressed him. He sneered; Seems the locals don't know who I am. Makes sense, since this place isn't like any I've ever seen.

Resorting to violence right off the bat was never his style. Holstering his sword, he raised his hands. "Don't shoot. I'm not a hostile invader; I'm an agent of a foreign military, but I'm lost." He spoke loudly and clearly, projecting as best he could with every word.

Here's hoping they speak my language.

Keeping his hands high and motionless, he dug in his boots a little, ready to move if they opened up on his position. "I repeat, hold your fire! I'm not here to attack, I'm simply displaced. Take me to your commander, and I promise I won't give you any trouble." He calmly evaluated the enemy's weapons and vehicles.

High quality stuff. If they don't know me, they probably don't know that they're overmatched, unless they have augmentations or anti-SOLDIER armaments. Erring on the side of caution, the SOLDIER prepared to take a knee.

"Arrest me if you must; I'd just like to speak to someone in charge."

The soldiers weren't careful in arresting Alken. They forced his hands behind his back and threw him onto the ground face first. They removed his sword from his back and cuffed his wrists together, however as soon as they removed the sword, they found it difficult to pick up. It took three men to just lift the thing it was so heavy. They kept Alken against the wet road as they called in command on the radio to figure out what to do with the guy, all while the rest of the soldiers crowded around Al like he was the most wanted person in the world and they didn't want him getting away.

After ten minutes, they finally picked up Alken and threw him into a vehicle, driving off towards the city. The drive took them straight through the city, where Alken could see the buildings up close, and it seemed so.... Strange. Like there was this aura of paranoia in every corner of the city they drove past. Al could see people walking across the street, not many, but some civilians, and they all looked away from the car. If he saw them stare at him, they turned away before they were caught, like staring was a crime. It was all a bit 1984 feeling.

Alken wasn't particularly pleased, but it was all to be expected. As he was cuffed and pushed to the ground, he made no attempt to resist. Although it would have been trivial enough to start knocking heads together, he wasn't here as a hostile. Better to be patient and go along with this. Once inside the vehicle, he sat quietly and crossed his legs, leaning back and trying to collect his thoughts. He was completely at a loss for where this location was in the world; for all he knew, it might be a vivid dream of some sort.

It seems this place is under some kind of martial law; must've been an insurrection. Or maybe there are monsters about, and these palookas are keeping the population under control while the elites handle it. Oddly, the latter seemed to be a more realistic option in the SOLDIER's mind.

Arching his back and stretching his arms, Alken yawned. However, there was a small, metallic clink as he did so.

...Whoops. He looked at his now unbound wrists, having accidentally snapped the chain on his handcuffs. Having metahuman strength was a bit of a hassle sometimes; things normal humans took for granted as durable would often fail in a SOLDIER's grip. Maybe they won't notice if I just... Putting his arms behind his back as if the cuffs were working, The SOLDIER hoped nobody would notice that he was more or less unbound.

Back