Four Best Friends

A car pulled up by Anna's house. A medium height chubby girl got out of it, saying goodbye to her driver who'd come pick her up later. She was unusually late for her, but she had a good reason.
Aya used her pocket mirror to check her makeup and everything was on point. Even if it wouldn't matter much, this were her friends after all. They'd seen her walking around looking like a mess before.

Running was unbecoming, so she half walked-half trotted over to the door and rang the Bell. Her stomach churned, between excitement and dreading the explanation she'd have to give. But unexpected shit knocked on everyone's door from time to time. She had just been unlucky this time around.

“Hello stranger !” Anna spoke cheerily, letting her in. “You’re in luck.. we have jam tarts left. And Wizard of Oz has just started. But first, where were you?! I mean, I’m so happy you made it but no text..nothing. You haven’t gone and replaced us have you?” She asked, boring her eyes into her eyes jokingly. She was feeling happy and relaxed from messing around with girls.

“You haven’t have you?” She asked in a more serious tone, after seeing the anxious look on her.

"Nice to see you too, I missed you girls!" Said Aya with a hint of annoyance in her voice after the second time Anna asked her if she had already replaced them. Jesus.

"It's been a week, Anna... I'm good with people, but no, I haven't replaced anyone. That's such a silly question anyway..." She said with a sigh, warmly greeting the other two before explaining her lateness.

"I had some homework due on monday, i was going to finish it tomorrow but my dad decided I had to finish it before coming. So I did that as fast as I could!, and now I'm here. Sorry for being late but I couldn't really avoid it. I need them to take me shopping this coming week still, i got invited to a party next friday." She continued, leaving her jacket on the hanger near the door like she always did.

"How was your first week, girls??" Asked Aya once she was done talking. Quietly since the movie was still playing.

“I just thought cause you hadn’t texted..” Anna trailed off. She didn’t like the feeling of someone being annoyed with her, even for a few seconds. Her happy mood faltered, and she remained quiet, keeping her eyes on the film, hoping she just looked immersed with it. And what was that about going to a party and not inviting them along? She remembered. Her sadness growing into defensiveness and anger now.

Luna looked at the door and smirked, "Aye Aya! For the first time, I'm not the last to arrive!" Luna snickered pushing herself off the ground. After Nan's outburst of how she was just waiting for the end, Luna couldn't help but just stare at her for a moment before deciding to sit and watch the movie. Of course, she had seen it about 100 times but eh, it was a classic. Walking over to Aya she moved to wrap an arm around her shoulder, "Homework's boring, I'm lucky my parents are to busy barking at each other to notice." Luna rolled her eyes, "But, i'd say I got this highschool thing under wraps. Oi' check out my nose ring." Luna turned her face so the girl could see.

“Thanks for the homework by the way” Anna turned to Diana, speaking quietly so as to let the others continue their conversation.

The redhead's attention went to Luna now that they were talking, smiling at her friend and laughing quietly at her warm attitude and enthusiasm.

"The nose ring looks awesome, Lu. I was thinking of getting one on my lip to be honest, lower lip maybe. My cousin has two and I like what they look like... but I have to do research on it first. Or something." She said, walking with Luna to someplace they could sit near Anna and Diana. Maybe they just wanted to watch the movie now. They probably talked about their school experience before she arrived.

Luna smiled turning her head so she could watch where she walked, lifting her arm from around Aya's shoulder and placing both of her arms behind her head as they walked. "Research is boring~, I say do it. Worst that could happen is your lip swells for a few weeks." Luna shrugged and plopped back on the ground looking at the TV.

“You haven’t touched the jam tarts” Anna finally said coldly to Aya. She couldn’t sit there feeling annoyed. Especially when no one was noticing. “It would be nice to be appreciated for baking all week”

"I'll think about it, Lu. Maybe you could give me some info on the place you got it done at?. They did a great job!" Said Aya, answering Luna quietly. They sat in silence, watching the movie for a few minutes before Anna spoke. And Aya didn't understand why she was acting like that...

"Right!, is that what's bothering you?. That I didn't try the tarts?. I know they're good anyway." She said, taking a single one and biting into it. She hummed with appreciation. As always, Anna's baking was great. It wasn't like Aya had ever been shy about how much she liked it. But like before, maybe she was paranoid enough to question Aya's taste.

Luna nodded, "I'll text you, the details. I'll even get you a discount, the guy that did it is Marco's friend." Luna sat back pulling out her phone to look up the details. She was grateful for her older brother Marco even if he was a royal pain, not like he lived close enough to bother her anyway. She sent Aya the details and slid her phone in her pocket before Anna spoke. She didn't understand why Anna was mad, she moved herself to sit by Anna and hugged her.

"Anna, Aya's right you know we love your baking. Don't be mad at us~" Luna squeezed the girl gently before letting her go.

Luna's voice and arm on Anna soothed her a little, but it also had the effect of tearing her up. She tried to sound composed but instead sounded shrill. "It's rude to come to a party late and then not even appreciate my baking efforts!" She sounded like her Mother. She wanted to say she wasn't annoyed at Luna, but was scared her voice would sound unrecognisable again.

This wasn't how she envisioned today going, after all her efforts trying to make everything perfect. Her life was feeling out of control.

"What's happening?" Nana Rose awoke with a jerk, after falling asleep when Aya arrived, and reached for the glasses that had fallen onto her lap.

"Oh hello, dear" She spoke to Aya, relaxing at the familiar setting, and then her gaze fell on the antique clock on the wall. "Oh no, it's gotten late."

She turned to Anna. "Your mother called while you girls were in the garden. I forgot to say- she was feeling unwell and decided to leave work early."

Then she turned to the girls "She'll want some quiet. Sorry girls but you'll have to say goodbye. You'll be okay getting home?"

Aya just listened, her surprise and disbelief growing by the minute. Why was Anna so upset??. She finished the tart without much enthusiasm, thinking that she should have just stayed home. That way she could have taken her time with the homework instead of rushing through it just to come here for Anna to be mad at her over nothing. At least she got to see Luna and Diana as well.

"We'll be okay, actually, i can call my driver and he can drop you guys at home. Since it's late and all?" She said, looking at Diana and Luna.

Anna wanted to ask whose house they’d meet next Saturday but Diana was already out the door. Diana is annoyed with me now too, she thought to herself, wiping her nose on her blanket. She clutched Nana’s arm, until Nana got up and headed upstairs for bed.

"I'm okay Aya, I have my scooter.." Luna was the last left as the girls stood and trailed out of the door, she scratched her head. Luna knew Anna was upset, but she hadn't expected the others to get irritated as well. She sighed and hugged Anna, "I'll see you next weekend? I'm sure we can figure out whos house to go to as long as it's not mine." Luna smiled and ruffled Anna's hair before walking towards the door, "Bye Nan!" Luna walked out of the door closing it softly behind her before hopping on her scooter and heading home.

Anna couldn’t speak so she nodded, and walked shoulders slumped back to the living room.

It wasn’t long before she was transfixed by the colourful world of oz, and the happenings of today seemed a distant dream like kansas. She fell asleep once the credits started rolling and dreamed of sparkly red heels she clicked together to bring her back to middle school.

"See you next weekend" Said Aya to Anna and Luna before leaving with Diana. They waited until the driver picked them up and dropped Diana at her house.

"How was it, did you have fun?" Said the driver, only getting a sigh from Aya in response. That reunion had royally sucked. And now when she got home it was dinner with her parents and siblings. Not really looking forward to that...

Luna made it home parking her scooter on the side of her house before heading to her door. There was no yelling so she assumed one of her parents had left or gone to bed. She went inside glancing at her dad on the couch watching TV before heading upstairs. She wondered if Diana and Aya were feeling better, it had gotten a bit tense at Anna's house.

After dinner, with her pyjamas on, Aya called Luna.

Luna: Hey Aya are you guys good? It got a bit tense at Anna's and I wanted to check in.

Aya: I'm not sure?, It got super weird... I don't know why Anna was so mad!. I apologised for being late, and then mentioned a party I got invited to on friday and then she was acting super weird Lu. Do you know anything?

Luna: You know anna is sensitive. I'm sure it was something like you didnt invite us. Plus the kids at school keep messing with her....well until I handle it.

Aya: Luna, I was invited by a girl from my class. It's a party for people from my school!. I can't invite anyone. If she really wanted to come she could've said it. I can ask I guess?. But if she's going to be like that... and idiots at her school messing with her is not our fault.

Luna: Don't take it to heart. You know how she is. You dont HAVE to ask. Plus we didnt notice she was upset, she probably thinks we didnt care.

Aya sighed: Look, you know we care. A lot. But we can't read minds!. My therapist says we have to have communication and not assume things all the time. At least for me. Also if you guys want to come I don't mind asking. I just can't guarantee anything...

Luna: you have to remember Anna is a kid. We can always talk to her once things cool down and you know I love parties! So if its okay I'll go.

Aya laughed a bit: Luna we're all the same age... but I mean, do you think Anna will even want to come?, or Diana?. I don't know how many people I can ask to bring. It's at a house after all.

Luna: Anna might not, but the offer at least will make her happy. And you know diana she'd rather be reading... Luna plopped on her bed tossing her bag to the floor. If you want you can join me in the morning. I'm getting a tattoo

Aya: Ohh I'd love to!. I'll totally go with you. And we can talk about this a bit more?. I don't know if i should tell the other girls they can come without asking first if I can bring anyone at all

Luna: It's set then! You'll go with me in the morning and we can talk more.
She laid back on her bed: Just ask and let me know I'll see if the girls would ever want to go to a party.

Aya: See you in the morning then, just text me the time and place. You're amazing Lu!!, thank you so much. I'll see you tomorrow yes??

Luna: Hell yea Aya. It's at XX shop. Like 1pm. I'm heading to bed I'll see you tomorrow?

Aya: Yup!, see you tomorrow Lu. I'm heading to bed as well.
She said, hanging up the phone a few seconds after.

Luna placed her phone on the charger before showering then heading to bed

Back