Front Porch and Entry Way

The front porch is first thing you see when the house comes into view. It's made of white wooden boards and you access it going up a few white, wooden steps. The front door is big and white. It connects the outside with the entrance. You can see into the living room and the music room through tall windows. There's a white wooden railing around it all, and a small roof covers the center but not the sides.

The entry way is a small space with dark wood paneling floors, space for umbrellas and coat hangers, and a small light colored carpet. Directly in front of the door is a wide, white staircase that leads upstairs. Because of the lack of walls you can see directly into the music room and because of the open way, you can also see into the living room. It connects the front porch with the Music room, the Living room and the Upstairs hallway.

It was a warm Saturday morning, around 9:30 am. The boarding house was expecting new tennants, and as was usual with incoming new arrivals there was a bit of a burst of activity. Everything needed to be clean and in order, the room must have been prepared in advance, and everyone had to know someone new would be showing up. Surprises could be nice when it wasn't unexpected strangers in your house.

"What are their names again?" Asked Ishade, yawning just after. He didn't follow the same schedule as his brother, and tended to stay up until very late at night. So he usually got out of bed around 11 am, skipped breakfast and waited until lunch. He was leaning against the wall by the front door. In contrast, Luka had been up for several hours already, as usual. He got up around 6, did some work in the garden, showered and made breakfast. That was done and over, so he had instead been worrying over whether the house was ready.

"G. M. Dark and his daughter, Ivy" Said Luka, leaning to one side so he could look into the living room. He sighed, just as he feared... there was a young blonde man sprawled on the sofa. He looked like he was asleep, but he'd been known to fake it and he knew they had new tennants coming in. So Lukais gestured to Ishade that they should go outside, and they did. The two men now stood out on the porch, a bit of wind messing with their hair.

"What, why so quiet?, I'm pretty sure most of the others are up." Said Isha, folding his arms, as if he didn't already know what bothered the other.

"They might be, but Abel is still... there. I told you to ask him to move." Luka said, with an exhasperated tone.

"And I did! It's probably why he's still there. You know how he is." Answered Ishade with a shrug. He turned his back to his brother and leaned against the railing, resting his arms on it.

"A menace?, Yes, I know." lukais shook his head, they would deal with it later. He heard his brother laugh softly when he called their friend a menace.

"Do you think everyone will get along?" Continued Lukais.

"I guess I hope so, but I don't care that much. As long as they pay rent and don't kill each other." Their light conversation continued as they waited on the porch. Sophie didn't take long to join them through the dog door and sit by Ishade's side.

Last edited:
The front door creaked open, because it always seemed to creak when you wanted to open it quietly, and Rose breezed through it, blinking in the early sunlight. Her red curls fell effortlessly (which is to say, with great effort) around her shoulders, because she hadn't bothered to adopt the more popular ways to style it, and she held a cup of tea in one hand.

"Good morning," She yawned, although she had been awake for awhile, "T'day is the day, yeah? Exciting..." She took a sip of her drink and then smiled, "Well. It's always good t'see a fresh face. Never liked the people around me getting stale. You might want to do something about," She nodded towards the door, indicating the man who was asleep on the couch, "You said it's a father and daughter, yeah? My pa would have a strong reaction if he came into his new dwelling with his daughters and saw a strange man on the settee."

Although, as she said that, leaning casually against the side of the house, she knew there wasn't much which could be done about it. She had lived in the house for long enough, and dealt with him for long enough, to have grown accustomed to just sort of--stepping over him or ignoring him completely, because there was nothing she had seen in her year and a half in the house which would put the fear of god into him.

"How old is the daughter? Do you know?"

As the rest of the tenants populated near the entrance of the old house, a beanpole of a man slinked down from the terrace, dressed in a long, flowing white cardigan and loose grey trousers. Mitch had been awake all night, yet seems to be just as alert as if it were midday. His shaggy brown hair rest unkempt along the top of his head down to his shoulders, and his round bifocals sat slightly crooked atop his nose. He gave a warm smile to each housemate he caught the eyes of, even those supposedly asleep on the couch.

"Hey, it gets boring without someone to excite things just a little bit." Mitch spoke in a smooth, pleasant voice. "Regardless of if they're a new face or an old menace." He ambled up to the front and sat down on one of the white wooden steps with a comforted sigh. "It's a wonderful day for new people. You can't stress so much or your first impression of them will be permanently marred with that same stress."

Sylvia came outside, her snarly ginger hair and dull silver eyes being a dead giveaway that she had just woken up. She would usually go outside in the mornings to get fresh air.

"Hmm..?" Sylvia said groggily, "Why is everyone out here? Is anyone making breakfast?"

Daniel turned around and smiled, his hair also unkempt. "Yeah." He indicated to the people around him "Would you guys care for some eggs? I'm going to make some." He juggled three small eggs in his hands and dropped one after a little while, but he caught it the instant before it was to hit the ground.

Last edited:
"No thank you, I'm not hungry" Rose replied, glancing coyly at Luka, who seemed to be the only other person truly awake... unless you counted Mitch, but he never seemed either fully awake or at all tired. She didn't say so, but she had already eaten that morning, and anyway, she didn't feel like going inside.

"It is a beautiful day for new arrivals, you're right," She said to Mitch, "when I moved in it was pouring. I remember looking like a rat when I stepped inside--and moving all of my belongings upstairs was hell. I seem to recall my hair was wet for the next month. Couldn't have picked a better day, me."

"I think the daughter is around 10, might get along with Mrs. Dunham's kids and well, Mr. Dark knows of Ikanov's... presence, to put it that way. I didn't want it to be a surprise. But we've both tried to get him to move and he won't, so I strongly encourage anyone else to try. " Said Luka with a sigh, knowing very well the other man would most likely not like Abel. Then maybe Abel was being a shit because there was a kid coming in, something he had protested against using a very colorful language that Luka didn't care to repeat. Not even in his thoughts.

"It's not like he weighs that much, maybe we could carry him away" Said Ishade with a snort, watching Daniel closely as the other came out. It wasn't news he knew how to juggle, but whenever he did it with eggs it was still unnerving to the younger Luseth. Luka seemed to have developed an immunity, and merely thought it amusing.

Mitch was greeted by the siblings, with a smile from Luka and a sleepy grunt from Ishade, who was now looking toward the living room windows. He was watching Ikanov, who was sitting, very much awake, with a mug in his hands.

"We're waiting to see if the new tennants arrive soon, Sylvia. Seems like Daniel will be making eggs. I left some toast, marmalade, fruit and milk out and ready in case anyone wanted some. I've had breakfast already." Answered Luka to both the young girl and their resident magician.

"I could eat... but I'll go later, if I go back inside now I will end back in bed, I know it."Said Ishade yawning again, nodding along to Rose's story about the day she arrived.
"I remember that day, the garden almost flooded, but the rain was very inspiring." He added

"I have to get some chairs out here... oh, and I want everyone well dressed, and looking fresh by the time Mr. Dark and his daughter arrive." Said Lukais, seeing many sleepy faces as well as a few who hadn't brushed their hair.

Mitch chuckled at the throwback to Rose's move-in day. "You're telling me, my shoes are still drying from that storm." It didn't even feel like that long ago when Rose moved in, but maybe it was just that disastrous night stuck in his brain. Though, sometimes the best people you know come from the worst circumstances.

Mitch ran a hand through his hair, and it fell right back into place where it was among the mess. He smirked to Lukais. "I'd like to see you get this hair cleaned up. I've tried, it resists me," he said with a laugh. Yet, with no argument, he stepped back inside to get himself 'well dressed', which was more like another, more colorful cardigan, and some better-fitting slacks.

On the way back while brushing his hair fruitlessly, he caught a glimpse of Ikanov, sitting with a mug in his hands. "How do you like your eggs? Scrambled, over easy, or juggled?" He said with a wry, but harmless, grin. That couch was probably the most valuable commodity in the house, not necessarily in value, but how fought over it is. Mitch had made the mistake of crashing on that couch before, and it nearly got him thrown out the window. Needless to say, he learned that lesson very well.

The champion of the couch, a self given title that had no meaning once he lifted his ass from it, looked up at Mitch. He was currently drinking a big mug of coffee so dark it could have been tar. His hair was currently the perfect rendition of a bird nest, and he was barefoot. He knew he'd have to make himself look the part least he give Luka an aneurysm.

"Fried, on a silver platter" He answered, but he had seen Daniel as he went over to the kitchen with the eggs. He didn't know him well, but he was good at juggling he knew that much.

"I should go get ready, but I'm never going t'be ready for a kid in this place." He said with a big sigh, ever so dramatic. He left the mug on the table in front of him as he stood, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders tightly.

"Want to come with me?, maybe we'll find something to keep that wild mane of yours in check. Not that I don't like it the way it is" He winked at Mitch with a half grin on his face. The best they could probably do was to steal a hair tie from the Luseth's bathroom, or use some rabbit tail gum. It was made to mix paint pigments, but hey how bad could it be for hair? Ikanov also knew he had to mind his accent, he shouldn't be letting it slip even for a second.

Last edited:
"Oh, it was a beautiful day," Rose nodded, "It would've even made me feel like I was back home, if I'd've been inside for it." Rose laughed, and then peeked into the entryway, hearing Mitch and Ikanov interacting, "Well, he's up, anyway... It's a bit sad, though, I think, that this Mr. Dark chose to come live here, having been warned about Ika. He must be really desperate." Learning this newcomer was willing to come live in the house with his ten year old, despite being told about the sometimes-housemate who wasn't exactly fond of children--putting it lightly--was curious, and struck Rose as the actions of someone who didn't have many other options.

"Well," She finished the last of her tea, "I think it will be nice t'have a kid around. Sylvia won't be the youngest anymore, for one thing, which I'm sure she's thrilled about," Rose teased, "but maybe we'll unlock some paternal instinct in him yet. How nice would that be? A reformed Ikanov." This, she made sure to say loud enough for those inside the house to hear.

"Y'know what, Danny? I would love some eggs!" Sylvia said, wiping her nose even though she wasn't sick. She had become irritated by the slight breeze pushing her frizzy hair into her face. She hated her hair, it always got caught in things, but her mother ordered her never to cut it, Sylvia hated her mother, too. Her mother wanted Sylvia to be the perfect housewife, only living to serve her husband like a slave.

"Why is everyone out here, anyway? Usually, I'm the only one getting fresh air around here." She taunted, smiling deviously.

"Well that's not true." Rose replied, a bit sharper than she meant to. It was an instinctual reaction from growing up with sisters. And she was right, it wasn't true. Luka was constantly outside rooting around in the garden or working with the horses, and (when she wasn't working), she spent far more time outside than inside, and would often steal away for long solitary walks. And she spent most nights up on the terrace for hours, stargazing. Frankly, Rose hated being indoors, and was outside as often as she was able to be... unless it was a cozy, rainy day, but even then she stayed by a window.

"You've only been here for two weeks," She said, softer this time, smiling casually, as if she had never in her life been annoyed by anyone, "you haven't had time to learn our schedules yet."

Daniel smiled over to Mitch. "Y'know, I would have them juggled, but I have no idea how to make them while juggling 'em," he replied cheekily. He turned to go inside to make them their breakfast. "Over juggled..." he muttered to himself, smiling wider. "Man, you could do well."

Mitch finally gave up on his hair, which continued not to react all that much to the bristles of the brush. Funny, it seems most of his fellow roommates have hair that acts out against them. He noticed this as Sylvia also struggled with her hair dancing in the light breeze. He exhaled a frustrated laugh as he brought his hands down. "Yeah, I sure am a real stand-up comic," he responded to Daniel, a tinge of self-deprecation in his tone.

He smiled mildly. Mitch didn't take the jab about fresh air from Sylvia too personally. He knew it to be pretty toothless. "Trust me, you'll realize we're not much of homebodies at all." Saying that Mitch is not too much of a homebody is quite the understatement. He recalled this is probably the third time he re-moved into this boarding house after a stretch of spontaneous travel. "I'm sure we all could spend some more time together outside, though." He tried to find the median between Rose and Sylvia, his ears sensitive like a Labrador to the rise in tone.

Mitch quirked an eyebrow at Ikanov. "Please," he scoffed with a coy smile, "you haven't even seen my bedhead." He spoke in a lower tone, realizing almost halfway through the implications of that statement. He cleared his throat, "Besides," his voice returned to a normal volume and his eyes went up to the nest atop Ikanov's head. "I'm not the only one who needs some assistance in the hair department. Come on, we can both probably find something to deal with this issue."

"He's not that bad..." Said Ishade, with his back turned to the rest of the people there as he was still resting his arms on the railing. He didn't laugh at Rose's joke. The wording had reminded him of a few bad times a few years prior. He also ignored Sylvia's words, since he didn't go out much himself. He was getting into some sort of thoughtful mood, facing forward but not really there.

Unlike his brother, Luka did laugh a little. But his smile was tight and a bit forced as he watched the others. Off went Daniel and Sylvia, hopefully to have breakfast and to freshen up a bit later. He could only hope.

"I'm sure It'll be wonderful to have them, I was surprised when Mr. Dark agreed to come, though. Our prices are quite standard. We'll make their stay as good as possible." Said Lukais', already over whatever had bothered the siblings. Ishade had gone quiet, he noticed. He was either tired or deep in thought, and Ikanov had left Mitch for a moment while the other addressed Daniel. He'd opened the front door just enough to come tease Rose.

"Kids suck Rose! You'll agree with me in a few weeks. So kiss my A-"
"Language!" Barked Lukais, startling Ishade out if his daydream and making the blonde retreat inside with a mischievous cackle to talk to Mitch.

As the other man talked, digging his own grave, Ikanov's predatory grin only widened. It would've been so easy, that he didn't actually make the joke.

"If you say that stuff, you're going to make me think you want me to tease you, man. Let's go raid the Luseths' bathroom for hair stuff." Was what he ended up saying as he slowly stepped closer to Mitch, and then practically started dragging him along with him towards Ishade's room. His own problem could have been solved with the brush the other already had. But hey, sneaking was fun! And the brothers were going to stay outside for the time being anyway. His half empty mug was left on the table, forgotten and still warm.

"He'S nOt ThAt BaD" Muttered Lukais', outside, openly mocking Ishade's earlier words. His brother snorted in response, and they both ended up laughing.

"Oh, please!" Rose retorted, rolling her eyes at him, "I've got one nephew, Hyacinth is pregnant again, and I've got about a thousand cousins of varying degrees removed from me and probably all the way out t'80th cousin thrice removed. Kids are a blast when you aren't responsible for them."

As they laughed on the porch, a sleek black car pulled up, and parked outside of the house, and for a few moments just sat there, and then the engine turned off, and a very tall, well-dressed, man stepped out of the driver's side door. Rose thought it looked almost as though he unfolded himself as he stood. He carried a wooden box in the crook of his right arm, and then he walked around to the right passenger door and opened it. A young girl with hair of the same hue as the man's stepped out, and took his hand, and then the pair approached the house, but stopped a few feet before the steps.

"Hello," the man said, in a deep, rich baritone voice, as he shifted his gaze between the two brothers, looking only occasionally at Rose, "I am G.M. Dark, and this is my daughter Ivy-Qadira. I apologize if I have parked outside the wrong house. Are either of you two Mister Lukais Luseth?" He had a touch of an accent, but it seemed to have dulled somewhat with age.

His daughter looked up at the house, and around the neighborhood while her father introduced them, and only spoke to say, "Hello," and, "Just 'Ivy' is fine." She smiled a bit at the people on the porch, and then up at the sky, but then focused her attention on her father. Rose thought she looked a bit tall for her age, but considering it seemed her dad was taller than even Luka, it shouldn't be surprising.

Rose greeted them both, but didn't say much more, knowing Luka probably had a spiel prepared.

Both newcomers were stared down by Ishade, who was too tired to even return the girl's smile. Still, he did offer an acknowledgement and a nod of recognition as he remained exactly where he was. Resting his weight on the railing.

Lukais' showed more emotion, he smiled as he saw the car parking. He gave the small family time to come out and greet them until he was absolutely certain it was the Dark. Rose could probably feel his eagerness, as he was a moment away from bouncing on the tips of his toes. He didn't though. What he did was to calmly walk down the few steps that separated the porch from the ground with a radiant smile, and offer the newcomers a hand to shake.

"Welcome to The Boardhouse Mr. Dark and Ivy, I'm Lukais', or Luka. We're very happy to see you, how was your trip?" He'd say to them.

Ishade watched the scene with concealed interest, it had been a while since his brother had been this happy to see new people. Sure, tennants came and went. They were used to them, the worst of the worst Ikanov could chase out. Was it the daughter that had him so eager? Someone to give Mrs. Dunham's kids some company? They were the same age. Was this what prompted Luka's attitude or was his brother being ultimately selfish?. He hoped the kid wouldn't wander into his study on her own. They both looked a lot alike, so they were, without a doubt, related. It was like seeing Abel and his dad, actually, only with a better relationship.

"If he was a dog his tail'd be wagging so hard he'd take off" He whispered to Rose without malice, it was endearing, to see Luka this happy.

By his side, Sophie, a big rottweiler wearing a cutesy pink collar with blue bows as she'd been feeling girly that morning, walked down the steps. Her tail was wagging fiercely, and she approached the two new people with curiosity, panting lightly.

"He certainly wasn't this happy when I moved in," Rose whispered back, quietly watching the scene unfold.

Dark, hesitating, let go of his daughter's hand, and then carefully moved the box he held to his other side so he could firmly shake Luka's hand. His own seemed strange, but it was difficult to place why. They seemed to be almost a slightly different colour than his face, and it felt almost as if there was a film over them, a sensation which was not present when Ivy shook his hand immediately after. She was certainly well-instructed, as her handshake was firm... or at least as firm as a ten-year-old's could be.

"It's nice to meet you," Ivy said politely, while Dark considered what to say next, "May I pet your dog?"

"The road was fine," Dark said at last--although he was careful to not speak over Ivy, "there was minor traffic, but hopefully not more than there typically is," He moved the box again, and stroked Ivy's hair with his left hand, "Right, sweetheart? It was not too bad."

She shrugged, "I don't know, I slept through most of it. You were driving."

"Right, how could I forget," Dark's facial expression didn't change, but he nonetheless seemed amuse by his daughter's remark, "Is this your brother? And...?"

"I'm Rose McGann, it's lovely to meet you, and there are more of us inside... It's a big house."

"Bigger than ours." Ivy replied, momentarily forgetting the dog, and looking up again at the size of the house.

"To be fair, his garden was kind of flooding" Ishade whispered back, in a half baked attempt at comforting Rose.

Lukais' struggled not to frown in surprise or look down at Mr. Dark's hands. Luckily his daughters' were fine. He smiled at her.

"You can pet her, she's Sophie and she's a sweetheart" He told the girl about the dog. The other two talked after, and Luka turned to look at the other two people with them.

"My brother Ishade, and Rose, she's been with us for some time." He explained to them, accepting the big house comment with an amused nod.

"It's quite big, yes. Would you rather we lead you to your room first, or to be shown around the house?. We'll help you with your luggage." Continued Lukais', talking excitedly.

Back