Futuristic tech or Magic?

Tech. Tech is understandable and magic always feels like an easy way out for me. Magic almost always have less limitations (or none), and that's when you can go ham on the OP-o-Meter.

Futuristic technology is definitely the best, given magic is against my beliefs. There are also other reasons that I prefer it though. Technology, you have more room to build whatever device, and there are rules that you can apply to such. So yes, technology is in my opinion the best choice.

Either or, just depends on my mood and the story that GM wants to tell.

However, generally I agree with the previous posters that have invoked Arthur C. Clarke's third law, which suggests that there isn't always a huge difference between futuristic tech and magic.

Upon seeing this thread, only one thing popped up in my mind. Magitek, technology imbued with magical energy. If you can't use your energy to do magic, then why not use it on powering a piece of technology that can do the same exact thing? Basically technology :D

Magic. It tends to give things a far more epic and romantic feel in my experience as opposed to technology which tends to just feel... mundane.

Magic by far. It's nothing against technology; but magic tends to make things far more interesting, romantic, and engaging while tech tends to feel... mundane.

Both. I dabble in both worlds. Heck, who says they can't go together? After all, sometimes its fun just to see how the two get along, or don't get along.

Although both are cool, I’d use magic, because there are no limitations to the powers you have. With technology you’d have to stop advancement at some point, but magic is always changing.

Both. Tech is cool, and magic is make-believe, so making up stories that use a combination of both doesn't limit my characters. A favourite means of getting around from world to world is a kind of handheld computer type device that works as a teleported. The tech is when characters put in codes for where they'd like to go, and the magic takes them there.

As many have mentioned, at one point or another they always seem to go hand in hand. Sufficiently understood magic equals science and vice versa. But ultimately, I have to choose magic, because I find it to be more compelling. While technology is working with what is given, magic is taking what you have and changing what you are given until it flows from you as new rules.

How about both? Haha I honestly saw an anime that had mecha and magic paired perfectly also another great one like that is Broken Blade!

Truthfully it will be hard for me to pick one since I have the imagination for both magic and furtistic lol

Both have some sort of quality about them that makes me intrigued. I'd have to say magic-powered technology is basically the right answer here

I would say magic because is far more flexible and you can get pretty creative, coming up with your fictional magic that is not canon taken from some fandom.

With technology you need a certain amount of technical knowledge in order to make it realistic. Unfortunately I am not a technical expert so even futuristic technology would be difficult for me to describe.

It all depends on the story really. Though I have found myself leaning towards a combination of the two. It's fun when you're able to weave both elements into a setting and then have the flexibility to expand on those ideas as needed. That said, in my own execution of that idea, I have tended to lean towards how magic realism would engage with it.

It all depends on the story really. Though I have found myself leaning towards a combination of the two. It's fun when you're able to weave both elements into a setting and then have the flexibility to expand on those ideas as needed. That said, in my own execution of that idea, I have tended to lean towards how magic realism would engage with it.
I agree with this magic+tech ftw

Back