Going the distance

DatLoser

TW; Violence and some blood. Be careful if reading this post.

Jack's family had been at war with another, almost identical family for as long as anybody in either family could remember.
It was a brutal, all out war for domination of the city that they called home. It wasn't as simple as just giving in and walking away, this was serious, and anybody found to try to end it was subjected to Hell on Earth.

Jack and his friends walked through the vibrant streets of the city, laughing heartily and joking amongst themselves.
"Oh yeah, real funny jackass!" He chortled, jabbing his shoulder into the ribcage of his shorter friend. He then raised his hand into his long brown hair and flicked it to the left, over his bright green eyes.
They continued walking down the road together, laughing and joking away.

They got to the end of the road and Jack squinted, seeing a young woman around his age at the end of the road.
"Who the hell is that?" He asked his friend curiously.
"Shit, fuck. Pretty sure that's their kid..." He whispered, hearing his friends start running away.
"She'll have backup." He said to himself, turning around to leave.

Seraphina and her family had been at war for as long as she could remember, for her it was normal- it was just her life. The family they fought against had control of the part of the city they wanted, and vice-versa. Not that they didn't put up a fight, on the border of the two family's territories was a club, and one she loved to frequent often. Her face was well known, not that she even cared. They rarely came to the club anyways.

Seraphina had left her friends at the club, she needed some fresh air. A walk sounded nice to blur off the alcohol in her system. Even if anyone tried to mess with her, she had her weapon on hand always and knew how to fight. Not that she expected to be attacked. She was standing at the end of the road on her phone, enjoying the feeling of the breeze over her face. And then her phone died, "Shit." Her arms crossed firmly over her chest as she cursed. She was lost, her phone was dead. Seraphina was a little too tipsy to be able to think straight and didn't bother bringing her portable charger.

She could hear feet along the sidewalk further down, turning her head she spotted Jack just as he turned to leave. Maybe he could help her? She turned, lowering her arms and clenching her phone adjusting her bag. She rushed over to Jack, she had no idea who he was. She just knew she needed help. "Excuse me!"

Jack kept his hands plunged deep into his pockets as he walked away from the scene, he hunched over to try to hide his face.
Suddenly he heard clumsy running behind him and heard the voice of Seraphina.
He turned around, a shocked expression plastered on his face as the two of them crossed eyes. He observed her face in silence for a second before managing to utter something out.
"Hi." Was all that escaped his lips.

"You know me already." He told her, taking a quick step back from her, cautious of if they were being watched or not, or if she was faking friendliness.
He looked down at her hand and noticed her phone gripped in her hands.
"You gotta walk away now." He told her, expecting that she had probably already called for people to come help her, but he couldn't be sure she had even seen his face until now.
He closed his eyes and took a deep breath out of frustration.

Seraphina stopped running when he turned around, looking up her green eyes met his for a moment before he spoke. She took a moment to catch her breath, her cheeks were red from both the alcohol and rushing over. When he said she knew him she scrunched up her nose confused.
"What are you even-" She frowned as he took a step back, from what she could tell he was pretty cute. Seraphina was wearing a pair of black shorts and a matching crop top with heels.
He wasn't making any sense to her, what the hell was he talking about? "L-look I just need help. My phone's dead and I'm lost." Seraphina mumbled rubbing her temples. Her words were a bit slurred but enough for him to understand her. She was getting irritated. "Can you help me or not?"

He looked down at her again and rolled his eyes, she was pretty, for definite. Somebody like her could easily be attacked if she really was drunk.
His morals shone through and he grimaced, pulling his phone out of his hoodie pocket and sighing.
"Right. Well. Who can I ring for you?" He whispered, anxiously checking over his shoulder every so often for anybody who was nearby.

"Listen, let's go over here." He said, gripping her wrist and pulling her down a side street.
"Right, we can talk here." He told her, letting go of her wrist and faking a weak smile.

Seraphina lowered her hand from her temples and looked at him as he spoke. Who could she call? Her father would probably kill her if he knew how close she was to enemy territory. There was no guarantee her friends would even answer the phone. "My friends I hop-" But, before she could finish speaking he grabbed her wrist and pulled her along. She stumbled but managed to follow him easily. When he finally let her wrist go she narrowed her eyes at him.
"Don't yank me around like that," Seraphina mumbled rubbing her rise before running a hand through her hair. "Don't think of trying anything bud, just cause you're cute or whatever." She poked his chest as she spoke looking up at him with her free hand on her hip. Sera wasn't to confident on how well she could fight him off in this state, everything was a little blurry.

Jack watched her in almost complete silence as she mumbled.
"Dude, you can't call me cute." He hissed, putting his finger over his lips to hush her. "Plus, I would literally never do that. Who do you think I am?" He asked her.
"Wait, actually answer that question. It'd be good to know if you recognise me, assuming you really are drunk." Jack said, the nervous tone which overtook his voice starting to vanish.

He then handed her his phone, opened onto the call screen.
"Look. Call somebody if you need to. It's on no caller ID so your parents, and most importantly my parents won't find out that we talked like this."
He explained, watching her eyes dance around the area they were stood in.
"You seriously don't know how dangerous this shit is." He warned, biting his lip and wincing at the thought of being seen with her.

Seraphina's eyes moved to stare at his finger and then narrowed at him as he spoke. "I can call whoever I want cute." She mumbled against his finger before moving back. Lowering her arms she squinted at him, he was just a blurry cute blob. "I da' know. You an ex or sumthin'?" She laughed and took the phone. "Maybe yer' one of my dad's goons then?" She held the phone close to her face looking at the numbers as he spoke. "And I'm not drunk, just a little tipsy....and I'm not calling my dad. Tryna get me killed cutie?" Sera hiccuped and typed in a few numbers before he mentioned danger. "What? You scared of me or something? I'm not gonna bite so calm down jeez?" She rolled her eyes and immediately regretted it. She stumbled trying to steady herself and fell towards the boy landing on his chest. She hiccuped again still holding his phone and chuckled, "Well maybe I'm a lil' drunk."

"If you knew who I was you wouldn't be flirting with me." He assured her, deciding to drop the bombshell on her. "I'm literally the son your sworn enemies, we should probably be shooting one another." He laughed, reaching behind his neck and rubbing his nape awkwardly.
"Thank God you're not calling your dad. I'd probably be cut in four pieces..." He whispered. "Not scared of you by the way, idiot." He muttered, feeling her stumble onto him.
"Yeah... No kidding you're drunk." He laughed. "How much have you had to drink today?" He asked her, steadying her balance for her.

Seraphina scoffed when he spilled his identity. "As if your their son. I've heard he was ugly and rugged. And your not ugly or rugged. Yet pretty good looking. So there's no way." She held onto his arm as he helped her steady herself. "maybe like-some shots..and there was this big drink...and some vodka. I had to forget some stupid jerk."
Seraphina laughed and looked at him smiling. "Well even-even if you are their son. Yo-you're no enemy of mine. Dont bunch me up with those fools." Seraphina hiccuped every few sentences before sighing. She was tired, and dizzy. She wanted to lay down,.

"Yeah, well I heard you're ugly and annoying, not one hundred percent true." He said into his hand, trying to censor himself.
"You shouldn't drink so much, I'm not in a place to judge but come on dude..." He laughed, keeping her propped up against his arm. It was effortless to do so, she was quite light, kind of small too.
"You're not exactly my enemy either man. But you surely understand where I'm coming from right?" He quizzed. "Imagine if your old man heard you flirting with me, even just touching my arm. He'd have an aneurysm. So would mine, actually." He chuckled again and rubbed his chin with his free hand.
"You calling, or what?" He then asked.

"Hey I'm a lotta' things but im not ugly....am i?" She glanced up at him innocently. Sera closed her eyes when he laughed. He had a nice laugh, he was warm, much warmer than the cool air around them.
He was right, her dad would have a fit. But what did she care. That over protective brute was in no place to scold her on her actions. Even being helped by this guy would cause her trouble....wasn't that what she wanted anyways?
Sera opened her eyes and glanced at the phone before laughing. "I forgot." She hiccupped and looked up at him. "You-you're not so bad...and your cute too... My dad would have a f-fit if I kissed you."

Last edited:
"I never said you were ugly." He frowned, looking at her eyes and then looking away quickly. "Now I feel bad, don't make me feel bad." He whispered.
She really wasn't ugly, her hair was nice, her tattoos were great and complimented her skin and hair colour and she definitely had a pretty face.
"Call you friends then, if you forgot." He told her, backing away from her a little bit. "You're fine to stand on your own, I'm sure." He said, realising that she was getting kind of close to him.
"Yeah, your dad would have a fit. So would mine..." He laughed, his face becoming a brighter red than before at the mere mention of it.

Seraphina was standing fine on her own, not that she even noticed. She laughed and moved closer to him until she backed him against a wall. This was a bad idea, and that's what made her want to do it. She put her free hand on the side of his head. And held his phone tightly in the other. "Hey. If I'm not ugly prove it." Her face was still red, but this time not only from the alcohol. It wasn't like she'd remember this in the morning anyway. She lifted her eyes so they met his determined. "If I'm not ugly then k-kiss me. A-and if you don't-" What would she do if he didn't kiss her, her sentence trailed off as she thought. "W-well then I'll kiss you anyways!" She looked up at him again.

Jack backed against the wall and smiled a little, watching her face, she stood right in front of him and touched his face, he reached out and touched her face in response, for some reason.
"Damn, she really is beautiful." He thought to himself, not able to see her face real close up.
He heard her demand that he kiss her and laughed nervously, his ears burning up from embarrassment. "Fine. I'll do it." He told her, putting his hand on her cheek and kissing her gently, then pulling away quickly.
"See, y-you're not ugly." He stuttered.

Seraphina went wide-eyed when he said he'd do it. She glanced at his hand on her cheek and turned to look at him just as he kissed her. When he pulled away she was red, her ears were burning. "W-well okay then! Y-your not ugly either s-see!" She moved her hand from his face to grab him by the collar and pull him down. She kissed him closing her eyes for a moment before letting him go after a while. "T-there now were even." She hiccupped again and back up a bit moving his phone so she could type in a number. It took her a moment but after she had finished typing she held the phone towards him. "Here this is my number. Okay cutie?" She looked at him quite embarrassed with herself before turning the phone back and calling one of her friends. She turned away from him moving so she could lean against the wall as she talked her ears still red.

He kissed her back, holding her close while he did it. Admittedly, he was probably getting a little too into it, but he didn't care, it was a spur of the moment thing.
"I-I never said I was ugly." He whispered shyly as she put her number in his phone. He held his phone in awe and stared at her number in there.
"D-Did you... Wanna ring somebody?" He asked, saving her number and laughing a little, trying to make things just a little bit less awkward.
He was still confused. Did this woman literally just pick him up? That had never happened to him before, so needless to say he was sort of confused.

Seraphina hung up the phone and sighed, she hiccuped again and turned to him. She held the phone out for him to take. "My friend will be h-here in a bit. But, is it okay for me to ask you to stay until she comes" Sera held her arm, the alcohol was making her feel awkward. Any other time she would have demanded him to stay. Hell, she would have kissed him more just because she felt like it. "I'm Seraphina by the way. But... I think you knew that." She laughed and leaned against the wall beside him. She shivered as the wind passed over them, right now she could really use some sleep.

He took his phone back from her and tucked it away into his pocket.
"That's fine man, I'll wait for your friend to get close and then I'll leave. I'm not sure I wanna be around when your friend arrives." He told her, looking down at her now.
"I know you're Seraphina, I'm just surprised you don't know who I am. I'm Jack." He told her, seeing her shiver in the cold wind.
"Do you... Want my hoodie?" He asked, grabbing the bottom of it and preparing to lift it up.

"Jack?" Seraphina thought for a moment, who did she know named jack. "I'll remember who you are later." Her mind was a haze with all the alcohol in her system. She brought her arms around herself as the wind passed. When he offered his hoodie she turned to him and chuckled. "Wouldn't you be cold then?.....I'll take it but you better text me so I can bring it back." She looked at the bottom of his hoodie and then back at him smiling.

Back