New User Greetings

Tempest

self-proclaimed pokey rabbit
Hey. Hi. How's it going.

I am exceedingly awkward, but I'm very determined to find new roleplay partners. Despite that, though, I'd like to think that I'm pretty approachable!

So, here I am, doing a brief introduction. You can call me Tempest.

I used to do a lot of writing when I was younger, but my skills could definitely use some polishing up, so I decided to venture onto a roleplaying site, and see if I can't get in some practice and what not. I used to be really picky about being advanced (like, a couple paragraphs was my requirement for a partner), but now I have pretty general taste when it comes to writing, as long as there's substance, detail, and it isn't like... two sentences long, and impossible to comprehend.

I also suck at introductions, because I get pretty laser focused on writing (my apologies). However, I'm sure it will be nice to make friends, and meet people here.

Last edited:
Salutations, Tempest! We seem to have the same problem with awkwardness. It's nice seeing someone else out there when your RL friends have the social capacity of a god.

Your introduction seems just fine. There's literally only one thing that seems off to me: as far as I can tell, roleplaying "site" is used instead of "sight". Minor details aside, you seem great. Let's hope you have a good time here.

Ah! I should probably fix that. Thank you.

I have very few friends outside of my girlfriend (acquaintances, really) because I am less than sterling company, but I know what you mean. My family is composed of social butterflies, always having parties and what not while I make up excuses about being sick to avoid going out. Aha.

Anyways, thank you for saying hi! I hope I have a good time here as well!

It's fine. It wasn't that rude. You're lucky you can make excuses; they drag me out anyway. And by "sight", I meant I noticed something in your fourth paragraph. To quote: "so I decided to venture onto a roleplaying sight". Sorry if I sounded rude this time. It's just a problem when your job is to proofread people's reports.

I went back and reread what I posted and noticed my mistake. I misinterpreted what you had originally said, my bad! Thank you for catching that.

Ah, the perks of living alone. No one can force you out of your flat but the fire department!

Fire department? Did you leave the stove on or something?

(If that was a joke, ignore this message. I can't tell very easily.)

It was a joke, but I had to get a remodel last year thanks to some candles I forgot to blow out before I fell asleep.

Ouch.

Hey, have you been approved yet? If not, do you want to make an RP when we're both approved? I have this idea hopping around in my head, but I can't post anything yet on the roleplay forums. To be honest, the thing's only half-formed, but it's in the epic fantasy genre and involves -as far as I can tell- a thief, a mage, and a fighter on a grand and glorious quest to save the world. Or something. It's either that or a country. It sounds a bit cliche, but I hope that's fine.

Or, if you don't like it, you can make a new plot. Or just not roleplay. I'm fine with anything.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I have a deep love for all things fantasy, and saving the world from evil (even though I have a tendency for falling for the antagonist of just about everything). I would definitely be up for that.

Ah! Such torture!

My girlfriend says I am naturally attracted to the most disturbed, because I, myself, am nuts.

I can't see that. It's more of a sick wish to be as charismatic and smooth as they are combined with genuine admiration and some feeling that they're the forbidden fruit you can't touch. I researched on that. On my current book I'm trying to figure out how to break that convention. I'm still at the second chapter, though, so my villain isn't doing too well yet.

(Lucky bastard; you have a girlfriend! How do you get one?)

break the convention of a charismatic and smooth villain?
ehe.
i'm currently writing something called heroes, and it's about a couple of boys growing up in a trailer park. my "villains" are a drunken father, a neglectful mother, and an older bully. it's kind of cathartic to write, actually.

i met her in seventh grade and she's been crushing on me since. we've been dating for about a year and a half now, and she somehow hasn't realized that i am no prize.

Lies, all of it. She wouldn't have stayed with you if you weren't in some way.

I haven't thought of a title yet. My affinity for twisting tropes has led to having a fourteen-year old girl slowly be corrupted by a genuinely well-meaning parental figure. She falls pretty quick, considering; it's mostly because her sense of "morally good" and "morally bad" are skewed from basically a lifetime of neglect. I like writing it. My art for the story, though, needs genuine work. It doesn't look like Hitoshizuku-P's song PVs at all, and that's the style I was aiming for with those pieces.

i
cannot draw
for the life of me
my story will have no illustrations XD

but that sounds pretty interesting, actually. probably more interesting than the off-brand slice of life stuff i'm writing, but i've always liked stuff like the perks of being a wallflower and stuff, and what i'm writing has a similar feel to that, i guess.

no, i try to be good to her. i have a terrible tendency to be a total jerk when i don't know how to handle something and i have been working very hard on not doing that, and i swear to you, she is a saint for having so much patience with me. i'm a very lucky man.

You're trying. 'S a good quality.

To be honest, I can't write slice of life for shit. It'd be all quiet and introspective. I can't pull that off without days of work on a single scene. And the genre doesn't matter when it comes to how interesting you can make it. Consider this: what's more interesting to you, a story of some cliche heroes saving the world or a sweeter romance story about people getting past difficulties and learning to love? One might seem more interesting personally, but anything can be made to work. It's all in the writing.

This took me too much time to learn. An entire year, in fact, of all my little stories being ripoffs of each other. People like my usual genre of urban fantasy because it's someone who's as relatable as just about anyone on the street accomplishing great things because they changed to. Your slice of life story is interesting because it's an utterly familiar and-or relatable problem. It all depends on how this is pulled off.

i don't mind at all. i appreciate people's perspectives.

and i love really introspective shit for some reason. i like stuff that makes you think, and feel, and twists your stomach in all the right ways. that's my favourite kind of thing to read. i'm a masochist. i submit myself to the most depressing literature that i can find and let it absolutely murder my heart, and i love it because i'm weird like that i guess.

my writing isn't like that, but i tend to make it gritty. my "slice of life" is really not very nice. sam and patrick are growing up in poor surroundings, and facing different sorts of home abuse, and it's all around a rough situation for them, but they kind of have their own little world when they're together, and it's sweet in all sorts of sad ways.

I can't stomach the stuff you seem to like. It's why I have a problem writing introspective scenes. The only way I can really push myself to write them is if I can make them an exploration of the character's personality and (in my villainous protagonist Ellie's case) skewed or limited point of view. I hate when stories make me cry. I'm more of a wannabe sadist.

I think that's partially why so much crappy cliche fantasy exists. Humans don't seem to like being sad and we can't write it very well without skill, talent, or expertise. You're pretty good if you can get the emotional responses right. It's something to keep in mind when the aliens come by. Maybe human psychological reactions are shared by them, too.

Back