New User Greetings

Also, Sam and Patrick? Shit, my names don't go together nearly as well. Exhibit A: Ellie's misguiding parental figure's name is literally Tawi-da. Dear Lord. How do you get a naming theme right?

ah. i have a certain love for things that make my heart ache. haven't the faintest idea why.

and yes. make the aliens sobbbb *rubs hands together and smiles diabolically*

as for naming my characters... i don't know. i let characters name themselves...
sam is... he tries to be the tough guy, really tries. he's protective of brandi, who he's known since childhood, and will keep her out of trouble, as well as keep patrick out of trouble, but he runs from confrontation, and he's actually pretty soft and scared. his parents have basically made it impossible for sam to learn how to stand up for himself or for anyone else, because his dad,, jack, beats his wife, and sam used to try to step in, and he'd just get beat himself. katharine, his mother, always tells him to stand down when jack comes home drunk, or angry. she, herself, is a very strong woman, and she's working to get herself and sam the hell away from jack, but she doesn't want to see her baby get hurt. to me, sam is the only name that could work for his character (and i've tried other names, they just didn't fit him). same goes for patrick, it's the only name that could work.

You're lucky you can find the right one. I had to corrupt so many words just to come up with a working one for Tawi-da.

Maybe it's a symbol of what he is; a corrupted thing that still sounds new and a little cold, but can easily be made something familiar.

I think that's just me, though.

because the name works well with that back story XD
patrick's had a shitty childhood as well.
they both have.

i have no idea what tawi-da means, but it sounds pretty cool.

It's a corruption of "diwata", a Filipino word meaning "fairy". Sorry for answering so late; I had to go to someone else's house for dinner.

Also, when I think Patrick, I usually think Spongebob. It's not a name commonly associated with bad pasts, I think. It works pretty well, though, so that's a point to you.

ah, no sweat.
that's a pretty cool choice for a name. my names are always very typical and boring.
my step mom is from the philippines.

patrick is a little bit like a feral dog. but he's also loyal as hell, and would never bite the hand that feeds him. for some reason, the name fits.

Your names work pretty well for the setting you're implying. Naming a probably relatable or sympathetic abused kid Aerith or Diaval isn't going to seem right in most circumstances. Either way, your story seems pretty interesting. I'd ask for details if they didn't give me depression.

I'm fully from the Philippines. That's a bit of why Tawi-da is how he is now. I used some of our myths and twisted details.

currently, the worst thing that has happened was patrick going to the hospital on independence day because that bully (who's name is geoff) and his friends broke his leg, but patrick is a really strong kid (not physically, but in other ways), and he's always pretty upbeat despite his terrible situation. sam is more down-trodden and already really cynical for his age (which is thirteen).
i just started writing this particular story last week. i've got it all fleshed out in my head, and the more depressing shit is yet to come.

my dad was in the philipines in january, but i've never been. i, unfortunately, know very little about filipino mythology. ehe.

I want to gut the bullies already. By your description, his life is bad enough. I worry about his parents' and brother's reactions.

I don't know much about the mythology either. It turns out that apparently our fairies don't have pointy ears and just look like tall human beings with bird wings and no folds on their skin like the kind on knees and elbows. I had to edit that a lot for my Tawi.

patrick's mom is just mad that he racked up hospital bills (sam's the one with the abusive father, patrick has a neglectful mother that leaves him and his older brother waylon to fend for themselves).

i've always imagined fairies as kind of evil looking. i don't know why. dark wings, grey skin, vicious teeth, red eyes. that sort of thing.

Sorry. I misread stuff. I beg forgiveness.

Alas, that's how fairies originally were. Not exactly with the wings, but most of it's right. They snatched newborns away in the night and ate them.

no need to beg. i'm pretty easy going when i get over the whole "my god why am i so awkward" thing. hehe.

they're like lilith XD

What genre would you hate writing? I've already explained my dislike of creating slice of life, but most of the stuff involving romance is also way out of my comfort zone. Literally everyone I've tried to date left the goddamn country.

There's this funny moment at school where I told my friend's friend that and he asked me out. It turns out he wanted to go to Germany.

i don't really dislike any particular genre.
i'm not great at, like, scary stuff (i can never get the right imagery, it's really difficult for me), but nothing is really out of my comfort zone, per say.

Fuck, the scary things. I forgot about that.

Have you seen Changing Channels? My internet cut off before I could get past the intro.

Back