GREETINGS!

Nice to have you here! I too am waiting in approval limbo. Must admit not much experience in most of those genres, but I do like stories with interesting aliens! I personally am a fan of the Tines from A Fire Upon the Deep.

Ayy, Zat! Hiii! We're both in approval hell, huh? XD I've never heard of Tines from A Fire Upon the Deep though. What's it about?

Reactions: Zat
Ayy, Zat! Hiii! We're both in approval hell, huh? XD I've never heard of Tines from A Fire Upon the Deep though. What's it about?

It's kinda hard to explain, the book is pretty complicated, but at its core, it's a space opera where the main characters are fighting to stop an intergalactic evil AI from killing everything.

The Tines are basically a race of miniature hiveminds, each "person" is a small pack of lupine-looking creatures that essentially think as one. They have an organ on their heads (called a tympana) that essentially uses ultrasonic sound to communicate their brainwaves with the other parts of the pack, allowing them to think together and become a person.

No one part is smart enough to be a person by itself, but together they're as smart as any human. The descriptions of how they go about doing stuff, and the consequences of how their consciousness works, and how it affects their culture is really awesome.
(The Tines essentially have a medieval culture, which gets complicated when some humans land and end up roping them into helping save the universe. There's lots of factions and intrigue and everything. The book is complicated.)

Space opera. That's a new one for me. XD But that does sound pretty cool! I'll have to check it out at some point if I can'.

Back