When Two is One Grounds Residential

ChelonianCommander

Strength of Steel, Will of Iron
The Grounds Residential holds no private housing of any sort as the need for cheap housing has created the demand for large apartment complexes where on average 45 families reside, where the buildings are only build to hold 35. The apartments are usually small, dingy and worn but are stable enough to house people and for many Grounders that is more then enough.

A new day arrives as the sun rises above the towering smokestacks of the factories. People who make their living literally waking up other people to make sure the workers won't miss work. They leave as quickly as they arrive. The Grounders don't get much daily information as the Commons or Royals, but what some do know is that a Foreman by the name of Johnathan Baker and a Drowned Crew dancer named Mary Callai went missing about a week ago. Now the Guard is a bit riled up, or at least more then usual. Still despite the increased patrols and random shakedowns, the Guardsmen still didn't do much to solve the problem. Only add to the difficulties of the Grounders.

Karsin sat on the edge of his worn down bed, it’s springs creeping and moaning as he shifted around in an attempt to get comfortable. Once again he had been forced to stay alone in their sad excuse for a home while his father went out to work, and though he usually didn’t mind Karsin had become rather bored. His elemental, Liz, was resting on his shoulder as Karsin slowly wiggles away at a small chunk of wood in his hand. He had been working on this particular figure for a good while now andthough he still wasn’t sure what it was it seemed to be taking shape quiet nicely. Setting down the small carving along with his knife Karsin stretched his arms up in the air letting out a yawn, only to get a Yelp from Liz as he was thrown from Karsin’s shoulder. “Oh! Sorry Liz!” Karsin exclaimed bending down and cupping his hands for Liz to climb into. Liz scurried up Karsin’s arm this time resting a top his head, his steam soaking Karsin’s hair. Slowly standing back up he reached into his pocket pulling out the spare keys to the house and feeling them in his hand, ‘his father wouldn’t mind if he went out for a bit right?’ Karsin thought gripping the keys tightly before creeping out the front door and locking it behind him. ((This a good first post?))

As the sun’s rays pierced the canopy of intermeshed factories and apartment complexes Lucius suddenly remembered how beautiful the Grounds District was- in a twisted, grotesque type of way. The way the sunlight was refracted off of the grimy apartment windows, the way the wind whistled and howled like a banshee through the abandoned houses. Corrupted beauty was a trademark of the Grounds Sector.

Despite his time living here up until six years ago Lucius had never quite gotten used to the sounds. The whirring off machinery, the drone of workers engaged in manual labor, the tense manner in which grounders speak to one another. These sounds were not the soothing sounds of the Royal Sector or even the common hum-drum of the Common Sector. These hammered the ear drums, throwing any unsuspecting victim into a state of disorientation amidst the frenzy of grounders scurrying to strenuous jobs, rickety homes, or just wandering aimlessly for lack of a better means of passing the time.

Lucius strolled down the street, his posture tense and alert. In place of his orange Loccillos jacket he wore a black trench coat which covered a matching waistcoat and a white shirt. Black slacks led to a pair of polished black shoes along with dark-rimmed sunglasses topped by a black fedora. Approaching the closest apartment complex he paused at the door to collect his thoughts before raising his fist to rap on the door. However, to his surprise, the door flung open as his hand was closing in forcing him to take a measured step backward. Collecting himself once more he straightened his sleeves and purses his lips.
“Good day, sir,” he extended a gloved hand. “Lucius Epillio, private eye. Mind if I ask you a few questions?”

@Emory
Karsin jumped back startled by the sudden sound of a voice and the appearance of a man right outside his door. Liz was flung from his head, evaporating into the air before reappearing on his foot. Karsin was in no way dressed nicely as he was wearing a worn down and tattered pair of overalls of a light brown colour, his once nice red dress shirt now destroyed by dirt and other stains, in fact the only nice thing about his entire outfit was the blue and green striped bandana he wore on his head, his messy copper hair just barely peeking out from under it. Quickly regaining himself Karsin gave the man a friendly smile and graciously accepted their gloved hand with his own gloved hand, though their fancy glove was considerably nicer than his leather ones. “The name’s Karsin, Karsin Turgrenta, and I wouldn’t mind at all. In fact I was dying for some company anyway” Karsin replied stepping aside and giving a lazy wave towards the inside of his house, gesturing for the man to follow him inside. Without even waiting for them to follow Karsin briskly started towards the sturdy wooden table near the corner of the room that was covered in wooden figures and other carvings of all shape and sizes, and without a second though Karsin swept them off the table hardly flinching as they clattered to the floor. “Come on in” he invited warmly as he pulled out another chair for his guest.

Last edited:
Lucius’ stomach lurched. The man’s friendliness was sickening, but thankfully not contagious. He grasped Karsin’s hand firmly before abruptly shoving his hands deep into his coat pockets. He simply nodded at the man’s invitation and briskly stepped into the house. Immediately, he was smacked by a surge of smell, one of wood chips and saw dust. The early sunlight caught onto each particle of dust that hung in the air, swelling and swirling with each breath he took. The place wasn’t lavish, but Lucius had seen worse. Not so long ago he’d lived in worse. Yet when he had lived in the Grounds District he’d have never been so gracious to someone he didn’t know. You could never be too trusting- not here. Most grounders weren’t this pleasant to a commoner and they frequently assaulted him with silent threats and piercing gazes.

Perhaps his current choose of attire was too conspicuous but he wasn’t going for subtlety. He needed to be authoritative. He took a seat at the wooden table, the chair closest to the door, and idly wiped a crease from his pant leg. The chair was firm and inflexible, but that was of no concern to him. He sat upright maintaining a position of rigidity. Clearing his throat he began his inquisition.

“So Mr. Turgrenta. The reason I’m here today is-“ His hands were intermeshed to form a rough X shape on the table in front of him. “-to ascertain the cause behind the recent disappearances of two individuals-“ He drew a tiny notebook from a pocket within his jacket and flipped to a page and read aloud. “-one Johnathan Baker and one Mary Callai. Do those names mean anything to you?” His voice was blatant and inquisitive, and his incisive eyes managed to encompass Karsin along with the entire room.

@Emory
Karsin plopped himself down on a chair beside Mr.Lucius, his body visibly relaxed in contrast to his guest’s obvious displeasure at the whole situation. Softly stroking Liz who at the moment had crawled into his arms Karsin thought for a moment trying to put faces to the name’s, “I think I know Mary, but I haven’t seen her around in a couple of days” he mused his face taking on a more concerned look. “Is...Is she alright?” He asked out of the blue his gaze now turning towards the man in the chair beside him, as if daring the man to tell him she wasn’t.

Last edited:
“You haven’t heard.” This was a statement, not a question. “She’s gone missing. Along with the other gentleman, Mr. Baker.” There was an evident lack of emotion in the words that should not have been devoid of empathy, or even sympathy. It was all business for Lucius and he would treat it as such. He stroked the curls of his ginger beard and sighed. “Try to remember. Can you point me in the right direction, do you know where she resided or even places she frequented?” He made no effort to turn towards Karsin as he addressed the man, his gaze shifting around every nook and cranny of the room. “And the man? Is there anything you can give me regarding either of these individuals?” his tone on the verge of pushy.

Setting down Liz, Karsin propped his elbows on the table resting his head on it as he thought. “Well I know Mary worked in the Drowned Crew, I used to go there a lot” he replied his tone now becoming more serious yet still managing to sound friendly and casual. “As for Johnathan Baker, I don’t think I have heard of him, sorry” He sighed his voice becoming softer, “I do hope they are alright, some pretty nasty stuff happens around here.” It was quite surprising how fast Karsin’s mood changed as in a matter of moments he seemed much glummer and a lot less like the overally friendly guy he had been mere seconds ago. Though this didn’t last long as karsin’s face lit up, an idea forming. “Hey why don’t I take you to the Drowned Crew? I am positive some of the patrons there can tell you more.” He suggested his cheery grin returning. Liz who had been eyeing Lucius waryly since the moment he had entered the threshold began to slowly creep out of Karsin’s Overall pocket where he had been hiding, determined to examin this new person from closer up.

Last edited:
Lucius’ stomach did a flip, or rather a series of flips, backflips, and somersaults. The idea of spending any unnecessary time on this grounder was nauseating, especially with that obnoxious grin of his. What the hell was he so happy for? Nevertheless, he was able to maintain his composure and presented what he felt was a worthy attempt at a poker face. His features were naturally stern so it came quite easily to him.

He reined in every instinct to throttle this guy, reminding himself that this man was the only lead he’d gotten thus far. Recognizing what was at stake here he forced an uneasy, and certainly unnatural, smile and nodded. “Very well.” He rose from his chair and inclined his head towards the door. “Shall we?”

@Emory
Despite Karsin’s general air of ignorance he could tell that Lucius really didn’t like him though why he had no idea. ‘Maybe I am to overwhelming, I do that sometimes’ he thought as he tried to make his smile look less, enthusiastic, but only managed to make it look like an awkward grin. “Certainly” he replied standing up from his own chair his hands falling to his pockets, but he froze as they reached them feeling only empty space. His eyes quickly scanned the area only to spot Liz hesitanting near Lucius’s foot most likely trying to decide whether to climb up or not. He gave his guest an apologetic smile before quickly striding over to the door, hoping that his curious elemental would follow him and give up exploring their guest.

Last edited:
Following Karsin’s gaze Lucius spotted the gecko seemingly investigating his foot. The reptile appeared as though it were preparing to climb up his leg, something he did not care to experience. Suddenly, a high pitched bark, similar to a scream, sounded from the floor just behind Karsin’s foot. Lucius instantly recognized the sound of his elemental, a red fox with a coat of scarlet fur that shimmered with flames. Asher released another bark followed by a series of yaps. His body was tense, his ears perked upright, and his fangs baring at the gecko. Despite considering for a moment the possibility of letting Asher hunt for his lunch for a change, Lucius dropped to one knee and called to his companion. “Here Ash. Easy boy. Can’t go eating everything that approaches me now can you?” The fox tilted its head then bounded towards Lucius’ leg, brushing his head along the elongated limb.
Turning to Karsin, Lucius returned to his feet and brushed his pant leg. “Don’t worry,” he assured him. “Ash is just protective.” With that he said no more and made to follow his host towards the door.

Last edited:
At the sound of a bark Liz tensed up along with Karsin. Suddenly without warning Liz evaporated into the air reforming inside Karsin’s pocket, “It is alright, Liz is a bit to curious for his own good” he chuckled eyes moving away from them and instead to the door, and reaching into his other pocket he pulled out a small folded piece of paper that read “I have gone out, be back later love Karsin”. He had several of these little notes in his pocket from one night he had been really bored. Setting the note down on a stool beside the door he opened it up, “come on” he beckoned cheerfully.

Lucius seemed to perk up at Karsin’s increased urgency. Stepping out onto the sidewalk he matched Karsin’s pace as he walked alongside the younger man. He thought back to Karsin’s mention of the Drowned Crew, a local pub that Lucius had frequented quite often during his time living in the Grounds District. Reminiscing now, he remembered running jobs for a man who worked there. Perhaps returning to the Drowned Crew now after all these years wouldn’t revive the fondest of memories.

As they continued along the sidewalk Lucius noticed Ash trailing close behind. His flaming coat shimmered as he pattered along the various alleyways and gutters. The sun seemed higher than it had been just moments ago with streaks of sunlight arching over the factories and apartment complexes that seemed permanently etched into the skyline. Even so, it seemed so far away. How cruel it was to appear so close yet so far out of reach. Lucius’ eyes observed the entire surrounding area, darting from scene to scene, constantly on guard for anything out of the ordinary. This was how he lived; There were no friends, only suspects.

Karsin had stayed completely silent through out the walk his hands shoved deep into his pocket’s his smile almost nonexistent. His eyes slowly drifted around the murky alley’s, the almost empty streets, and the factories pumping out smog and other things in the distance, the overall gloom almost consuming him. As they continued to walk his pace began to slow, his worn down boots shuffling on the ground. A chilly breeze blew against them just increasing the overall gloom, though he turned over to Lucius who was also examining the area with a much sterner look, and Karsin gave him a friendly grin. ‘No need to bring him down with me’ he thought as he felt Liz rub against his hand in his pocket, and glancing up at the dim sun he felt a little better.

@Emory
After a long uneventful walk the two men had finally reached the Grounds residential where the two had first met, and climbing up the stairs two at a time Karsin briskly rapped his knuckles against the door. Lucius had been lagging behind the younger man and from what Karsin could tell, he didn’t seem to eager to meet his father. Though before he could think more on the subject the door was flung open revealing the man that was Karsin’s father. His father unlike Karsin was a very stout man, about 5’7, his waistline greatly exceeding that of an ordinary Grounder. His muscles bulged on his chest from underneath his worn black turtle neck, along with his bulky arms. This man looked strong enough to wrestle a bear and win, though his eyes were neither strict nor mean. In fact other than his body’s build he looked to be a rather friendly man, his pine green eyes soft and welcoming. A majority of his face was covered by a scraggly beard which was more stubble than it was beard , and his hair was a dark copper brown colour very similar to his sons. The man’s hands were calloused from years of working wood, though unlike his son he did not wear gloves. The rest of his outfit consisted of a short tan vest, it’s pockets brimming with carving knifes. A pair of dark green pants, and black pair of dress shoes that looked to have been recently polished. “Ah you’re finally home Karsin! You need to be more specific in your notes!” The man spoke his voice gruff as his tone was accusing, though he was obviously concerned for his son’s safety. At this moment Karsin’s father spotted Lucius hovering behind Karsin and gently pushing his son aside he stepped forward to examine him. “And who might you be?” He asked his voice friendly enough though his posture suggested he wasn’t afraid to get rough with the man if need be.

Last edited:
Lucius stepped forward toward the shorter, stouter man and shot a hand in his direction. “Lucius Epillio, private eye.” His expression was stern, but not aggressive, reflecting his no-nonsense attitude. “Your son here’s been helping me navigate the Grounds District; I don’t get around here that often so I’m unfortunately quite unfamiliar. His ginger hair, exposed as he removed his fedora, was rustled a tad by the wind blowing from the open door. His jaw, with a full beard of the same hue, was set expressionless as he gazed into the man’s eyes, gauging the elder man’s character.

“Dawson, Dawson Turgrenta. It is nice to see Karsin had been making more friends.” He said glancing over at Karsin to check his reaction to him using the word “Friend”. Karsin’s smile seemed to get a little brighter as his father referred to Lucius as a friend, and Dawson spotting this turned back to Lucius giving an approving nod. “Alright, You seem to be a fine fellow. Though enough with the introductions, I assume you want something Karsin?” Dawson said his smile turning into a knowing smirk as Karsin glanced away guiltily. “Well I was hoping...That is you see...I was wondering if...” Karsin said floundering for the right words, “I was hoping I could stay out past curfew and help out Lucius some more.” He finally blurted out, his body tensing as he waited for rejection. Dawson once again smirked at his son’s strange behaviour before giving a shrug, “Go ahead.” He said chuckling as Karsin gave him a confused look, and turning towards Lucius he gave the man a stern look. “You seem a decent enough fellow, but I expect you to bring my son back before mid night.” He said sternly.

A twinge of guilt bit into Lucius’ chest. This part of the investigation was his idea and if it went south the blame was on his head. It wasn’t just a matter of getting Karsin home on time, but returning him to his father alive and in one piece. More than that Karsin was, at this point, surely Lucius’ friend and he felt responsible for keeping him safe, even when his plans put the boy in harm’s way. Looking down at the reflecting light in his shoes he found it difficult to look Dawson in the eyes. Regardless, he forced himself to do so and solemnly matched the man’s gaze. “You have me word,” he promised before his tongue became too dry to speak.

Dawson gave a hearty grin and before they could set off he quickly stepped inside saying, “Hold on you two, neither of you have had lunch I bet”. Dawson said with a chuckle before stepping inside the house. Karsin quickly turned around to face Lucius and with an expectant look asked, “Well what do you think of my father?”

Back