Haunted Hotel

BrookeDi

Benefactor
The aptly named Haunted Hotel is nestled between our world and worlds, universes, and galaxies beyond our comprehension. Sometimes seen as purgatory, it's the only building in this in-between place and hosts guests of all varieties, from all walks of life. This middle ground acts like an intersection, a travel point between one world and the next.

The Hotel itself is six stories, with thirty rooms on each floor. They are equipped to handles all kinds of guests and their often eccentric needs. The Hotel is run by Bob Harman and the front desk is manned by teenager Chris Sims, but he's been around for years never aging. The front desk is situated just to the right of the hotel's dining room and this is where Chris sits now. He's got a magazine open in front of him, flipping through the pages idly. Whether or not he's actually paying any attention to the words on the page is impossible to tell.

Larry Dougherty sits alone in the lobby, not sure why he’s this anxious. His memory isn’t what it used to be, but never quite to the point that he questions why he’s there. Absentmindedly, he fiddled with the button on his right cuff, glancing around. The hotel isn’t supposed to be this empty, he thinks.

Right?

Larry coughs absentmindedly, a nervous habit that he hasn’t been able to shake, even when he doesn’t need to breathe. More and more, he’s starting to feel like part of the background here at this hotel.

Through the gates of the inter-dimensional hotel lobby entered a rather strange beast, seeming a hybrid between a deer and a lioness. The beast stepped in and shook, as if getting rid of excess something, something that was invisible to the eye.

After a couple of seconds, it shook its tail from side to side in annoyance and the next time anyone looked towards them, as they blinked, they wouldn't see a hybrid beast anymore.

A middle aged man stood in front of their eyes instead. He would would simply eye anyone present, acknowledging them with a nod of the head and then walk towards the front desk. He was a usual client there, often travelling between realities.

Larry blinked at the figure stalking through the lobby. He’d seen the transformations before, but that did little to put his mind at ease. The young ghost stood, gathering his coat and his briefcase, two items that had been by his side since shortly before he’d died, and moved through the lobby towards the library. Seemed it was the only place things were happening, around here. “Hello?” Larry called out, a bit too quiet to really get anyone’s attention, but caution was always a good thing when that...thing was around.

Larry blinked. She looked normal. Couldn’t be the case, right? “Hi, Larry” he introduced himself. “Pleasure.”

The ghost paused for a moment, before taking it in stride. “That’s, uh, fair. Can I ask what brings you here?”

Larry swallowed hard. That’d do it. And she looked so young, too. “I’m sorry to hear that,” he said quietly. If there was one thing he knew, that was it. “Do you want to talk about it, or would you rather I leave it alone?”

Gwen said, "My mom very nice and friendly towards everyone. She and my dad encouraged me to do the right thing. Sadly, my parents passed away when I was 15."

“Can I ask what happened? I mean, forgive me if this is overstepping my bounds, but you seem almost... ok with it.” Larry wasn’t positive how to continue.

Larry swallowed again. How to breach this subject? “I, uh, don’t mean to tell you how to live your life, but this place might not be the best place for you. If that makes sense.” No matter her circumstances, it’d be far better if a mortal human got out before things got too strange.

Larry froze. “Do you mean to say that...you understand what this place is?” And she wanted to stay? Why?

“And you’re willing to put everything you know behind you? Just like that?” Could he even let her do that? She was about to lose so much.

Back