New User Hello There!

I came across this site while trawling through another one that honestly looked like it was going to die soon... :/

Anyways, introductions.

I'm currently working towards a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, though I've written a few open source programs that are available online. For most programming things, I use the name Shadow53; for this site, I thought I'd change things up a little bit (I did say "a little").

My ex-girlfriend (still good friend) was the one to introduce me to roleplaying, and she's the only person I've successfully roleplayed with. Other people I've tried to get to join me were either incompatible or wouldn't respond. With my one successful roleplaying partner busy with school elsewhere, I've been looking around for a site I can roleplay on that would be supportive and full of people who put effort into their responses.

The username actually comes from a character from my longest-running roleplay, who may make an appearance in roleplays I do here, if he applies.

Stories I've taken part in tend to be more fantastic than realistic, though I prefer - even expect - some level of inner consistency in the fantastic. That means magic systems and users have (relatively) consistent strengths and weaknesses. I've done superhero roleplays, classic fantasy, steampunk (not as familiar with that, so I tend to think of what might happen in the Dishonored world), that sort of thing. I'm open to other kinds of stories as well, as a chance to stretch my creative side a bit.

A word of caution: I have been known to occasionally write upsetting (to plot and writer) twists and even kill off characters if I think it appropriate. On rare occasions the twists build themselves up without me realizing what's happening until the tipping point. It's fun when that happens.

As far as roleplaying style, I'm used to narrating in past tense, third-person limited POV, with breaks into third-person omniscient as a way of conveying relevant information to my roleplay partner through the narrative. I find that I will unconsciously take turns with a roleplaying partner for driving plot, so sometimes my characters end up being more reactionary to the events occurring around them while I let my partner describe the consequences of those actions. It's mostly me trying to not get in the way of a plot that I don't understand but take interest in. I prefer at least a paragraph (3+ sentences) per response, which forces a bit of world/character building while dialog happens.

One more note: the website guide mentions embedding Google docs for collaborative editing. I avoid using Google for privacy reasons, so if potential roleplay partners would be willing to work around that, that would be great.

That's quite the introduction. I haven't seen one that long in a while. Welcome and I think you'll find plenty of role players here that would meet your specifications. There are several that enjoy a more fantasy setting. Have you ever tried writing fandoms? Do you like to write bad guys?

On a side note, it sounds like you've taken some time digging around on the site and you've already found a few things. More than likely you've already read about the approval process. I'll be looking forward to seeing you around and let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, and welcome! Have you considered trying a small group RP? From your intro it looks like you're used to a 1x1 setting. Just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there. Anywho, also dropping by to show another friendly face if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. :>

Ooh, what a detailed intro. I love it! I'm sure you'll feel right at home here on STC, and I don't think embedding with Google is a very big habit so that should be okay.

That's quite the introduction. I haven't seen one that long in a while. Welcome and I think you'll find plenty of role players here that would meet your specifications. There are several that enjoy a more fantasy setting. Have you ever tried writing fandoms? Do you like to write bad guys?

On a side note, it sounds like you've taken some time digging around on the site and you've already found a few things. More than likely you've already read about the approval process. I'll be looking forward to seeing you around and let me know if you have any questions.

I've actually done a little bit of writing on FanFiction.net, though fandom writing is a bit more difficult because I feel the need to accurately capture the source material. I had a story on FF.net called Fablehaven Reads Fablehaven, which was fun to write but will probably never be updated. I was manually typing each chapter of the book and having the characters react in real time. Lots of fun to imagine, but a pain on the wrists while copying the text. I've also got a Nightwing fanfic in progress, though it's on hiatus right now while I try to figure out where the heck the plot is going.

Oh, do I enjoy writing bad guys! For a bit of context, the superhero roleplays I've done all took place in the same universe, but were sort of like comic book stories, where the Avengers have a separate comic from the X-Men and Spiderman has a standalone comic, but the characters sometimes interact with each other. In most of those roleplays, I played the major villains. The biggest villain - the Joker to my main hero's Batman, if you will - was a man named Joshua who went to church and was one of the best Christians ever at church, but spent the rest of the week as Lucifer, sadistic crime boss. And it wasn't a Jekyll/Hyde sort of thing - he got a twisted satisfaction out of making people think he was a saint.

Another bad guy I've done was Matthew, a primordial being who, along with his twin sister Adeline, kept the balance between good and evil - he being evil incarnate, she being good incarnate. Until one day he managed to twist her to his way of thinking and nature itself started a descent into chaos. Masquerading as a concerned high-ranking member of society, he called in the heroes from the previous paragraph's roleplay and asked them to investigate.

One of my things about bad guys is that they need more motivation for what they do than "I'm evil, so there." Even wanting money, power, or just to mess with people is better to me than because they're evil. I also try to remember the idea that "every villain is the hero of his own story."

Thanks for the welcome and, if I have questions, I'll be sure to ask.

Hi, and welcome! Have you considered trying a small group RP? From your intro it looks like you're used to a 1x1 setting. Just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there. Anywho, also dropping by to show another friendly face if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. :>

I have not done group roleplays, unless you count weekly Pathfinder sessions with friends :p. I'm open to trying new things, though. Are there any guidelines that are good to follow while doing group ones?

A lot of the same general courtesies that apply when RPing 1x1 are the same for a group; there may be a more extended waiting period between posts than what you are used to, as you wait for a decent number of the group. You can always check with whoever is running the story and see if they have a preference. When I GM, I don't require posting orders for my RPs as long as you give a decent number of people a chance to reply.

At any rate, I recommend giving it a try! Sometimes it's hard to keep a story going with just one other person without the right compatibility. Sometimes that's easier with multiple players. :>

Extended waiting period might be good for me anyways, since school starts soon and I'm going to need to focus on that.

I'll definitely be giving it a try, as soon as my account gets approved :p

Also, those forum games look fun. I wanna join in on that bad genie one....

What kind of roleplays do you GM?

A mixture. Most of mine are kind of dead at the moment, but I've done some fantasy, sci-fi, modern fantasy, dramatic type stuff. Tried running a murder mystery type thing, but it didn't end up panning out which was fine. I do enjoy the forum games.

Have you been active in the threads you do have access to? That will definitely make the approval process go faster. :>

A mixture. Most of mine are kind of dead at the moment, but I've done some fantasy, sci-fi, modern fantasy, dramatic type stuff. Tried running a murder mystery type thing, but it didn't end up panning out which was fine. I do enjoy the forum games.

Have you been active in the threads you do have access to? That will definitely make the approval process go faster. :>

I'm not sure what "modern fantasy" is. Would that be something like Harry Potter or Shadowrun, with fantasy stuff in modern times?

It should be as easy as that, but I remember being confused by a straightforward term like that before. Don't remember what term that was, though...

And yeah, I've been active in a few threads. And I've been approved! :D

Congratulations on approval! Modern fantasy... Uhh, one example is I had an RP that existed in "present time" (different government structure and such, but more or less it was a modern world as we know it today), the difference being elves, dwarves, and magic users existed openly in the world and in most communities they were treated as second-class citizens. Fantastical elements set in a modern world.

I had a Harry Potter-esque RP. Harry Potterish in the fact that it was a school used for teaching magic to those magically inclined, but that's pretty much where the similarities ended. There were also Hunters (think the features of Buffy, if you're familiar) who originally were meant to protect humans from dangerous sorcerers and magical creatures but after a Great War, their focus changed to destroying all Sorcerers, to provide another conflict for the story. Again, this was fantastical elements set in a modernized world.

I enjoy Shadowrun. Though, that's more future than modern. I just used Harry Potter as a comparison, because that's what the story was most similar to.

I know I've already greeted you, but I couldn't resist. Welcome to STC!

How's Damian treating you?

I know I've already greeted you, but I couldn't resist. Welcome to STC!

How's Damian treating you?

Took me a moment to realize what you were talking about :p

I'm back in Bludhaven for now - Black Mask is trying to expand his territory again and a gang war's erupted over here. Damian's with Bruce in Gotham right now, shutting down the Penguin. He's been selling weapons to both sides, which really hasn't helped anything. Huntress is helping me thwart the big things over here, like bombing a mall while some gang leader is walking around. The gunfights happen randomly, though, and we can't always stop them. She doesn't want to, either - thinks it's better if they wipe each other out, as long as innocents aren't hurt (I have to remind her to include that part sometimes).

Back