Her Guardian {Angel} Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nico

inactive
Logan pulled herself from bed after another nearly sleepless night. Her cheeks were stained with tears that fell during her nightmares, and her heart was still racing. Her dreams felt too real for even her, and she could no longer rely on them to provide an escape for her after a long day. Despite sleeping cuddling the blanket instead of wearing it, she was still sweating which was most likely a result of her nightmare. Usually, she would never take the blanket lower than her hips because she still held on to the childish belief that as long as the blanket covered your feet a demon couldn't pull you out of bed, but last night she had been so desperate to cool down she took the blanket off herself entirely.

As her feet padded around the carpet of her bedroom, she checked her phone. It was routine for her to check everything that may need checking in the morning so that she would not fall behind or miss something important. As she did this she also pulled her curtains, letting the dull light of the still-rising sun bathe her room. Her eyes didn't take long to adjust to the sunlight due to them already being encaptured in the light of her phone screen. Her alarm for 8 am was the last thing she touched before setting her phone down, turning the alarm off since she was already awake.

Her shift started at 9 which meant she would have to leave at a quarter til. All this extra time she'd given herself was used for a hot shower. Once she had finished washing and shaving, she sat on the tub floor until the water became ice-cold which put her at 6:55 once she had gotten herself dried and dressed. She scrunched her hair in her towel, being gentle on the light curls that her hair never seemed to hold in any style. Her damp hair was tied back in a loose ponytail as she began to make her coffee and search her cabinets for breakfast.

As the coffee poured into her cup she bit into the Nutella covered toast she had made while the coffee machine was heating the water. The apartment revealed it's freezing temperatures as her body finally regained its ability to control its temperature which only further cemented the severity of these nightmares to her. Coffee had become a replacement for the five out of eight hours of sleep that were taken from her each night, but its effects had been slowing as her body became used to the caffeine. The coffee machine beeped once her cup was filled, and she began to pour the sugar into the cup straight from the bag before going into the fridge for creamer. Once her coffee tasted right she made her way back to her bed, sitting down criss-cross and opening her laptop to see what there was to watch before work.

half-demon-jpg.7666
Daniel crouched in the darkness at the foot of Logan's bed and stared at her sleeping form with an expression that was both thoughtful and irritated at the same time. He had just come from a meeting with his boss, who had told him he was to take over babysitting duty for this human. Take it over from a guardian angel, no less. Had they forgotten he was half-demon or something? What was he supposed to do with this?

His eyes wandered toward her uncovered feet and he grinned to himself. Playing pranks wasn't off the menu, was it? He'd been given a folder with all the info he was supposed to know to get the job done - which he hadn't read yet. He shook his head though as he thought better of it. No need to freak her out...not just yet, anyway. Her guardian angel had apparently been very fond of her, and he seriously doubted pranking was part of the angel's routine.

He brought up one hand to shade his eyes at the sun began to rise, casting light into the small bedroom. He realized he'd better make himself scarce - at least as far as she could tell. Stalking sleeping women was more of a sparkly vampire thing, anyway, wasn't it? With a casual thought, he turned himself invisible, trench coat and all, and backed up in to an out of the way corner so she wouldn't bump into him accidentally upon waking.

She looked like she'd had one hell of a night though, without any demonic intervention. He'd arrived toward the end of it, teleporting straight to her side now that he knew her name. Logan Wyatt. Better than an Uber by far, he could teleport to anyone alive as long as he knew their true name. And hers had been written right on the folder that he still held in one hand.

As she got up and passed near where he stood unseen, her scent wafted over him. Why did she smell so much like Her? He opened the folder hurriedly and rifled through pages until he found her age. 23. His love had died decades before this woman was even a glint in the Elder's eye... and yet that smell. It was so familiar.

He followed her in to the bathroom, quiet as a ghost and having no qualms about invasion of privacy. He was a half-demon after all, invasion was kinda part of the deal. He watched her shower, sitting in the tub under the cold stream of the shower...which as far as he knew wasn't remotely normal. What was this woman going through that required so much fire-power to protect her?

Curious, he followed as she went to prepare breakfast, reading her file as he went, growing more and more concerned. His boss had told him to do a good job...to not mess this one up, or else. He shook his head again, tousled brown hair moving with the strength of his irritation. What the hell - pun intended - was he supposed to do?

As music slowly started to pour from the speakers of her laptop, Logan set the audibly empty coffee cup on her nightstand. She told herself that she would rinse it out and leave it in the sink on her way out of the apartment. Since she had been awake for quite some time and had caffeine starting to boost her level of consciousness, she was able to move a bit faster. Her movements now more calculated as she searched her room for her bag. The black drawstring bag often evaded her when she was looking for it no matter how careful she had been with where she set it down. A part of her felt she was just forgetful or moved it without thinking about it, but another part of her thought that there was something moving her stuff. Predictably the same creatures that came after her within her dreams. However, this was unlikely because the bag wasn't something that could ruin a day entirely.

She used her phone's flashlight to search under her bed, nothing. It wasn't anywhere in the kitchen, nor in the bathroom. She pulled out every dresser drawer and dug around just to find nothing. The last place she checked was under a small desk littered with paperwork, stationery, and craft supplies. Usually, it was home to her laptop and the activities that occurred on it, but recently, she had been working from bed. She thought that working in bed would give her not only a more comfortable working space but also a chance to doze off if her body would allow it. Under the desk, slumped over, was her bag. Once she had grabbed it she began to back up and stand back up, knocking her head on the edge of the desk as she did so.

"Fuck me," she mumbled as she rubbed the back of her head, "you think I would have learned by now to make sure nothing is above me." Her bag thudded onto the desk as she pulled it open. Inside she kept her wallet, chapstick, hair ties, and her name tags for work. Sometimes she kept spare work clothes in there as well, but now was not one of those times. She pulled out her wallet, checking to make sure her cards and ID were inside before chucking it back into the bag and pulling it shut. "Do not," she pointed to the bag, "run-off while I wash this cup and pull my hair up. I'm watching you." In one quick motion, she had her half hair pulled back into a high ponytail, the shorter parts left on the bottom which left her with a half-up/half-down hairstyle.

The more she walked around her apartment the more exhausted and confused she became. She hadn't ever felt this before, a heavier set of emotions combatting her own emotions. Rage mixed with stress as the room began to spin. No matter her attempts to calm herself nothing seemed to work and now that she was no longer keeping herself busy everything caught up with her. Before she knew it she was stumbling to her bed, staring at the ground praying it wouldn't fall out from beneath her feet. "Hey Google," her words came out slurred, "text boss. I cannot make it in today, I am nauseous and very dizzy." Her blinks became slow and she sat herself on the floor, burying her head in her knees hoping for any sense of security to return.

Last edited:
Daniel became concerned and sat down next to Logan on the floor where she had settled. He remained invisible since he doubted a strange man suddenly appearing would do her health any good. He didn't have any idea how to help, though, so just sat there, guarding her, his senses on edge for anything out of the ordinary that may have caused this.

"Please," she begged, "please just leave me alone." Her voice cracked as tears began to fall. "I can't escape you even when I'm awake," she sniffled. What she would give for any distraction or at least an explanation of why her senses had become so overwhelmed. Never before had she taken feeling someone else's emotions so seriously, but nothing else made sense. If this wasn't some empath thing she had neglected to learn about then what was happening to her.

"Why are you here?" she picked her head up and asked into the open room. "Why stay if being her makes you so angry? I've never felt like this before, which must mean that you hold more emotion than the average person. You're safe here; I won't hurt you. I promise."

"Oh, fuck it," Daniel said as he became visible. "I think it's me you're picking up on. Except, I'm not angry."

Suddenly a tall man was sitting in front of her with a concerned look on his face. He was taller than her by a few good inches. Brown hair, in need of a shave. Brown eyes. He wore dark slacks, a grey button down shirt.

Her eyes widened as she pulled her legs closer to herself more out of surprise than being scared. "Well," she relaxed a bit, her head still pounding though her vision had become steady, "you must be. I'm not sure how long you have been lurking, but I have never been so overwhelmed before. Trust me, I have nothing to be angry about, so it's either you or someone else." She looked around for a moment before letting her eyes settle on him. Her eyes studied him, every line and curve visible to her in the way they were arranged on the floor. To her surprise, she was less worried than a man was in her apartment suddenly than she was the embarrassment of the way they were meeting.

"Please," she laughed softly, "tell me you are alone. Also, how is this happening? I feel like I've either fallen asleep and am having a good dream for once in a million nights, or my headache is just so severe I'm hallucinating." Her hand reached out to him, offering a handshake. This she thought would be her way of figuring out just how real everything was. "I'm Logan," she smiled warmly.

Daniel eyed Logan as she went through several different stages of reaction in record time, all the way to acceptance. This woman must have been through a hell of a lot in her 23 years. He had the decency to feel a pang as she mentioned not knowing how long he'd been lurking around, and chose not to answer the unspoken question.

He let her study him, feeling somehow naked under her gaze, and remembered what he'd been told about her being an old soul with empathic gifts. It felt like she could see right through him, but he shook off the sensation - she couldn't be that perceptive.

"Yeah," he said. "I'm alone, and you're not sleeping, though for all I know you may be hallucinating. I look good, right?" he asked, running his hand through his hair to make it even more tousled on purpose before favoring her with a grin.

"Oh. I'm Rel...errrr, Daniel," he said, correcting himself mid-word. Was he really just about to tell her his demonic name? He shook his head, irritated at himself. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance."

He reached out, and took her hand in his.

She shook his hand firmly while shaking her head at his antics. "Daniel, we will have to work on making you better at lying, or we can work towards you being honest with me. As for your looks, I am going to pretend I didn't hear that." Silently she admitted to herself that he was attractive. Tall, secretive, brunette, her type, but he didn't need to know that. At least not so early in their interactions. With his handshake she knew he was real, so she wasn't about to play into his hands and let him hear what he wanted to hear.

"Besides, your hand feels pretty real. The warmth of skin isn't something dreams are able to create let alone something a hallucination could provide," she pushed herself off the ground, looking down at him. His height still apparent despite him being sat on the floor in front of her. She still felt odd about the whole thing. After all, he had just appeared in front of her, and his aura felt otherworldly. Anxiety stirred in the bottom of her stomach although her conscious mind didn't feel threatened. "I-I don't really know what to say," she admitted, "I'd suggest we get to know each other, but I have a feeling you already know who I am. You know, since people don't traditionally materialize out of nowhere. Maybe I can get you a snack or something to drink?" Her tone was cautious, reserved which was most likely a result of her mind still not fully understanding what was going on.

Logan made a mental note to research empaths just to see if that could explain more about what she was experiencing. It was odd to her that she was suddenly so accepting of empathy being anything more than a trait, but it was her only logical way of explaining this all to herself. While she may get answers she didn't like at least she would have answers. It might not be bad to ask Daniel if he knows anything due to the circumstances of your meeting, but those questions would have to wait until after the small talk as she didn't want to scare him off or immediately make him feel unsafe in her presence.

Daniel felt an odd sense of familiarity, a kind of deja vu, as Logan took his hand. Hadn't he done this once before? He shook it off - definitely not. He didn't make a habit of revealing himself to his vict...errr charges out of the blue like this. He looked down at their clasped hands, still feeling a little deja vuey, and then she was pulling away and standing up.

He just looked up at her for a moment as she towered over him and spoke, then moved to rise as well. It was uncomfortable having someone stand over you, he decided - he'd have to remember that for future assignments. As off balance as he was as he stood there looking into her eyes, he figured he'd better just let her do most the talking. Less she knew, the better. Hell, he barely knew anything, himself.

"Sure. I drink," he said, then realized that probably sounded really odd. Oh well. He couldn't imagine anything he could say at this point wouldn't come across as odd, all things considered.

"Most people your age do, assuming you're over 21. What do you want to drink? I have coffee, water, and I think Pepsi in the fridge; nothing alcoholic though," she teased as she made her way out of her room to the kitchen signaling for him to follow.

"Quite odd don't you think? That I'm not freaking out or calling the police I mean," she laughed, "Although in return for being so hospitable I would love it if you let me ask a few questions, nothing invasive I promise. After the questions, you're free to erm....leave? Turn invisible to the human eye?" One of her eyebrows raised as the thought more about it. 'Really, how did he get here, and why am I so okay with this? Maybe because I'm sleep deprived?' she thought.

'No,' she pulled out a chair from her small dining table, if you could call it that, 'But then why? And he seems just as confused if not more confused than I am.' "Uhm, take a seat or stand or prop yourself up on the counter; whatever is most comfortable for you," she offered a sheepish smile although she avoided making eye contact. Even if his glances didn't seem invasive there was something about the care he took in his actions that made her shy to the idea of eye contact.

Daniel followed willingly enough, giving a wry grin at her response as he did. "Coffee will be fine," he said.

"Er, yeah..." he agreed. "Though I do appreciate it, dealing with the police isn't on my agenda this morning. But then, neither was you collapsing. You do that often?"

Since she didn't actually ask him if how or why he'd been invisible, he just gave her a nod and leaned on the counter as she prepared the drinks. "That's very considerate," he said in response, that grin back again. "Go ahead. Ask your questions. Then we'll see what happens next."

"I haven't ever collapsed to my knowledge, this will be a first. I'm not going to say it's your fault because that would be rude, but the emotions had to come from someone. And that someone is not me which leaves you since you're the only other..." she paused, "person here.." Her words were coated in confusion, but she was trying not to step on any toes.

After the coffee machine had filled his cup she moved to the fridge, pulling out the creamer, and then she moved to the cabinet for the sugar. She set the sugar and creamer by his mug, "Have at it." Her hand raised to signal from him to go as if she was directing kids to cross the road. It felt ridiculous when she thought about it, but no matter how hard she tried to break the habit of gesturing with her hands so much it persisted.

She planted her hands on the counter across from where he had been leaning and pushed herself up, adjusting the place she was sitting until it felt comfortable enough. "I suppose I could start with the most obvious questions. How did you get in, and why are you watching me?" Easy starters, questions that were base level, that was the way to start she had learned. Conversations always started with the obvious small talk before anyone was truly willing to say or answer anything below surface level.

With a furrowed brow, Daniel poured a generous portion of creamer into his coffee. He eyed the sugar, flashing back to how much Logan had put in her own coffee earlier that day, and pushed it away with one pinky finger. "Stuff'll kill you," he said, bringing the full cup to his lips to hide the grin.

"Okay," he said, continuing to lean casually. "Answer one, I shimmered. Answer two, it's my job."

"It may kill me, but at least I will have actually enjoyed the taste of my coffee. If you would've taken it black, I would've kicked you out," she exaggerated a look of disgust before letting out a soft chuckle.

"Your job you say? Tell me, Daniel," she batted her eyes at him and tried to stifle a grin, "what exactly is your job? In general or with me specifically. I have a feeling and correct me if I'm wrong, but you are not the one who continues to keep me up at night. You're too kicked back for that, and, no offense to that guy, but he's a bit rough around the edges." She rolled back her shoulders and pushed her back to the wall, looking him up and down as she leaned back. In the bedroom, she hadn't been able to fully appreciate him, but now, in the fluorescent light of her kitchen, she was able to indulge herself.

Daniel raised his brows as Logan batted her eyes at him, revealing his surprise. Okay, this was not the usual response he got from people he paid a visit to. But then, that was to be expected, he hadn't been sent to torture her. He could get used to this job, he realized. And if he felt like he knew her...maybe she felt the same?

"My job is to keep you safe," he said, surprised again as the truth rolled out of his mouth so naturally. He looked away and sipped his coffee, taking a moment to compose his thoughts. "Not my normal line of work, but the, erm, Office figured it was appropriate," he said, then added quietly, mostly to himself "God knows why..."

"What exactly has been going on with you?" he asked as he turned back to look at her, dark eyes penetrating. "Why aren't you sleeping?"

"Your job doesn't seem like an office job, and isn't it usually angels who protect? I've never met one so....striking, although to be fair I've never to my knowledge met an angel," she laughed softly.

The mention of her dreams made her wonder if that was the safety he was providing, but that wouldn't be possible since it was all in her own head. At least she thought it was. Her eyes scanned the floor tiles as she spoke. "I have just been having really bad nightmares. It's stupid I know, but they feel so real to me. I can't even take a nap." Her admittance was partially because she had wanted to get it off her chest for a while now, but also because something inside her told her he would protect her. The way he said it made it seem less like a job and more like personal interest, but she could just be mistaking his words.

It was already odd how willing she was to have him in her home, but he didn't feel threatening in the slightest. Maybe it was because she had previously felt so unsafe because of her dreams, but maybe it was something more. His voice felt familiar, but not in the sense that she had ever met him before. Maybe she had come across him at work, but she felt like she would have been more observant of a man that looked like Daniel.

"That's because it's not," he replied truthfully enough, shrugging a shoulder to roll off the question and putting his half empty cup of coffee back on the counter as he listened.

"Nightmares, you say? What kind of nightmares?" he asked, letting his eyes roam over her aura as he searched for signs of thin spots or unhealthy areas. He wasn't comforted by what he saw - she really was a mess, and his concern showed in his eyes

"Stop looking at me like that, I'm not some weak child," her voice came across harsher than she expected, and the sudden snap confused her. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said it that way. As for the dreams," she tried to move past her aggressiveness quickly, "Some nights I'm being chased through a made others I'm like a target at a shooting range--not literally but that's what it feels like."

She took a deep breath, the blink that came with it being long. "I swear I'm not this much of a wreck normally, but recently everything's gotten bit hazy. I was at work last week and one of the girls called a customer's name and I replied. It wasn't even similar to Logan, but for some reason, it felt like she was calling me. Then, I was out for a jog in a part of town I never really go through, and I recognized one of the street names. Not to mention, I'm starting to think this empathy thing isn't just a personality trait because I watched a coworker burn her hand and I felt it. I got sad and hurt with her which is beyond weird."

Last edited:
Daniel realized he'd been staring at her with concern, and frowned, returning his gaze to her eyes. "There's nothing wrong with being seen for what you're really experiencing. I don't think you're weak - I was just surveying the damage to your aura," he explained. "And it's extensive."

He swirled the remains in his cup and nodded thoughtfully. "Empathy is a personality trait in one sense, a skill in another. Some even call it a curse, but really it's just the ability to sense energy moving - or not, as the case may be." he said. "I'm pretty good at it myself."

He finished off the coffee, then put the cup down and came around the counter to approach Logan. He stood right in front of her, looking at her again with that unfocused gaze. Then he kneeled, putting his head at right about the height of her midriff. "Energy in motion is emotion. You just 'see' more than your average person. And if you can see, you can also be seen. It makes you more visible in the astral realm to the beings that live there."

"Something saw you and found you tasty," he continued, running his hand over the air between them, as if searching for something. It tingled wherever his fingers moved. "And it's been taking nightly bites out of your life force. Your energy. Right here," he added as he, poked lightly at her tummy with one finger. "That is why you're tired. Anyone would be."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back