Her Guardian {Angel} Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan groaned and rolled back onto her back, her eyes fluttering open slightly. It was visibly that she wasn't fully awake, but she still attempted to talk. "Water....please," she continued to stare at the ceiling as she spoke. However, before she could even try to sit up she had fallen back asleep. It wasn't a deep sleep by any means, and it wouldn't last long. Her body just needed a bit more before it was willing to let her get up and go again. Some minutes passed before her eyes opened again, this time fully as her body was ready to get up and do things. Since she hadn't had sleep in so long even this short amount of sleep felt like a lot.

She pushed her pillow up against the wall and scooted back to rest against it. It took a few moments for her to collect her thoughts and piece together what happened, but once she finally did she smiled to herself. It's over. "Thank you Danny....iel," she attempted to correct herself, "How are you feeling?" It had taken something out of him to protect her, and she could see that. She could also feel that he was significantly less peppy than before, instead filled with minor fatigue and nostalgic feelings. She wanted to ask about them but chose not to because that was no way to thank someone, shoving your nose in their business. Instead, she opened her arms wide, "Hug?" It seemed beneficial for him and her which is why she offered it, besides she couldn't figure out how to word her thankfulness.

Daniel blinked his eyes open as he hear Logan speak and was pulled from his inward / outward focus. He was disoriented for a moment. Why was Lauren laying down befo... "Oh yeah," he said, shaking his head and running his hand over his face and into his hair.

He realized he had more than a days worth of stubble going on and felt a twinge of embarrassment. She always liked him clean sha...what? His mind went blank and he shook himself out of his trance. He really needed to get a better grip on himself, this was getting to be too much. And hadn't she just asked for something.

It came to him. Water, of course. He checked on her briefly and made sure the ritual space was uninterrupted and still running, then he got up carefully and went to get her a glass of water from the kitchen. She'd be awake soon, and she was already looking much better. Relief washed over him like a wave as he sat back down on the edge of the bed.

He waited there, silent as she roused herself. "Have a nice nap?" he asked, a grin lighting his eyes as he held out the glass to her. "Water first, hug after."

"It was amazing," she grabbed the glass and took a sip, "thank you, really. I'm struggling to find the words that will fully articulate how thankful I am which is partially why I offered the hug." Partially, why did I have to include that? What if he asks questions?

She set the cup back down on the nightstand and reopened her arms to him. "By the way, you're free to stay here visibly if you would like to. We can go out and get you stuff unless you have a place to return to in which case you could treat my home like a hotel when you're here," she smiled softly.

Deep down she didn't want him to leave, but Logan didn't want to be so direct about that. Wouldn't it be odd for some girl who is essentially just an assignment for you to ask you to move in after mere hours together? That's a feeling she wanted to avoid. It was hard enough to figure out which emotions she felt that were hers and which were his if she was picking up his emotions at all. They felt like they fit her to well to have any of his mixed it, but maybe that just meant the situation was as odd for him as it was for her. The nostalgic feeling though had to be somewhat from him as well because there wasn't any imaginable way she could feel so acutely nostalgic about a man she had never met who's name was far too similar to the man in front of her.

As if reading her mind, Daniel said, "Partially?" He actually had one eyebrow raised as he regarded her, a grin threatening to appear around the corners of his mouth.

He wasn't sure how to answer her offer to live with him. His heart skipped a beat, but he also felt that things might be moving a tad fast. So instead of answering, he deftly sidestepped. He stood up, stepped back and opened one arm in a mirror of hers. "I'll give you a hug, but not in such a compromising position," he said, definitely grinning now as he surveyed her on the bed, propped up against one wall.

Dammit. "Partially what? I don't remember saying that," she rerouted conversation as she scooted herself to the edge of the bed and planted her feet on the floor.

She stood up and wrapped her arms around him, nuzzling against his chest, "Not all of us see things like that as compromising. When you trust people they're just positions," she murmured as she continued to hug him.

His cologne smelt familiar as if she had been entranced in the same scent before. Maybe she had come across it at a store, but it felt much more personal than that. The feel of his body against hers also a familiar thing, and that was something that she would definitely remember. Logan wanted to pause in this moment and prolong it further than she was willing to in reality because she didn't want to make the whole thing seem so desperate and awkward.

Daniel would have taken a step back as Logan came into his arms if he hadn't been so hell bent on appearing manly. She caught him entirely by surprise. He stiffened, arms held out in a locked position for way longer than would be considered normal. But he knew the custom, even if he hadn't taken part in it in decades, and slowly brought his arms down to wrap her in an embrace.

He felt pain in his heart, a remembering as he tucked her head up under his chin and held her close. Was she saying something? He couldn't even tell, his blood was pounding so hard in his ears. He wanted to wrap her up in his arms and never let go. But another part of him just wanted to run away. This was way too painful. Too close to memories he'd locked down tight long ago.

He pulled away a bit more roughly than intended, almost shoving her to get her at arms length...anything to stop the rush of memories. "No," he said, voice hoarse. He seemed to be responding to an unspoken question. "We need to...focus. This isn't over yet." He walked a few feet away and turned his back to hide the emotions warring on his face.

"Let's take that walk you talked about earlier," he said, still not showing her his face. "As we walk, I can teach you some things about your abilities that would be good for you to know."

That said, he walked out of the bedroom. The energy that had lingered in a slow spin around the colorful plastic letters on the bed, PROTECT, spun crazily, wavered, then winked out.

Logan quickly pulled a hoodie on and stumbled out of the bedroom behind him. "Sorry," she mumbled, "You'll need to pay attention while walking because not everyone is polite. If you think an empty space would be best for this lecture I can take you into the emptier parts of town; they're not too far." She made her way to the door and pulled on her tennis shoes before wishing her wallet out of her bag. Carrying the whole thing was pointless as use would most likely only come from her wallet which she slid into the pocket of her hoodie.

"We can grab drinks or snacks or something," she shrugged, feeling the need to justify herself despite Daniel not saying anything. She couldn't bring her eyes to meet his; she could barely look at him at all. All the feelings caused by the hug still swarming around her head while her heart continued to beat out of her chest. If she didn't know any better she would assume it was a heart attack coming on, but in this case, it was just odd "old" feelings accompanied by the anxiety surrounding him pushing her back. What had she done wrong?

The only thing she could think of was that he was feeling the same nostalgic emotions and decided to deal with them in an opposing way to how she chose to deal with them. However, that was a purely self-indulgent idea. Just because she suddenly felt like he should love her doesn't mean that that was how things would play out. Logan had to let go of all of it, squash it down inside of her so that things could be normal. At least as normal as they could get. It's his job to protect me, nothing more, and I have to be okay with that. I am okay with that.

Daniel shook his head as Logan came up behind him. He still had his jacket on from when he'd shimmered in earlier. "I'm not fond of crowds as a general rule," he said. "But we can go to a cafe or something like that. People watching is what we need for this."

"Well we cannot go to the one I work at since I called off sick, and my coworkers will think I called off to spend the day with you," she grabbed her keys and clipped them to her jeans, opening the door. "Whenever you're ready."

Daniel nodded and walked through the door, then turned and waited for Logan to take the lead. "Lead on," he said, making a sweeping gesture with one arm. "I've never been here. Only part of this town I've seen so far is your home."

"There's not much to see," she pulled the door shut and made her way to the stairs, starting the descent from her floor. "It's only three floors up, so don't worry."

As they passed one of her neighbors she nodded to her, knowing that there would be a billion questions later when they finally caught Logan alone. Her neighbors were lovely people they just had a knack for being a bit nosy which was one of Logan's least favorite things. She never understood why people couldn't just mind their own business unless directed to do otherwise, then again, Logan was not the most normal of people herself. Although her issue was that she got overwhelmed by the emotions of others if they were too deep.

"Oh, okay - why suggest the tour, then?" he asked, moving comfortably up to walk beside Logan.

He nodded greetings to the neighbor as they passed, his hand going up to his no-longer-present hat in an old gesture that time had forgotten, but his body apparently had not. "Ma'am," he said. As they moved on by, he darted a glance to Logan to see her reaction.

"Take a moment to reach out and sense that woman's aura," he said as they continued to walk down the stairs. "You made eye contact, and you are still in her mind," he said, then pursed his lips and shook his head with amusement. "So am I for that matter. And that creates a two-way link."

"Anyway," he continued. "When there is an acknowledgement of sight, you create a momentary bond that lingers. See what you can pick up. Ride the line back. The soul tie, as tenuous and passing as it is, can grant you a great deal of useful information about a person when necessary."

He rounded one set of stairs and began on the last, making a sweeping gesture with his arm to indicate she should go first. "Tell me what you pick up, and what it feels like as we move farther and farther away from your neighbor," he said. "See if you can feel when you leave her mind."

"She was curious probably about who the hell you are, and she was shocked probably because I am with a guy," she rolled her eyes, "I don't need all my neighbors thinking I'm a witch so maybe keep the ability talk a bit quieter. As for the tour, I thought it could do you good to know the area until I realized that you weren't moving here for work since you can just pop in and out whenever you please."

Her steps down the stairs were quick, the curiosity and shock from her neighbor leaving her thoughts about halfway down. "Here," she paused for a split second before continuing down the stairs. As much as she had thought this adventure would be fun, it turned out she would rather be doing anything else. Training sure, why not, but after their last big interaction in her place being near him upset her. She felt as if she had been broken up with after years of a seemingly problem-free relationship, and now the two of them had to go somewhere and act like nothing had changed around their friends.

"I'm gaining distance so your muddled emotions don't keep invading myself since this ability doesn't seem optional, especially with how deeply your current emotions are being felt," she turned the corner for the final set of steps and kept going until she hit the bottom. Her arm was on the door ready to open it for him.

Daniel stopped abruptly, both eyebrows raised at Logan. "You aren't understanding me. But, if you think that your abilities aren't under your full control, that may be the reason," he said.

He closed his eyes for a moment, allowing her to stand there with her hand on the door as he stood still. One by one, things Logan had been feeling from him winked out, as if a curtain were being drawn closed over them. It took him a moment to finish cloaking himself, but once he was done it was almost as if no one was standing there at all.

"Better?" he asked. "And I may be able to pop in whenever I please, but I can't pop out, so I will be moving here for 'work.'"

"Thank you," she sighed, finally left with enough heartache to signal it was only her own, but why. "I'm just over it. I don't see what's so great about dealing with people's shit all the time. Hell, I spent most of my teen years being used as a doormat by those who called themselves my friends. Of course, I gave good advice because I had been through things they couldn't even begin to think about."

She opened the door and motioned for him to pass through. "You're just so easy to talk to," the girl scrunched her nose, "Besides, you cannot complain that people use you when you're practically made to be used." The female laughed as she walked off. I called her my best friend when to her I was just a tool. When she was hurt I would heal, but when my guts were spilling onto the floor no one even looked in my direction. Logan brushed away a tear before it could hit her cheek. A lot of her recent memories were traumatic, but she agreed. "I'm made to be used," she laughed dryly, "That's why you're here, because someone told you I needed to be put back together. If you had a choice I'm sure you wouldn't have come." Tears dripped down her cheeks as she spoke, "Sorry. I'm just not used to anyone showing care that seems genuine and meaning it."

Daniel gave her an odd look, and stepped through the door as she gestured for him to pass by her. He turned back as soon as he was on the other side, his own emotion plain on his face. He was outraged. "Don't you ever say that about yourself," he said, voice vehement as he sliced through the air with one hand. "And that is not why I'm here."

He seemed to be so mad he could barely contain himself. Stiff shouldered, hands formed into fists, he walked several strong, long paces in a random direction, then spun on her with one finger extended. Grief was in his eyes, and expressed in the hard line of his mouth as he said it again, quiet and sharp. "Don't you EVER say that about yourself."

Logan straightened up and nodded, wiping her tears from her cheeks. She felt stupid being so unable to contain her own emotions, but that's what happens when you push things down for so long. Eventually, every little scar in her memories would have to be looked in the eyes and reduced to nothing. It was up to her to decide that those were just memories, and she was a brilliant person. Unfortunately, today was not that day, but having him here to console her, even if his method wasn't the most affectionate, helped a lot for some reason. Having someone to directly combat your negative thoughts when they bubbled to the surface made those thoughts harder to believe as fact.

"I'm sorry," she sniffled, her eyes trained on the cement, "It all just happened. Oh, and you were storming off in the right direction. The cafe is that way." She raised a hand and pointed in the direction he had paced in as if to remind him.

Daniel softened immediately, drawing back to himself and realizing how he had come across. "I'm sorry, I just can't stand...I don't want you to..." He shook his head, frustrated at his inability to express himself.

He stepped closer and cupped Logan's cheek, dipping his head so he could gaze into her eyes as he gently tugged her chin up. "It's going to be okay now," he said, trying to be reassuring. The total certainty in his eyes was certainly hard to argue with. "You'll see."

She placed her hand on to of his as she leaned into his hand, "We will see." A small smile tugged at her lips as she pulled her face away from the warmth of his hand.

"You said you were moving here, but earlier you hadn't said that you wanted to move in with me which is fine. I have an air mattress if it was the sharing a bed thing that turned you away from that," she started walking towards the coffee shop, her steps slow, "we can talk about it over coffee?"

Daniel nodded, and smiled, and fell in to step beside Logan as she began walking toward the shop. "Oh, uh," he said, managing to appear a bit bashful. "I have odd feelings around you, because of you," he said.

"I don't understand them, or why they're surfacing now," he said, quickly growing frustrated with himself and hesitant to say anymore.

"You, just being around you, makes me feel things that...don't make sense. We just met and..." he trailed off, frustration taking his voice as they continued to walk.

Luckily he retained the presence of mind enough to nod at the mention of coffee. "Yeah."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back