Her Guardian {Angel} Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I know, the odd feeling of nostalgia and heartbreak," she looked over at him for a quick moment to see if she should continue, "At first, I thought most of it was just from my own feelings, but when you cloaked yourself it took away far more than I expected. She must have been special."

Knowing the true weight of the emotions he had felt allowed her to realize this. However, she didn't understand why she pulled those feelings out of him or why he pulled the same feelings out of her. He had lived a lot longer, had more to lose and come in contact with which meant she could resemble someone he had deeply cared for previously, but there was no one for him to remind her of. Logan hadn't ever loved anyone much less been in a serious relationship, so why did he pull feelings like that out of her.

"If it makes you feel any better," she swallowed, "I get the same odd feelings. It's quite frustrating." She smiled at the barista behind the counter through the glass door as they approached the cafe. Thankful for the direct interruption, she opened the door and motioned for him to go in.

Daniel looked back at Logan and nodded, though a bit of surprise lit his features as well. Apparently he hadn't been able to pick up on her feelings through his own confusion. "I," he began, then looked away to hide his expression. "She was. She was my friend, my teacher," he continued, then trailed off without finishing the sentence, apparently thinking better of it..

He looked back at her, brow furrowed with concern. "You mentioned," he said as they stepped inside the cafe. The cool, air conditioned breeze that blew out at them as they stepped inside was a welcome sensation. He nodded to the barista and placed his order, then gestured to a window seat in an unoccupied corner before heading over.

He shrugged out of his ever present trench coat and hung it on a coat hook strategically placed near the table, then took a seat and folded his hands. Then unfolded them and leaned back. It took some effort, but he finally managed to appear somewhat relaxed by the time Logan had placed her own order and come over to join him.

Logan sat in her chair, her hands pulled up into the sleeve of her sweatshirt to give her a physical distraction. He was her teacher now like the woman he thought so highly of had been before, and she knew he wasn't going to take it easy on her. After what she had said as they left the apartment building, she could tell he was even more determined to teach her than he had been previously.

"She sounds great, and her sacrifice in teaching you is what made you able to help me. I suppose that means I owe her a thank you as well," she offered a gentle smile towards him. Her desire to press for more information about her was cloaked in her empathetic nature. No matter how much she wanted to know, it was far more important to her that he was not upset or stuck in a set of memories that would just cause more heartache within him.

"She was," said Daniel, nodding to Logan as she sat down. Then he chuckled and shook his head. "Sacrifice? What makes you think that's how it was?"

"You're still alive, but I have a feeling she wasn't built to last as long as you have. Instead of her spending her life using what she knew to do what she wanted, she spent a lot of it with you. By passing down her teachings she was able to leave a bit of herself with you, and that's how acts of selflessness work. She gave up her future for a life with you, and there is no greater sacrifice," Logan sat up straight as she finished speaking.

Daniel's features took on a great deal of sadness as Logan spoke, and he nodded. "I guess she did..." he said, growing quiet. "I'd like to think..." he began, then nodded to the barista as she brought over his café au lait and scone. He took a long moment, squaring things away on the table before he spoke again.

"I'd like to think she was happy," he said quietly. "I know I was, which may have been more than I deserved. She was the light of my life."

"You get what you deserve in life," she swirled her vanilla ice coffee in its cup before taking a sip, "I'm not saying she wasn't happy to spend her life with you. I'm just saying it was-" Logan shut her eyes tight and dropped her head slowly. It took her a minute or two before she was ready to start speaking again. These headaches keep getting worse, maybe I should see someone?

"As I was saying, she was probably happy, but nothing in life is free. Regardless, I'm glad you're here, and I'm glad she was willing to share what she knew with you. Now you get to go around and use what you have been taught to help people like me," she smiled softly, her vision still slightly blurred.

Daniel nodded, sipping his own coffee and watching Logan thoughtfully. "Then I'm a lucky man," he said with a tilted smile. He sat back with a sigh and regarded her.

"So, back to you. What would you like to know more about, first?" he asked. "Self care - how to protect yourself, to cloak and maintain your own energies. Or basic self defense? We can get in to soul divining and reading auras later, once you've got the basics down."

"Is there really a difference between self defense and self care?" she took a sip of coffee, "They sound pretty similar. Besides, I think you should pick. You have no real emotional ties to me nor and inside --well maybe a little-- information which means you have the cleanest slate when it comes to judging my situation. Objectively, you would be the best person to decide. I could make a biased decision and learn something that I don't really need now as opposed to something that could help heal that "hole" in me that you looked at in my kitchen."

Daniel chuckled and nodded,"Fair enough," he said. "Well, let me ask you this then. Tune in to your own energy field for a moment. Otherwise known as your aura. Can you sense it at all, for starters."

He took another sip of his coffee. "And if you can, tell me what it feels like. Does it have a color? A shape? A temperature? A flavor? Use description words. If it helps you can run your own hand over your body as you go."

He pursed his lips and leaned forward again, resting his elbows on the table and holding his cup between his hands. "There are seven main energy centers that power the body - seven seals. Seven seats of the soul. They reside within your physical form and look like wheels of colored light. They are your soul, made manifest in your physical form."

"Odd way to ask me what I taste like," she laughed softly before sitting back in her chair and focusing. "It's too noisy, like everyone's emotional liquid is sloshing all around me which is not exactly the most fun I've had."

Logan tried harder, putting her hands against her ears in an attempt to stop hearing everyone else's feelings. Maybe the motion seemed stupid, but it was a noise-canceling method, albeit it one that didn't help a ton. She dropped the hand that was facing the wall and squeeze her thigh just above her knee. Feel it. It's something palpable, something physical even if you cannot see it.

"Nothing," she sighed and dropped her other hand, "I've got nothing. Maybe it's warm, but that could just be me? I don't know. No color, no taste, no shape. It's just hot and scrambled. Like the edges that I see are jagged which is why I cannot describe to you a shape. There's also gaps which makes the whole thing difficult."

Daniel chuckled softly, "You caught that, eh?" Then he sat back and watched as Logan attempted to sense what he'd asked. "Well, that's actually a great start," he said, nodding. "So, first things first, let's teach you how to create some space for yourself."

"This may sound like an odd question, but do you believe in God? Or gods? Or Angels? Or the Elders, or anything in particular?" he asked. "You obviously believe that you have a soul, or at least that's what I've gathered from how you've spoken. In order for you to invoke something beyond yourself, you need to believe it exists in the first place."

He paused, considering. "Even if it's just a divine principle, or the idea of nature. I guess what I'm asking is, do you believe that there is anything beyond yourself whose power and reach may be greater than your own?"

"Of course. There's no way it's just us in control otherwise everything would be much more chaotic," she sighed. "I've met people who are willing to believe in the concept of soul mates or twin flames, yet they're unwilling to believe there's some greater power in charge. How else would you end up spiritually tied to someone like that because you definitely cannot do that yourself."

Logan leaned back in her chair and let her head drop back so she could stare at the ceiling. Often she would find herself zoning out to keep herself busy, but right now she was trying to zone out just those not at the table. If she could put up those mental barriers as if others weren't even inside with Daniel and herself this whole lesson might be easier.

Daniel nodded his agreement and wrapped his hands around his now mostly empty mug. "I agree," he said with a smile that was both wistful and rueful. "I like to call them, whoever they are, The Elders."

His large fingers wrapped 'round the coffee mug easily, holding it safely cupped as he held it up above the table several inches to illustrate something. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then let it out. "Elders, I now know that this space is held sacred. None shall pass, above, below, or all around us. We are held in the bubble of your care," he said.

His voice intoned, a low bass that could be felt in the chest. And as simple and sudden as that, the space he and Logan occupied was suddenly cut off from the outside world. Nothing visible happened. But energetically, he and Logan now sat in the emotional equivalent of a sound proofed room.

Opening his eyes, he set the mug down on the table again and returned his gaze to Logan. "Better?" he asked.

She nodded a bit and kept her eyes trained on the cup. "They assigned you to me didn't they?" Her voice was gentle, curious.

He said it was his job to protect her, and there was no other boss she could think of. Since Logan lived a pretty low profile life there were no criminals or crime rings in her circle of contacts, so his assignment had not been from them. The police didn't assign someone a protector so directly without the person's knowledge which meant he also didn't come from there. Plus, all his knowledge about things higher than humanity and his long history of life was proof enough that he wasn't fully of this realm no matter how human he looked.

Daniel paused for a moment, as if weighing his words. Finally he just shrugged, and nodded. "Yes."

His eyes lifted and skipped around the cafe to the various people seated at tables. He even included the Barista, and he raised his cup to her as she looked his way and then started to come over. Then he turned back to Logan.

"So what do you think of the shield?" he asked, raising one eyebrow as he tactfully changed the subject.

"That it works. A cool trick I suppose, but you're not going to be with me every hour of every day for the rest of my life which means I need to learn how to shield myself. Preferably in a less extravagant way," she adjusted in her seat as the Barista grew closer.

"She's been waiting for that by the way," Logan shook her head, "Her emotions were the loudest."

Daniel grinned at Logan and nodded. "She'll be able to come over since I caught her eye on purpose," he said. "Most people just wouldn't notice us here."

He sat back and gestured with his cup to the barista as she entered their space. "Hello again," he said, making a show of looking at the woman's name tag. "Barbara. I was hoping we could get another round? Decaf for me, this time."

Barbara paused for the briefest second just as she crossed the barrier to the space Daniel had asked the Elders to create around them. Once she entered, she blew out a breath in a sigh, as if the tension was leaving her all of a sudden.

"Oh my," she said. "It's so cozy in this little corner. You know, I never noticed that before? Now what was that?" She blinked at the sound of her name, then responded right away. "Oh yes of course, I'll start a tab." Her eyes lingered on Daniel just a bit longer before moving on to Logan. "Are you...together?" she asked.

Logan's cheeks dusted a light shade of red at the barista's question, and it took her a little bit to find the words. "Yes," she smiled softly, avoiding eye contact with Daniel. "Can I ask for extra sugar in my coffee this time, preferably liquid sugar so it doesn't just rest at the bottom of the cup?"

The barista's attitude changed. She had been hopeful and confused, maybe a little anxious with the sudden "coziness" of the corner, but now she seemed a bit discouraged. Of course, she watched him walk to the table and kept looking over here. The way her eyes lit up when he called her over would've revealed everything to me even if I couldn't feel her real emotions.

Daniel nodded his thanks to the barista and turned the full weight of his attention to Logan, as if Barbara were no longer standing there. And in a moment, she wasn't. The blast of emotional information and energy left with her, and as soon as she crossed the barrier line, the cozy was just theirs again. It was as if the volume on everyone else in the shop was turned almost completely down.

"I'm sure you noticed her coming in, and then leaving again," he said, even though it went without saying. "The invocation is simple enough. I could have created such a bubble using my own energy if I wanted, but that would tax me, and require my focus," he said. "When you invoke The Elders, or whoever, they hold it for you. The key is in knowing that they will, when you ask it of them."

He grinned, and pushed his empty mug toward Logan. "It can help to use a focus when doing the invocation - to set the parameters," he said. "Ready to give it a try?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back