Her Guardian {Angel} Demon

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sure," she wrapped her hands around the mug, "isn't calling on The Elders to do this for you like an abuse of power? In a split seconds notice if things get too overwhelming there may not be enough of me left to say an invocation. Before you put up the barrier, I stared at the ceiling. By doing that I was able to space out those around us to half the volume they were before. When I do that I can pull someone's emotions closer individually."

Her words seemed uncertain because her confidence wasn't fully there. "Oh, and sorry for cheating you out of her number. She was disappointed you were with someone."

Daniel shrugged one shoulder and offered Logan a grin. "Eh, she wasn't my type, anyway," he said.

He chuckled and shook his head at the mention of abuse of power. "No. It doesn't take them any power or even effort to do what they do naturally," he said. "It's more about us choosing to invoke that which is already present - to choose it, with our own active, free will - than it is them doing us a favor. You could even say it pleases then, whenever we remember to ask."

He nodded as she mentioned staring at the ceiling. "That was you, efforting," he said. "Like I said, you can do it yourself. But why use your own energy and focus when there's a built in option you merely have to invoke?"

"And, the whole invocation thing? Saying the words and making a whole thing out of it? I did that for your benefit," he added. "All that's really necessary is to think about it, ask for it, and know it's done. Creating a ritual out of it can feel more 'real' however."

With that, he waved one hand through the air and dropped the bubble. Suddenly the world came rushing back in in full surround sound and vibrant color.

"You know, a warning would have been nice. If you drink a caffeinated coffee don't be surprised because she's more than just let down by this whole thing," Logan winced and slowly returned back to normal.

"If I have energy why not use some off it? I mean I'm all for picking from the free bag of goodies the Elders are willing to offer, but it feels like I'm cheating I guess. Relying on someone or something isn't exactly my best quality," she scratched the back of her neck before returning that hand to the coffee mug.

"Why use the mug if all you have to do is believe it's there? Clearly, their ritual doesn't demand a sacrifice," she laughed softly.

With the cup in her hands, she began to think. How am I supposed to ask? Do they need some sort of honorific? She leaned back in her seat and sighed; she knew she was making it too complicated. If he could ask so easily so could she, but it felt sort of silly. "I feel dumb," she admitted sheepishly, "Like a child thinking if they wish really hard before they throw the coin into the fountain it will actually come true."

Daniel chuckled, then inclined his head to Logan. "Sorry. Sometimes a bit of a shock to the system is necessary to bring home the reality that something is actually going on," he said. "That it's not just a 'cozy corner' by accident."

He shrugged at her question. "Using your own energy is a waste. It takes effort, focus, and energy that you could be using for something else," he said. "But, if that's what you need, that's fine. Sometimes people feel like they have to work for any benefit, or they feel like they haven't earned it."

"Hm," he said thoughtfully as he plucked the mug from her hands and looked intently at it. "Training wheels," he said simply. "If they need a show, give them a show."

He put the mug back down and slid it across the table to her once more. "When you first decide to tune in and ask, it is already in the process of being done. When you ask, you will it, and then it is, and will remain until its usefulness is no longer required," he said. "You can use my words if it helps, but the power is in the asking itself."

"I thought you said words didn't really need to be said. It is a belief thing after all," she toyed with the mug in her hands.

This is ridiculous. If it's so easy why not just leave the bubble up, why not just give me a bubble to take around so I don't have to beg for one every time I need it. I'm tired and all his words are getting jumbled in my head.

"Danny, I can't," she mumbled, "I just want the cozy corner back, please." She let go of the mug and leaned back in her chair. The edges of her vision were blurring, yet she kept fighting to keep a level head. "To you," she pointed to Daniel, "or to the higher powers listening, please give me the safety and peace of mind I need to get through the rest of this outing. Make the corner a sacred space once more."

Last edited:
Daniel nodded, noting the use of the old nickname Lauren had given him. "Okay," he relented. It's not like it had been any easier for him to grasp when he had first learned how to invoke a space. He had driven Olivia nuts with his constant questions and refusal to believe it could be that easy.

Until one day, it was. And once it was, he couldn't understand why it had been such a big deal. It had been the fundamental moment when he had finally begun to claim his own power. That even one such as he was part of a bigger design, an active participant.

He pulled his sleeves up a bit to show nothing was hidden, taking it all so seriously that there was no question he was hamming it up for her. Then he placed his hands next to each other, palm down, as far as he could comfortably reach above the table. Then he brought them down and around until they were cupped on the surface of the table, closing the circle he had just inscribed in the air.

As he traced the circle, the volume went down and down and down in increments, the vibrancy with which the emotions of those around them could be perceived lessened, until it was just a hushed whisper in their own little cozy bubble in the corner. Even the barista completely forgot about them, as if they had stepped out of her reality for a moment.

"Thank you," she moved her cup out of the way and laid her head on her arm that was now resting on the table. Just for a little bit, no nap, just closing my eyes. I just need a couple of minutes.

"Sorry for being so, stubborn I suppose," she took a deep breath, "On top of the nightmares which we seem to have fixed, I have been having random headaches and like --I don't know-- flashbacks? Like I'm watching someone else's life from their perspective, but when I finally get my head level again I cannot remember anything no matter how hard I try."

Logan lifted her head and rested her chin in her hand so that she would be more upright and could actually look at him while she was talking to him. When she mentioned the flashbacks she was sure to leave out that being around him brought up feelings that felt too old for her to possess. Earlier, she had told him that he wasn't alone in feeling awkward around the other person, but she had avoided going into detail. Whenever she addressed him by name she tried to make sure she didn't give him a nickname, and the last time she spoke to him she knew she messed that up. However, he didn't ask any questions, so maybe it wasn't as meaningful as she thought it was.

Daniel watched as Logan put her head down on the table. It made sense that a short nap wouldn't be the equivalent of a good night's sleep. Her description of the headaches and flashbacks sounded odd. He made a note to take a more thorough look at her energy field when they had a moment.

"The nightmares haven't been fixed," he said quietly. "Unless you consider my standing guard over you all night 'fixed.'" He leaned his elbows on the table and propped his chin on the back of his clasped hands. "I wouldn't have the focus and energy to do that even if I tried. I need sleep too, you know," he said, not unkindly.

"I never said you couldn't sleep. If things get rough I wake myself up, and then I'll just sit up and calm down before going back to bed," she smiled softly. "Speaking of sleep. Where exactly do you plan on doing that since we haven't exactly figured out the living situation."

Logan rocked her head side to side so her neck would crack as she waited for a response. It wasn't the fact that he was just suddenly going to be in her house all the time that bothered her; it was the fact that this was all happening so fast. Usually, she didn't have to worry about disturbing anyone else while existing in her apartment, but all of the sudden it felt more like it was "their" apartment which was a brand new feeling. Not to mention, he was still a brand new person no matter how fondly they talked to each other or the fond feelings they felt around each other.

"I don't know," he said. "I've never had any reason to stick around one place long term, not since I was a young man. Before... Before things changed."

He looked away and down, shifting in his seat. "Anyway," he said, looking back at Logan. "I guess I can crash on your couch? I need to be nearby in case anything happens...though to be honest with you, I still don't have a clear picture on what's been happening, exactly. I may have to join you in your dreams just to get a good look at whatever's been paying you such regular visits."

After a second he paused and peered at her. "You do have a couch, right?" he asked.

She laughed, "Yes, I have a couch. I know the apartment is a bit messy, but I promise I'll clean it up when we get back home. As for the awkward shifting in your seat, I told you we need to teach you how to lie better, didn't I? It's odd to think that you know so much about me, yet I know so little about you. However, I won't make you tell me anything."

As she smiled across the table at him she realized just how much things were going to change. Not only was she about to begin a new chapter in her life, but she had someone new in it as well. Despite the current situation between them, she had a feeling he was going to be far more important to her than she could ever imagine.

"You're free to join me in my dreams; I just hope you're a fast runner," she let her smile fall and broke the eye contact she had been holding, "I don't know if you'll be as scared as I am. Please just don't tease me about it." She laughed dryly. It was never easy for Logan to let people in anymore, but she had to try to be at least somewhat more inviting. Despite not knowing if she could truly trust the man he had so much information on her that it would be hard for her to lie or fake anything. If anything slid past him it would be on purpose; his attempt at letting her feel less exposed to him.

Daniel gave Logan a sidelong glance as he raised a hand and waved the barista back over. "You sure about wanting me to learn to lie better?" he asked, cocking one brow at her.

The barista saw them, and did a double take and came over. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I actually dumped your drinks, I totally thought you had left but," she looked bewildered, standing right where she had when she'd taken their last order. "Do you...still want them? They're completely on us, I apologize," she said again, placing a hand on Daniel's shoulder.

He didn't move, he just looked at her hand on his shoulder, and then up at Barbara with a very unfriendly expression. She snapped her hand away as if it had just been burnt. "Oh! I'm sorry, I..." she said as she slowly backed away, rubbing her one hand. She then she turned and rushed off to the kitchens as if something was chasing her.

Daniel turned back to Logan and resumed the conversation as if nothing had just happened. "Running? I think I can keep up," he said. "You ready to go?"

"Even if your words lie to me I'll be able to feel the emotions surrounding them, so the lying is more for your benefit. That way you don't have to back out of statements so much," she teased, looking in the direction the barista had gone.

Why did he react so negatively to her touching him? I mean, I wouldn't want a stranger touching me either, but the way he looked at her seemed wild, dangerous even. Maybe he's taking our arrangement too seriously, or maybe I need to be careful just how close I'm willing to get. Although, when we hugged he didn't respond in the same negative way. Sure, he pushed me off, but he didn't look at me with such disdain.

"I'm ready," she offered him a smile, "do you want to grab food on the way home? I don't really feel like eating in anywhere, plus getting take out would allow me to clean the house while we eat."

Daniel grinned and had to admit Logan was right. Even cloaked, she seemed able to see right through him. I just hope nothing she sees scares her too much.... he thought to himself.

"Sure," he said., standing and gesturing toward the door. "Chinese food?"

She nodded, "we can pick it up so you can look at the menu!!" As soon as her feet hit the ground her excitement was visible. "Sorry," she turned to face him, "I'm just hungry, and the Chinese place down the street is amazing."

Logan turned on her heel and made her way to the door, opening it and waiting for him. "I hope you guys have a good rest of the day," she smiled to the people behind the counter.

The people behind the counter did not include Barbara the befuddled barista, but who could blame her. It was close to never that touching someone's shoulder could make you feel as if you'd been burned.

"Okay," he said, following after Logan to the sound of the tinkling bell marking their departure. "Amazing, huh? I look forward to trying it!"

"I mean your world view is probably much broader than mine," she bit the inside of her lip, "But to me it's amazing. The employees are super nice as well, maybe don't throw them a glance like you did that barista. She was out of line, but if they make any physical contact it's just because they're trying to be kind."

The tip of her shoe caught a rock as she stepped and with each step she would kick it further, making a game out of it. With each step she would kick the rock a little further, hoping to not lose track of it as she walked. I wonder if Daniel would want to kick it back and forth as we walk? Maybe if he notices I'm doing it I will ask if he wants to join in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back