Equinox Herba Montis

Knosis

Grumpy Badger
Benefactor
Not an especially noticeable town. The inn is quite nice and the people are kind and gentle. Mostly laid back. What sets this small little town apart, is its history. The High King Victor originally lived here before the wars, and this is what sparked his anger that led him to take the throne. A single grave marker remains from before, where his first wife lays buried under the tree they were married under.

As written by Knosis and Krysis

The pair would journey nearly in silence for most of the rest of the day, occasionally sparking up small talk or stopping from time to time to stretch their legs and give their rumps a rest from the hard riding on the silver warpony. The night would come, and Ruairi had stopped long enough before the sun had set to find a camping area, and a small rabbit to skin and cook for the evening dinner for the pair of them. Esther prepped the vegatables and dried fruit that Ruairi had packed along before the departure. The man insisted on staying up to take the watch while Esther slept, claiming he could doze on the road the next day, however she woke early enough that he could at least get a nap before they needed to get moving.

The morning would come and both Esther and Ruairi shut down the campsite, Esther making double sure that the fire would not provide a hazard to other people in the area. She'd also arrange the gear so that Ruairi easily repacked for the road. They'd continue on their path in much of the same manner as the day before, though the overhead had become a bit cloudy and drear.

The path eventually became a bit slippery as the ground grew soft with mud and clay. Ruairi dismounted the silver mare and guided her along for the rest of the journey, until they came upon a small town. Men and women were heading home for the day, herding children and animals alike to their proper places for the night. There was a watermill turning lazily by the stream, and there was a soft 'clank' of a blacksmith hard at work. Besides its history, there was no signficiant qualities for this place except it was under the direct protection of their father.

"Well. We're here." Ruairi said.

"It's too late to see anything. Can we stay in the inn?" Esther asked, sliding down from the mare to stretch and walk for a bit. She had thought to bring money, as well as a few baubles that she wouldn't mind parting with if things got dire, so paying for a week in a common inn shouldn't be a problem.

However, staying in whatever residence that might technically belong to their father would be like sending up a flag saying, 'Here we are!'. So pretending to just be visiting and passing through was likely the best option. Assuming that Rauiri wouldn't be recognized, and why would he be? As far as Esther knew, he hadn't been back 'home' since he the war ended, more than two decades ago.

The man nodded quietly and headed towards the inn that was on the far section of the town. He took the warpony to the stables, first though, and paid the hand to handle her properly, taking the bags and personal belongings off and slinging the pouches over his broad shoulders.

"Place hasn't changed much.." He uttered as they headed towards the front of the inn from the stables. "Despite it all having been burned down the last time I was here, it was rebuilt pretty much how I remembered it."

"So there was a battle fought here?" She prompted as gently as she could as she accepted her share of the load to carry into the building. Gazing attentively at Ruairi, she hardly noticed anyone else. They were just peasants anyway, not really important in the grand scheme of things. All of them together barely made a chip in game, after all.

Ruairi's expression seemed far off. "Yes. And no." He said quietly. "The last time I was in this town, I was only a child. But the memories of that day stuck to me well enough. This was before the two kingdoms were united by our father, and there was constant war and bandit raids. Things that a girl like you have never had to worry about." He said. "Some noble was raiding the town. Father was trying to get our family out secretly, and well.. We were caught, and then father fought back best he could, and broke the young lord's nose." Ruairi paused for a bit.

"So the young lord killed my mother."

He guided the girl into the inn. The keeper, an chubby, elderly woman with white hair, looked up at the pair of them cheerfully. "We'd like a room, please." Ruairi said, placing a pouch of coins down on the counter. A key was passed and she gave direction to the room.

"You didn't have to pay, Ruairi. I brought money for exactly this reason." Esther scolded gently when they went out of earshot of the innkeeper. "I'll repay you, but you must be honest about how much you gave her. I won't have you wasting your coin on a trip I demanded."

It gave her an excuse to think about what he had told her rather than replying immediately about the situation that had sparked the war. Once they reached the room and they could put down their luggage, she faced her half-brother directly, "You were just a child then. I imagine seeing your father fight was horrifying. And the rest even more so. Who set fire to the town? Father or the young lord's men?"

The elder man looked down at his half sister with a slight twinkle in his eye. "Well, I paid fully expecting you to pay me back later. But there are only a few women your age that would pay for a room for a man, one being royals, the other being nobles, and the other whores." He chuckled. "Now I'm pretty sure you don't want them knowing who you are, so that eliminates royals and nobles..." He left the implication to her imagination.

But as the story reverted back to his past the man merely sighed and sat on the chair. "Seeing my father fight wasn't so horrifying. In fact, I never thought father had fight in him at all until that moment. But.. You're right about the rest.." He paused and folded his arms across his chest. "It was the young lord's men who set the town ablaze after my mother was killed. To set an example of what were to happen should any 'peasant' ever try to cross swords with a noblemen ever again." He turned to look at Esther and smirked slightly. "And that's what got your father started into the war. His hatred for the injustice just because someone wasn't born lucky. Everyone needed to be held accountable for their crimes."

She nodded in acceptance of his point, the lack of needing to have their cover blown. Esther pulled the pouch of coin she had from her bodice and handed to Ruairi then, "So this issue won't come up again, you had better hold on to the lion's share. I'll just keep a few coins for incidental things I might want."

Then she was moving around the room, scooting the chair and table back into the corner so there would be room in the middle of the floor to spread out the bedrolls. They needed a little airing anyway, and they would make good padding for sleeping on the floor.

"Sometimes I worry that we, all of us, have that same rage in us. The anger that stormed four countries and brought them to their knees. When I think about that, sometimes I wonder if it is better for the children of Victor Martel to not fall in love at all." She didn't mention her temper, sure that Ruairi remembered her tantrums when she was younger.

As Written by Krysis and Knosis

The man raised a brow inquisitively at the younger sibling. "I don't think that is something you have to worry about, much less ponder about for yourself. You were born with part of Victor in your blood, but you had your mother's blood and teachings to temper and curve it. You may have the stubborness and the temper, but nothing like I do.." He murmured.

"I had no mother to curve the temper, and I was a child of a war. I knew nothing but fighting, surviving and loss for a good part of my life. Anger got me through it half the time. And you wonder why an old man like me doesn't have a nice wife to be by my side at night. Maybe I wouldn't be such a grouchy bastard half the time." He joked.

"Hmm. I just guessed that you are in an odd position and no one knows what rank would be appropriate to match you to. Born a commoner, and yet, son to a king. I don't think they ever even saddled you with a title, so that adds to the confusion." Esther pulled back the covers on the bed to check for bugs before she gave a nod of satisfaction and put the blankets back in place, though not as neatly as before.

"Dinner first, or did you want to get washed up?" the princess smiled cheerfully at Ruairi then, clasping her hands behind her back. Her mother's teachings had not quenched her temper, just redirected it, but that wasn't something that she felt the need to tell her half-brother.

The man's jaw clenched at Esther's assessment. He stood back up and placed down his sword beside the chair. "I figure I need to wash first. I'll be back in a bit.." He muttered, grabbing his sachel of his supplies.

Esther nodded gravely and gave a little shrug at Ruairi's bitterness. She waited until he left before adding, "You never asked for a title either, did you. Oh well."

By the time the older man came back, Esther had changed clothes and hung up what she had been wearing to give it a good brushing. The bedrolls were still airing, but she had also pulled out what she expected her half-brother to need, of the things he hadn't taken with him, and arranged them neatly on the bed. When she heard the door, she didn't look to be sure it was him as she offered, "If you hang up your traveling clothes, I'll brush them for you. Might as well, since I've already started on my own."

The deep barrel-chested chuckle resounded behind the girl. "No need. They'll need a full washing. Got more mud on me than you did when I had to help Gealach down the path. I'll wash them in the morning." He said. He tossed the dirty clothes to the side, already dressed in cleaner, simple clothes. "I think that is one thing I don't miss about this place." He said. "How wet it always seems to be here... Though, I guess I prefer the wet than the bitter cold to the north of here.."

He pulled on his belt and looked to the girl. "I can go get food and bring it back to the room, or we can go sit in the common room should you wish. I don't think we'll find much in the way of entertainment either way, as I think we're the only guests in town right now."

"I'd think that you'd want a little space from me. I mean, too much togetherness and even the best of friends start to snap and snarl. Siblings have a bit of a head start on that. So I was going to eat in the common room, and maybe read a little where the light is good. You are welcome to join me, or not, as pleases you, dear brother." Esther was a little muffled now and then as she pulled on something decent over the sleeping shift she had been doing chores in, in preparation of going back into the public eye.

The man raised a brow. "As much as normal siblings snap and snarl, I doubt we have that type of connection." The man said. "Besides that, its only dinner to speak of, then bed. And then you can go out on your own tomorrow should you desire. But should you decide you would rather not my company, then I shall stay here." He said, plopping back down on the floor.

"Should you need me, you know where to find me."

"Your company is ever welcome, brother-mine, and if I can not find you, I will assume you have found something, or someone, to pass the time with. And for goodness sakes, there is a chair, so you don't have to sit on the floor." Esther grinned down at Ruairi and would kiss his cheek before tugging at his arm in a playful manner.

"Shall I bring you some dinner so you can get some sleep? Please, let me know how I can make you more comfortable. You've gone so far out of your way for me, it is the least I can do." She seemed to be enjoying trying to get him off of the floor though, like a puppy tugging on a bigger dog.

The man playfully rolled his eyes as his sister attempted to pick him up from the floor. "You know, its my job to make sure the princess is safe and comfortable. Not the other way around." He smirked slightly. "Only reason I'm not going to go get your dinner and tell them to provide their finest for m'lady, is because you requested not to be discovered as a princess. Your father would still skin me alive to find out that I'm allowing you the option of eating alone at your age.." He sighed.

He then gave a playful grin and pulled Esther down on top of him and began to tickle her, as he use to do in the old days. "Besides. All scruffy dog like me is best on the floor. And I'm quite comfortable as it is." He said as he stopped tickling her and wrapped his arms around the smaller girl in a bear hug. "I'm fine, Esther. I did this for you. I probably won't get to do this much longer.."

"Maybe I am just grateful for your care and want to show how much I value you, Rua--!" Esther pouted a bit as she started to respond, and then she was being dragged down and tickled. It made her shriek and squirm with laughter, without a thought for what the people in the other rooms might think about the sounds.

Then she was breathless and giggling as she was hugged, and returned the embrace. It took her a few tries to be able to swallow back the laughter and respond, "Even when we're both married and pawns of the throne, I'll still beg you to take me on these adventures, Ruairi. This is as close to freedom as I ever get, and I have no intention of ever giving it up."

"It depends. Your adventure may begin with you trying to find me as a homeless man in one of the villages after your brother takes the throne." He sighed. "But, until I'm too old or dead, I'll keep taking you out on them." He promised, as he had time and time again to the girl and her younger siblings.

"But.. I am afraid our worlds will change when Elan takes the throne." He said. "But that is beside the point. You need to eat. Go on now, or else you'll have to go hungry tonight."

"Elan doesn't hate you, Ruairi. You will ever have a place in my household regardless of what he does, anyway." Esther sighed too, letting her head rest on Ruairi's shoulder for a moment before she slowly got up.

"If you plan to fall asleep before I get back, please take the bed so I won't trip over you in the dark. After being awake so much last night, you need it more than I do anyway."

"I know Elan doesn't hate me." The man watched the younger girl get up. "But there are those in the kingdom that think I am a reminder of what can happen if someone doesn't keep watch over the commoners. I am the slap in the face to that fact, and even though your family has tried to qwell that thought process.. I stink of a war that ended their rule." He said, standing himself. "That is why the other kingdoms only supported the rule of a 'royal' born child, and not me to succeed to the throne, and because of the.. relation between the high king and I, he didn't push the issue. No.. I think they plan to get rid of me as soon as they can, with or without Elan's consent, and because most view him as a weak heir.. He'll become a puppet for whoever has the strongest hold of the political side."

He shook his head. "I'll make sure to be out of the way for when you return. I'm never comfortable on those beds anyway.." He sighed.
Esther continued to smile as she slipped out of the room and down the hall. It was starting to feel forced by the stairs though, so she paused where no one could see her face before she saw them coming. A silent sigh left her lungs as she rubbed at her aching face. As much as she loved her half-brother, she was tired of putting on a happy face for him.

It was exhausting trying to haul him out of his dour moods. In fact, she wasn't sure he had any mood better than dour with flashes of humor anymore. Not even in the land of his birth did he let down his guard enough to find a willing woman, or a moment of entertainment.

Oh well. She had her book to provide a reason for not talking to anyone, even if she couldn't actually read it in the chancy light. The common room was lively in a quiet sort of way with the coming and going of the simple folk that lived in the town, and that was entertaining in its own right. So what if she had to keep her head bowed t avoid meeting any gazes after placing her order.

One dinner for herself at a lonely table, and the other for the man she traveled with. When the waitress asked if Ruairi was her husband, Esther had to hide a wicked smile behind one hand. With a scandalized giggle, she answered, "Oh no, he is my lonely bachelor brother. Very lonely."

She even managed to give an innocent blink and pretend ignorance at the wolfish expression that crossed the girl's face. If that didn't improve the man's mood, Esther didn't think anything would.

---

Ruairi had taken up to laying on the floor, his head propped by one of the bags he had brought in from the horse and the light of a dim lantern beside him. He was fully emerged into the leather bound book that he happened to lift from his room before leaving on this quest with Esther, his stormy hues distanced as he took in the details of the thin parchment.

A lonely man. Traveling with a girl in fine clothes that claims to be his sister. Either it is a scam, or an opportunity, and with nothing left to loose, Anke Haas decided that it was worth a shot. After all, what was the worst that could happen? He could get angry and throw her out of his room. Maybe he could convince the innkeeper to fire her, but she doubted it. After all, he couldn't hire anyone to work as cheaply as 'family'.

Carrying a tray loaded with a slice of stolen (a fruity bread rolled in butter and honey) she had managed to sneak as well as the bowl of stew and hunk of bread that had been ordered, the comely lass knocked upon the specified door.

It took a moment for the man to pull himself from the book to realize that someone had knocked at all. Esther must of sent food finally, he thought. Slowly he stood from his make-shift bed and reached where he had hidden the gold pouch, slipping a few coins out and hid the pouch once again before calling, "Come on in."

Anke let herself in at that invitation, though she did not move to set the tray down. She just stepped to one side of the door and closed it as she gave an inviting smile. "Dinner for the gentleman. Your sister said you'd be hungry and maybe in the mood for company."

The man turned with a slightly raised brow, looking the girl up and down for a moment. The man had inherited many of his father's traits, for better or worse. It use to be that occasionally Ruairi was mistaken for his father at times, although it was quickly backtracked when Victor entered the scene. Even when they had just been commoners in the battlefield, the two of them seemed to have an air of dignity about them, although Victor more so than his son.

Still, he settled a gentle smile on his face and mentally sighed. His sister was meddling again, it seemed. And he had to be the one to clean it up. "Ah, yes." He said casually. "Well, I hadn't expected company tonight, otherwise I would have been more presentable. I apologize, m'lady." He bowed his head in a slight gesture, trying to flatter the young waitress. Hopefully if he could butter her up a bit, he could turn her away without risking his food being poisoned in the future.

"Oh. Well. If you change your mind, I'm always about in the kitchen or the common room." The young woman seemed a little disappointed, but not upset or surprised. With a wistful look she'd place the tray where ever Ruairi might indicate that he wanted it. She didn't even wait for the coins, embarrassed enough that she just wanted to be gone from his sight.

'Oh, here we go again..' He thought as he rushed over to the waitress. He was already forging plans to make Esther pay for this. He immediately grabbed for her hand. "M'lady, please wait! I think you've misunderstood me." He said quietly, concern on his face. "I had not expected company, that is true. But it doesn't mean I can't enjoy your company for a time." Esther would rue this night, he thought. "If you could be so kind, would you stay and have dinner with me?"

"I'm no one's lady, sir. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't toy with my expectations though. If you are not interested, that's perfectly fine." Anke pulled her hand away quickly, blushing a bit as she continued for the door. She wouldn't leave just yet, though she would have her hand on the latch.

She sighed and let her shoulders sag before she explained further. Anke figured he deserved to know the reasons, since was being so nice about his refusal. "I'm clumsy at this sort of thing because it doesn't happen very often. I'm a young widow in a town where I know every face, and every man knows my story. I have no fortune, no future to speak of, so when a single man comes to stay a night-- No point in two people being lonely every night, is there?"

The man continued to follow her, although he stopped a few steps away when he listened to her explanation. His expression soften slightly, but it wasn't out of pity. It was of understanding. He moved closer and placed his hand on hers once again, but his free hand would gently pull her chin up to look him directly in the eyes as he spoke.

He was glad he had the dignity to not blush along side her. She was a pretty little thing, even if her fortune was ill-fated. "I didn't mean to toy with your expectations. I apologize for that." He said quietly, his voice warm and soothing. "I too am a bit clumsy at this sort of thing, and I hope you do forgive me. I am a man who gave his heart to duty instead of allowing myself to love another a long time ago." He explained. "And this duty is why I have walked a lonely path all of my life." His blue hues looked at her genuinely, almost as if he were hoping his words made sense to the poor lass.

"I did not mean to mar your honor, and I did not mean to disgrace you. I hope you can forgive me, but I can understand if you cannot. So I will leave it up to you. I ask again, in earnest, will you have dinner with me at the very least?" He pulled away slightly to give her the option of leaving if she wanted.

Anke's own blue eyes stayed downcast at first when he tilted her chin up, but soon she was looking at him. She worked hard to keep her expression just pleasant and not to stare like a drowning woman at the nearest bit of shore. "When a man wants to do a thing he knows will hurt those closest to him, he calls it duty. Honor. Really it is just your choice about what is important to you. I understand all too well."

She tugged at his wrist to try to get him to let go of her chin, glad when he backed off, "I'll not dine with you, sir. I've had my evening meal already and only brought up enough for you on the tray. Good night, sir. Ring, if you want anything else." With that Anke indicated a bell pull in the corner before she would make her exit, her heart aching with how much Ruairi reminded her of the husband that went off to die as a soldier.

The man waited a good few minutes before he dared moved after the woman left, and only then did he allow himself a sigh and to rub his weary face. Women were confusing and complicated creatures and, although he occasionally missed the company, he was glad he had not settled down in the long run. He went to check on his dinner, and picked up the stollen and nibbled it slightly before deciding he wasn't hungry after all. He would have to have words with Esther.

He grumbled to himself as he found himself to his bag-pillow and picked up the book again, losing himself back in its pages.

As Written by Nemo and Knosis

The man slowly slumped down on the stool, hand running over his tired eyes. The night Esther had played her cruel joke, she had come in late. Most likely hoping he had given up and fallen asleep before she showed up in order to avoid scolding. She had been wrong of course, but Ruairi had not scolded the child. Not verbally, at any rate. It was the one benefit of having his father's eyes. But ever since, Esther had been a tad aloof, and Ruairi watched her like a hawk.

The night prior, after he ensured Esther was in for the evening, he found an uneasy rest himself. Nightmares plagued him, and although he had the mind enough to realize they were simply visions in his sleep, it still left him unsettled. Giving up on finding rest, he had ventured into the tavern once the sun was up and he heard the workers start up for the day.

He was handed a bit of bread and cheese with some honey, and a mug of ale to wash it down. He paid for it and chewed on the rough crust as he mused over what needed to be done for the day.

Adrian had thought long and hard on how he would approach Ruairi in his ride to Herba Montis, the manner in which he would initiate the extraction. The nature of this assignment was so different from anything he'd encountered before. There was no strict 'foe' here - no bounty he was pursuing, no misbegotten pack of outlaws in need of the King's justice. He was, in some bizzare corruption of the old cliche, a knight sent to rescue a princess ... a princess who, it would seem, had willingly allowed herself to be captured by none other than one of the most respected warriors in the land. Ruari was the dragon guarding the damsel. Arkos was hardly sure if a grown wyrm could be any more deadly than the king's bastard son...

He'd thought out a dozen plans. Disguises he could wear. Ruses and lies. He considered trying to sneak past Ruairi to get to the princess directly. If he could somehow incapacitate the warrior. Reason with him...

Each plan was dismissed long before he set foot in Herba Montis. Adrian was a Solarian: hand of the law, defender of the Celestial Court and the First Charter. Lies, facades, manipulation - these were the weapons of a rogue or a coward, not a knight. He would approach the conflict with honesty and courage and would triumph or fail by the strength of his will.

He walked into the tavern in his cuir bouilli, cloak wrapped around his shoulders, sword at his hip. His head was bare and the sandy blonde locks twirled above fierce blue eyes deadset on the mass of muscle eating at a nearby table. The height, age, beard, and the striking silver-grey eyes. There could be no mistaking who it was. The knight approached slow and careful, halting some ten feet from the warrior.

"Ruairi Martel," his voice was low, quiet enough to avoid eavesdropping but firm enough to carry the distance between them, "son of the High King Victor Martel. Veteran of the Battle of Tornost, Stavoren, Hockley and Lyria, Guardian of the Royal Family." His brows furrowed. "Your deeds are many. Few know your name."

As the door opened, the elder man had not paid the newcomer any mind. It was morning, and perhaps he was not the only one who had a sleepless night. But the slow and steady footfall that came directly towards him quickly changed that assumption. He merely continued eating as the man approached, studying the knight without looking at him.

He placed the bread down as his name was called, and his many titles to go with it. He hated being reminded of all the conquests he had been part of in the wars long gone. He wiped his lips, knocked a few bits of crumbs from his beard before turning slightly to gaze with cold steel hues at the knight in question.

He was from his father's court, that was evident enough. And he could guess the reasons why he was here, although his father had never sent a knight after the pair in the past. He grunted slightly, and leaned back in his chair. This knight was young. Younger than most in his father's court, and doubtful he had actually seen the wars he had mentioned, much less been born for it. Though, his father wouldn't have sent him if he wasn't capable.

After a long pause between Adrian's words, Ruairi finally spoke. "Aye. A very few. Less so who can put a face to the name." He said, looking relaxed. Inside, he was already plotting. Esther was still asleep in her room most likely. The elder man was still in between the knight and Esther, and if need be, he could make the dash to grab her and escape.

"You've come a long way from home. Must surely be important, so I'll spare you the frivolity of introduction." He waived his hand on the way to grab the ale. "What is it?"

"I've come to return the both of you home," the knight stated, "yourself and the princess are to accompany me back to Solstice and hold audience with your father."

Adrian kept careful watch on Ruairi's every motion - the positioning of his hands, any tension in his shoulders that would suggest movement. He wasn't about to underestimate the warrior, not with his reputation. A small voice in the back of his head reminded the knight that he had the king's explicit permission to subdue Ruairi by force, if need be ... or, at the end of all recourse ... kill him.

He buried the thought. This was the son of a king, an ally of the realm. Surely there would be no need for violence.

"I trust her highness is safe and well?" He looked up at the stairs leading up to the rooms. It was early yet. Probably still asleep in her room.

Ruairi had figured as much, but still raised a brow in mock shock. "We've both to return home? That's unusual. Has something happened to warrent our retrieval? And with word of a knight at that. Something must surely be serious."

The man shrugged slightly. "Oh, aye. She's safe. Though, unless there is a need to leave immediately, I wouldn't wake her. She's a bit of a grouch in the morning." He kept his hand on his mug of ale, looking the knight up and down. "Relax, you look as though you're about to be attacked by an angry warger." He gestured to the seat beside him. "We'd only been gone for a short while, at least explain whats happening."

"Your father, the High King, requests your return," Adrian replied cooly, "I am not sure that he needs a reason, sir."

The knight eyed the chair. He remembered King Martel's words with his wife. Cunning as a fox. If this was a ploy, he didn't want to play into Ruairi's hand, but if it was a genuine gesture, he want to appear too confrontational...

"Thank you, but I would prefer to stand," he kept his hand on his belt beneath his cloak, but did his best to relax his stiffened posture. "Perhaps it would be best if we both wait here until the princess comes down." Adrian would prefer to leave as soon as possible, but there wasn't so much urgency that Esther couldn't get a full night's sleep.

Ruairi grunted slightly. "He has his reasons, I suppose." Ruairi muttered, taking a swallow from the worn mug. Ruairi was beginning to suspect that the orders were more towards bringing Esther home at least. Even if the knight had tried to relax his posture, it was evident he had little trust for the old warrior. His father had warned him of his son at least.

It only confirmed a bit more when the young knight declined his offer. "Hm. Very well. I suppose its a long ride home." He quietly continued to eat his breakfast in front of Adrian. "Still, I would suspect that you'll draw more attention to our situation than you already have, standing as you are. Esther may take some time to wake on her own. Just my own thoughts.." He said between mouthfuls of bread. "Not like you're not a bloody beacon of someone of import is here anyway.." He grumbled a bit quieter.

He paused and watched Ruairi eat. The knight glanced over his shoulder at the inkeeper behind the bar who was already giving him a suspicious look.

Adrian bit the inside of his lip. He took the chair opposite Ruairi - not the one next to him, as was offered - spacing himself a bit from the woodtop.

'Long ride home'. Ruairi was putting up a pretense of cooperation at the very least. The knight sat still and silent across the warrior, still waiting, still watching for any sudden movement or surprises. He considered how the man might fling the table up at his face, and kept one boot on the furniture's support, just in case...

"Better." The old man admitted. "We'll at least pass as friends." He smiled a warm smile at the knight before waving down the barmaid. "My friend here would like to have some food as well." He said as she came into earshot. He passed her the coin and she scuttled off swiftly before the knight could protest.

She returned a short bit later with a similar food setup as Ruairi. The old man thanked the woman and she went back to her tasks. "Esther wanted some time away from the castle, said the weather was right and the halls were a bit too dusty for her. So I figured it would be no harm to take her out for a while. She's occasionally left the castle under my supervision for as long as she's let go of her mother's dress." He chuckled softly. "Those books she stuffs her nose in has her head filled with adventures.."

Adrian looked down at the food on the table. He didn't even acknowledge the ale, but picked up a long slender knife and lathered a slice of bread with some honey.

"Your royal father will be relieved to hear it," the knight replied, "I believe the queen suspected that Esther may have been trying to escape an undesirable arrangement." He lifted the bread to his mouth. "That this is just a... vacation... of sorts will doubtless ease their worries."

He took a bite, still watching Ruari. The knife twirled deftly between his fingers, giving an illusion of calm. If the warrior was watching closely, he would see the blade pass between his thumb and index finger with each pass - ready to be thrown at a moment's notice.

Ruairi was watching, as he always did, but instead went back to focusing on his breakfast. He didn't need to keep constant eye contact with the wet-behind-the-ears pup to know that he still didn't trust him. He had to let him get into that sense of ease himself.

The older man scoffed at the accusation. "Although it isn't my duty to keep in the know about the activities of the royal family, I would think the king would have issued orders to prevent such a happening with his daughter in a critical time. Knowing the Princess's habit of wandering off, I would have not have taken her request for her outing if I had known she had duties to uphold."

Ruairi bit into the cheese he had sliced off and chewed it thoughtfully. "My duty is to my King and his family. My loyalty has always been to my father."

Adrian nodded. He seemed truthful enough, and his track record certainly left no room to doubt where Ruairi's loyalties lay. He was a war hero: a seasoned soldier and veteran of countless campaigns. He'd spilled blood for his country. His family.

"I do not question your loyalty, sir," Adrian replied. But your father does. Questions something about you, at least. The knight sincerely hoped that his king had the wrong idea about Ruairi. Every indication suggested that Ruari was a patriot. Friendly. Trustworthy.

"I'm confident this is an accident. A mishap of circumstance and poor timing." He thumbed another piece of bread into his mouth. He watched Ruairi's eyes.

The king does not trust him, he reminded himself, and I serve the king.

Back