We're All Mad Here Here We Are!

Quartz scoops up Chesh and whisks her away to the kitchen, setting her on the island in the middle. "Of course, I absolutely love sweets! What were you thinking?" She asks, crouching and rummaging through cabinets, pulling out various ingredients. She then pulls a small box off the fridge and hands it to Chesh. "Here, it was my grandma's. My parents left it with me. Look through and see what you like and we can make it!" She then returns to looking for ingredients, humming to herself as she does so. Henry scuttles around on the ceiling, occasionally dropping down on his web in front of Chesh to nuzzle her. Quartz was happy that Henry loved Chesh. Henry is her best judge of character; if he doesn't like someone it's a no-go.

@Lish

Chesh wasn't as jumpy this time, as Quartz grabbed her and ran to the kitchen, setting her down on the island. Cheshire forced her muscles to relax soon after being put down, and smiled at Q. "I thought I told you to warn me next time," she said lightheartedly. It was simply her teasing her friend, but she did kind of wish Q had told her before she had done that. At least Chesh hadn't panicked this time and had gotten control over her reflexes to kick Quartz in the face pretty quickly. It wasn't that she wanted to kick Quartz in the face- her body just told her that she was in immediate danger and needed to get out of the hands of the person who had scooped her up. Which wasn't true- Chesh trusted Quartz. She took the box from Q, letting her legs dangle over the side of the island while she flipped through the recipes. She found a recipe for a chocolate lava cake. "Ooh, I love these!!! They're really good with ice cream." She handed the paper to Quartz. "Wanna try this? Have you made them before?"

@JexMix so sorry for taking so long

Quartz winces at her mistake. "Shoot, I'm sorry. I uh... don't see people much." She stands and takes the little index card from Chesh, her eyes lighting up as soon as she saw the name. "I love to make this! It's amazing!" She squeals and instantly grabs all the ingredients needed, then grabs an apron off of a hook in the wall and puts it on with a smile. The pattern on it was that of different old cars and trucks, like from the early 1900s-1960s. She rummages through a cabinet for a second and pulls out two more, handing one to Chesh and putting the other on Henry, who blinks happily. "Alright, let's do this!"

@Lish It's cool!

"No, it's totally fine," Chesh replied with a little laugh. She really wasn't fazed by this. "Don't worry about it, Q." Chesh took the apron from Quartz, smiling and thanking her. She didn't need an apron, of course- she would be fine getting dirty in this instance. She pulled the apron over her head, tying it behind her back. She couldn't help but smile as Quartz tied an extra apron onto Henry as well. Of course. He was going to help them. "Uhh okay, so the recipe says..." Chesh and Quartz got to work, but Chesh decided to make conversation while they worked on their chocolately treats. "Do you bake a lot?"

@JexMix Yes, I'm okay. Thanks for asking! I'm so sorry my replies have been slow, irl has been busy lately and esp on the weekends, when i have less time to be on the internet. Thank you for continuing to be patient with me <3

Quartz gets to work, pulling out various bowls, measuring cups, whisks, etc. "That I do. It's one of my favorite pastimes, besides reading. Do you?" She returns the question as she measures and pours the flour, sugar, etc. into the bowl. "Here, combine the wet ingredients, make sure to mix them well." She passes Chesh a bowl and the milk, eggs, etc. as well as measuring tools and a whisk. Quartz hummed to herself, content to be baking. It's even better to bake with a friend, though.

@Lish It's no problem! I know how life can be! <3

"Gladly," Chesh smiled, measuring out the ingredients and whisking them together. "No, not really. Other people are just do good at it so I eat their food. But I do like baking, so that's why I asked today," she explained as she finished stirring, then scooting closer to her friend for the next instructions as they worked. "What would you say is your favorite thing to bake?"

@JexMix

Quartz ponders the question for a moment. "I can't say I really have a favorite, honestly. Here- combine the wet and dry and mix." She hands the dry bowl over to Chesh and goes to get the cake pan. When she opens the cabinet, an avalanche of pans and baking sheets and pots comes raining down on Quartz, sending her to the ground with a bunch of loud clattering and a screech. She sits there stunned for a moment, then laughs at herself and looks over at Chesh. "Avalanche!!" She exclaims, rolling her eyes. "Oh, the cake pan!" She picks up a pan next to her with a smile.

@Lish

Chesh started stirring like Quartz had instructed, and then- well, it all happened so fast, the next part. As Quartz opened the door, the pans and pots and all other metal stuff came rushing at Quartz. Chesh poofed, appearing in front of Quartz in her cat form right as the pans were about to hit her new friend in two purple puffs of smoke that dissolved fairly quickly. The pans never hit either Quartz or Cheshire Cat, strangely floating to the side right as it was about to hit Chesh. Her cat form smirked and curled its pink and purple bushy tail above her. "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I can do that. You okay?" She knew that Quartz was okay, but she asked anyway. In the same way that she had before, she poofed back to the bowl she was stirring, in her human form again.

@JexMix

Quartz just sits there for a moment, stunned. "I- yeah. I'm fine. How did you do that?" She dusts herself off and grabs the floating cake pan, bringing it over to where Chesh was stirring. "That was nuts. It happens quite frequently though. Maybe I need to reorganize..." She trails off as Chesh finishes, helping her pour it into the pan then slide it into the oven. "Alright, now we wait!" A devious plot forms in her mind and she grabs a handful of flour, throwing it at Chesh. The flour explodes all over, covering both Chesh and the counters and floor around her. "Hah, gotcha!"

@Lish

Chesh laughed a little- Q was just so surprised. Maybe she should have warned her or something. "I've just always been able to do it. Human-" she spread her arms- "-cat-" she changed forms, and then back. "Human. And weird things seem to happen when I'm in my cat form. Like everything just wants to go my way." She giggled a little. "For all the other places of the house being so organized, that one cabinet is the exception." It was true- in the library, Quartz had known exactly where the book she wanted to give to Chesh had been, and every book seemed in its exact place. But that one avalanche had definitely pointed out her organization had some weak spots. "Now we wait," Chesh echoed as she watched the pan being slid into the oven. Flour was flown her way before she could bring her arms up. She giggled and grabbed a bigger handful of flour than Quartz did, not really thinking about the potential gigantic mess they would have to clean up. She tossed the flour at Quartz, aiming for her chest. If it hit her skin, it wouldn't make too much of a difference in her complexion. Little squeals came from Chesh during their "battle," sounding a lot like a little girl instead of a grown woman (not that her age could be exactly measured). Chesh slipped on the flour of the floor, losing her balance and knocking both her and Quartz over, giggling on the floor until they couldn't breathe.

@JexMix

Quartz squeals as Chesh covers her in flour then knocks them both down, laughing all the way down. She rests her head on the floor and pats Chesh's. "Aren't cats always supposed to land on their feet?" She teases, playing with the girl's pink hair. Henry comes over to see if they're okay, to which Quartz pats him on the head to reassure him that they are.

@Lish

Chesh giggled. "If they care enough to land on their feet, they will," she joked back, sitting up and brushing flour out of her face. She reaches forward to pat Henry as well. "We're okay," she said. "Somebody here decided to start a flour battle and it did not end well for them," she said, smirking at Q and then getting to her feet. She looked to Quartz, wanting to continue the conversation. "You said something about your grandma? Did you or do you know your family well?"

@JexMix

Quartz rolls her eyes and gets up as well, turning to look at a picture on the wall. "I... don't know who my family is. When I said grandma, I really just meant an old woman who took care of me while I was little. She left her recipe box to me. She's unfortunately gone now. Buried in the backyard. But she showed me the love and compassion my parents didn't." She explains, running a hand across the frame.

@Lish

"Oh," she said. "I never knew my family either, actually. Or maybe I did. I don't remember back that far. To be honest with you, I'm not even sure how long I've been alive, or if it can be measured the way people do here." She paused, getting off track from what she was going to say. "But I do know that sometimes real family is better than family by blood. I bet your grandma loved you." That was worded weird, but it was what she meant. There wasn't really another way to explain it.

@JexMix

Quartz nods in agreement with Chesh's statement about family. Just then, the timer for the cake went off. She rushed to grab oven mitts and pulled the very hot cake out, poking a stick into it to test if it was ready. Thankfully, it was. "And we have made a chocolate lava cake!" She announces, popping it out of the pan and onto a cake plate. "You mentioned you can't measure your age in the way we do. What does that mean?" She questions as she pours the melted chocolate over the treat.

@Lish

Chesh made a little squeal, running through the flowery kitchen with Quartz towards the oven. A deep whiff of the cake- wow. They must have done an amazing job. "Wowee, it smells so good," she gushed, leaning forward to smell the chocolate even deeper. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. "Do we have to wait for it to cool or something? 'Cause it looks like it wants to jump in my belly now," she joked. Mostly. What did she mean when she said about her aging and measuring? Uhhhh... what did she mean when she said that? She cocked her head. "I just... I dunno. I don't remember where I came from. I don't remember growing up or anything- parents, siblings, family. I don't remember any of that. I always remember being like this. The age I am, and how I look. Doing what I do. And I don't even have the perfect grasp on the concept of time. So I'm not even sure if I really exist the way humans do. That sounds really weird when you say it like that," she laughed a little. "...but I think I just age very differently. Or I don't age at all. Or I have just always existed. Or maybe I popped into existence last week. I'm not sure," she shrugged, though it didn't look like she cared very much about the whole conundrum. "It doesn't make any sense, and I'm not sure it's supposed to," she smirked. That was the weird way the world worked sometimes. Sometimes you had to accept that things just don't make sense, and Chesh had accepted that a long time ago.

@JexMix

"Oh." Is all Quartz could say in response. How DOES one respond to that? I mean she doesn't age anymore either (loooong story), but to just... not know where you came from or how you exist? She shakes her head and changes the subject back to the cake. "Yeah, we have to wait about 15 minutes for it to cool before we can eat it. I tried eating one straight out of the oven before, it hurt to eat for a week after that!" She laughs as she remembers ignoring her grandmother's warnings and going right for the cake, only to screech that it was hot. "So anyway, we gotta get the kitchen all clea- HENRY!" She yells, horrified at the now flour-covered spider. He blinks innocently at her as if to say 'What?' "Oh my lord Henry now I have to give you a bath! Whyyyyyy!" The exasperated girl moves to pick him up. "Chesh, you wanna help bathe a spider?"

@Lish

Cheshire giggled at Quartz's story, and then at the flour-covered spider. "It's not his fault- you're the one who threw flour everywhere," she teased Quartz. She gave a little gasp when she was offered the opportunity to bathe a spider. How were you supposed to say no to that? It was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity- to bathe a ginormous spider. She nodded with enthusiasm. "Yes!" This was gonna be so cute. Chesh leaned over and took off his apron, leaving it in the kitchen. "Where are we going to give him a bath?" she asked, looking back up towards Quartz.

@JexMix

Quartz shakes her head in mock disappointment at the spider. "What am I gonna do with you? Oh, upstairs. Follow me!" She carries Henry up the stairs, pausing for a moment to wait for Chesh at the top before continuing on to a specific door. She opens it to reveal a huge bathroom. "This is Henry's bathroom. He's a big boy, so he gets his own tub." She explains, setting him down on the ground and turning on the water.

@Lish

Back