Hidden Among the Trees

They had been driving home from vacation when their car broke down on a cracked and nearly forgotten backroad. And now they were stranded, and did not even know where they were. They had been driving along the border of two nations, and took a wrong turn, and who knew what side of the border they were on. In trying to find their way, they ended up on this road that looked as if it had not seen a car since cars were pulled by horses, and the only thing around them was a green, shining forest.

For a few hours, Dark and Tarot waited for another car to pass by, but the most Dark saw was a languid rabbit who hopped casually out of the underbrush before noticing the pair and scampering off. Tarot didn't notice the rabbit at all, but she had never seen anything, ever, and besides, she was a bit preoccupied with the pain in her back and in her abdomen. If anything, she was frustrated that her husband remarked on the rabbit's existence, because she felt he should have been preoccupied too.

After some time, Dark decided that he'd walk into the lush green forest and see if maybe, by some chance, he would run into a hiker hoping to see the sunset from a decent location, or some forest-dwelling hermit, anyone to help the couple get back onto the road. So, for a few moments, Dark and Tarot were separated from one another, because she said that she would stay by the smoking car, but as his footsteps faded, she hurried after him.

The October storms rolled in, as they were want to do, and the drum beat of thunder drowned out the nocturnal orchestra, while the torrential rainfall washed out the stars. What they didn't notice, or at the least, didn't comprehend, was how the entire forest was still so alive when they were long past the time that the trees should have turned colours and shed their leaves.

They walked until the reality of their situation became impossible to ignore, and they hunkered down on the forest floor, wet and exhausted. Tarot was no survivalist, at least, not a forest-based survivalist, having grown up in the Sahara desert, but she knew how to make a fire, and explained the steps to her husband as best as she could in between deep breaths. Not that the fire would remain lit beneath the rain.

Dark, also, was no survivalist, but he did his best to create a shelter for them out of nothing. All they had with them were the clothes on their backs, and a pocketknife. Typically, that was something Dark never carried, but he kept it in his car, mostly because his closest friend once forgot it, and Dark put it into the glove compartment. He brought it with him just in case.

Come daybreak, Dark decided to go back out on a search for someone to lend them aid. He figured that maybe, since it was earlier in the day, there might be someone on the the road, and since the rains had stopped, at least momentarily, his chances of running into a hiker might be higher.

Tarot remained at their makeshift camp, holding her husband's bundled suit jacket, too exhausted to walk with him. She felt rather like Eve after being cast out of Paradise, but at least Eve could see what was in front of her. She hadn't slept, but at the same time, she was more alert than she had been the night before. She could sense something, although she knew not how to name it, or what she sensed, but it made her apprehensive.

Her husband had barely been gone half an hour, when she heard the sound of crunching leaves and snapped branches in the opposite direction from where he left, and she clutched her bundle closer to her body and called out from her seated position, "Is somebody there?"

As he heard someone asking a question, his pointed ears seemed to perk up through his long copper hair, braided down his back until it reached his thigh. His green eyes sparkled with delight as he saw someone, a woman, seated on the ground. "There's no need to be alarmed. I'm not a grizzly bear or anything." The young man looked much more like a young girl, however. He worse a pinstripe dress with a white as snow apron on top of it. In his arms was a basket full of fruit from further in the forest, along with some of the leaves he'd been stepping on, mostly from their still living branches.

"My name is Adatia," He said to console her. People liked to know who they were dealing with, right? Though, he was sure his smallish stature would make her at ease as well. He was easily no more than four feet tall, maybe just a bit more. There wasn't anything scary about a small elf collecting berries, was there?" "Adatia Hortense. It's a pleasure to meet you miss...?"

He stopped talking when he noticed their surroundings a bit more. The woman was carrying a bundle of something close to her, and was clearly in a predicament with the fear he could sense in her. "There's no reason to be scared, miss. These woods are very safe. If not, my father and I wouldn't live here!"

"My name is Tarot," She replied, swallowing. She wasn't a beautiful woman, by any means, with long, messy blonde hair that obscured most of her clothing. Even from her seated position it was clear that she was very tall, with long limbs, "I... don't know where I am. We took the wrong turn, and our car broke down, and..."

She sighed, relieved to hear that the forest they were trapped in wasn't dangerous. That brought some comfort. She could sense... something, unusual about this person across from her, but couldn't place how. She could recognize one thing she found odd, however, and so she asked, "You live here? In the forest?"

"It's nice to meet you Tarot!" Without thinking, he gave a whimsical bow after twirling on his feet. His dress fluttered around him until it fell from the lift of the air. "That's a beautiful name! Are you a diviner, by any chance?" The little Adatia knew about the word 'tarot' was 'tarot cards'. There were all sorts of magical people that lived in the forest, just out of human's sight. Surely, this woman could be the same as him- a magical entity.

Walking closer, Adatia crouched down and held a hand out with a bright smile. "What's wrong? You look rather rough for wear. Do you want to come to my house to take a bath or have a bite to eat? My father won't mind."

"It's just a nickname," Tarot explained, "When I was younger, I was extremely interested in the occult. I guess I still am." She shrugged, but didn't adjust the hair that fell into her face, because she didn't want to remove either hand from the bundle she was holding onto.

"And I... I'm not sure if I should follow you. My husband is... I don't know where he is. He's out looking for someone to help us," she rubbed one end of the bundle she was holding with her thumb, "if I'm not here..."

And beyond that, the thoughts she was wary of articulating: she didn't know if she could trust this person, who had an aura unlike any she had encountered before. She didn't know what their intentions were, what they might do... the situation was rather like a fairytale, and typically in those stories, the kind stranger offering sanctuary had ulterior motives, and she didn't want to end up in an oven.

Adatia had a quizzical expression on his face as he listened to the woman's reasoning for her nickname. Occult? What was the occult? He knew what a cult was, but not the occult. He'd heard about cults from his father, and how dangerous they were. But occult? It wasn't a word in his dictionary, so he had to ask. "This may be a silly question, but what is an occult?"

While Tarot mentioned not knowing where her husband was, Adatia froze slightly. Tarot was married- that wasn't a huge shocker. What was a shocker is that her husband would leave her here alone when she was in such bad shape. If one needed help from getting lost, wouldn't they ask the birds of the forest to help lead them out? Sheltered as he was, he was unaware that not all humans or humanoid creatures could communicate well with animals. That was a skill he'd earned with practice- and a bit of elven magic, too.

Considering Tarot wasn't in the best of shape and Adatia was quite worried she wasn't eating enough while stuck there waiting for her husband's return, the young half-elf walked closer to her, crouched down, and dug some berries out of his basket. "At least eat something. You don't look like you've been eating much... Though that could be the anxiety affecting your pallor."

"Oh, um, the occult is like the supernatural or the paranormal, or the practicing of magick," She explained, and the simplicity of the question took her out of her situation, just for a moment.

Then he moved closer to her, and she remembered. She held the bundle closer to her body, protecting it. She wasn't certain if she should take anything from him. Yes, she was starving, and hadn't been able to replenish her strength from all the work she had done the night before, but... how could she know if he was trustworthy? She had an innate sense that he was harmless, but her brain was trying to override all emotional appeals with logic.

Her stomach rumbled, and she knew that she needed to eat something. Her complexion was more due to the night she had endured than hunger, but eating would be the first step back to health, so, raising her head, she said, "Only if you eat them too, so I know that they aren't poisoned."

Supernatural? Paranormal? Adatia didn't really get those words- they weren't used by most magical folk, at least not the ones he'd met. He'd met people who talked about magic before, though. Unaware if it was something different than what he was thinking she meant, Adatia's squat turned into a sitting position, as he put the basket down to have a free hand to scratch his head. "Sorry, I don't really get it. What counts as supernatural? Isn't everything in nature super?"

Humans really confused the halfling, which was a surprise since he was partially one, even if he'd been raised by his elven father.

"I don't mind eating some, but we can't eat too many, okay? I was planning to make jam with it, so let's try to save some for that." With a bright smile, Adatia took a handful of berries from the basket and popped two in his mouth at once. His hand was full, but he was going to take his time eating the berries he'd snatched. "The fruits that grow in this forest are really something. I can see why mom wanted to settle down here."

"They're very good," She said, cautiously eating the berries with one hand, "I don't think I've had this kind of berry before. And the supernatural is something that can't be attributed to modern scientific explanation."

She yawned, having not slept last night, and absentmindedly bounced the bundle she held, "My husband really likes apple jam with just a bit of pear jam mixed in."

Adatia merely stared in confusion. Modern science wasn't something he'd been taught about, as he was of the magical folk whom could alter scientific facts altogether. He had heard the term 'modern science' by the elder of his elven clan, but that was the most he knew about it. "Can you tell me an example of modern science? I live in these woods, so I don't know much about the outside."

He wasn't lying: he'd grown up in the woods, living in a magic pocket dimension of sort in a tree trunk, where his father ran a general store with Adatia's help. It was a bit like the entrance to a magical world, though there were magic creatures on this side of the tree's trunk as well. Shaking off the thought that he might be 'unscientific', he listened to Tarot mention her husband's favorite jam.

"I never thought of mixing different fruits together for jam...I should try that! I'm always looking for new and interesting recipes I can make. Sometimes I sell them to dad's customers, and other times I just share snacks I make with the kids in the village."

"Oh, well... vaccinations, I guess. And ultrasounds. And weather maps and satellites. I guess." She said, not really sure what examples to give. She had never had to explain these things to anyone before, and it amazed her to meet someone so removed from what she percieved to be the modern world.

Her enthralled reverie, however, was cut short when the bundle in her arms let out a piercing wail that drowned out the birds' songs and the insects' buzz. All of Tarot's attention immediately diverted to it.

Adatia's eyes grew wider with each thing the woman said. Of them, vaccinations, was the one thing Adatia had heard about before. His father said part of why his mother was so ill when she died was she didn't get one of those. This made him miss his mother for a moment. He stared at his feet, still eating some of the berries. But then, a sound struck his ear- a cry that he was sure could break his eardrums if he wasn't lucky.

As Tarot put her attention on the screaming bundle, Adatia scooted closer on the ground, apparently not caring if his dress got dirty. He wanted to know what it was, after all, that was hurting his head. "Is this a human child?" It was a strange question, but he didn't seem to care that he'd asked it in such a way. He just wanted to know... Had he been like this as an infant? Then again, he was half elf, too. He'd dealt with plenty of elf children to know sometimes they're about the same. "If it needs a bottle or baby food, dad sells some at the shop... Do you need me to go get you some?"

Tarot shook her head, "No, I can feed her myself," she said, and proceeded to feed the baby in that uniquely mammalian way. When Adatia got closer, she tensed up, because he was getting nearer to her child.

Still, she spoke casually, "We don't have anything for her with us, besides what physiology provides."

Adatia soon realized he was making the woman uncomfortable when she tensed up, so he stopped moving closer, looking at the baby from an awkward angle- he couldn't help wanting to see the tiny thing, as he found babies cute much like others did. They tended to hurt his ears, though.

"Well if you need anything, whether it be food or cloth diapers, we sell it for a bargain. Baby goods are important, so we try to keep the prices low. Much of it is stuff we make ourselves anyway- like how I make jam to sell. We're fairly self-sufficient ourselves, but instead of physiology, we use the bounty of nature."

"I don't have any money," She said, "My husband might... I don't know if he grabbed his wallet before we left the car. We didn't expect to end up... here. And we definitely did not expect to have her so soon." Tarot shrugged, adjusting the suit jacket so the baby's little face was more visible.

"Thank you, though. You're very kind," She smiled a warm, genuine smile, "I'm glad I met you." Tarot was not a beautiful woman, by any means, but when she smiled like that, suddenly it didn't matter.

To Adatia, Tarot was a lovely woman- even if she was afraid of him, which he suspected to be the case, he was happy just watching her. When she explained her concerns about having no money and her husband came up again, the half-elf began to lead himself down a rabbit hole of thoughts. Where could her husband be? The man was the baby's father, wasn't he? She'd mentioned he left to find help... But instead, in Adatia's mind, Tarot found it.

Then, she complimented him. Her words and smile melted a part of his heart- the part that felt she was afraid of him. If she was before, she wasn't anymore. You wouldn't be glad to meet someone scary after all. With pride, he gave a big grin that actually showed off some of his minor masculine features- features often hidden by his unintended girlish charm.

"If you want, I can look for your husband and bring him here. I know you said he went looking for help, but we can help you just fine, I think."

"That would actually be very wonderful," She replied, grateful. She understood her husband's reason for leaving her, but all she could think was that a wolf or a bear or something might come for either him or her.

Incidentally, he was having very similar thoughts. He was wandering the forest, trying to find the road again, and chewing on the inside of his bottom lip. He knew he needed to find someone to help his wife and his newborn daughter, but on the other hand, they were sitting in the forest, defenseless. Under normal circumstances, Tarot could handle herself better than she ought to be able to, but these were not normal circumstances.

The pit in his stomach only grew larger. The longer he lingered, the less at ease he became. The hairs on the back of his neck stood on end: he did not like this place. Why was it so green? If it was a coniferous forest, that would be one thing, but these trees ought to have shed their leaves long ago, but they remained lush, untouched by the changing of the seasons. He should not tarry. So he should keep on his path, and find someone to aid him. But if there really was something amiss, he should return to his family, and be their eyes and their shield. Still, if he was overreacting, then he would be wasting time that would be better spent getting out. So he should try to find help.

But if he was not overreacting... Tarot held a doctorate in folklore (and anthropology), and told tales about the fair folk. He knew the stories well.

Exhaustion. That is all it was. He was exhausted. He did not even believe in the supernatural. Hell, he did not even believe in God. But his wife did. Deeply. And she spoke often about an Other World that overlapped with the one where they resided.

He shook the thoughts of the mystical from his head, and decided to continue walking to the road. Not that anyone would be likely to stop for him. Besides being six foot five (and a half), the rain had only washed the blood from his hands. His shirt was still stained with the fluid, and if that did not make him look enough like a murderer, the dark circles under his eyes firece, hawk eyes did.

Adatia stood tall, even if he was remarkably short, and left his basket by Tarot. He sped out of that particular part of the woods, and began to search for the woman's husband, only realizing after he was fairly far from her that he'd never gotten her husband's name, not their daughter. To him, the baby would just be called 'his bundle of joy' in his head, because that was the best he could think of. He couldn't imagine renaming someone's baby just because he'd forgotten to get its name.

It took some time for Adatia to realize that he should just follow the pathway through the woods, because most humans would use that to get in and out more easily. Instead, Adatia had opted to climb trees, jumping between them or climbing up and down, just to get a better view and find the man that seemed out of place.

Finally, he saw the giant that was out of place, and rushed up to him. "Excuse me, are you Tarot's husband?"

((Wow, so I wrote up this reply hours ago, and just now realized that I never actually hit send. Yikes, my bad))

Dark whipped around, and for a few moments looked around until it occurred to him to look down. When he did, and say Adatia, and how distinctly not-quite-human he was, he took two large steps back, "Who the hell are you? How do you know her?"

Considering this strange person (?) was two feet shorter than him, at least, Dark didn't really perceive him as a threat, but he still remained on his guard. It was in his nature to be distrustful, especially when out of his element.

"I met your wife while I was picking berries in the forest. She looked famished, so I shared some. She really needs you at her side right now. I know you're looking for help since you're basically stranded in these woods, but... I think family is more important at a time like this, don't you think?"

Adatia bowed slightly with a mix of a curtsy included to keep his dress off the ground. "My name is Adatia. My father and I run a general store in these woods. I tried inviting Tarot and the little one to our shop for food and drink, but she refused to leave her spot, probably because she wanted you to come back to her and not have any worries. I'd still like to invite the three of you over for a meal. Your wife looked really famished, and I doubt just some berries we shared is enough to ease her hunger."

Back