Hidden Among the Trees

Dark followed him out of the room so that he could say, "if you do not mind, make Ivy's clothing first. I do not want her to get cold." Then he went back into the room with his wife and child.

They didn't know where the guest room was, but after a few moments of discussing if they should search for it or not, found it, and for the first time were able to lay their daughter down in a crib. They knew that, more than likely, she would only be asleep for about an hour, maybe two, but it was something. She was only fourteen hours old, and there was an overwhelming sense of security once they were able to put her down for the first time in her life. Then, after taking a moment to take it in, Dark and Tarot sat down on the bed, and slept for the first time since Tarot went into labour.

Typically, Dark slept like a bear, Tarot like a bird, but one of them had worked much harder, and fell into a much deeper sleep, and the other one was paranoid and vigilant. But regardless, sleep, no matter how long it lasted, was exactly what they needed.

It took a number of hours for Adatia to finish making some lovely baby clothes. The pro about working on an infant's clothes is it was a lot faster, since it used a lot less fabric. It helped that Adatia had a knack for such domestic tasks, and also that he was beyond excited to see Ivy wear the clothing he made. Holding up the simple and sweet dress, he smiled proudly at his success. Before he was going to get to Tarot's dress, he wanted to give their daughter something made to avoid her catching a chill. He carefully walked into the guest bedroom, giggling slightly. The entire family was, in some way, sleeping.

He walked to the bed and laid the dress down at the edge of it, trying his best not to make a sound as he walked. Unfortunately, one of the floorboards creaked as he was walking back towards the door. He looked behind him, praying none of them were woken by the sound.

Dark, after fumbling to untangle his long limbs from how they were wrapped around his wife, sat up straight, and before he had the time to understand what had happened or where he was, went to the crib to hopefully get to his daughter before she started wailing. Unfortunately, he was one second too late, and she erupted in a piercing cry, which woke Tarot.

Dark lifted Ivy up, and rocked her, saying, "Ssh, we are okay, Rainmaker, we are alright, sweet Earthwalker."

"God her cry is loud..." Tarot said, stretching. She, of course, could not see that Adatia was in the room, "Why are you calling her that? Hummingbird, what is Baba call-ing you~?" She yawned, and added, "What happened? Did she just wake up on her own?"

"She was born in the middle of a thunderstorm while we were lost in a forest, it felt right. And no," Dark, who knew that their generous host was in the room, but only now that Ivy was settling back down cared to acknowledge him, "the floorboards squeaked when Adatia was dropping off Ivy's clothing. Thank you, by the way."

Adatia covered his ears as the sound of the baby crying struck his sensitive ear drums. Elves, with their pointed ears, had a very slightly more keen ability to hear, and he could hear that cry better than his father yelling at customers that hit on him. He was relieved when the wailing stopped, and even more relieved the lights weren't that bright to show his blushing face.

"I didn't intend to wake anyone. My apologies. And really, making the clothes is nothing. I'd do it either way because I enjoy it." His smile lit up his face in the darkness- not literally, of course. "But now I'm curious... Are human babies always that loud? My dad never mentions anything about how loud I was, but most of the elven babies I've seen aren't nearly as loud... Probably because they'd hurt their own ear drums if they were."

"They're all loud," Tarot, who also had sensitive eardrums, due to hearing being her main sense, "but Ivy is louder than any of my nieces and nephews ever were."

"It is good to hear her, though, because many premature babies have lung problems. Her being so loud is evidence enough that her lungs are healthy." Dark added, and began to dress Ivy in one of the outfits Adatia had made, grinning and over emoting at the baby as he did so, in a way that was clearly unnatural for him.

Adatia nodded in agreement when Dark pointed out the good side to Ivy's loud cry. He giggled a bit and mentioned, "I hope she grows up big and strong, just like her parents." The boy began to prance back to the room's doorway, looking back behind him with a smile. "I'll be working on some things for Tarot next. It'll probably take a little longer to get a few done, but I'll at least have something you can wear for tomorrow done by twilight."

He skipped out of the room, closing the door behind him, then rushed to his spot at the counter and took out the note that said Tarot's measurements. Placing it with a pen as a paperweight, he began to cut fabric into the right sized pieces, then took his sewing needle and went to work on the emerald green dress he was sure would suit Tarot just fine.

Now, since they were both awake anyways, and more importantly, Ivy was, Dark and Tarot sat down on the bed, and began to play with their daughter, which, considering her age, really just meant they were pulling big smiles and cooing at her.

Not too long later, she was fed, changed, and sleeping again, and Tarot came drifting into the main room, using the walls to guide her, because she needed to stretch her legs.

Back