Hope

Inconspicuous

Super classy secret agent
"David?" Sarah asked, looking up at him. David was intimidatingly tall, but when you looked at him, his warm smile and bright eyes made you forget that. "What is it Sarah?" David asked, looking back at her. She was half his size, though to be fair, almost everyone was half his size. "What made you rescue me?" She asked, looking at him perplexedly. "You never owed me anything. Heck, I didn't even know who you where." David lookelooked back down at her. "Would you have preferred it if I hadn't saved your life?" He asked jokingly. Sarah chuckled. "No, it's not that! I guess what I'm trying to ask is why you helped me? I mean, what motivated you to save some girl on the streets, when just about everyone else was in as much danger as I was, if not more than me?" David sighed. "Sarah, I'm going to answer your question with a question. Why do you try?" Sarah looked at him, confused. "What do you mean why do I try?" She asked. "What makes you want to survive?" Sarah thought for a moment, then said "I guess I just hope that this mess will sort itself out eventually." She said, gesturing vaguely around them. Wrecked vehicles littered the highway. "That's why I rescued you Sarah. Because I had hope." David said. "You know, a very wise man once told me something. He said that: Hope is what we fight for, what we live for, what we die for. Without hope, there's no reason to live." David said solemnly. His voice wasn't as cheerful as it had been. His expression wasn't the same either. It was as if he had been wearing a mask the whole time, and had just taken it off. "I don't get it though. Why me? I'm just some nobody in a world full of people." David looked at Sarah, his expression serious. If you looked into his eyes, you could see that something was troubling him. "I used to have a daughter named Hope. Years ago, before the virus." He paused, sighing. "She was kind, loving, thoughtful. You two would've gotten along well. When the first reports of the virus came in, she was... Bitten." He paused. "We tried to hide her, but they found her." He said 'they' as if it signified everything evil in the world. "They killed her Sarah." Sarah looked at him, still confused. "I still don't get it. What does this have to do with me?" David looked back. "When I found you, I didn't just see some girl. I saw Hope. You're the reason I'm still alive. You gave me a reason to fight. Something to live for, to stand for. Something I would die for." He paused. "You gave me hope"

Back